2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Big Blue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 am

I hate how the 3-class comments come out when people don't like state matchups because of private and bigger schools. It reminds me a lot of American Legion Baseball. People used to complain all the time about how junior teams from large cities and bigger towns were ruining Class B legion baseball. Then, years later, those same people were wondering why, with a three or four class system (depending on the year), American Legion baseball had lost its luster. Moving away from two classes has completely watered down the product. To me, there was nothing more enjoyable than trying to knock off the big guys. Sure, the top dogs made it to state many times. That didn't make the hunt to qualify any less special.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:48 am

Day 1 observations:

Beulah didn’t wake up till the 2nd half, but give Shiloh credit because they were much more efficient and they came ready to play.

Richland needs to get the ball to Cole Myers more, he’s their best player. And, they are not very deep at all. Powers Lake played a much better game but they just came up short.

Thompson has a nice combination and is the best all-around team in the tournament. For Ellendale, the Moland kid can score. He’s quite the player and might be the 2nd best kid in the tournament.

NRS had their chances to knock off a private. They settled for too many outside shots. BR has no inside game this year whatsoever so take advantage. Fred Fridley nailed this point in his commentary.

Everyone knows this, but BR has 2 very good guards. Bohl certainly made a case for Mr. BB.

My opinion - I think both Fridley & Lynette are terrific. They bring an element to the game that makes it entertaining to watch. Both were standouts back in their playing days and they really keep up to date with the players.

Another note on Powers Lake. These kids shocked me. They have a good mix of players and they gave it their all. I really thought they would struggle vs. the press, but that wasn’t the case as they are very smart players. I’ll root for them the rest of the way. They exemplified what the state B is about with their effort and their large and passionate crowd.

I can’t remember his name, but glad to see the voice of Class B get recognized. Would like to see him do the starting lineups in the Championship Game.

It’s going to be a very entertaining day 2.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby north1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 am

Larry Louser
north1
NDPreps Reserve

Postby LILchump » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:13 am

Big Blue wrote:I hate how the 3-class comments come out when people don't like state matchups because of private and bigger schools. It reminds me a lot of American Legion Baseball. People used to complain all the time about how junior teams from large cities and bigger towns were ruining Class B legion baseball. Then, years later, those same people were wondering why, with a three or four class system (depending on the year), American Legion baseball had lost its luster. Moving away from two classes has completely watered down the product. To me, there was nothing more enjoyable than trying to knock off the big guys. Sure, the top dogs made it to state many times. That didn't make the hunt to qualify any less special.

I couldn't agree more, and I thinks this is a great point I hadn't thought about. I have no dog in the private/non-private debate, I just like to watch good basketball. I played baseball for a junior team in class B legion baseball growing up and we had a blast competing against the class B teams in the area. I'm assuming when you said "there was nothing more enjoyable than trying to knock off the big guys" you were talking about class B towns trying to beat the junior teams? I would imagine this to be true, however, as a younger kid knowing I was going up against a class B town's "varsity" team, we were excited to do just the same. Different topic for a different thread, but I would love to see legion baseball go back to the two class system. As for a 3 class basketball system...as good as it sounds on paper, could become watered down as well like you said, and until private schools are nonexistant (which I don't think is happening any time soon), I think they will remain class B and we will have unhappy fans.
LILchump
NDPreps Reserve

Postby theman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:Day 1 observations:

Beulah didn’t wake up till the 2nd half, but give Shiloh credit because they were much more efficient and they came ready to play.

Richland needs to get the ball to Cole Myers more, he’s their best player. And, they are not very deep at all. Powers Lake played a much better game but they just came up short.

Thompson has a nice combination and is the best all-around team in the tournament. For Ellendale, the Moland kid can score. He’s quite the player and might be the 2nd best kid in the tournament.

NRS had their chances to knock off a private. They settled for too many outside shots. BR has no inside game this year whatsoever so take advantage. Fred Fridley nailed this point in his commentary.

Everyone knows this, but BR has 2 very good guards. Bohl certainly made a case for Mr. BB.

My opinion - I think both Fridley & Lynette are terrific. They bring an element to the game that makes it entertaining to watch. Both were standouts back in their playing days and they really keep up to date with the players.

Another note on Powers Lake. These kids shocked me. They have a good mix of players and they gave it their all. I really thought they would struggle vs. the press, but that wasn’t the case as they are very smart players. I’ll root for them the rest of the way. They exemplified what the state B is about with their effort and their large and passionate crowd.

I can’t remember his name, but glad to see the voice of Class B get recognized. Would like to see him do the starting lineups in the Championship Game.

It’s going to be a very entertaining day 2.

Powers Lake played Mandaree in the Region 8 Championship, and Mandaree presses almost the whole game, and I was honestly kind of surprised at Richland's press, just because it was much slower and less aggressive than Mandaree's. I could see from Powers Lake's perspective that it was actually easier against Richland to break the press. But once Richland switched up their defense, it was obvious that the game changed quite a bit.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:25 am

LILchump wrote:
Big Blue wrote:I hate how the 3-class comments come out when people don't like state matchups because of private and bigger schools. It reminds me a lot of American Legion Baseball. People used to complain all the time about how junior teams from large cities and bigger towns were ruining Class B legion baseball. Then, years later, those same people were wondering why, with a three or four class system (depending on the year), American Legion baseball had lost its luster. Moving away from two classes has completely watered down the product. To me, there was nothing more enjoyable than trying to knock off the big guys. Sure, the top dogs made it to state many times. That didn't make the hunt to qualify any less special.

I couldn't agree more, and I thinks this is a great point I hadn't thought about. I have no dog in the private/non-private debate, I just like to watch good basketball. I played baseball for a junior team in class B legion baseball growing up and we had a blast competing against the class B teams in the area. I'm assuming when you said "there was nothing more enjoyable than trying to knock off the big guys" you were talking about class B towns trying to beat the junior teams? I would imagine this to be true, however, as a younger kid knowing I was going up against a class B town's "varsity" team, we were excited to do just the same. Different topic for a different thread, but I would love to see legion baseball go back to the two class system. As for a 3 class basketball system...as good as it sounds on paper, could become watered down as well like you said, and until private schools are nonexistant (which I don't think is happening any time soon), I think they will remain class B and we will have unhappy fans.

Exactly. Both junior teams and bigger schools. I played in the southeast section, so we played a lot against the Fargo Bombers and Casselton (who both are in different classes). It was always fun to play against the junior teams. We loved playing those guys even though they usually got the better of us. I wouldn't have had it any other way.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:22 am

My Ranchers came up a little short but they should have won that game. Great passing and great play calls. Powers Lake Coach did a great job.
Richland won't shoot that bad tonight. I don't think they have been left that open since they have been in 8th grade. Van Berkom kept Cole out of the game. Great job of straight up D.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 am

Day 1...extremely impressed with the PL fan base numbers wise...all the schools represented well actually . I was hoping the ticket policy this year would fail, but I was proved wrong. All 8 regions would fill a lower reserved section and It's my understanding that these sections will be shrinking seat wise when they remodel the dome. At times the seating did look sparse in the lower portion, could be weather related tho.

PL had a great look, other than the kid was just off in relation to the basket..He didn't like his angle and I'm sure was rushed due to clock...just rushed it a bit getting to where he felt better

Would have liked to see NRS and Ryan play on a true neutral court.

Always Peeved that is it a concerted effort to never mention Minot or Bismarck when referring to the teams from those cities...

Tonite...Both games should be close. Can Richland defend the post size? I think that is a yes, but we will see...Richland does need to go out a do what they do that got them here...look to score

Thompson needs to make Ryan defend the post and get into their bench. Make Bohl defend the post. I was impressed how Bohl does defends the post and stays clean foul wise..Thompson needs to attack Ryans lack of depth, I don't think you can wear the two out, but you need to make them work on both ends...Ryan needs another player to score, or at least honor offensively... need 4 or 5 guys in the score book, keep Thompson honest defensively
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Makotifarmguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:29 am

Day 1 observations....from an old guy.

Thompson is the strongest team in this tournament. I predict they will win but anything can happen at the State B.

The freshman big guy for Ellendale. He is still fitting into that frame. Sometimes his body gets ahead of him but my most important point about him is this...he never gives up. That kid has some heart. Win or lose right now he is my favorite kid to watch out there. I believe once everything catches up, he will be an incredible kid to watch play ball. Watch this players fundamentals. They are sound and we just don't see that a lot anymore. Wish this kid all the best in the future.

Bohl and Hedberg can shoot the lights out but that is all BR has in my opinion. Boy can they shoot. I think Bohl will struggle defensively at MiSU. Hedberg needs to gain weight to plat at that level. Wish them the best but would have loved to have seen both at WSC for 2 years, especially Hedberg.

Tough break for NR-S. I think they were a more rounded team and they should have won it. Heck, the refs darn near helped them win with a few calls in their favor I am not sure I agreed with. Them along with Powers Lake and Ellendale made me feel like it was some old school Class B teams.

May watch the games tonight from home. That last game got done later than I had wished. Long drive back to the ranch last night.

Best of luck to the teams and players tonight and tomorrow night.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:13 am

NR-S is an athletic team, stemming from their success in Football this group is physical and impressive
kind of the same story as last year with W-L, although NR-S, I think, has more basketball in their blood with this team (not that comparing matters) and were fun to watch.....I felt the seniors shot to many 3's I would have turned Belquist loose (very athletic) and had him attack and dish or attack and take what it gives.......this would have improved their chances........fun first day!

the 4 that still have a chance are very very close IMO......It will literally depend on who wants it bad enough because they all realize what can hurt them or help them......It will come down to Leaders and Thompson has a good one in Schwabe
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:STATE TOURNEY
@ MSU Dome

Friday, March 15th
G5: (10) Beulah (19-5) vs. (RV) Powers Lake (20-6)
G6: #5 (9) New Rockford-Sheyenne (22-4) vs. Ellendale (15-11)
G7: #2 (5) Shiloh Christian (22-3) vs. #3 (3) Richland (22-2)
G8: #1 (1) Thompson (24-1) vs. #4 Bishop Ryan (23-3)

Beulah vs. Powers Lake - Really enjoyed watching PL yesterday. Was hoping they could pull it off. Beulah seemed a bit flat, especially to start game. Think they will start better today. Cheering for PL but picking Beulah.
NR-S vs. Ellendale - Some good takes above on both these teams. Some nice players on both sides. Coach Vance always gets the most out of his boys, but think NR-S's athleticism will win out here. NR-S
Shiloh Christian vs. Richland - Think Richland is a year away. Believe Shiloh will be able to control the pace of the game with their bigs. Richland will not get a lot of 2nd chance opportunities so will have to shoot over 50% to pull it off. They also have to have better shot selection. Have to go with Shiloh and their bigs.
Thompson vs. BR - This should be a good game. In a nut shell, think Thompson will have to defend the perimeter very well to win this and believe they will. Some say Thompson should up the pace to utilize their depth. Believe they should slow it down, use depth on defense to really tire out BR's big two in half court sets. Fast pace might play in to BR's hand with Hedberg and Bohl getting a lot of easy looks in transition. Going with Thompson.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 pm

In a state tournament you have 5 mandatory breaks per half that are much longer than in season timeouts. Don't bother trying to wear out a team. Play your game.

Duschscherer from Kindred just played 32 minutes 3 straight nights. I saw the box score from a MN girls state game where 7 girls played 33+ minutes in a 36 minute game. No TV timeouts and no quarter breaks.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Class B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

A couple random thoughts:

Ben Bohl is a dude. This was a crucial get for Minot State... local product who will make an impact.

Speaking of Minot State, I'm really excited to see these dome improvements come to fruition. Not only the seating upgrades, but he overall upgrades to concourses, accessibility, etc. It will make it the premiere facility for the NDHSAA post season tournaments.

Big shout out to the Minot Daily News and the Minot media. Often times in other cities, you'd have no idea a tournament like this is happening. The media here embrace it and cover it from top to bottom. Give guys like Justin Martinez (@JThe SportsDude), Alex Eisen (@AEisen13) from the MDN a follow on Twitter if you crave some more Class B insight.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby madseason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm

I have to admit when they introduced the Powers lake team with the Big Guys. I thought this is going to be a blowout. But those Big guys are faster and more athletic than I thought possible. They would run circles around the big guy Young IMO. I became a Powers lake fan early in the game, and my heart broke for them when they missed the winning shot Twice. Thompson looked to be the best and most balanced team IMO. Seemed like Schwabe could score anytime he wanted. If they get in trouble I would say he will step up and get it done. I think both games tonight should be good games. Hopefully, both go down to the wire. I don't know much about Basketball, I'm a hockey/ football guy but I love watching the class B girls and boys BB tournaments. Good luck to all the teams. I'm sure they will leave it all on the floor.
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ticket0115 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:09 pm

ticket0115 wrote:Shiloh over Beulah by 8
Richland over Powers Lake by 14
Thompson beats Ellendale by 20
NRS beats BR by 2
Day 2
Beulah over PL
BR over Ellendale
Richland beats Shiloh by 6
Thompson over NRS by 12
Day 3
Powers Lake
Ellendale
6th Beulah
5thBR
4thNRs
3rd Shiloh
2ndThompson
1stRichland

The gunslinger attitude if you will of Bohl and Hedberg is tough not to cheer for. It is a style that invokes the thought of, "what if we would've been allowed to do that among hoopers( the no holds barred let it fly mentality). Fun stuff.

Gonna revise my picks.
Cheering for BR henceforth, 1st off, but think Shiloh vs Thompson championship happens more often then not.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby T reporter » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Quick Question here don't know where to ask it at.

Saw this last night with 1:34 left BR vs NR S I think and seen a number of times during the season
and it bugs me

On a one and one free throw (bonus) attempt the free throw shooter makes the front end of the bonus and the defensive player steps over in front of him and backs into him pushing him off the free throw line so on the next shot he has to step up to the line again. Is that OK to be in the free throw shooters part of the circle above the free throw line?
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsnut5 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:52 pm

This was actually a point of emphasis by the officials going into the season. On Ft's, the players blocking out the shooter cannot break the free throw line prior to the ball hitting the rim, and once they do cross the line to block out, they cannot dislodge the shooter. If the shooter is dislodged, a foul should be called regardless if the free throw is made or missed. Have not seen this called.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:45 pm

sportsnut5 wrote:This was actually a point of emphasis by the officials going into the season. On Ft's, the players blocking out the shooter cannot break the free throw line prior to the ball hitting the rim, and once they do cross the line to block out, they cannot dislodge the shooter. If the shooter is dislodged, a foul should be called regardless if the free throw is made or missed. Have not seen this called.

I've seen it called more in JH then Varsity games...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I haven't seen it called. I can't say I've seen it missed either. There is a decent chance I don't pay attention to FT box outs.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby madseason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:44 pm

T reporter wrote:Quick Question here don't know where to ask it at.

Saw this last night with 1:34 left BR vs NR S I think and seen a number of times during the season
and it bugs me

On a one and one free throw (bonus) attempt the free throw shooter makes the front end of the bonus and the defensive player steps over in front of him and backs into him pushing him off the free throw line so on the next shot he has to step up to the line again. Is that OK to be in the free throw shooters part of the circle above the free throw line?
Whaaa! Cry me a river :lol: Don't make BB more of a foul sport than it has to be IMO
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Two very good games this evening. Hopefully tomorrow night sees to more good ones. Impressed with Thompson as a team, but Ben Bohl is the real deal. He and Molan from Ellendale might be the two best offensive players in this tournament. I know Bohl is going to Minot State, anyone know where Molan might be headed? I really wish they would televise every game of the State B.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Two very good games this evening. Hopefully tomorrow night sees to more good ones. Impressed with Thompson as a team, but Ben Bohl is the real deal. He and Molan from Ellendale might be the two best offensive players in this tournament. I know Bohl is going to Minot State, anyone know where Molan might be headed? I really wish they would televise every game of the State B.

The consolation games were streamed online (just the video feed...no announcers/play-by-play) through inforum.com
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby madseason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 pm

OT game Fun to watch. Both teams played their hearts out! Thanks for the great game :)
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby madseason » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 pm

Did seeding work this time? #1 VS #2? I guess It did. :? Not supposed to work out like that. Someone was screwed on the seeding?
madseason
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Two very good games this evening. Hopefully tomorrow night sees to more good ones. Impressed with Thompson as a team, but Ben Bohl is the real deal. He and Molan from Ellendale might be the two best offensive players in this tournament. I know Bohl is going to Minot State, anyone know where Molan might be headed? I really wish they would televise every game of the State B.

The consolation games were streamed online (just the video feed...no announcers/play-by-play) through inforum.com

Yeah, but I really wish they would televise all 12 games of the State B, I bet it would do well in the ratings. Back in my younger days when my Dad and I would go every year a lot of the best games were Friday and Saturday afternoon.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys