State tournament and coronavirus

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State tournament and coronavirus

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:51 am

Vikings2009 wrote:Our states biggest event cancelled. What a shame!! Could have finished the 3 games out easily before any other season started no matter what month. Why not postpone? Terrible Decision!!!!!

PER THE NDHSAA: The winter & spring seasons are STILL technically SUSPENDED. If they are held, they will be at a further time when we curb our situation; do your part to help us win this battle cause the NDHSAA is still committed to attempting to get these in.

(I am aware of what was said on broadcast today)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Vikings2009 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:10 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Vikings2009 wrote:Our states biggest event cancelled. What a shame!! Could have finished the 3 games out easily before any other season started no matter what month. Why not postpone? Terrible Decision!!!!!

When did it get cancelled? Thought it was still postponed?

Kfyrtv posted it.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:17 am

At the current pace we are on...it’s looking grim and this will have lasting effects into next school year nationwide! Warnings were not (and still are not) being heeded by many...and that will be our demise to this school year/sports season.

Hopefully our student-athletes are staying safe, heeding the warnings and are staying healthy so that they’re ready for whatever season is their next!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:59 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:At the current pace we are on...it’s looking grim and this will have lasting effects into next school year nationwide! Warnings were not (and still are not) being heeded by many...and that will be our demise to this school year/sports season.

Hopefully our student-athletes are staying safe, heeding the warnings and are staying healthy so that they’re ready for whatever season is their next!

We need it to keep spreading. Yes we want it to move through slowly but people can't live in isolation forever. 96% of people that contract the virus survive so right now it is what it is. They classified enough people as essential service that the spread isn't going to stop. Especially with drive-up and food delivery still going on. If they were serious about stopping it we would all be on lock down and that's probably still not enough.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby Vikings2009 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:44 pm

Off subject, instead of airing all these championships from the past seasons why don’t they show the best games this year in class b. Especially the 8 teams that made it to state this year. These kids are the ones they should be showing... I noticed bek only shows the same 2-4 games from same region over and over.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Vikings2009 wrote:Off subject, instead of airing all these championships from the past seasons why don’t they show the best games this year in class b. Especially the 8 teams that made it to state this year. These kids are the ones they should be showing... I noticed bek only shows the same 2-4 games from same region over and over.

Because many of the best games in Class B this year were never televised. The radio stations have done a good job Re-broadcasting a few of them
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:27 pm

Word on the street is that the NDHSAA is looking at the feasibility of holding the tournament in June in Bismarck. They will meet again in mid-April to decide if this is a possibility.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND Sports Fan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:05 pm

B Historian wrote:Word on the street is that the NDHSAA is looking at the feasibility of holding the tournament in June in Bismarck. They will meet again in mid-April to decide if this is a possibility.

I've been hearing the same. Now, its time for the unpopular post of the day.

In my opinion, this ongoing effort to salvage the State B is a blatant money grab by NDHSAA. Hear me out.

First, I am a class B guy, born and raised. I had my hotel rooms and my tickets ordered. I understand the importance of the B in the state of North Dakota, and it is a terrible situation for the communities, schools, and mostly the students who qualified for the tournament and may not get a chance to play.

The state of ND has 244 school districts. Currently, none of those districts are holding traditional classes. Lets leave academics out of this discussion, that is a topic onto itself. Of the 244 districts state wide, all of them offer some sort of spring sport, or co-op to offer spring sports. So you have track, baseball, softball, and golf which remain suspended. It is more likely than not, that all of those seasons will be cancelled, shortened for certain. Lets assume they all end up being cancelled. How many students participate state-wide in the array of spring sports? Several hundreds . . . .maybe thousands? Yet it appears NDHSAA's focus is on find a way to salvage the State B . . . . . . . 8 teams, 15 man roster (if full) is a possible total of 120 students who may get their state tournament while many more students may not get a spring sports season at all.

Now, lets discuss high school seniors. If a current senior participates in track, baseball, softball, or golf and their season is cancelled, some of these students will never see competitive sports in that fashion again. A sad but true reality for so many high school athletes that do not get the opportunity to compete in college. I do not have the figures, but I can imagine there are more senior athletes who compete in spring sports than 120.

