State tournament and coronavirus

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State tournament and coronavirus

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm

I have to think there is a chance this doesn't happen or at the very least it's played without fans.
Last edited by Flip on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: State tournament and coronaivirus

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Why?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Re: State tournament and coronavirus

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:51 pm

My guess would be that spring sports may be affected way more than the State Class A & B tournaments. We have been lucky thus far that our area hasn't been affected as greatly as other areas.

Class A is on as scheduled...haven't heard anything about Class B (might be a wait and see scenario).

I know some schools have had the discussions of 'what-if' we have to shut down for a short period of time already.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

It would be interesting to know if coronavirus has affected any regional tournament attendances. I attended the first round of the R1 tournament in Wahpeton and the fans seemed to "space" themselves.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 pm

Dom Izzo
@DomIzzoWDAY
Updating this; the NDHSAA says that the State A basketball and Boys Class B tournament will move forward as planned. The association visited with the North Dakota Board of Health tonight and said there was no need to change plans.

This could still flip in a second if you ask me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:21 pm

This will be an ever-changing situation...again we've been pretty lucky so far that this area of the country has had very few positive tests.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:23 pm

leroybla wrote:It would be interesting to know if coronavirus has affected any regional tournament attendances. I attended the first round of the R1 tournament in Wahpeton and the fans seemed to "space" themselves.

Attendance has been down IMO at R1 but I'm not sure that the coronavirus is the main contributor to that.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:58 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:This will be an ever-changing situation...again we've been pretty lucky so far that this area of the country has had very few positive tests.

I'd like to stay ahead of it and keep that way.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:25 pm

Was hoping this would be 1 place where this subject wouldn’t come up. Should have realized the long arm of media has grabbed everyone by the throat and strangled them into fear. Unreal.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Old Drifter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:59 pm

classB4ever wrote:Was hoping this would be 1 place where this subject wouldn’t come up. Should have realized the long arm of media has grabbed everyone by the throat and strangled them into fear. Unreal.

You saying the concern isn’t warranted???
Old Drifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 pm

Old Drifter wrote:
classB4ever wrote:Was hoping this would be 1 place where this subject wouldn’t come up. Should have realized the long arm of media has grabbed everyone by the throat and strangled them into fear. Unreal.

You saying the concern isn’t warranted???

Concern, yes. Any strain of flu is concerning to those who have a weak immune system. Complete hysteria pushed at every available opportunity? Ask the questions where it started, why and why right now? Only 1 person’s opinion.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:20 am

I would say its "day to day"...with what the NBA and NCAA has done...

NDHSAA Coronavirus Statement
MARCH 11, 2020 2:30 PM

The NDHSAA has been communicating regularly with the North Dakota Department of Health (NDDoH) regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in the United States. The NDHSAA is aware that this is a rapidly evolving situation and will continue to monitor events that are happening in our state. At this time, all remaining NDHSAA basketball tournaments will continue as scheduled. Currently there are no recommendations from the NDDoH that alterations to tournament schedules or fan attendance are necessary. Arena staffs will take extra precautionary measures, including increased hand sanitizer stations and disinfectant of high-touch areas. While we want all fans to enjoy our events, we encourage fans who are ill or at higher risk for severe illness to stay home and enjoy the events on television or online. Together we will remain responsive to the recommendations and requirements of the CDC and NDDoH.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 am

Wisconsin will conduct Boys and Girls Basketball State Tournaments with limited fan attendance.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:00 am

It will be interesting to see how the first confirmed case impacts things. A lot took place between when the NDHSAA issued their statement and now. I hate to even think about it but yes....unfortunately I am beginning to worry that the state tournament will be greatly impacted. I hope not but the reality of the situation is fast changing. I'm sure it will be re-evaluated this weekend/the beginning of next week. Very hard to predict the status of things come next week.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:26 am

NDHSAA just posted a new statement as of 9:45am (CT)

https://ndhsaa.com/news/1683/ndhsaa-cor ... -statement

Still on as scheduled but an ever-changing situation. (MN still on as scheduled too).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Tho I think we have not reached a point here in ND to require any serious mitigation with the B, I agree that could change rapidly-. I do think they should start an immediate option to refund tickets and hotels to those who have fear/risk, also keep the refunds open close to start so that people who may feel a bit sick can decide to sit it out versus they must attend...just my 2c.

The other problem is that if North Dakotans are told they cant do something because of a specific reason, and that reason doesn't happen, or is a lot less than forecasted, the next time they are told not to do something, a lot more ignore,,,Ie driving in winter storms and closed roads :mrgreen:
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Vikings2009 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:51 pm

I sure hope the state b stays on schedule and not go into panic mode. One of heck of a overreaction in one night. I’m sure North Dakota will be fine for quite some time.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Vikings2009 wrote:I sure hope the state b stays on schedule and not go into panic mode. One of heck of a overreaction in one night. I’m sure North Dakota will be fine for quite some time.

You're a health professional with pandemic experience?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Vikings2009 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:56 pm

Flip wrote:
Vikings2009 wrote:I sure hope the state b stays on schedule and not go into panic mode. One of heck of a overreaction in one night. I’m sure North Dakota will be fine for quite some time.

You're a health professional with pandemic experience?

You bet Cowboy!!!
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDPREP » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 pm

The problem that people fail to realize is these pandemic situations are doubling scenarios, so you get 1 case, then 2, then 4 doesn't seem bad. But then you go 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 and it rapidly escalates. Italy and europe are seeing the reported 5% death rate (200 people died in a 24 hours period), flu is typically .1% so this virus is a real cause for concern especially for people in compromised groups. People tend to go oh Im safe and will just get a little sick but in europe 10% of healthy people are ending up hospitalized from it but not dieing. Couple that with the fact that incubation can be 3-14 days and you are infectious while that is occurring you have a chance to spread it to a whole host of compromised people before you would even know it, you know say at a state tournament where a lot of grand parents or older people might be coming to watch grand sons, grand daughters, nieces, and nephews play....

Maybe not a reason to climb into that bunker in your back yard but taking precautions and avoiding crowded shoulder to shoulder venues? not a terrible idea.
NDPREP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby eatdatpierogi445 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:16 pm

NDPREP wrote:The problem that people fail to realize is these pandemic situations are doubling scenarios, so you get 1 case, then 2, then 4 doesn't seem bad. But then you go 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 and it rapidly escalates. Italy and europe are seeing the reported 5% death rate (200 people died in a 24 hours period), flu is typically .1% so this virus is a real cause for concern especially for people in compromised groups. People tend to go oh Im safe and will just get a little sick but in europe 10% of healthy people are ending up hospitalized from it but not dieing. Couple that with the fact that incubation can be 3-14 days and you are infectious while that is occurring you have a chance to spread it to a whole host of compromised people before you would even know it, you know say at a state tournament where a lot of grand parents or older people might be coming to watch grand sons, grand daughters, nieces, and nephews play....

Maybe not a reason to climb into that bunker in your back yard but taking precautions and avoiding crowded shoulder to shoulder venues? not a terrible idea.

That being said, See ya at the B!
eatdatpierogi445
NDPreps Rookie

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 am

Agree! Stay home if your health can't take the risk or if your sick. I'm in the age group that isn't effected as much and you can't use the 4% death rate because they have already said they don't have all the information. People may have had this flu and recovered but were not tested. For all you freaks out there, just keep buying up all the toilet paper and you'll be fine. The rest of us are not dead and need to live our lives. So red faced this is even a discussion right now. :oops:
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:34 am

I'd rather we be wrong by being over cautious than be wrong and assume it's "no big deal." One way slows the spread of the virus and worst-case-scenario forces more to watch on TV. The other way puts thousands at risk and has the possibility to create an outbreak.

You might be unlikely to die from the virus, but you're very likely to become infected with it and spread it. Would you risk your life on a 1-5% chance? Would you risk your dad's life? I know my answer.

"The media" didn't force one of the most money hungry organizations in the country to cancel its biggest moneymaker. The NCAA walked away from almost a billion dollars when they cancelled March Madness, not to mention all of their other tournaments. "The media" didn't force Italy to completely shut down and the USA to institute a European travel ban.

Unless I missed the annual "big media" meeting where everyone agreed it was time to create an international panic, I'm going to go with this being something worth being concerned about instead of a "media created conspiracy."

Wash your hands. Stay out of big crowds. Cover your mouth. Unless you think 1-5% is good enough for you.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:50 am

MN just canceled the rest of the girls state tournament and next weeks boys tournament.
I'll be shocked if the ND hosts their tournament next week.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby defense1st » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:55 am

Postponement would be the smartest choice. The Event Center can find another weekend for it, and I'm sure the teams would be happy to wait.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys