region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: region 1

Postby leroybla » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:31 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
defensewinsgames wrote:My predictions for tonight's play-in games:

G1: #9 Milnor-North Sargent (6-14) @ #8 Maple Valley (11-9) by 7 to 10 points
G2: #13 Sargent Central (1-18) @ #4 Central Cass (13-7) by 20+
G3: #12 Wyndmere-Lidgerwood (4-15) @ #5 Oak Grove (9-11) by 15
G4: #10 Lisbon (8-12) @ #7 Tri-State (11-9) by 2 to 5 points
G5: #11 Hankinson (5-13) @ #6 Northern Cass (13-7) by 15+

The most interesting one to me is Lisbon and Tri-State. They played on the last game of the season and it was a very close game. I think this one will be similarly close. Often it comes down to who learned the most from the last game. I think Lisbon gets this one on the road (gut feeling). Milnor vs. Maple Valley could be interesting but I think Maple Valley handles business. I would be surprised if the other ones were competitive the whole game.

No disagreements; Lisbon/Tri-State is in Rosholt which is a better gym then where final game was played (Fairmount). The 8/9 & 7/10 games should be very competitive. CC, OG & NC should have no problems with their matchups...slow starts could hinder them but depth will be key here.

Very interesting that a North Dakota regional tournament game is being played outside of North Dakota.

Central Cass 85, Sargent Central 43 final.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:48 pm

R1 Predictions? Here are my thoughts on what will be a great tournament.

3 p.m. – #1 Kindred vs. #8 Maple Valley - Kindred by 15

4:30 p.m. – #5 Oak Grove vs. #4 Central Cass - CC by 4-5

6 p.m. – #2 Enderlin vs. #7 Tri-State - I predict a very tight game this time around. Enderlin by 5-6.

7:30 p.m. – #3 Richland vs. #6 Northern Cass - Richland in a very close 1-2 pt game.

Semifinal predictions:

Kindred over CC, Richland over Enderlin. Both games down to the wire. Kindred goes to state, CC takes 3rd for pride.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 pm

Is Richland healthy? If they have everyone back... Hard to bet against them .... if they are healthy... I say Richland and Kindred in the final... if Not I will go Kindred and Eagles... and Kindred going...
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:55 pm

Richland is a full go, they have to play flawless this year to get to Bismarck, there so many scenarios that could happen this year, I can see NC upsetting Richland, OG beating CC, CC beating Kinnerd, but my gut tells me it will be a rematch between Kinnerd and Richland. I would still say Kinnerd is the team to beat. The one x factor for Richland is Mr Cole Myers, if hes on his game and the other do there thing they can do it. It will be a great Region. GOOOOO Colts!!!!!!!!!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 3on3 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:37 pm

My not so humble predictions for the tourney :wink:

My opinions for Region 1
Monday
3 p.m. – #1 Kindred vs. #8 Maple Valley – by 20
4:30 p.m. – #5 Oak Grove vs. #4 Central Cass – by 5
6 p.m. – #2 Enderlin vs. #7 Tri-State - By 10+
7:30 p.m. – #3 Richland vs. #6 Northern Cass – 8-10
Tuesday
Kindred vs Oak Grove - by 9
Enderlin vs Richland - by 10-12
Thursday
3rd place
OG vs Enderlin
Championship
Kindred vs Richland by 5-6. If Richland is at full strength as stated above it’ll be tough to compete with the athleticism and experience from last year. Kindred did handle them during the regular season so I’m sure it will be one heck of a game if it plays out this way.

A side note… New bleachers would be nice at the Blikre. Got spoiled last year at the SHAC!
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lennylive » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:07 pm

I Say if Enderlin puts 3 good games together..They will go to State

They Beat Tristate by 16 at Tristate...without Gus
Came from 18 down in the 3rd ..in Richland and won by 6
Almost came back and beat Kindred in Kindred... shooting a dismal 29%..and missing first 2 men off the bench...1 with a pulled back muscle..the other went out in the 1st qtr with a big cut above his eye

Held off a good CC team in Enderlin..16 pt win
Held off a surging OG team after leading by 24 at half... came out the 2nd half and shot Horribly..still won by 9

H/N lost 2 games this year...1 to Enderlin...1 to 4WM..
There is a reason Enderlin has been in the top 10 since the 2nd poll

GO EAGLES !
lennylive
NDPreps Starter

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:23 pm

lennylive wrote:I Say if Enderlin puts 3 good games together..They will go to State

Almost came back and beat Kindred in Kindred... shooting a dismal 29%..and missing first 2 men off the bench...1 with a pulled back muscle..the other went out in the 1st qtr with a big cut above his eye

Held off a surging OG team after leading by 24 at half... came out the 2nd half and shot Horribly..still won by 9

GO EAGLES !

I’ll say you don’t make it past Tri-State. TriState 81 Eagles 78

Great Game Tri-State!!!

In the words of Dennis Green ”They are who we thought they were” but this time we didn’t let em off the hook.
Last edited by GOPACKGO!!! on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:35 pm

It is an upset, and Tri State deserves the credit. They owned the inside game, plain & simple, even with Enderlin having a huge height advantage. Even the radio announcers mentioned so. Tangen is a very good and underrated player for Tri State. I hope he’s playing college football somewhere.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:06 am

lennylive wrote:I Say if Enderlin puts 3 good games together..They will go to State

GO EAGLES !

Yep. That happened. I don't know how... They needed to play some defense. Giving up 81 points in Whap gym is hard to do.
And yes... they are young and will be back. They need to learn how to use the gifts god gave the group of kids which will come with age.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Central Cass 72, Kindred 57 in R1 semis.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:01 am

leroybla wrote:Central Cass 72, Kindred 57 in R1 semis.

Yes, That happened! I dont know how, Kindred needed some Defense! Letting CC shoot 56% in Whap is hard to do!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:51 am

hoophoophoop wrote:I will go with in region 1

1. Richland
2. Central Cass
3. Kindred
4. Enderlin
5. Oak Grove
6. Northern Cass
7. Tri-State
8. Milnor/Gwinner
9. Lisbon
10.W-L
11. Maple Valley
12. Hankinson
13. SC

If Richland wins, was pretty close
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 am

All-Region 1 Boys Basketball Team

Kindred: Andy Freier, Gavin Keller, Dawson Schaffer
Northern Cass: Jase Crockett, Connor Jensen
Central Cass: Owen Warrey, Josh Dixon
Richland: Gavin Reiland, Cole Myers, Carter Lingen
Enderlin: Gus Hurlburt, Joe Hurlburt
Oak Grove: Noah Swenson
Tri-State: Jared Tangen
Lisbon: Reese Holmstrom

Coach of the Year: Brad Woehl, Kindred

Sr. Athlete of the Year: Cole Myers, Richland

Congrats to all of the above kids from Region 1. Not all kids can make it, but I really thought a few were overlooked. Specifically, Preston Bohnenstingl from Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and Kobbervig from Central Cass. Preston is one of the top players in R1, he just happens to be on a team at the bottom of the Region. It would be nice to find stats somewhere as I would bet that Preston was one of the top scorers in the Region.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:54 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:All-Region 1 Boys Basketball Team

Congrats to all of the above kids from Region 1. Not all kids can make it, but I really thought a few were overlooked. Specifically, Preston Bohnenstingl from Wyndmere-Lidgerwood and Kobbervig from Central Cass. Preston is one of the top players in R1, he just happens to be on a team at the bottom of the Region. It would be nice to find stats somewhere as I would bet that Preston was one of the top scorers in the Region.

Interested in who you would remove to add PB? He is a very good player, but also a Jr on the 12th team in the region. I would guess he has a good chance to make it this next year. Don't think stats tell the story all the time, sometimes they are skewed if you are a good player on a bad team.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:02 am

Honestly not one of these is a shock. You have 15 spots and not all schools are going to get a player; consistent stats are one thing to look at within region games and these players had consistent, dominant stats no matter their opponent.

W-L could be looking at two players next year and a move up the region all on team improve. PB did put up great numbers (I witnessed him put up nearly 30 in the First Round) but it is hard to take any one on the above list off.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:03 am

I thought the game was played with much intensity throughout. Few turnovers. Richland played good defense, particularly on the perimeter and made many key shots. Richland coach made good use of his bench (he had to) and they made free throws (mostly) towards the end. The game ended in a free throw shooting exhibition and would likely been a single digit victory for Richland otherwise, IMO.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:43 am

packers21 wrote:

Interested in who you would remove to add PB? He is a very good player, but also a Jr on the 12th team in the region. I would guess he has a good chance to make it this next year. Don't think stats tell the story all the time, sometimes they are skewed if you are a good player on a bad team.

It wouldn’t be right to name any of these players that could possibly be left off...all are deserving. I’m just saying that PB would’ve been on my list. Now, if he was at a higher profile school (like an Oak Grove for example) you can be sure he’d be on this all Region team because you’d see highlights on the news after every game.

the team I cheer for didn’t have any which I had no problem with, my opinion is based on watching every team & giving my own evaluation. I watched PB go for 34 points in a game where he really stood out, and a box & one was the only way to stop him. If someone does have some actual stats, like they do provide in class A, it would be interesting to see. It is unfortunate that us fans of class B basketball don’t have stats at our fingertips.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:16 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

It wouldn’t be right to name any of these players that could possibly be left off...all are deserving. I’m just saying that PB would’ve been on my list. Now, if he was at a higher profile school (like an Oak Grove for example) you can be sure he’d be on this all Region team because you’d see highlights on the news after every game.

the team I cheer for didn’t have any which I had no problem with, my opinion is based on watching every team & giving my own evaluation. I watched PB go for 34 points in a game where he really stood out, and a box & one was the only way to stop him. If someone does have some actual stats, like they do provide in class A, it would be interesting to see. It is unfortunate that us fans of class B basketball don’t have stats at our fingertips.

Except you wouldn't because local news rarely made it there this year...it was usually Class A or heck, HS basketball was lucky to make it on the evening news.

Guarantee he makes the team next year along with the big kid because they will both improve and they won't be at the bottom of the Region.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:05 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Except you wouldn't because local news rarely made it there this year...it was usually Class A or heck, HS basketball was lucky to make it on the evening news.

Guarantee he makes the team next year along with the big kid because they will both improve and they won't be at the bottom of the Region.

Local media has nothing to do with All-Region picks it’s a coaches vote. OG actually had the Bolme kid who I thought had a better year than Kobbervig and could of made the team. PB is a very good player and like I said has a good shot next year, I’m not sold on the big kid making that big of jump next year but he’s going to be a problem.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm

packers21 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Local media has nothing to do with All-Region picks it’s a coaches vote. OG actually had the Bolme kid who I thought had a better year than Kobbervig and could of made the team. PB is a very good player and like I said has a good shot next year, I’m not sold on the big kid making that big of jump next year but he’s going to be a problem.

Coaches vote on this so they know best on who should make the team...there are always 'snubs' on any All-Region or All-State list.

Rundown on seed with players on Team
1 - Kindred (3)
2 - Enderlin (2)
3 - Richland (3)
4 - Central Cass (2)
5 - Oak Grove (1)
6 - Northern Cass (2)
7 - Tri-State (1)
10 - Lisbon (1)

1st - 3rd Seed - Teams tend to get 2 or 3...on average 7 players of 15 player team (8 this year)
4th - 6th Seed - Teams tend to get 1 or 2...on average 5 players of 15 player team

I agree that Bolme could have made the team but after realizing what the Top 3 teams were going to get it was less of shock to know he didn't make it. The region was stacked with talent; remember we kept saying that any of the Top 6 could make some noise in the tourney...seems fitting that those top six teams would make up the majority of the All-Region team (13 of 15). Not much space left for other players.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:31 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
UNDSiouxfan wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Coach of the Year: Brad Woehl, Kindre

Coaches vote on this so they know best on who should make the team...there are always 'snubs' on any All-Region or All-State list.

Rundown on seed with players on Team
1 - Kindred (3)
2 - Enderlin (2)
3 - Richland (3)
4 - Central Cass (2)
5 - Oak Grove (1)
6 - Northern Cass (2)
7 - Tri-State (1)
10 - Lisbon (1)

1st - 3rd Seed - Teams tend to get 2 or 3...on average 7 players of 15 player team (8 this year)
4th - 6th Seed - Teams tend to get 1 or 2...on average 5 players of 15 player team

I agree that Bolme could have made the team but after realizing what the Top 3 teams were going to get it was less of shock to know he didn't make it. The region was stacked with talent; remember we kept saying that any of the Top 6 could make some noise in the tourney...seems fitting that those top six teams would make up the majority of the All-Region team (13 of 15). Not much space left for other players.

^^^^^^^accurate.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:49 am

Congrats to the Richland boys,great tourney. You would think if your going to be the favored the next two years in Region 1 you think you take your kids there to take in the experience, thats right they don't need to because they are invincible!!
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:54 am

[quote="hoophoophoop"]Congrats to the Richland boys,great tourney. You would think if your going to be the favored the next two years in Region 1 you think you take your kids there to take in the experience, thats right they don't need to because they are invincible!!

It's sad that their team and others won't get the State B experience. Being a senior dominated team, I expect that the next few years will be rebuilding years for Richland.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:29 am

leroybla wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:Congrats to the Richland boys,great tourney. You would think if your going to be the favored the next two years in Region 1 you think you take your kids there to take in the experience, thats right they don't need to because they are invincible!!

It's sad that their team and others won't get the State B experience. Being a senior dominated team, I expect that the next few years will be rebuilding years for Richland.

He was referring to another team that wasn’t at the regional championship atleast I think so anyways.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 3on3 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:11 am

You would think the ones who got on the all region team would at least show up and receive their award(s)? Maybe not??
3on3
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Boys