It is my wish that all high school sports would have completed the 2019-2020 season. However, that is not our reality. The ND American Legion baseball season has already been cancelled for the summer. NCAA and NAIA collegiate spring sports seasons have been cancelled. What does it say about NDHSAA when they are not only holding on to the hope that spring sports can have some sort of a season, (which I can understand, these sorts are technically "in-season" right now), worse, they seem singularly focused on hold the State B tournament, a tournament that was scheduled to have been completed 2 weeks ago. There is lots of speculation and interpretation that the State B is priority 1 to NDHSAA. I am not hearing the same efforts about finding a way to finish the Class A tournament. Lots of talk and potential plans for 8 schools and 120 students, while 236 other school districts and many, many more students may not get the same attention to finding options. Doesn't it make sense that IF seasons are cancelled, they would be cancelled in season order? Meaning, wouldn't ANY basketball event be cancelled before a spring event?

I am ready for my bashing, as I dared take on the sacred cow that is the ND State Class B tournament. NDHSAA is in unchartered waters, decisions I assume they never imagined having to consider. I believe they need to focus on the bigger picture and ALL of the schools and students they serve. There is a case to be made that they are focusing on the single event that garners the most attention and drives revenue.
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby tommykramer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:28 pm

No way will the B tourney be played if kids aren't back in school, or if spring sports aren't played. Maybe give the men who work on the board a little credit instead of just assuming they're looking at a "blatant money grab". These individuals are elected to do a very hard job and i'm sure this has been more than any of them could have expected. Maybe, just maybe, this is being explored because of the 120 kids that qualified that very likely won't get this opportunity again.
tommykramer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:30 pm

I've heard commitment towards A & B tournaments being finished...not just the B (again only if possible). More and more, each day, it is looking less likely that any sport will be played until maybe the fall (I'm hopeful we'll have some hope of starting things in August). We will know more on any sport decisions on April 14th when the NDHSAA will meet again to discuss the situation further.

Realize if these tournaments do happen, they still likely won't have fans...they aren't going to take that risk (which is another reason why I could see it not occurring).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:04 pm

ND Sports Fan wrote:
B Historian wrote:Word on the street is that the NDHSAA is looking at the feasibility of holding the tournament in June in Bismarck. They will meet again in mid-April to decide if this is a possibility.

In my opinion, this ongoing effort to salvage the State B is a blatant money grab by NDHSAA. Hear me out.

First, I am a class B guy, born and raised. I had my hotel rooms and my tickets ordered. I understand the importance of the B in the state of North Dakota, and it is a terrible situation for the communities, schools, and mostly the students who qualified for the tournament and may not get a chance to play.

The state of ND has 244 school districts. Currently, none of those districts are holding traditional classes. Lets leave academics out of this discussion, that is a topic onto itself. Of the 244 districts state wide, all of them offer some sort of spring sport, or co-op to offer spring sports. So you have track, baseball, softball, and golf which remain suspended. It is more likely than not, that all of those seasons will be cancelled, shortened for certain. Lets assume they all end up being cancelled. How many students participate state-wide in the array of spring sports? Several hundreds . . . .maybe thousands? Yet it appears NDHSAA's focus is on find a way to salvage the State B . . . . . . . 8 teams, 15 man roster (if full) is a possible total of 120 students who may get their state tournament while many more students may not get a spring sports season at all.

Now, lets discuss high school seniors. If a current senior participates in track, baseball, softball, or golf and their season is cancelled, some of these students will never see competitive sports in that fashion again. A sad but true reality for so many high school athletes that do not get the opportunity to compete in college. I do not have the figures, but I can imagine there are more senior athletes who compete in spring sports than 120.

It is my wish that all high school sports would have completed the 2019-2020 season. However, that is not our reality. The ND American Legion baseball season has already been cancelled for the summer. NCAA and NAIA collegiate spring sports seasons have been cancelled. What does it say about NDHSAA when they are not only holding on to the hope that spring sports can have some sort of a season, (which I can understand, these sorts are technically "in-season" right now), worse, they seem singularly focused on hold the State B tournament, a tournament that was scheduled to have been completed 2 weeks ago. There is lots of speculation and interpretation that the State B is priority 1 to NDHSAA. I am not hearing the same efforts about finding a way to finish the Class A tournament. Lots of talk and potential plans for 8 schools and 120 students, while 236 other school districts and many, many more students may not get the same attention to finding options. Doesn't it make sense that IF seasons are cancelled, they would be cancelled in season order? Meaning, wouldn't ANY basketball event be cancelled before a spring event?

I am ready for my bashing, as I dared take on the sacred cow that is the ND State Class B tournament. NDHSAA is in unchartered waters, decisions I assume they never imagined having to consider. I believe they need to focus on the bigger picture and ALL of the schools and students they serve. There is a case to be made that they are focusing on the single event that garners the most attention and drives revenue.

I actually admire the NDHSAA approach. Most other state associations cancelled the remainder of the basketball tournaments without holding out to see what happens.

I think everyone accepts the reality that at absolute best case sports could be played again by the end of May. How do you even plan to hold any sort of spring season in any sport under those conditions? You would need at least a week or ten days of practice before competition begins.

With basketball however, you would need one game to crown a State A girls champ, three games for a State A boys champion and three days to hold the State B in some form. Why would you not leave open the possibility when it may actually have some feasibility? If the answer is because it is unfair to spring sports, then that is some petty reasoning.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:40 pm

ND Sports Fan wrote:

So, because they haven’t cancelled the b-ball tourney, they aren’t focused on spring sports? Theses men are more worried about the b than the thousand or so kids in spring sports? That’s probably why they were elected by their peers...
‘Singularly focused”....
“Lots of speculation and interpretation”
“I’m not hearing the same effort is being made for class A”
“ I believe they need to focus on the bigger picture and ALL of the schools and students they serve. There is a case to be made that they are focusing on the single event that garners the most attention and drives revenue.“

I’m not sure where to begin but - are you serious? Honestly, you should be ashamed of this post. You are unequivocally uninformed. At an embarrassing level.

Here’s an idea. Call NDHSAA. Talk to the director (Fetsch). I’ve heard he’s really approachable. Call your local elected rep. Go to a meeting. Do anything besides spewing the garbage you just did here. It’s not only untrue, but it’s irresponsible to post it.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND Sports Fan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:11 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

So, because they haven’t cancelled the b-ball tourney, they aren’t focused on spring sports? Theses men are more worried about the b than the thousand or so kids in spring sports? That’s probably why they were elected by their peers...
‘Singularly focused”....
“ I believe they need to focus on the bigger picture and ALL of the schools and students they serve. There is a case to be made that they are focusing on the single event that garners the most attention and drives revenue.“

I’m not sure where to begin but - are you serious? Honestly, you should be ashamed of this post. You are unequivocally uninformed. At an embarrassing level.

Here’s an idea. Call NDHSAA. Talk to the director (Fetsch). I’ve heard he’s really approachable. Call your local elected rep. Go to a meeting. Do anything besides spewing the garbage you just did here. It’s not only untrue, but it’s irresponsible to post it.

I readily agreed to take my bashing since I DARED question the decision making regarding the State B, I have thick skin, I can certainly take it . . . However, Flying Wallenda, I WILL NOT sit back and take such vile comments from you referring to me as "irresponsible", "spewing garbage" and being "unequivocally uniformed".

For years I have believed this to be a discussion forum for information exchange, conversation, point-counterpoint discussion, and mostly OPINIONS. There are countless threads on this site through the years where exchange of opinions are openly debated. Items such as All-State teams, Mr. Basketball winners, greatest teams of all-time, and controversial items such as the Football realignment plan. All of these are places where people openly express their opinions and perceptions without being called names.

In a country of free speech, are you equally as "irresponsible" for telling me that my opinions are not worthy of this board? I suggest you re-read my post. None of it is based on anything other than my thoughts and opinions on the matter being discussed. I clearly express there is speculation and interpretation . . . . perception is reality. I have talked to many coaches of spring sports, and I am hearing the same things from all of them. "We hope there is some semblance of a spring season". This is generally followed by, "If the Class B is played and our seasons are cancelled, I will be furious".

For the record, I have known Matt Fetch for many years, unlike you, who has "head he is approachable", I actually know him to be very approachable and broad minded. He is a person who would clearly understand the perceptions and frustrations of people being impacted by these decisions and open to a conversation about those perceptions.

If this is now ONLY A FACT BASED forum, that is fine, but then, EVERY MEMNER needs to re-evaluate their posts. Giving your opinion on who should win certain awards is opinion, based on "speculation and interpretation", and could be deemed "irresponsible", "garbage" and "unequivocally uniformed".
ND Sports Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:55 am

ND Sports Fan wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:

‘Singularly focused”....

I readily agreed to take my bashing since I DARED question the decision making regarding the State B, I have thick skin, I can certainly take it . . . However, Flying Wallenda, I WILL NOT sit back and take such vile comments from you referring to me as "irresponsible", "spewing garbage" and being "unequivocally uniformed".

For years I have believed this to be a discussion forum for information exchange, conversation, point-counterpoint discussion, and mostly OPINIONS. There are countless threads on this site through the years where exchange of opinions are openly debated. Items such as All-State teams, Mr. Basketball winners, greatest teams of all-time, and controversial items such as the Football realignment plan. All of these are places where people openly express their opinions and perceptions without being called names.

In a country of free speech, are you equally as "irresponsible" for telling me that my opinions are not worthy of this board? I suggest you re-read my post. None of it is based on anything other than my thoughts and opinions on the matter being discussed. I clearly express there is speculation and interpretation . . . . perception is reality. I have talked to many coaches of spring sports, and I am hearing the same things from all of them. "We hope there is some semblance of a spring season". This is generally followed by, "If the Class B is played and our seasons are cancelled, I will be furious".

For the record, I have known Matt Fetch for many years, unlike you, who has "head he is approachable", I actually know him to be very approachable and broad minded. He is a person who would clearly understand the perceptions and frustrations of people being impacted by these decisions and open to a conversation about those perceptions.

If this is now ONLY A FACT BASED forum, that is fine, but then, EVERY MEMNER needs to re-evaluate their posts. Giving your opinion on who should win certain awards is opinion, based on "speculation and interpretation", and could be deemed "irresponsible", "garbage" and "unequivocally uniformed".

You questioned the character of the board of the NDHSAA - of which I know many. That is irresponsible of you, and I believe that questioning the character of men on an anonymous board is garbage. As for unequivocally uninformed? Maybe I know something you don't. Finally, in my opinion on who should win awards, I never questioned or called into the character of those that voted for the awards. Lastly, if you deem my comments as "vile" that you are irresponsible, some of your comments are garbage, and you are uninformed, I'd say your skin isn't as think as you think. "Vile"?! Good Lord.

That being said, I do enjoy the banter, certainly this board is opinion based, etc.....no way should the b boys tourney be played if we don't go back to school or if we skip the spring season.......and I sure don't think it will!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:33 pm

It shouldn't be that hard to get the B tourney in, if things settle down and they get enough testing equipment in all you have to do is test everyone before the tournament, assuming they can get the tests in, same for baseball. Why you so against them playing. They got the season in let them finish it. Spring a little different, Don't you think 90% of the kids in the tourney play spring sports. GO CLASS B, KEEP THE TOURNEY ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:06 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:It shouldn't be that hard to get the B tourney in, if things settle down and they get enough testing equipment in all you have to do is test everyone before the tournament, assuming they can get the tests in, same for baseball. Why you so against them playing. They got the season in let them finish it. Spring a little different, Don't you think 90% of the kids in the tourney play spring sports. GO CLASS B, KEEP THE TOURNEY ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that you at have a plan to get it done.
Problems IMO:
1) going to have to get approval NDDOH, or some governing agency
2) $$$ who is going to pay for those tests?
3) I think you have to seclude the teams for the tournament (this is probably the easiest)
4) haven't even talked about practice time
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:13 pm

I think your just wasting time on state tournaments and spring sports if they will be played or not. Its my opinion is how do we get back to even starting up our schools and then sports this fall with wide spread fear there is in communities and the nation. We have been talking social distancing now for better part of couple months now and come fall were going to just start up like its normal I just don't see how that's going to happen. I got to believe were going to have covid 19 still around by fall because even right now we have had less than 250 cases in the state now how do we expect not to have on going cases yet this fall. We haven't had 1% of population confirmed cases even in the state of North Dakota so this is not going away by this fall unless they come up with vaccine or done enough testing showing large portion of population have had this virus. This may not be rational thinking but people are frightened by this virus so its going to take time for people to over come these fears. Also there is threat of legal action to say we would get transmission of disease while playing sports. My belief its going to take much longer before we get back to normal activities and high school sports because were dealing with peoples children. Look how hard it is even for professional sports to find appropriate time to start up and how they will start up.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:52 pm

b-oldtimer, I'm on your side. I started a thread that had to do with all sports
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14293

I'm of the belief there won't be HS sports next school year.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:37 am

I fully believe sports and school will start and resume as they regularly have in August.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:34 pm

SD was considering the completion of its basketball state tournament June 15-20. The SDHSAA officially cancelled those plans this week after the governor shut down schools for the remainder of the year.

The big difference between ND and SD is that SD had 5 1/2 tournaments to complete which logistically was probably impossible to pull off. It will be very interesting to see what comes of the NDHSAA meeting on Tuesday and if they continue to kick the can down the road in the face of some long odds.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:13 pm

Like I said before there will be no way they are going to get any of sports in this year. I read they did have contingent money set aside for this but not enough if this continues. I am thinking this is going to be much worse than anybody thought even couple of weeks ago because I just don't see where were going to get back to doing normal activities until we have vaccine or majority of the people have built resistance up to this. This all comes back to where were still looking over a year before either one of those things happen. My reasons for this people are scared of this virus and not willing to take big risks with it and second will be any business or group that takes risks for other than essential services and work will be opening themselves up to lawsuits. Weather legal risks are valid or not it takes money and resources to even respond to these things. I have never seen what's happening in my lifetime on how people are reacting and responding to this virus. I think this virus has unique symptoms but world has seen similar experiences but this is first time where were experiencing this with social media and instance reporting making people much more aware of this in the past. So my thinking is NDHSAA association may need to look at how they are going to survive this in coming year. It could mean that they will have no revenues coming in for 18 month period but like all things will have fixed expenses still occurring depleting money reserves. I hate to be so negative but were already seeing big divisions on how were handling this covid 19 where in past people rally around government would wait until we got through this crisis to determine what we did right or wrong and to be truthful I don't think we will know until we get through this. People need to know if history teaches anything looking back its easy to find mistakes people make but at time decisions are being made it may have been best decisions with circumstances and facts at hand. I believe there are going to be many tough decisions to be made in next few months for many organizations dealing with this virus.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:33 pm

Its not that hard, you have approx 20 kids from each team, get them tested, get refs tested and play. The warm weather will help. Look in the hotter countries, not a whole alot of cases.Just wait a couple more weeks. No need to react to what SD did.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:29 pm

Let’s just wait and see and do our part to slow and curb the spread. Yes, things will improve over the summer but it will not take much for another outbreak to occur in the fall. The state has proven they will not jump to drastic decisions until they are needed...Sports will return BUT they can’t until it is safe for all. The State is NOT going to risk the lives of anyone to play a tournament if it is not safe...which is why they are in a wait-and-see mode.

#DoOurPart
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:40 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:Its not that hard, you have approx 20 kids from each team, get them tested, get refs tested and play. The warm weather will help. Look in the hotter countries, not a whole alot of cases.Just wait a couple more weeks. No need to react to what SD did.

Is there any evidence testing will that easily available? I would think you need the tests with minimal turnaround time.
There has been some debate whether the warmer weather will help stop the spread. I wouldn't put any stake in the fact that warmer countries has less cases. Far more likely they have inadequate testing/reporting.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:16 am

Per the vote today, indefinite suspension continues. Vote on May 1st to determine tournament fate & spring sports.

If you want a chance for sports to be back sooner rather than later #DoYourPart
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys