2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018-2019 STATE CLASS B TOURNEY

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:18 am

I watched updates with Jon Cole on KMOT's Facebook page. In the four or five minutes of each of those updates, it was a clear that he knew what he was talking about. Miss that guy's passion and knowledge for the game.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby airmail » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:48 am

justplayalready wrote:Give the Thompson coach credit for watching the game the night before...The game plan of not giving any perimeter shots paid off.

Agree 100%. I heard a couple comments at half time - "why aren't we playing all 3 bigs... what is he doing... etc"
Well - when a team goes off for 14 of 33 (or whatever it was) behind the arc the night before - you gotta kind of respect that threat. Good game plan, and I thought Danner did a nice job making Young earn his points in the paint. That kid was definitely a finisher anywhere near the blocks.

Flip wrote:Thompson is title town in ND, but there is small school just across the river that was better in FB, VB, GBB and BBB IMO and outside of Run there probably isn't a poster that could name the school.

They would've been fun games to watch for sure. But I'd say that THS wins in two of those games. :wink:
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 am

All season long, Brandy has had a don't spend extra resources trying to shut down someone who is next to impossible to shut down approach. It obviously paid off. This showed especially when they played HCV. They let Carson get his against tough one on one defense, but denied anyone else to really get going. I think more times than not, it's the right way to go.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

I don't know how many years they did it, but I know that CBS covered the State Boys in 1978 and the State Boys in 1985 and 86. Russ Smith and Jim Adelson were the announcers in the 80s. A lot of people will disagree, but I actually enjoyed listening to them.

That is correct, although back then I just tried to attend all 3 days. I will admit though I miss NBC doing the B.

Overall thoughts...A 3 class system. I just don't know how this can be done without a lot of head aches, heart breaks, and division (possibly among families/friends and schools). I have no magic wand or crystal ball to forecast this one. Its ugly and not even sure it will work.

Only one thought I could even think of is an "opt-in" Class C division which would be a 3 on 3 with a smaller court type atmosphere. It could maybe eliminate all these co-ops who still struggle to get a team together. Most of the smaller schools have small gyms already. They would just need to be repainted. Varsity teams could have no more than 7 players total. The good? Small schools don't lose their identity, reduced road time for co-op players to neighboring towns for practice, towns play against each other like the good ole days instead of sitting on the same sidelines (school identity again?) traveling longer distances for games, much faster paced game, and no need to bring up kids from 7th and 8th grade to make your team unless athletically ready. Just thinking out loud on this one so don't hold me over the flames too much.

I guess at the end of the day I think of it like this. Whether the players are from Bismarck or Kulm; they are North Dakota kids. If I have to continue to watch ND kids play basketball somewhere, I can live with that. :D
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:34 pm

bisonation6 wrote:That solution of taxable valuation seems fair. I’m fine with the private schools going into the middle class if it is based on something. It just can’t be a system based on enrollment, but with a catch that the private schools who qualify for the lowest class based on enrollment must move up because of previous “success.”
This Nedrose thing though is going to really show in a couple years. It is now practically a second public high school in Minot. It will look like a private school on steroids because as I said earlier, it is free with no district lines. This will be even more extreme than Thompson, not even close. The only thing separating Nedrose from officially being in the City of Minot is official city boundaries and I imagine this area will be incorporated within the next few years.

Nedrose does have district lines. I get what you're saying with respect to it's proximity to Minot. I think some of the private schools there will see a bit of a dip because of Nedrose and South Prairie. I'm also not sure if taxable valuation would be exactly fair either. There are some counties and school districts with a high taxable valuation simply because of where they are. I'm not sure how that would work.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:18 pm

I am not sure if this has been brought up or not, but congrats to Coach of the Year Brandy George. He is one classy guy and that was on full display Saturday evening during his post-game interview.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:22 am

I also enjoyed NBC more. The HD and online streaming are the biggest benefits to ABC. I thought NBC did a better job with everything else though. Still, it's not an easy job. I appreciate both for the great job they did/do.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby heimer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:47 pm

Duke is a private school, so we know two things:

1) If they were in North Dakota, we would be fine with them being in the State B basketball tournament.

2) Thompson wins in overtime.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby nativegolfer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:32 pm

There are many colleges that are private, whats your point? Most focus on their religion and academics not sports, like they should. Private hs in ND are opposite. Kids go to them for sports.
nativegolfer
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:23 pm

nativegolfer wrote:There are many colleges that are private, whats your point? Most focus on their religion and academics not sports, like they should. Private hs in ND are opposite. Kids go to them for sports.

Heimer is a troll.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys