Mayville State Shootout

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby rep » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:49 am

Anyone have the pairings for the Comet Shootout/Classic/Whatever?
Last edited by rep on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
rep

Postby PA42 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:19 pm

the first game between gcc and ncw will be slow paced and for the second year in a row will be griggs county's first victory of the season. H/n and ashby could be a classic. Ashby has Risbrudt kid who's a stud. I think they might ranked in class  (i'm not sure). Hatton-Northwood rarely gets beaten by more than ten and has some good athletes in the wolds, and tony evanstad. Hillsboro and ashby won't be to close but Rotvold will have his kids ready. I see ashby winning by fifteen or twenty. H/N will dominate a young outclassed norman county west team. Last season ncw started several freshman, which shows youth and a lack of talent in the upper classes. The last game of the night between mpcg and stephen argyle will be a battle. S/A returns several key players such as jesse sundby, kyle gratzek, kolby gruhot and a very nice player in blake schepanski. i see a very good game.
PA42

Postby PA42 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:37 pm

norman county west defeated gcc in an ugly contest by four. Give griggs plenty of credit though, they were down by as much as 25. They showed a lot of heart by coming back. Hatton-Northwood defeated the fifth ranked arrows of ashby. I was informed of two things. Their top player elliot risbrudt was gone and that ashby has little depth. They brought eight or nine guys to the game. It was a very sloppy game and neither teams looked great, but hatton-northwood impressed me with their center mark wallace. Although hatton-northwood has areas they need to work on they will go far because of the pace they play at and the intensity they have at all times. i was suprised in the outcomes of both games.
Last edited by PA42 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby baller01 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:45 pm

Wallace is a very physical post. He makes his moves with authority. He is very hard to push around because of his size and physicality.
[font=Times New Roman][/font] 
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:59 am

SCC wrote:Congrats to Hatton-Northwood, handing Ashby their first loss of the year.  The score was 52-49.
this wasn't as great of a win as you'd think. both teams looked bad. Ashby looked unorganized and tentative. Hatton-Northwood is a nice team, but has dominant players. Yes Mark Wallace has flashes of greatness but at times he is lacks strength. i just think it took him time against a 6'6" nearly three hundred pounder. Ben Strand hit some very big shots and zach wold is a nice athlete but their defense is vulnerable. a little too agressive for their own good. what you need to defeat hatton-northwood is a solid zone breaker. If you hit some out side shots and move the ball around to exploit their agressivness they are a beatable team. But give coach konschak credit he has his guys ready to play. and oh yeah ashby was without one of the top players in the state in elliot brisbrudt, but again congratulations to hatton-northwood as they simply outhustled and outplayed the arrows of asbhy.
Last edited by PA42 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby PA42 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:55 am

scc, that is true but at this point of the year i think coach k will evaluate the game and go back to the drawing board. if they just defeated north border in the region championship you can say a win is a win but when you defeat an overrated team missing their best player in the mayville state comet classic by three you look to see how to improve. I bet if you asked coach k right now what he thought he would of told you it was sloppy game and they could have played better. But again i give them credit for playing with such energy and showing heart by coming back when they were down as much by ten. Coach k always has them ready to play.
Last edited by PA42 on Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:20 am

Alright, I'm sure the H-N coach will be happy that his team got a win in a christmas shootout. He will be happy because in these type of things you try to find out what you need to work on. If Ashby is ranked in the class A poll they prolly have a few good players other then that one you are talking about, even though with him it may have been a differnt outcome. Secondly Mark Wallace is a dang good post player, he might have appeared weak, but he was going against someone you say is 6'6 and 300 pounds, give mark a break, not many people can out muscle a guy like that. So I think Coach K from H-N has a lot to be happy about....and oh ya A win is a WIN
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:11 am

so if cavalier beats parshall without both of the packineau's would you say a win's a win? or if griggs county was to defeat mpcg without lorenz your telling me that a win's a win? you are not telling me that we'd have hundreds of post saying mpcg is nothing without lorenz. i was just saying it was far from a perfect game. what i was saying about mark wallace is that he is an end of the game type center. He has very good stamina, so while other centers fade as the game goes on he gets stronger. At times he got outstrengthed by ashby's center. But by the end of the game he proved he was the better man by outworking him. It was a good win i'm just clarifying that they didn't exactly dominate one of the top five team in class a in minnesota. I saw two decent teams, and hatton-northwood deserved to win because of their ability to out work their oppenents. i talked to dave nelson former coach of ashby, he told me that if risbrudt would have been there the team would have been twenty points better. ashy depends on hims for scoring and the ability to find the open man. He told me that risbrudt is the type of player who makes the people around him better. But like you said thats not going to say that in the win column.
Last edited by PA42 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:31 am

First of all Dave nelson coached at ashby 5 plus years ago.....so he wouldnt really know how they play or how good they are....secondly you prolly didnt even talk to him.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:24 pm

nelson may not coach at ashby any longer, but i'll tell you does know a thing or two about what elliot risbrudt could bring to the game. risbrudt has been going to mayville for nearly ten years i understand for the mayville state camps. He knows that he is very nice player. But with all of this said he didn't have a very good night when they defeated hillsboro. after the game coach nelson told me that what you saw was not the real elliot risbrudt. i don't know about risbrudt's ability but i do know for a fact that i did talk to dave nelson.
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:18 am

alright dude whatever you say...i was at the game...and all that kid looked like to me is a quick kid who's out of control....and argues with the refs. Not exactly what i call a good player
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys