Mr. Basketball 07

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:59 pm

It really doesnt seem right to take away the award of a B player because they dont play in a big town. Some of these guys only get recognized if they make the state tourney. Lorenz and Ironheart have done that and they will get recognized but they dont get seen nearly as much as an A player. I still see Kick or Qvale getting it.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:21 am

Well i'm done arguing about it being biased....cause you have to quit beating a dead horse......but i'm gunna go with the underdog and say Luke Lorenz....MPCG has been improving at a pretty good rate....and in a down region with only about 3 quality teams anything is possible..
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby region1 football » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:49 am

A few years back wasnt there some other kids from mpcg that were up for mr basketball...umm.....was it a Nelson?  Who won it that year?
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby region1 football » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:01 am

I am guesing that Koenig was a class A kid.  Ya I remeber watching Nelson play and thinking...WOW...Now that is a Grade A ball player.
region1 football
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:35 am

i still think being named to the all-state team is an honor. I mean i think some people don't realize that mr. basketball is for the best player. there can't be more than one. it's tough when the members of the press who vote on it don't get a chance to see everyone, then they vote on who they know. yes it flawed but's its all we have and it will be nearly impossible to correct it.
PA42

Postby WildWarrior » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:58 pm

The problem with that is that coaches vote for one award and the media for Mr. Basketball.  I remember in 1999-2000 Robert Lawrence was not Class B senior of the year but was the highest Class B vote getter for Mr. Basketball.
Last edited by WildWarrior on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWarrior
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:18 pm

Very good point on Craig Nelson getting snumbed. He didn't put up big numbers. But he ran one of the best teams in North Dakota Class B history to perfection. He lead MPCG to 50 straight wins. All that and not get named Mr. Basketball... Class B players only get recognized if they make it to state. Fargos, Bismarcks, Dickinsons, Minots, they all get coverage everynight from there local tvs. Every now and then a class B game will feature highlights if its a battle of two top teams in the state or if its a shootout held at a big city.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballfan_05 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:39 pm

very true
bballfan_05
NDPreps All-State

Postby project-pat » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:15 pm

chea, very true indeed haha
project-pat

Postby The Schwab » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:24 pm

I know this is off the subject? but who choose's the Lions all star teams? because i personally know of the biggest snub from that.....Chris Reinhart was a candidate for Mr. Bball in 2002 i believe (the year tommy lykeas won it) and he wasnt on the Lions team
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:31 pm

The Schwab wrote:I know this is off the subject? but who choose's the Lions all star teams? because i personally know of the biggest snub from that.....Chris Reinhart was a candidate for Mr. Bball in 2002 i believe (the year tommy lykeas won it) and he wasnt on the Lions team

the coaches chose lions all star.  Are you sure that he got snubbed?  or did he choose not to play because he had another commitment during the summer.  I know girls that are chosen for both basketball and volleyball have to choose one or the other.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:18 am

I hate when people say that Class B doesnt have equal competition. I'm guarantee alot of teams can compete in Class A. Like Hazen, Trinity, Killdeer, Last year's bowman team, MPCG, and the other 6 teams in the top 10. I'd like to see that. It could be like the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Have the top 4-8 class B square off against the top class A teams.
project-pat

Postby cdub1 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:09 am

project-pat wrote:I hate when people say that Class B doesnt have equal competition. I'm guarantee alot of teams can compete in Class A. Like Hazen, Trinity, Killdeer, Last year's bowman team, MPCG, and the other 6 teams in the top 10. I'd like to see that. It could be like the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Have the top 4-8 class B square off against the top class A teams.

people say class b doesnt have equal competition because the bottom is much different a class b team can play 3 or 4 teams that are as bad as valley city in one year the best teams are usually somewhat close but it is the bottom that makes it inequal

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bballer2 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:07 am

cdub1 wrote:
project-pat wrote:I hate when people say that Class B doesnt have equal competition. I'm guarantee alot of teams can compete in Class A. Like Hazen, Trinity, Killdeer, Last year's bowman team, MPCG, and the other 6 teams in the top 10. I'd like to see that. It could be like the ACC/Big 10 challenge. Have the top 4-8 class B square off against the top class A teams.

people say class b doesnt have equal competition because the bottom is much different a class b team can play 3 or 4 teams that are as bad as valley city in one year the best teams are usually somewhat close but it is the bottom that makes it inequal

good point from a class a player... he is exactly right... some teams have very strong schedules but then again its easier to have an easy schedule because there are more weak teams then strong teams.... but overall very true statement...
bballer2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:26 pm

bballer2 wrote:
cdub1 wrote:

good point from a class a player... he is exactly right... some teams have very strong schedules but then again its easier to have an easy schedule because there are more weak teams then strong teams.... but overall very true statement...

That is a very true statement. So can someone please tell me why class B ballers dont get the same respect as class A when it comes to Mr. Basketball?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby project-pat » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:31 pm

cdub1 wrote:

yeah its pretty easy to have some bad teams when there's as many teams as there are in class B.
project-pat

Postby baller01 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:44 pm

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"
yeah its pretty easy to have some bad teams when there's as many teams as there are in class B.

And when some schools only have 30 boys to choose from. Maybe only 10 go out. And outa those 10, 3 or 4 are freshmen. Pretty hard for every school to be good when you dont have numbers.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ping Pong » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:49 pm

i think u r rite. kick will probably win in a landslide. he so dominant and if somehow he duznt win, another class A player will win.
Ping Pong

Postby PA42 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:46 am

this is not to talk about if class a is better than class b. i think this is about some players who deserve mentioning for this award nothing more. if it was called politics of mr. basketball that would be fine, but we're just talking talent.
PA42

Postby LiveForHim » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 pm

hey lets see how lorenz does when he is not surrounded by 4 other great players
LiveForHim
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:09 am

SCC wrote:There's a lot of season left.  Let's see how it all plays out.

It is too early to start predicting who is going to be Mr Basketball!  I mean come on!  It is January!  Lets start talking about this stuff in March! :alc:
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:04 am

how long has this topic been going and now you guys start complaining its too early.  its an opinion topic to give people something to talk about and who they "think" the finalists will be.  i havnet seen anyone post the actual finalists and results yet....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:07 am

baseball wrote:how long has this topic been going and now you guys start complaining its too early.  its an opinion topic to give people something to talk about and who they "think" the finalists will be.  i havnet seen anyone post the actual finalists and results yet....

Ok, My prediction, Tony IronHeart, Four Winds.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Ping Pong » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:15 am

Tony ironheart will not win. its going to be kick. i have not seen ironheart but i doubt it. this is the first time he even been mentioned.
Ping Pong

Postby The Schwab » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:27 am

Ironheart is a very good ball player...and if Kick wins...it will be because he's from a town with media coverage....no other reason
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys