Region 2 - 2019-2020

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2 - 2019-2020

Postby classB4ever » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:13 pm

winner-within wrote:
classB4ever wrote:In my best Maverick voice, "My grandpappy use to say, sometimes it's easier to admit you're wrong rather than digging a deeper hole you can't get out of." 1 cent.

In my best The Fonz voice "I was Wrah, I was Wrah........Ayy! with the thumb up 8) :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good stuff.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:25 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
winner-within wrote:Cavalier has one gym for multiple activities, There is zero go shoot around in it, they have an old Armory that in the late has become more available, but if you arc to high the ball hits the ceiling or a light fixture....
now when I played the Districts were in Cavalier and the 2nd leading scorer of all time in the State was playing and he was the Superintendents Son, and lived in it...thats an advantage :wink:

Lord
They practice there. The kids on the team have played there since they entered school. Have summer open gyms there. Had their fans there. Hillsboro has a 2 hr bus ride. That’s the definition of home crt advantage.

Lordy be
well you and defensewinsgames talk it over some more, I don't believe its the reason, you guys brought it up

side note: 2 seasons ago HCV won by 30 plus in Cavalier (same 2 hour drive)
last season Cavalier was up 15 and faltered in foul trouble, in central valley gym
Players from both teams throughout the years have played in Hundreds of gyms with AAU, ECI, Grandams etc etc
believe me...they don't care where the game is.. :)

C'mon on Fonz, I mean winner...... :lol: I don't know why Cav won but playing at home couldn't have hurt....regarding past games, do you think 2 years ago HCV won by 30 cause they were pretty good? Homecrt advantage doesn't guarantee anything......
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 pm

hahah, :P

no, it didn't hurt, pretty good buzz in the Gym that night from both sides and a great game from both sides with great Kids!
going to be a great February of ball up and down the Valley and Statewide.... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby defensewinsgames » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:12 pm

We are in the back half of the season. Now that many games have been played, does anyone have updated projections for how it shakes out down the stretch? I think there has been some teams that really surprised some based on the pre-season chatter and then of course the top dogs are the top dogs again. Anyone have thoughts, predictions, or reactions?

My updated projection for how it ends:

1. Hatton-N
2. Hillsboro
3. Thompson
4. Grafton
5. Cavalier
6. North Border
7. Midway
8. Griggs County
9. Drayton
10. Larimore
11. Park River
12. MayPort
13. Finley-Sharon
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby Yeetyeetyeet » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:37 am

Thompson? Looking at points in the region
1. Thompson
2. Hatton northwood
3. Hcv
4 north border
Thompson is rolling right now. The top seed will come down to a 2 point game in northwood. Thompson’s bigs are too much. It took them a while to figure it out but they are peaking.
Yeetyeetyeet
NDPreps Rookie

Postby defensewinsgames » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:00 pm

The top three are all really close in my opinion. Thompson has the best bigs, HCV is the most athletic IMO and has the best player in Henningsgard, and Hatton plays the best together (they are one cohesive unit, where the other two have stretches where it looks splintered) and is the most consistent. I think Thompson has the shortest bench which in a tournament setting might hurt them. HCV and Thompson are building to playing their best basketball at the end of the year. In a one game setting like a region championship I have a hard time betting against Henningsgard. I would still give the nod to Hatton but think it is going to be a great region tournament. Hatton and Hillsboro both depend on the 3 a lot more than Thompson so if they aren't hitting and Thompson is ramming it into the bigs anything can happen. The Four Winds victory should given Thompson a lot of confidence from here on out.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby PMPT » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:30 pm

I largely agree with your opinion on the three teams, with a couple of exceptions. First, Thompson bench has a couple of deep off the bench. The younger Odenbach usually gets some pretty good minutes and Webber does a good job spelling one of the bigs so they can get a blow on the bench. I don't really think think stamina is going to be an issue anyway. The Henningsgard factor is a reality, and the Hillsboro legacy of championships can psych out some teams at tournament time, even if they don't realize it. I haven't seen H-N play but its pretty much the same core group they've had for a couple of years. They are fast, athletic, and smart, but i don't think they have any more depth than any of the other two teams.
PMPT
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GOPACKGO!!! » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:41 pm

PMPT wrote:I largely agree with your opinion on the three teams, with a couple of exceptions. First, Thompson bench has a couple of deep off the bench. The younger Odenbach usually gets some pretty good minutes and Webber does a good job spelling one of the bigs so they can get a blow on the bench. I don't really think think stamina is going to be an issue anyway. The Henningsgard factor is a reality, and the Hillsboro legacy of championships can psych out some teams at tournament time, even if they don't realize it. I haven't seen H-N play but its pretty much the same core group they've had for a couple of years. They are fast, athletic, and smart, but i don't think they have any more depth than any of the other two teams.

You should watch the H-N game against HCV. Henningsgard couldn't buy a bucket and the whole team looked off. I think HCV would beat them fairly easy if that's the best H-N plays. But that's the only game I have watched of H-N's.
GOPACKGO!!!
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 am

GOPACKGO!!! wrote:
PMPT wrote:I largely agree with your opinion on the three teams, with a couple of exceptions. First, Thompson bench has a couple of deep off the bench. The younger Odenbach usually gets some pretty good minutes and Webber does a good job spelling one of the bigs so they can get a blow on the bench. I don't really think think stamina is going to be an issue anyway. The Henningsgard factor is a reality, and the Hillsboro legacy of championships can psych out some teams at tournament time, even if they don't realize it. I haven't seen H-N play but its pretty much the same core group they've had for a couple of years. They are fast, athletic, and smart, but i don't think they have any more depth than any of the other two teams.

You should watch the H-N game against HCV. Henningsgard couldn't buy a bucket and the whole team looked off. I think HCV would beat them fairly easy if that's the best H-N plays. But that's the only game I have watched of H-N's.

HCV has had a few of those this year, they have also had a few where they have looked unbeatable. Region 2 is pretty open at this point. Seeding is going to become pretty important.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby defensewinsgames » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:33 am

Thompson plays 7. Yes I think little Odenbach is a very nice player (he his some big shots against 4 Winds). I think that both HCV and Hatton can roll out 9 or 10 players on a given night (if they need to they don't always). I wasn't referencing conditioning or stamina as much as I was accounting for a multiple games back to back or an injury situation when the tournament rolls around. Having those extra guys is always a big deal at the end of the season. I also am intrigued by that 2nd group in the region made up of Grafton, Cavalier, North Border. I think that they could challenge those top 3 in the regional tournament more than in other years. It wouldn't shock me if one of them found a way to knock off someone in the regional. I strongly agree with the comment made that seeding is going to become huge. Who you match up with and when in the tournament might really change things this year.
defensewinsgames
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Somebody said that a particular Coach told the 3 Refs after the Cavalier Thompson game that "this was the worst reffing I have ever witnessed in the history of my basketball days, both ways!"

It was a very physical game, a very entertaining game and definitely could have went either way
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby PMPT » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:56 pm

My two cents....

Grafton seems to have really elevated their team play of late. Cavalier has some very solid athletes that are capable of doing better than their performance thus far this season. I really don't see North Border as threat to place in the top three in the region tournament.

HCV, Hatton-Northwood, or Thompson are largely on equal footing as to who ultimately wins Region 2.
PMPT
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:23 pm

Region 1 Vs Region 2 current #1's facing off tonight in Kindred. Should be a good game. You should be able to watch in online.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:24 am

Finley-Sharon/H-P 66,
Larimore 59
Halftime: Finley-Sharon/H-P 34, Larimore 33

Finley-Sharon/Hope-Page -- Owen Zerface 24, Dalton Stein 4, Tate Zerface 13, Bryce Juliuson 4, Joel Ostmo 11, Ryan Tvite 2, Landon Koenig 8

Larimore -- Rex Ritterman 14, Ryan Sletten 16, Chase Bacon 5, Jacob Schempp 20, Bo Salander 4

Congrats to FHSP on their Victory
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:03 pm

After watching Hatton/Northwood last night... I think they will be crowned Region 2 champs and if they don't then it will be a shame. What a fun team to watch play. It has been a long time since I saw a team move the ball like that... and the effort is second to none.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:27 am

Matt Greendahl became North Border's All-Time leading scorer. Some great teams and players have come through there. Congrats Matt!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:59 pm

maddog1971 wrote:After watching Hatton/Northwood last night... I think they will be crowned Region 2 champs and if they don't then it will be a shame. What a fun team to watch play. It has been a long time since I saw a team move the ball like that... and the effort is second to none.

You'll never find a H/N team that doesn't play extremely hard all the time. That's been a constant for them as long as I can remember. The years they've got experience and some talent on offense they're very dangerous. This year is as good as any for the Thunder to make it a run at a state title. HCV is playing better lately, as is Grafton, and you can't count out Thompson. Saturday is a big one for the Tommies. They had a tough one against HCV on Tuesday and if they come out flat again on Saturday, it'll be a similar result. Personally, I want to see it come down to the Burros and Thunder for the Region 2 title.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Important IMO to get the #1 seed for HN. If they end up 2, they'll most likely have to got through HCV and Thompson.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 pm

Flip wrote:Important IMO to get the #1 seed for HN. If they end up 2, they'll most likely have to got through HCV and Thompson.

If Thompson gets beat on Saturday, they would be playing Grafton for the #3 seed on the 28th. I'm going to assume H-CV beats FS-HP and H-N beats D-VE.

Region Points
Hatton/Northwood #1 (24-0)
Hillsboro-Central Valley #2 (20-4)

Grafton (15-7) vs Thompson (16-6) as a 2-point game.

So if Grafton wins that they'd be 17-7 while Thompson drops to 16-8. I wouldn't sleep on Grafton, they did lose a lot from last year, but they've got some definite talent and can compete with anyone at the top of the Region. The game on the 28th is a home game for the Spoilers.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:28 am

BasketballMind wrote:
Flip wrote:Important IMO to get the #1 seed for HN. If they end up 2, they'll most likely have to got through HCV and Thompson.

If Thompson gets beat on Saturday, they would be playing Grafton for the #3 seed on the 28th. I'm going to assume H-CV beats FS-HP and H-N beats D-VE.

Region Points

So if Grafton wins that they'd be 17-7 while Thompson drops to 16-8. I wouldn't sleep on Grafton, they did lose a lot from last year, but they've got some definite talent and can compete with anyone at the top of the Region. The game on the 28th is a home game for the Spoilers.

If Thompson loses to HN and Grafton they still finish ahead of Grafton. Thompson is 18-2 (region points) right now. The worst they can finish is 18-6.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:22 am

BasketballMind wrote:
Flip wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:

Region Points

If Thompson loses to HN and Grafton they still finish ahead of Grafton. Thompson is 18-2 (region points) right now. The worst they can finish is 18-6.

Yep you’re right. My mistake. Misread the standings.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Hatton-Northwood has clinched the #1 seed
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby BasketballMind » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:46 am

What a great game on Saturday between Hatton-Northwood and Thompson. Back and forth, both teams did a lot of good things on both ends, and H-N gutted out a tough victory. I don't think some in the Tommie crowd realize how good they've got it with Brandy George as the head coach. Very puzzling comments from some of their fans during and after the game. Put Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, and HCV in different regions and there's a strong possibility they all meet each other at the State B.

To quote the famous poets, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince, "There's no need to argue, Parents just don't understand".
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby PMPT » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:59 pm

BasketballMind wrote:What a great game on Saturday between Hatton-Northwood and Thompson. Back and forth, both teams did a lot of good things on both ends, and H-N gutted out a tough victory. I don't think some in the Tommie crowd realize how good they've got it with Brandy George as the head coach. Very puzzling comments from some of their fans during and after the game. Put Thompson, Hatton-Northwood, and HCV in different regions and there's a strong possibility they all meet each other at the State B.

To quote the famous poets, DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince, "There's no need to argue, Parents just don't understand".

I agree, Brandy George is a good coach. Having said that, he seems a bit slow to make in-game adjustments, particularly over-relying on the Bigs down low, especially when they have guards that can really shoot.
PMPT
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Thompson vs Grafton on Friday night

the game should be a coin toss pick, but something tells me it could be a 10 point ball game favoring Thompson
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys