The "other" regions...(not 1 or 2)

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

The "other" regions...(not 1 or 2)

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:56 pm

LOL. Since only R1 & R2 fans are the only active ones on the board(So I've heard)

Any thoughts on the other 6??? I would think R4 is as open as R1 or R2 with 3 or 4 legit teams. I know there are a few R7 fans that will chime in that there is some parity there?? All the others a one-horse race at varying levels??? or just the opposite that about anyone could emerge???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Re: The "other" regions...(not 1 or 2)

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:12 pm

justplayalready wrote:LOL. Since only R1 & R2 fans are the only active ones on the board(So I've heard)

Any thoughts on the other 6???

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:15 pm

I would say currently IMO Region 7 would have tiers like this: In each tier I have the teams ordered how I would rank them.

Tier 1- They are all solid and very capable of putting together 3 solid games to win the regional tournament. I would be shocked if one of them didn't come out of the region

Dickinson Trinity- 8 deep, good shooters, post play is more solid this season. They are long and athletic, They've played in like 17 of the last 18 region title games. They will be playing in the championship this year.

Bowman- Might be the scariest team in the region. They have two legitimate all state caliber players. They have athletic guys and play very hard. They go about 8 deep. If teams can slow down CD and JS they could have trouble scoring, but other guys are streaky and could get hot.

Beulah- One of the best guards in the state in TB, they aren't as deep as Beulah teams in the past. Their role players are streaky shooters and their post player is very big and tough to keep off the boards.

Tier 2- These teams are pretty solid, on the right night they could give the top 3 a run for their money.

Hazen- The bison have 2 very solid players in ID and GW. If they get some contributions from their younger kids shooting the ball they could definitely slide into tier one.

Beach- One of the best players in the state, and probably the best player no one east of the river knows about in GS. They have a couple of really nice pieces around him and they can score in bunches. They throttled the next team on this list in early January, but a lot can change down the stretch.

New England- Very, very athletic team. Streaky shooters and pretty good at attacking the rim.

Tier 3- The rest, I think some of these teams might be a little ahead of others but that's why they play the game (Order could change on the given night, and yes I know some teams have wins against others on this list)

Hettinger- Scranton
Glen Ullin- Hebron
Heart River
Mott-Regent
Killdeer
Richardton Taylor
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:04 pm

Region 3 is going to come down to Kidder County, Strasburg-Zeeland and Linton-HMB from District 6 and Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier, Ellendale and Oakes in District 5. (LaMoure may be able to upset one of those 6) Right now EKM is probably the favorite but any of those 6 teams could get hot and win 3 at the Regional Tournament. Whichever team finishes 4th in District 6 is simply going to be cannon fodder for whoever wins District 5 in the 1st round of the Region. I personally would like to see Region 3 go to the Super Region format.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sorenson23 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:40 pm

My predictions for the other six regions (ARE IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER
):

Region 3- Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier, Ellendale, & Strasburg-Zeeland, Linton-HMB
Region 4- Four Winds-Minnewaukan, St. John, Benson County
Region 5- Shiloh Christian, Underwood, New Salem-Almont (this is a little closer, the margin has closed some here).
Region 6- Rugby, Our Redeemer's, Drake-Anamoose
Region 7- Beulah, Bowman County, Dickinson Trinity (toughest region to call IMO).
Region 8- Powers Lake, New Town, North Shore-Plaza

Region 1- Richland or Enderlin
Region 2- Hatton-Northwood or Hillsboro-Central Valley

My state tournament teams:

R1- Richland
R2- Hatton-Northwood
R3- Edgeley-Kulm-Montpelier
R4- Four Winds-Minnewaukan
R5- Underwood (upset pick)
R6- Rugby
R7- Beulah
R8- Powers Lake

I would love to see the other six regions go to the super region format. If there's not going to be a third class of basketball. A super region format IMO would make up for it right now.
Sorenson23
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:48 pm

Region 4 is very interesting this year.
Four Winds is the favorite this year like many years.

Langdon, St. John, New Rockford, Dakota Prairies will be right there.

Dunseith and Benson County can't be overlooked either.

District 8 championship will be huge to avoid a possible first round battle with Dakota Prairie and avoid FW till region championship. Dunseith hosting districts is huge for them, they're a team that can make a post season run with that home court advantage.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:31 pm

FWM, NRS, LME, and SJ are the top teams in Region 4. DP, BC, and Dunseith are a tier below. Should be a great region tournament with seeds from each district being very important. The second tier teams could pull an upset.

My prediction is FWM does not come out of Region 4, just have a feeling an upset is going to happen. BUT if they do make it to state they win it all. If another team makes state, Region 4 is not in the championship game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby RockNRoll » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:56 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:FWM, NRS, LME, and SJ are the top teams in Region 4. DP, BC, and Dunseith are a tier below. Should be a great region tournament with seeds from each district being very important. The second tier teams could pull an upset.

My prediction is FWM does not come out of Region 4, just have a feeling an upset is going to happen. BUT if they do make it to state they win it all. If another team makes state, Region 4 is not in the championship game.

After playing the toughest schedule in the state and winning all so far I would disagree. I would say there best play is yet to come, especially in the post season after last year.
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justplayalready » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:44 pm

As far as region 6 goes...With Rugby losing tonight, the blueprint to beat them would be a top 10 team, shooting better than normal, getting the almost all 50/50 calls to go all their way, and Rugby shooting terrible until last 4 minutes & on your court...This year there is no other R6 team close to capable to do that..IMHO it would be miraculous for any one other than Rugby to come out of 6.

Rugby will have all the R6 teams in running time that they play during the regular season...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby james » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:31 am

Shiloh gets all 50/50 calls. It is ridiculous that a Shiloh parent (not any current players but of a former player) was one of the officials, I just don't understand why they do what they do but hey it's Shiloh so I guess its all good.
james
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:55 am

james wrote:Shiloh gets all 50/50 calls. It is ridiculous that a Shiloh parent (not any current players but of a former player) was one of the officials, I just don't understand why they do what they do but hey it's Shiloh so I guess its all good.

Generally speaking, AD's hire an association to officiate a game and then the association makes the assignments.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby james » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:13 pm

That is correct, but the official could turn down the assignment because of a conflict of interest.
james
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:00 pm

RockNRoll wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:FWM, NRS, LME, and SJ are the top teams in Region 4. DP, BC, and Dunseith are a tier below. Should be a great region tournament with seeds from each district being very important. The second tier teams could pull an upset.

After playing the toughest schedule in the state and winning all so far I would disagree. I would say there best play is yet to come, especially in the post season after last year.

I agree they've played the toughest schedule and have been battle tested, but their closest games have come against Region 4 opponents. NRS, SJ, and LME have also added tough nonregion schedules this year following FWM blueprint. It's going to be a great region tourney and whoever comes out of it will be ready for the rest of the state.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby spins » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:56 am

justplayalready wrote:As far as region 6 goes...With Rugby losing tonight, the blueprint to beat them would be a top 10 team, shooting better than normal, getting the almost all 50/50 calls to go all their way, and Rugby shooting terrible until last 4 minutes & on your court...This year there is no other R6 team close to capable to do that..IMHO it would be miraculous for any one other than Rugby to come out of 6.

Rugby will have all the R6 teams in running time that they play during the regular season...

it is the worst region 6 i can remember. Normally very strong.
Rugby will be in championship but to pick who they will be playing is a total craps shoot.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 am

Flip wrote:
james wrote:Shiloh gets all 50/50 calls. It is ridiculous that a Shiloh parent (not any current players but of a former player) was one of the officials, I just don't understand why they do what they do but hey it's Shiloh so I guess its all good.

Generally speaking, AD's hire an association to officiate a game and then the association makes the assignments.

I was curious about that as well. When we played Shiloh they had one of the Travel Ball coaches for a few of the kids ref'in the game. Not saying he did not do a good job but I think it would be impossible for him to call the game evenly.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 pm

spins wrote:
justplayalready wrote:As far as region 6 goes...With Rugby losing tonight, the blueprint to beat them would be a top 10 team, shooting better than normal, getting the almost all 50/50 calls to go all their way, and Rugby shooting terrible until last 4 minutes & on your court...This year there is no other R6 team close to capable to do that..IMHO it would be miraculous for any one other than Rugby to come out of 6.

Rugby will be in championship but to pick who they will be playing is a total craps shoot.

Even at the last week of the season, I'm not sure you can pick a second...everybody beating each other in a lot of close games.
I'd like to say it will be Velva, Drake/A, ORCS, MLS??? But none of these four are automatic to even get out of Districts...If you take Rugby out of the mix, I'd say its the most competitive Region this year...just cant compete with other regions...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:51 pm

justplayalready wrote:
spins wrote:

Even at the last week of the season, I'm not sure you can pick a second...everybody beating each other in a lot of close games.
I'd like to say it will be Velva, Drake/A, ORCS, MLS??? But none of these four are automatic to even get out of Districts...If you take Rugby out of the mix, I'd say its the most competitive Region this year...just cant compete with other regions...

Region 3 is very balanced this year as well...after EKM lost to the 12th best team in R1...I'm not sure I see a clear favorite (District 5 just won a majority of matchups with District 6 the other night too). District 5 has 6 teams capable of making Regions this year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby spins » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:26 am

justplayalready wrote:
spins wrote:

Glenburn vs Rugby R6 championship. No privates.
spins
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 pm

As R6 sits tonite in 2021 I'd put the top 4 as Minot R, Drake/ A, Minot OR then probably MLS...Drake would be the only D11 team to not be a one and done...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:01 pm

After watching the beat down Linton-HMB put on Strasburg-Zeeland last night I seriously doubt if SZ has a chance to get out of the 1st round in Region 3. Extremely undisciplined on defense and got taken out of their offense completely by L-HMB's defense. Had to question why a Linton kid threw down an impressive dunk and then did a pull up on the rim and never got a technical though.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby tigertown35 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:16 am

I would say region 6 is wide open especially if Bundy Smith is out a while. Even when they had him they were playing some close games. In district 11, lot of implications tonight. If Velva beats Westhope-Newburg they will be the 1. If they lose and Bottineau beats Nedrose, they will be the 1. Rugby and Drake play tonight for the battle of the 3 seed. If Drake loses I think they would drop to the 5 since they lost to TGU. In district 12 ORCS will be the 1 but they lost to the district 11 7 seed Westhope-Newburg. Ryan will be 2 MLS will be 3. It is really a toss up between ORCS, Rugby, Velva, Bishop Ryan, Drake Anamoose, MLS, and Bottineau with some big upsets possible from some dark horses.

Region 8 I see it coming down to Powers Lake, and White Shield but there’s potential for an upset from a team like Kenmare who recently beat previously ranked #7 Dunseith by 13.

Region 4 I see Four Winds coming out especially if they can shoot like they did against Langdon consistently. Teams like Dunseith and St. John can get hot from deep and possibly give Four winds a run in regionals but if Four Winds plays like they can, I think they come out of 4 unscathed.

Region 5 I don’t see anyone giving Shiloh a run

Region 7 Beulah vs Trinity in regional championship again unless Bowman can get one of them.

I don’t watch them much but region 3 sounds very interesting this year. Who’s gonna come out between EKM, Ellendale, Linton HMB, Oakes, Lamoure?
tigertown35
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:28 am

tigertown35 wrote:
Region 4 I see Four Winds coming out especially if they can shoot like they did against Langdon consistently. Teams like Dunseith and St. John can get hot from deep and possibly give Four winds a run in regionals but if Four Winds plays like they can, I think they come out of 4 unscathed.

I don't see any team in Region 4 giving FWM a run during tournament time. NRS gave them a pretty good game, but they have also struggled with much weaker teams. I haven't seen Dunseith play, though. St. John cannot match up with FWM and we saw that LEM can't either.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:21 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
tigertown35 wrote:

I don't see any team in Region 4 giving FWM a run during tournament time. NRS gave them a pretty good game, but they have also struggled with much weaker teams. I haven't seen Dunseith play, though. St. John cannot match up with FWM and we saw that LEM can't either.

Tournament games tend to be different than Regular Season games...Langdon will probably have 'something up their sleeve' that they didn't show...if they meet again. When you start to discredit quality teams is when they sneak up on you and knock you off...and there are plenty of occurrences of this in past Region tourney history.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:27 pm

Region 4 championship looks to be played at the Betty this year before Region 2 championship. DL doesn't want the tournament this year.

Is this the HSAA way of trying to see if 4 regions would work? or maybe an East and West super region tournament with top 4 going to state.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:04 pm

Semifinal and Championship night of the Region 3 Tournament could be 4 great games. District 5 is going to send 4 really good teams into the Regional Tournament (EKM, Ellendale, Oakes, LaMoure) and District 6 is going to have 2 good teams (Linton-HMB and Strasburg-Zeeland). The 1st day of the tourny should see 2 blowouts (D5#1/D6#4 and D5#2/D6#3) and two good games, but after that it should be a great tournament.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys