State tournament and coronavirus

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State tournament and coronavirus

Postby 3on3 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:20 am

When can we get the hydroxycloroquine? I'm not a Dr. but from the results i have seen it is definitely worth the try.
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B Historian » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:12 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Per the vote today, indefinite suspension continues. Vote on May 1st to determine tournament fate & spring sports.

If you want a chance for sports to be back sooner rather than later #DoYourPart

The key part of the NDHSAA release:

The Board of Directors will re-evaluate on May 1, 2020 with the resumption of Spring Sports, Winter Basketball State Tournaments, and Fine Arts Contests to be considered only if a return to in-person K-12 instruction is imminent.

It's already mid-April. Does anyone really believe there is any chance kids will physically be back in the classroom this spring? This thing is not going to happen.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:48 pm

yup
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:11 pm

If schools are never in session again this spring, that rules out the regular spring sports -- but does it also rule out finishing Class A and B basketball tournaments from competing during the summer?

And one other question (although moot now), if school had opened again in late April/early May, would spring sports have been all-or-nothing? With pitch counts, baseball would have been pretty much impossible, but softball might have been able to get a fair amount of games in. Would the NDHSAA have faced legal challenges if they allowed some sports but not others?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:33 pm

vikingman wrote:If schools are never in session again this spring, that rules out the regular spring sports -- but does it also rule out finishing Class A and B basketball tournaments from competing during the summer?

Basically the vote on May 1st is for everything still on the table...spring sports & activities AND the Winter Basketball Tournaments

The Board of Directors will re-evaluate on May 1, 2020 with the resumption of Spring Sports, Winter Basketball State Tournaments, and Fine Arts Contests to be considered only if a return to in-person K-12 instruction is imminent.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:15 am

kids are going to school, just doing it from home, so its not like they are not doing any school activities
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:33 am

hoophoophoop wrote:kids are going to school, just doing it from home, so its not like they are not doing any school activities

Yep heard yesterday that that is an argument that is being discussed as well.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Vikings2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:00 pm

What do u guys think about what Trump said today, Sports on Tv with no fans to start? Our state was mentioned.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Vikings2009 wrote:What do u guys think about what Trump said today, Sports on Tv with no fans to start? Our state was mentioned.

Burgum has stated he'd welcome the NHL to Grand Forks...when/if that time would come. Lots of logistics involved though.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon May 04, 2020 9:52 am

ND could have easily got theses tournaments in, real sad, would have been world news maybe, but it is what it is, Hoophoophoop is out, good luck to all the kids and teams next year.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon May 04, 2020 1:11 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I fully believe sports and school will start and resume as they regularly have in August.

Lets just use FB as an example. How do you think that will work?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Flip wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:I fully believe sports and school will start and resume as they regularly have in August.

Lets just use FB as an example. How do you think that will work?

First day of practice is a full 90 days from now. Do you really think we're going to be under the same guidelines/precautions at that time? Things are starting to resume now. If there was more than a couple weeks left of school this year, I believe DPI would be sending kids back to school next week. It comes to a point where you can't have everything shut down forever.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon May 04, 2020 3:16 pm

I'm just running scenarios through my head and what if it is midseason and a FB player tests positive what is the appropriate action?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon May 04, 2020 3:39 pm

Flip wrote:I'm just running scenarios through my head and what if it is midseason and a FB player tests positive what is the appropriate action?

What they do now when a player tests positive for influenza....nothing. I believe that by this fall there will be quicker tests, a better understanding of the virus, and a treatment for it. Everything can't continue to come to a standstill when someone contracts something, especially something with a very low mortality rate. People with high risks are going to have to be more vigilant in what they do, but I think a lot better sanitation practices will come from this as well that will help protect more people. I know I'm more than likely in the small minority on this topic, but that's my opinion
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon May 04, 2020 4:02 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Flip wrote:I'm just running scenarios through my head and what if it is midseason and a FB player tests positive what is the appropriate action?

What they do now when a player tests positive for influenza....nothing. I believe that by this fall there will be quicker tests, a better understanding of the virus, and a treatment for it. Everything can't continue to come to a standstill when someone contracts something, especially something with a very low mortality rate. People with high risks are going to have to be more vigilant in what they do, but I think a lot better sanitation practices will come from this as well that will help protect more people. I know I'm more than likely in the small minority on this topic, but that's my opinion

Honestly, I think there are way too many unknowns right now in May to make any assumptions; I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to scenarios cause we just don't know. I do know that schools were never going to go back this school year.

I've heard a vaccine in August, September, December and next summer...so who knows what to believe. My hope is that by mid-May we'll finally be plateauing and starting our decline (we'll see I guess).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Mon May 04, 2020 5:35 pm

I believe the NDHSAA can use the state as a guideline. If students are allowed back into schools in August and colleges open their campuses, then fall sports will start as normal. If schools are still closed next August, no fall sports until schools open. I fully expect schools to be open and operating normally next fall. To me, the big question is - What happens if an athlete(s) or a student(s) tests positive once we have started - do we just shut down or do we find some way to work around it?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon May 04, 2020 5:40 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I believe the NDHSAA can use the state as a guideline. If students are allowed back into schools in August and colleges open their campuses, then fall sports will start as normal. If schools are still closed next August, no fall sports until schools open. I fully expect schools to be open and operating normally next fall. To me, the big question is - What happens if an athlete(s) or a student(s) tests positive once we have started - do we just shut down or do we find some way to work around it?

What other states do will come into play as well...especially our neighboring states.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Mon May 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I believe the NDHSAA can use the state as a guideline. If students are allowed back into schools in August and colleges open their campuses, then fall sports will start as normal. If schools are still closed next August, no fall sports until schools open. I fully expect schools to be open and operating normally next fall. To me, the big question is - What happens if an athlete(s) or a student(s) tests positive once we have started - do we just shut down or do we find some way to work around it?

What other states do will come into play as well...especially our neighboring states.

To a point, I know a lot teams play Minn, SD or Montana teams, but they could have fall sports without playing out of state. It would affect VB more than FB I would think, but yes, what other states do will have an impact on what ND does.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon May 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

To a point, I know a lot teams play Minn, SD or Montana teams, but they could have fall sports without playing out of state. It would affect VB more than FB I would think, but yes, what other states do will have an impact on what ND does.

I wasn’t even considering the out of state play with my previous post...more so that ND likes to follow others.

We are in uncharted waters right now and what we do over the coming months will determine fall sports.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon May 04, 2020 8:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

The current situation we're in is going to hurt/kill FB numbers, especially if we treat it like it is no big deal if you get sick. Worst part is HS kids probably won't show symptoms and then they're going to go home to a diabetic parent, or a younger sibling with asthma? I don't see it.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby imjustafan » Tue May 05, 2020 4:58 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I wasn’t even considering the out of state play with my previous post...more so that ND likes to follow others.

We are in uncharted waters right now and what we do over the coming months will determine fall sports.

And don't forget Tri-State, whose players come from North and South Dakota AND Minnesota.

Don
imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDPREP » Tue May 05, 2020 9:16 am

And if we are back to normal and full classrooms, if one kid in the school gets it are they going to cancel activities for 2 weeks? Its almost impossible in the smaller schools that you wouldn't have contact with all the kids at some point.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed May 06, 2020 11:16 am

NDPREP wrote:And if we are back to normal and full classrooms, if one kid in the school gets it are they going to cancel activities for 2 weeks? Its almost impossible in the smaller schools that you wouldn't have contact with all the kids at some point.

If someone tests positive, I can see the school being shut down for 2 weeks which would include sports. The travel issue is going to be big for schools and the NDHSAA. It's going to be an interesting fall. (We are being told to make plans for distance learning next fall.)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon May 11, 2020 7:39 am

Rumor is they want to get a tourney together in New Town, travel ball set up
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:56 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Rumor is they want to get a tourney together in New Town, travel ball set up

Come on man :roll:
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys