2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:00 pm

FIRST TEAM
Carson Henningsgard, Hillsboro-Central Valley (Sr.) - Unanimous
Cole Myers, Richland (Sr.)
Seth Nelson, Carrington (Sr.)
Jaden Mitzel, Shiloh Christian (Sr.)
Jaden Hamilton, Rugby (Sr.)

SECOND TEAM
Andy Freier, Kindred (Sr.)
Joe Hurlburt, Enderlin (So.)
Avery Thorsgard, Hatton-Northwood (Sr.)
Scott Wagner, Ellendale (So.)
Lucas Schumacher, Linton-HMB (Jr.)
Doug Yankton, Four Winds-Minnewaukan (Sr.)
Bo Belquist, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Sr.)
Gage Swanson, Beach (Sr.)
Trey Brandt, Beulah (So.)
Jesse White, White Shield (Jr.)
Rhett Hanson, Stanley (Sr.)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2019-2020 ALL-STATE TEAM

Postby leroybla » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 pm

Carrington was 3-19 this past season. Nelson must have scored ALL their points and gotten ALL their rebounds.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:38 am

leroybla wrote:Carrington was 3-19 this past season. Nelson must have scored ALL their points and gotten ALL their rebounds.

23.9 ppg, 11.3 rpg...may have had 3 wins but they were in far more games because of his contributions. (I thought he'd be a 2nd team player)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:32 am

I’m just not very impressed with a few names on the second team. There about 5 kids that come to mind who i would rather have.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:45 am

who would that be
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 am

Some snubs and this is off the top of my head obviously more.

Tyler Loe-DP
Jase Crockett-NC
Noah Swenson- OG
Andre Carrier- Cav
Alex Hubner-EKM
Konschak - HN
Gavin Keller - Kindred
Defender - St. John
Greendahl -NB
Chance Danner - Thompson

The first two and Danner are probably the most surprising to me.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:10 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:Some snubs and this is off the top of my head obviously more.

Tyler Loe-DP
Jase Crockett-NC
Noah Swenson- OG
Andre Carrier- Cav
Alex Hubner-EKM
Konschak - HN
Gavin Keller - Kindred
Defender - St. John
Greendahl -NB
Chance Danner - Thompson

You only get 15 + ties. There are 8 regions in the state. They can't all make it.

What does it matter how many regions there are? Does someone from every region have to make it ? I know not all make it. Don’t you think there’s a problem if you have to come on here all the time and defend your decisions ? Maybe time for a different system, just thinking a lot and bored would love some discussion.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:28 pm

packers21 wrote:Some snubs and this is off the top of my head obviously more.

Tyler Loe-DP
Jase Crockett-NC
Noah Swenson- OG
Andre Carrier- Cav
Alex Hubner-EKM
Konschak - HN
Gavin Keller - Kindred
Defender - St. John
Greendahl -NB
Chance Danner - Thompson

100% agree on Crockett. No on the rest (didn't see Hubner play as an aside). Also did not see a few who made it.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 pm

scc wrote:Assuming there are at least 10 East snubs, how many are there in the West? Where should the cut-off be? It's rarely balanced based on the 8 regions, but that's also something to consider. Also, how many end up just one or two votes short of making it? Is it possible there are players who didn't get enough support from coaches to be pushed for All-State? Nothing wrong with debating the topic.

I asked a friend (coach) from the West he didn’t think anyone was missing from out there, those 10 we’re just kids I’m guessing have numbers comparable to kids on the team. Most newspapers release their numbers. I wish we put them here as well as team W/L. The balance of power is in the East anyways.

So there are no guidelines saying someone from each region needs to be in the teams?
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm

Had heard a lot about a Linton-HMB kid late last season. Someone on here had actually mentioned he might be best in state then. Was wondering if he fell off, got hurt or something else. Had watched him once and thought he was very solid.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:51 pm

scc wrote:
packers21 wrote:
scc wrote:Assuming there are at least 10 East snubs, how many are there in the West? Where should the cut-off be? It's rarely balanced based on the 8 regions, but that's also something to consider. Also, how many end up just one or two votes short of making it? Is it possible there are players who didn't get enough support from coaches to be pushed for All-State? Nothing wrong with debating the topic.

I asked a friend (coach) from the West he didn’t think anyone was missing from out there, those 10 we’re just kids I’m guessing have numbers comparable to kids on the team. Most newspapers release their numbers. I wish we put them here as well as team W/L. The balance of power is in the East anyways.

So there are no guidelines saying someone from each region needs to be in the teams?

No requirement. There have been none from a region before.

Thanks
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Had heard a lot about a Linton-HMB kid late last season. Someone on here had actually mentioned he might be best in state then. Was wondering if he fell off, got hurt or something else. Had watched him once and thought he was very solid.

Hes on the second team
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm

I guess I didn't realize that coaches had to push for their kids to be all-state. I thought that it was completely based on media. Here are my takeaways:

1. It's a good list, someone will always be left off
2. I saw most of these play either on film or in person, I think the only three I didn't would be Nelson, Hamilton and Thorsgard.
3. I personally feel that it is very tough to put a kid on the first team if that players team had 3 wins, that being said I didn't see that player play, but I talked to people that saw him a lot and I'll believe he's a stud. Would have had no problem with a second team selection.
4. It will be really tough for someone to convince me that there were 5 players in the state better than Gage Swanson. His stats speak for themselves and he made beach into a contender (not just this year, but the last three years) so I'm very disappointed that he didn't make 1st team or a Mr. Bball finalist.
5. How many media members vote for this team? Of those members how many saw Swanson, White or Hanson play?
6. I'm not going to get into the East vs. West debate. I know most of the better teams in the state play East of Bismarck, but there are some absolute studs that play out West.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:00 pm

Region 3 should no way have 3 players from there, IMO
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:02 pm

packers21 wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Had heard a lot about a Linton-HMB kid late last season. Someone on here had actually mentioned he might be best in state then. Was wondering if he fell off, got hurt or something else. Had watched him once and thought he was very solid.

Hes on the second team

Good Lord, going blind. Thanks.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Region 3 should no way have 3 players from there, IMO

I agree with you for once!
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby senditin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:28 pm

Bronson Walters from FWM was an obvious snub. Kid didn't have big numbers because he had 2-3 guys hanging on him and he changed the game with his presence. FWM was number 1 all yr and only 1 on the team??
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm

Fun conversation. Would love to see what other people would have gone with for their 15/16. I think the list is solid. No one jumps out to me as a player that should not have been on. Mine before seeing the results was tiered like this.

Tier 1 - 4 Players
Myers - 1ST TEAM
Henningsgard - 1ST TEAM
Mitzel - 1ST TEAM
Yankton - 2ND TEAM

Tier 2 - 4 Players - just going in order by region
Hurlburt - 2ND TEAM
Hamilton - 1ST TEAM
Brandt - 2ND TEAM
Swanson - 2ND TEAM

Tier 3 - 7 Players - just going in order by region
Keller - he did not get on but Freier did
Wagner- 2ND TEAM
Nelson -1ST TEAM - I had him lower as he did not win much
Schumacher -2ND TEAM I had him lower as he did not win much
Huber - he did not get on
Walter - he did not get on
White - 2ND TEAM

I did not have Thorsgard, Belquist, Freier, or Hanson but think they are all deserving picks.
Players I would have voted for who did not get on were Gavin Keller, Alex Huber, and Bronson Walter.

Edit - looking at mine I can see that it is Region 3 heavy also. Wagner is 1 of the best bigs in the state and we saw that at the state tournament last year. I think Schumacher is very, very talented, potential Mr. Basketball finalist. Thought Huber stood out in the Edgeley games that I watched, but could see where a person would go with a Hatton-Northwood player. Nelson was a returning All State player and definitely did not get worse at basketball, just had less help.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

senditin wrote:Bronson Walters from FWM was an obvious snub. Kid didn't have big numbers because he had 2-3 guys hanging on him and he changed the game with his presence. FWM was number 1 all yr and only 1 on the team??

Thought the same thing about them being 1 all year was going to name Walters but they just didn’t have anyone else with the numbers. It’s a problem for them but a good problem with the depth and talent they have.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 pm

balla45 wrote:Fun conversation. Would love to see what other people would have gone with for their 15/16. I think the list is solid. No one jumps out to me as a player that should not have been on. Mine before seeing the results was tiered like this.

Tier 1 - 4 Players
Myers - 1ST TEAM
Henningsgard - 1ST TEAM
Mitzel - 1ST TEAM
Yankton - 2ND TEAM

Tier 2 - 4 Players - just going in order by region
Hurlburt - 2ND TEAM
Hamilton - 1ST TEAM
Brandt - 2ND TEAM
Swanson - 2ND TEAM

Tier 3 - 7 Players - just going in order by region
Keller - he did not get on but Freier did
Wagner- 2ND TEAM
Nelson -1ST TEAM - I had him lower as he did not win much
Schumacher -2ND TEAM I had him lower as he did not win much
Huber - he did not get on
Walter - he did not get on
White - 2ND TEAM

I did not have Thorsgard, Belquist, Freier, or Hanson but think they are all deserving picks.
Players I would have voted for who did not get on were Gavin Keller, Isaac Huber, and Bronson Walter.

Edit - looking at mine I can see that it is Region 3 heavy also. Wagner is 1 of the best bigs in the state and we saw that at the state tournament last year. I think Schumacher is very, very talented, potential Mr. Basketball finalist. Thought Huber stood out in the Edgeley games that I watched, but could see where a person would go with a Hatton-Northwood player. Nelson was a returning All State player and definitely did not get worse at basketball, just had less help.

Agree on most. Don’t agree on the Wagner piece tho. My first off would be him and first on would be Crockett
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm

DISAGREE about the Keller kid, good player but not close to all state player, Frier kid was well deserving
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Fully agree that he was deserving. Just was stating how I would have voted. There are currently 0 sports so this is entertaining conversation.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:04 pm

packers21 wrote:
senditin wrote:Bronson Walters from FWM was an obvious snub. Kid didn't have big numbers because he had 2-3 guys hanging on him and he changed the game with his presence. FWM was number 1 all yr and only 1 on the team??

Thought the same thing about them being 1 all year was going to name Walters but they just didn’t have anyone else with the numbers. It’s a problem for them but a good problem with the depth and talent they have.

I thought Jayden Yankton could have made the team before Walters. I was impressed with him each time I saw them play this year. Not sure what his numbers were but noticed him above 20 pts many games this season. I expect him to have a stellar year next season as the go to guy on the team.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm

balla45 wrote:Fully agree that he was deserving. Just was stating how I would have voted. There are currently 0 sports so this is entertaining conversation.

Not much else to do
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:29 pm

I could really get you going if want, enderlin kid is probably 5th best player in region 1 but made all state. Get you steamming now.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys