State Tournament "Change My Mind"

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tournament "Change My Mind"

Postby Bull Herbie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:25 pm

Heimer don’t act like the way the players are treated bothers you. You have been leading the chorus for a long time. If it was up to you the private’s and big Bs would never go to state again. So just stop your not fooling anyone.
Bull Herbie
NDPreps Reserve

Postby heimer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:28 pm

bisonation6 wrote:
Don’t you need like 200 students 9-12 to even opt up?

If Trinity, Shiloh, or Ryan proposed a three-division system, it would pass in 5 minutes.

Guaranteed.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby bisonation6 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:31 pm

heimer wrote:Abbykate, I agree that kids should not be treated badly.

I also agree with The Schwab.

My question is: are you going to do something about this? You have come here and voiced your concern. Perhaps it's time to also voice it with the administration at the private school you may be affiliated with (if you are affiliated with one).

Those adminiatrators are part of the problem. They are putting those kids in a bad position with the current system. I have not heard of a single private school administrator working toward a three-class system. They like their trips to state.

I'll make no excuses for how kids are treated. The athletes deserve nothing of the sort. Maybe its time the private schools take a more active role in improving the experiences of their athletes. That's a part of the job they are not doing.

I also pin 95% of this on the adults. The kids have nothing to do with it. Most of them are good friends with each other off the court. The ungrateful and jealous adults lead by poor example, speak for their kids, and stir up pointless drama. Social media has played a big part in this increasingly hostile attitude toward private schools. Fans have also gotten really bad in the stands over the last 10 years and you are now beginning to see this displayed by the players whenever they are called for a foul. It all rubs off. It starts with the adults.

I thought it was really cool last night when the big kid from Shiloh helped a Thompson player up from the floor in the middle of the play. You won’t see this in 10 years if parents and fans continue down the path we saw them lead Saturday night. Class B needs to wake up. Class A saw a Snapchat go around last year that a parent sent out saying how they wanted to punch an opposing player. Don’t let Class B come to Class A where we cheer during free throws and other nonsense. Remember, the main mission here is treating everyone with respect and the pledge of good sportsmanship. Each year these contests provide less and less of the “lessons for life.” What do you want these kids to grow up to be? There may be a problem with the current system, but don’t let that supercede what high school sports are really about. There is no excuse to allow this kind of behavior to be given a free pass. A lot of the adults really need to lead by example again.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby bisonation6 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:32 pm

heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

If Trinity, Shiloh, or Ryan proposed a three-division system, it would pass in 5 minutes.

Guaranteed.

Yes. I agree. But I was asking about if Shiloh could “opt up” under current rules. I don’t believe they could, right?
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:36 pm

Bull Herbie wrote:Heimer don’t act like the way the players are treated bothers you. You have been leading the chorus for a long time. If it was up to you the private’s and big Bs would never go to state again. So just stop your not fooling anyone.

No one likes kids paying for adults mistakes.

And you're wrong: I want privates and big Bs at all kinds of state tournaments.

Their own.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:51 am

bisonation6 wrote:
heimer wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Guaranteed.

Yes. I agree. But I was asking about if Shiloh could “opt up” under current rules. I don’t believe they could, right?

They could certainly be a voice for change. I think they are silent.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:55 am

bisonation6 wrote:

My question is: are you going to do something about this? You have come here and voiced your concern. Perhaps it's time to also voice it with the administration at the private school you may be affiliated with (if you are affiliated with one).

Those adminiatrators are part of the problem. They are putting those kids in a bad position with the current system. I have not heard of a single private school administrator working toward a three-class system. They like their trips to state.

I'll make no excuses for how kids are treated. The athletes deserve nothing of the sort. Maybe its time the private schools take a more active role in improving the experiences of their athletes. That's a part of the job they are not doing.

I also pin 95% of this on the adults. The kids have nothing to do with it. Most of them are good friends with each other off the court. The ungrateful and jealous adults lead by poor example, speak for their kids, and stir up pointless drama. Social media has played a big part in this increasingly hostile attitude toward private schools. Fans have also gotten really bad in the stands over the last 10 years and you are now beginning to see this displayed by the players whenever they are called for a foul. It all rubs off. It starts with the adults.

I thought it was really cool last night when the big kid from Shiloh helped a Thompson player up from the floor in the middle of the play. You won’t see this in 10 years if parents and fans continue down the path we saw them lead Saturday night. Class B needs to wake up. Class A saw a Snapchat go around last year that a parent sent out saying how they wanted to punch an opposing player. Don’t let Class B come to Class A where we cheer during free throws and other nonsense. Remember, the main mission here is treating everyone with respect and the pledge of good sportsmanship. Each year these contests provide less and less of the “lessons for life.” What do you want these kids to grow up to be? There may be a problem with the current system, but don’t let that supercede what high school sports are really about. There is no excuse to allow this kind of behavior to be given a free pass. A lot of the adults really need to lead by example again.

Private schools deserve some of the blame. You just don't give job's to parents of great athletes or have "host" families for kids who excel at sports and expect people to not be upset.
I couldn't care less but no one should be suprised at the behavior of people in the crowd at these games. I know it is sad but it is true.
You can't have your cake and eat it to.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:08 am

Abbykate wrote:What I saw at this tournament was embarassing!! The way the privates fans and players were treated was hostile at times. These kids worked just as hard as any other players at the tourney. The fans were there to cheer on their teams. I know. People "hate" the privates I get it, but these are just kids and they have no control over what class they play in. Come on North Dakota we can do better than this.

Enjoy your success. Don't be a victim. I didn't watch the game but listened on the radio. The most disrespectful thing I heard was the commentator say that if the Shilo kid didn't foul out, Shilo would have won. No respect for Thompson.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoophoophoop » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:06 am

Abbykate wrote:What I saw at this tournament was embarassing!! The way the privates fans and players were treated was hostile at times. These kids worked just as hard as any other players at the tourney. The fans were there to cheer on their teams. I know. People "hate" the privates I get it, but these are just kids and they have no control over what class they play in. Come on North Dakota we can do better than this.

Before you start sticking up for the Privates, Shiloh students were chanting some obscene things at the Richland boys, thats why Richland was cheering so hard for Thompson. Thompson kids are a class act and deserve everything they fought for.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby moverandshaker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:31 am

The Schwab wrote:I will say this in response to the private school situation:

I, like most people, take issue with private schools being in class B. However, last night I was very disappointed in the crowd when 55 from Shiloh fouled out. If the student sections want to cheer because a kids out of the game, that’s fine. If his teams section wants to cheer, it’s not as fine but I can live with it. When the entire rest of the gym made up of adults starts going crazy because a player who plays for a private school fouls out, we owe that young man better. He finished his career with a very impressive state tournament run and the last thing he hears is a crowd full of adults, who should know better, mocking him and waving goodbye in a taunting manner.

If you want to holler at an official, they’re adults, they can handle it. If you want to holler at a coach, they’re adults they can handle it. Please remember that the players are high school kids. On behalf of ND basketball I would like to apologize to Mr. Young, we can do better and you played one heck of a tournament.

Game is tied in overtime, Thompson shoots a three and misses. Shooter gets fouled in the process fans go crazy because Thompson now gets three from the charity stripe, crowd goes wild because Thompson has a huge opportunity now. It is no different than any fan cheering on their favorite team to win, it was a opportunity to go up big in a huge game and the crowd got excited. Great win Thompson!
moverandshaker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:41 am

moverandshaker wrote:Game is tied in overtime, Thompson shoots a three and misses. Shooter gets fouled in the process fans go crazy because Thompson now gets three from the charity stripe, crowd goes wild because Thompson has a huge opportunity now. It is no different than any fan cheering on their favorite team to win, it was a opportunity to go up big in a huge game and the crowd got excited. Great win Thompson!

Definitely felt like there was more to the cheering than just excitement for the 3 foul shots.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby whine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:06 am

BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Private schools deserve some of the blame. You just don't give job's to parents of great athletes or have "host" families for kids who excel at sports and expect people to not be upset.
I couldn't care less but no one should be suprised at the behavior of people in the crowd at these games. I know it is sad but it is true.

On a lighter note, I need to clear this up. You can have your cake and eat it too. If I have a cake I can eat it. They correct saying is you cannot eat your cake and still have it. Just trying to get to educate so we can be correct on this. Great Tournament loved it.
whine
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 am

whine wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

On a lighter note, I need to clear this up. You can have your cake and eat it too. If I have a cake I can eat it. They correct saying is you cannot eat your cake and still have it. Just trying to get to educate so we can be correct on this. Great Tournament loved it.

Since you went there...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_can ... and_eat_it
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby Abbykate » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 am

BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Do you have proof of this or are you just spewing more hate?
Abbykate
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Abbykate » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:17 am

Flip wrote:
moverandshaker wrote:Game is tied in overtime, Thompson shoots a three and misses. Shooter gets fouled in the process fans go crazy because Thompson now gets three from the charity stripe, crowd goes wild because Thompson has a huge opportunity now. It is no different than any fan cheering on their favorite team to win, it was a opportunity to go up big in a huge game and the crowd got excited. Great win Thompson!

Definitely felt like there was more to the cheering than just excitement for the 3 foul shots.

I dvr'd the game and watched it again the next day and it was definitely more than excitement. It was mostly adults and it was disgusting.
Abbykate
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:27 am

there is an extreme arrogance (some call it pride) in the east and a prejudice that rides along with it, it will subside when the talent does, although it will be hard to humble....

side note: I thought Overby was tournament MVP, even Young could have gotten it IMO
Schwabe was definitely the best floor General and that is something you don't see a lot of anymore....Thompson plays a true 1,2,3,4,5, type ball (college type)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:30 am

Abbykate wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Don't be so sensitive. It happened. The Bearstails, the girl from SD (mobridge??), the young man from Africa. Each a case of a parent being employed or a host family and the kids being skilled. I am not insinuating anything other than people notice and you can't blame people for thinking that "recruiting" goes on. If nothing sketchy happened, don't let it bother you.
Last edited by BISONFAN18 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby whine » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am

BISONFAN18 wrote:
whine wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Since you went there...

From your posted article

"Some people feel the above form of the proverb is incorrect and illogical and instead prefer: "You can't eat your cake and [then still] have it too", which is in fact closer to the original form of the proverb"
whine
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:41 am

whine wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
whine wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Since you went there...

From your posted article

"Some people feel the above form of the proverb is incorrect and illogical and instead prefer: "You can't eat your cake and [then still] have it too", which is in fact closer to the original form of the proverb"

Semantics. You cannot have the best of both worlds.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:59 am

In the current setup, private schools will always be the villains of Class B. They are inherently the favorites to win their region every year and will always be cheered against. Fact of life at this point.

I also watched the game in person, and later on TV. I didn't see or hear the vitriol toward Young (or the team as a whole FWIW) that is being described. I saw and heard excitement that the game just changed because a player that was controlling the game on both ends had to sit down. Young is clearly a great kid and a great player, but the entire arena, sans the Shiloh sections, was excited that Thompson had a much better chance at winning.

Student sections heckle, sometimes they push it. That's been happening forever at all levels. Adults can get too defensive of their kids and their team, also been happening forever.

What I'm saying is, I didn't see/hear anything different at this tournament than I have at any other.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby Abbykate » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:17 am

BISONFAN18 wrote:
Abbykate wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

Don't be so sensitive. It happened. The Bearstails, the girl from SD (mobridge??), the young man from Africa. Each a case of a parent being employed or a host family and the kids being skilled. I am not insinuating anything other than people notice and you can't blame people for thinking that "recruiting" goes on. If nothing sketchy happened, don't let it bother you.

So your saying they recruited from Africa??? Seriously?? My daughter met Ogbu at college this year and has gotten to be good friends with him. His situation was scary where he lived he needed to get out of there before something bad happened. I think you are reaching.
Abbykate
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BISONFAN18 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 am

Abbykate wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
Abbykate wrote:
BISONFAN18 wrote:
bisonation6 wrote:

So your saying they recruited from Africa??? Seriously?? My daughter met Ogbu at college this year and has gotten to be good friends with him. His situation was scary where he lived he needed to get out of there before something bad happened. I think you are reaching.

I didn't say that.
BISONFAN18
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:39 am

In the past 10 years, private schools have represented 26% of the competitors in the state B boys tournament. This comes despite representing about 5% of the school population in Class B, a number which is even lower when you factor in Williston Trinity Christian not making it. This means private schools are disproportionately represented at the Boys State B by about a factor of 5 or 6. There are two different ways to interpret this:
1.) Every private school in the state- save 1- has developed from scratch a blue-collar program built on success, hard work, and commitment.
2.) Private schools have some sort of advantage related to their make-up and location.

I believe in #2, even if #1 IS present at these schools. Either way, just trying to add some context to this circular discussion going on in 3 different threads right now.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am

theman wrote:In the past 10 years, private schools have represented 26% of the competitors in the state B boys tournament. This comes despite representing about 5% of the school population in Class B, a number which is even lower when you factor in Williston Trinity Christian not making it. This means private schools are disproportionately represented at the Boys State B by about a factor of 5 or 6.

FWIW, factoring in presence in only 5 regions, the number is around 40%.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:22 pm

classB4ever wrote:
theman wrote:In the past 10 years, private schools have represented 26% of the competitors in the state B boys tournament. This comes despite representing about 5% of the school population in Class B, a number which is even lower when you factor in Williston Trinity Christian not making it. This means private schools are disproportionately represented at the Boys State B by about a factor of 5 or 6.

FWIW, factoring in presence in only 5 regions, the number is around 40%.

Fair point.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys