BBB Seeding Thoughts

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: BBB Seeding Thoughts

Postby Wilbur » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:18 am

Yes they were, back when the played their home games in a horrible little gym in Mandan. (At St. Anthony's I think.)

Shiloh Christian played their home games at St. Joseph’s Catholic School in Mandan until their current facility was built. I think the new one was built in 2003, as the last game I remember at St. Joe’s was in 2002.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am

Wilbur wrote:Yes they were, back when the played their home games in a horrible little gym in Mandan. (At St. Anthony's I think.)

Shiloh Christian played their home games at St. Joseph’s Catholic School in Mandan until their current facility was built. I think the new one was built in 2003, as the last game I remember at St. Joe’s was in 2002.

Yep, it was St. Joseph's. They actually hosted the District Girl's tournament there one year - 1996 if I remember right. When they started the VB program at Shiloh they also played their home games there and for the 1st year they had the old ankle breaker poles on stands. Parking was a pain there too.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:08 am

Didn't they actually host districts 2 years in a row?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am

Flip wrote:Didn't they actually host districts 2 years in a row?

Not a hundred percent sure on that one, just remember the one.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:46 am

The Schwab wrote:There is a conspiracy in the seeding for the boys tournament!!!!! The coaches MUST have an agenda for the seeding at the boys tournament!!!! Beulah CLEARLY has a better RPI then two of the teams seeded ahead of them!!! This is RIDICULOUS and MUST BE fixed!!!

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

Who are the two teams
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:56 am

hoophoophoop wrote:
The Schwab wrote:There is a conspiracy in the seeding for the boys tournament!!!!! The coaches MUST have an agenda for the seeding at the boys tournament!!!! Beulah CLEARLY has a better RPI then two of the teams seeded ahead of them!!! This is RIDICULOUS and MUST BE fixed!!!

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

Who are the two teams

I was trying to be funny and make a reference to the accusations of collusion for the girls tournaments. According to class B basketball RPI it has Beulah with a higher RPI than NRS and Richland (ND scores Net only has them higher than NRS).

I don't think that there was any collusion here, or in the girls tournament seedings. I could see Beulah being ranked above NRS, but it is what it is.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:58 am

gotch ya
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
Wilbur wrote:Yes they were, back when the played their home games in a horrible little gym in Mandan. (At St. Anthony's I think.)

Yep, it was St. Joseph's. They actually hosted the District Girl's tournament there one year - 1996 if I remember right. When they started the VB program at Shiloh they also played their home games there and for the 1st year they had the old ankle breaker poles on stands. Parking was a pain there too.

Shiloh hosted the District 6 Boys’ Basketball Tournament at St. Joseph’s in 1994, and at the University of Mary in 1995. Shiloh hosted the District 10 Girls’ Basketball Tournament at St. Joe’s in the fall of 1996. Like a lot of locations in Mandan, St. Joe’s is situated on a hill, and whatever limited parking there is, was facing either up or down a hill. It always seemed to be extremely icy in the winter, too.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby aNDkid91 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 pm

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

I tried to read this with a straight face but yeah...no such luck... :wink:
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:39 pm

The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

Who are the two teams

I was trying to be funny and make a reference to the accusations of collusion for the girls tournaments. According to class B basketball RPI it has Beulah with a higher RPI than NRS and Richland (ND scores Net only has them higher than NRS).

I don't think that there was any collusion here, or in the girls tournament seedings. I could see Beulah being ranked above NRS, but it is what it is.

No way. Beulah is the 2nd most western team in the tournament. Therefore they should be ranked #7, at least from what I gather as the preferred seeding mechanism here.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Class B wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

Who are the two teams

No way. Beulah is the 2nd most western team in the tournament. Therefore they should be ranked #7, at least from what I gather as the preferred seeding mechanism here.

Well, they are probably the second best Class A team in the tournament.

Wait. I meant third.

Personally, they shouldn't let any teams in that play home games west of 281.

Seeing as how the west uses that line to b!tc# about travel.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:35 pm

heimer wrote:
Class B wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

Who are the two teams

Wait. I meant third.

With Thompson being the number 1. RPI and schedules don’t mean crap now that Thompson is sitting pretty. And if you had to travel 6 hours to do anything for a state tournament, I can promise you would be the first to complain.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:15 pm

I'm kind of with Heimer here, west of 281 should be its own state, West North Dakota.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Flip wrote:I'm kind of with Heimer here, west of 281 should be its own state, West North Dakota.

Sounds beautiful, did you find out what you wanted to know on the region 2 thread? I was curious where you were going there.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 pm

heimer wrote:
Class B wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:

ANARCHY, ANARCHY!!!!!

Who are the two teams

Wait. I meant third.

While I agree with you about Beulah and their big school status, Kindred gets a pass? Beulah has 218 kids and Kindred has 211.

I seem to remember hearing quite the complaints from Thompson fans about having to come to state babe ruth in hettinger a few years ago, but I forgot, only those of us west of 281 complain about travel! How stupid of me to think otherwise.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:44 pm

packers21 wrote:Sounds beautiful, did you find out what you wanted to know on the region 2 thread? I was curious where you were going there.

Yes. I was curious where HN and Laimore were ranked mostly.

Really waiting for the season to be over so we can start next season's discussion. HN has to have a shot. Basically everyone back. I was impressed with their freshman post player, I thought he held his own. He could be really good.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 pm

While I agree with you about Beulah and their big school status, Kindred gets a pass? Beulah has 218 kids and Kindred has 211.

I seem to remember hearing quite the complaints from Thompson fans about having to come to state babe ruth in hettinger a few years ago, but I forgot, only those of us west of 281 complain about travel! How stupid of me to think otherwise.

No, Kindred doesn't get a pass. However, Kindred is not the team that was Class A as recently as, what, 10 years ago, or so?

But you're right, Kindred is not a "Class B" team. They are a middle class team, if only there was such a thing.

As far as Babe Ruth, I hadn't heard that, but if it happened, I'd say the same thing back to fans that didn't want to travel distance.

That being said, Jamestown didn't have hotel space for a tournament, and they were taken off the list. If the complaints were about lack of places to stay, that would be a legitimate complaint. Grand Forks does not have that problem, and it was Hettinger parents that were complaining SOLELY about distance.

By the way, its 160 more miles, or 2 hours, more from Hettinger to Grand Forks than it is from Abercrombie to Minot. Does Fairmount still play in ND? If so, when they make it, or Hankinson makes it, I doubt they will complain about the trip to Minot.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:17 pm

Again, I have said I’m unsure about the tournament being in the far north east of the state. I’d honestly feel the same about it if Dickinson hosted it. I didn’t think it was the best when Hettinger hosted baseball. The Betty was an outstanding venue for basketball, absolutely outstanding atmosphere. Does that mean I can’t question the rationale of having a team drive 400 miles and a team drive 7. If you look at it rationally I don’t think it’s an out of line thought. However, it doesn’t matter where state is, if my team makes it I’m going. Period.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:18 pm

heimer wrote:No, Kindred doesn't get a pass. However, Kindred is not the team that was Class A as recently as, what, 10 years ago, or so?

Just to answer your question on Beulah...2005-2006 was last year in Class A
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby heimer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm

The Schwab wrote:Again, I have said I’m unsure about the tournament being in the far north east of the state. I’d honestly feel the same about it if Dickinson hosted it. I didn’t think it was the best when Hettinger hosted baseball. The Betty was an outstanding venue for basketball, absolutely outstanding atmosphere. Does that mean I can’t question the rationale of having a team drive 400 miles and a team drive 7. If you look at it rationally I don’t think it’s an out of line thought. However, it doesn’t matter where state is, if my team makes it I’m going. Period.

Minot Ryan is driving zero. Any complaints?

Nope, didn't think so.

This was all about Thompaon playing at the Betty. Has it been the Alerus, you probably wouldn't have saud squat.

If its unfair for a team to drive 400 miles when another drives only 7, Bismarck and Minot should be permanently scratched unless Shiloh, Ryan, and Our Redeemers are disallowed to compete.

See ya in Minneapolis. That's where we will be.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 am

Holy cow do you have to blow everything way out of proportion? I would have said the same no matter what facility it was played in. I’m not hating on Grand Forks, I promise. I actually enjoy going to GF. If you’ve followed any of my thoughts I don’t think Shiloh or Ryan or Our Reedemers should be class B.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 am

Schwab, you said:

"Does that mean I can’t question the rationale of having a team drive 400 miles and a team drive 7."

You can question whatever you wish. However, you have not questioned the ability of Minot Ryan to play literally next door to their school, or Shiloh play in their hometown, or Our Redeemers play in their hometown.

If you're not willing to admit that is, at best the same as Thompson at the Betty, and, and worst, much more unfair, you simply lose all credibility in the travel argument.

As I stated, it's 240 miles from Abercrombie to Minot. Its a matter of yards from Minot Ryan to the Dome.

Tournaments rotate, Thompson is not complaining. They will play, they will do what they do, they will accept the results, and no one will complain that the tournament was in Minot.

If people from Hettinger-Scranton can't do the same, I guess that's your problem. Thompson's girls beat Kindred in their gym, not at the Betty. Kindred played zero games at The Betty, and beat Thompson there, who played three there. You didn't lose to the gym.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:31 pm

I really hope you heard a lot of people from Hettinger-Scranton complain, because if you’re basing your comments on the complaining about my comments, then you’re out of touch with reality. There is a difference between questioning and complaining. I have no problems with the way the tournaments rotate, period. Like you, I would much rather see the girls state in a smaller venue. As far as questioning the “home court advantage” of schools close to or in big towns, I absolutely question it. It bothers me that Bishop Ryan’s campus is closer to the dome then where I parked today. However, I won’t complain as much about that as I coach in a region that plays its regional tournament on someone’s home court every single year.

I think you and I would agree on more than you realize, you won’t find anyone more in favor of small towns at the B tournament then I am.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 pm

"Does that mean I can’t question the rationale of having a team drive 400 miles and a team drive 7."

I hear you. I get it. I agree that we agree more than disagree. But it's really hard to shake this statement. Clearly, there was an effort on the part of the people in Hettinger and Scranton to discredit the tournament before it even started. It wasn't just you. It was parents on the girls board.

If you truly agree with small venues and tournament rotation, withdraw this statement.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:48 pm

I’ll withdraw the statement, if you agree that it shouldn’t be only in Grand Forks ;) I have no problem with teams having to travel if it’s not the same area having to drive the longest distance every year.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys