REGION 3

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: REGION 3

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:03 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 6 will be one of the last with 15 teams (7 in D11 & 8 in D12) & Region 8 has 16 teams (9 in D15 & 7 in D16); these will be the last two regions to likely go to the full region format. Regions 3, 4 & 5 should consider doing it soon; neutral site first round games are a possibility to do instead of home site...Region 1 did that the first year they moved to the 'super region' format...now they do home sites.

Is it ever in the plans to rebalance the districts?
ndlionsfan wrote:I've heard that as soon as Region 4 is down to 12 teams they will go to the super region format. Haven't heard of any future coops that might be in the works, tho.

I've heard Four Winds is a big reason they don't do to a super region. They want the flexibility to schedule more out of district/region games.

What about DP and Lakota? as far as potential co-op.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:36 am

scc wrote:
Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 6 will be one of the last with 15 teams (7 in D11 & 8 in D12) & Region 8 has 16 teams (9 in D15 & 7 in D16); these will be the last two regions to likely go to the full region format. Regions 3, 4 & 5 should consider doing it soon; neutral site first round games are a possibility to do instead of home site...Region 1 did that the first year they moved to the 'super region' format...now they do home sites.

ndlionsfan wrote:I've heard that as soon as Region 4 is down to 12 teams they will go to the super region format. Haven't heard of any future coops that might be in the works, tho.

I've heard Four Winds is a big reason they don't do to a super region. They want the flexibility to schedule more out of district/region games.

DP and Lakota seems like a co-op that can't be far away. Region 4 will probably do away with districts in a couple years, and at that point, the whole state should do it.

Yes I can see that coop happening along with Rolla/Rolette
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
scc wrote:
Flip wrote:

DP and Lakota seems like a co-op that can't be far away. Region 4 will probably do away with districts in a couple years, and at that point, the whole state should do it.

Yes I can see that coop happening along with Rolla/Rolette

I think another logical move would be to move Rugby to R4
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:I think Region 3 should go to a super region format. Teams play each other 3 or 4 times during the season because half the region is in the Stutsman County Tournament plus the post-season. In District 6, the tournament eliminates 2 teams and there is a 99 percent chance you know who those teams will be before the tournament begins.
However, the argument against the super region would be travel for the play-in games. If Strasburg or Linton would play Carrington or Midkota in a play-in, that would be a heck of a hike for one game. Don't know how long the districts will last, but my guess is that Region 3 will be the last to go to super region.

Region 6 will be one of the last with 15 teams (7 in D11 & 8 in D12) & Region 8 has 16 teams (9 in D15 & 7 in D16); these will be the last two regions to likely go to the full region format. Regions 3, 4 & 5 should consider doing it soon; neutral site first round games are a possibility to do instead of home site...Region 1 did that the first year they moved to the 'super region' format...now they do home sites.

I've heard that as soon as Region 4 is down to 12 teams they will go to the super region format. Haven't heard of any future coops that might be in the works, tho.

Additional context for Super Regions and my previous post: Region 4 & 5 already use the format for VB
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Wilbur » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:45 am

Should be an exciting Region 3 Tournament all the way through. LaMoure/LM should be heavily favored over LHMB, but the other 3 quarterfinal games could go either way. My prediction is that the top 2 from the districts will reach the semifinals but I wouldn't be surprised if EKM or Kidder County would make it into the semis if they can find what they were missing during their late-season funks.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:50 pm

I agree that LaMoure is the definite favorite in this region. To me the sleeper team is Napoleon. They have played extremely well the last 3 weeks. They have two legit big time scorers with some very solid players supporting them. The only thing they lack is depth (like most small school teams). This tournament should be a lot of fun.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:06 am

I am going to take Napoleon over Edgely-Kulm, Carrington over Kidder County, LaMoure over Linton and Ellendale over Strasburg today.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CentralCity » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:19 am

Just from what I’ve seen this year, this region is WAY down. Region 5 and 3 are probably tied for the worst. However, Jamison Kramer is easily the best player in this region. Carrington fans might disagree, but it’s truly not close. For this reason they’re my favorite to win the region. Carrington has some pieces and the athleticism is definitely there, but the energy and hustle is not (to keep it very short).

Lamoure over Ellendale 61-47
Carrington over Napoleon 54-50

Lamoure over Carrington 51-44
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:51 pm

Central City, agree 100%. Region 3 is way down this year, mostly due to the mysterious collapse of EKM and the seemingly underachievement of Carrington. LLM is the best team left, but they don't have it wrapped up yet. With that being said, LLM is the only team in the region that has a chance to finish in the top 6 at state. Any of the other teams will be overmatched at state, unless Carrington can all of a sudden find what made them a top five pre-season pick.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:29 am

Wilbur wrote:Central City, agree 100%. Region 3 is way down this year, mostly due to the mysterious collapse of EKM and the seemingly underachievement of Carrington. LLM is the best team left, but they don't have it wrapped up yet. With that being said, LLM is the only team in the region that has a chance to finish in the top 6 at state. Any of the other teams will be overmatched at state, unless Carrington can all of a sudden find what made them a top five pre-season pick.

Are they 100% healthy now? I know they were dealing with a key injury during the season
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:01 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:Central City, agree 100%. Region 3 is way down this year, mostly due to the mysterious collapse of EKM and the seemingly underachievement of Carrington. LLM is the best team left, but they don't have it wrapped up yet. With that being said, LLM is the only team in the region that has a chance to finish in the top 6 at state. Any of the other teams will be overmatched at state, unless Carrington can all of a sudden find what made them a top five pre-season pick.

Are they 100% healthy now? I know they were dealing with a key injury during the season

Carrington's guard is playing with a knee brace, other than that I think they are as healthy as they have been all year. This is Lamoure's region to lose. Region 3 is down this year and District 6 was especially down (and it got worse after L-HMB lost their best player to injury right before Districts). District 6 is made up of small schools and a number of them have small numbers in their programs so that District is going to have years where the entire District is down.
Tonight I will take Carrington over Napoleon in a close game and Lamoure over Ellendale by 14.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsfan111 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am

Sportsrube wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Carrington's guard is playing with a knee brace, other than that I think they are as healthy as they have been all year. This is Lamoure's region to lose. Region 3 is down this year and District 6 was especially down (and it got worse after L-HMB lost their best player to injury right before Districts). District 6 is made up of small schools and a number of them have small numbers in their programs so that District is going to have years where the entire District is down.
Tonight I will take Carrington over Napoleon in a close game and Lamoure over Ellendale by 14.

Not sure if Rosenau is 100%. Carrington’s had a weird season- some wins against good teams and some weird losses. Don’t think Lamoure is as big of a favorite over Carrington as people seem to think. Two close previous matchups. If aggressive Nelson shows some up Carrington wins IMO.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan111 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:23 am

CentralCity wrote:Just from what I’ve seen this year, this region is WAY down. Region 5 and 3 are probably tied for the worst. However, Jamison Kramer is easily the best player in this region. Carrington fans might disagree, but it’s truly not close. For this reason they’re my favorite to win the region. Carrington has some pieces and the athleticism is definitely there, but the energy and hustle is not (to keep it very short).

Really, no hustle? To me that’s the one thing they do have. Not the most skilled team Carrington’s had but they do work hard.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby CentralCity » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:34 pm

sportsfan111 wrote:
CentralCity wrote:Just from what I’ve seen this year, this region is WAY down. Region 5 and 3 are probably tied for the worst. However, Jamison Kramer is easily the best player in this region. Carrington fans might disagree, but it’s truly not close. For this reason they’re my favorite to win the region. Carrington has some pieces and the athleticism is definitely there, but the energy and hustle is not (to keep it very short).

Really, no hustle? To me that’s the one thing they do have. Not the most skilled team Carrington’s had but they do work hard.

We must be watching different games. I’ve seen Carrington get scored on after making a shot (not transition) numerous times, they give up a ton of O boards, don’t crash the boards on offense, don’t run the floor. Just things I’ve noticed. They’re really athletic and can run fast, but that doesn’t mean they work hard.
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 pm

CentralCity wrote:
sportsfan111 wrote:

We must be watching different games. I’ve seen Carrington get scored on after making a shot (not transition) numerous times, they give up a ton of O boards, don’t crash the boards on offense, don’t run the floor. Just things I’ve noticed. They’re really athletic and can run fast, but that doesn’t mean they work hard.

I tend to agree with sportsfan here, the games I’ve seen Carrington play I thought they hung their hats on playing physical D and worked their tails off, they have the number 4 defense in the state. Struggle to score it at times in the half court and they have zero bench but their first 5 are pretty solid.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CentralCity » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm

packers21 wrote:
CentralCity wrote:
sportsfan111 wrote:

I tend to agree with sportsfan here, the games I’ve seen Carrington play I thought they hung their hats on playing physical D and worked their tails off, they have the number 4 defense in the state. Struggle to score it at times in the half court and they have zero bench but their first 5 are pretty solid.

I see two, sometimes 3 kids playing hard. Maybe playing “hard” isn’t the right words. I don’t see them playing with any passion or grit. It’s really tough to watch with the potential some of those kids have
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:12 pm

Very impressed with Ellendale's game plan tonight. Coach Vance had his guys ready for Lamoure. The young post player for Ellendale has just continued to get better and better as the season progressed and he has really changed how Ellendale plays offensively. From what I saw in the semi-finals tonight I have to pick Ellendale over Carrington tomorrow night.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Carrington is actually better defensively this year than they were last year. No question last years team had some offensive weapons, and are seriously missed on that side of the ball this year but defensively this team is WAY BETTER.

I don’t think it is so much about playing with “passion or grit” as much as it is matching your team with a compatable offense for the weapons you have and that is getting better as well. Tomorrow should be a good one! Carrington and Ellendale match up pretty well, with Rosenau getting better every game and the rise of the young Wagner kid for Ellendale you can throw the three previous meetings out the window. A good start tomorrow will be huge.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 am

I've seen a lot of previous comments about Jamison Kramer being the best senior in the Region, by far. Last nights games told a completely different story. The best senior on the court last night was absolutely Austin Molan from Ellendale, who also scored his 1,000 point last night. A pretty big accomplishment given the teams he has played on in his career. Molan shut down Kramer and was unstoppable on offense. Molan is also a sublime passer and is a big part of the young phenom Wagner's emergence.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:05 pm

EHS1998, I agree with you on this one. Molan has definitely stolen the show in the Region 3 Tournament, and is the reason the Cardinals are playing for the championship instead of watching the last two nights of the tournament from the stands. I am impressed with that Wagner kid. I saw him play for the first time about a month ago, and he has improved by leaps and bounds since that short period of time. He has been a killer on the boards (33 rebounds) the past two games, and he dominated the paint (24 pts., 15 rebounds) against a talented Strasburg-Zeeland team in the first round. Don’t know if they can pull it off tonight, but Ellendale has certainly overachieved in this tournament.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby sportsfan111 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm

Wow, what an effort by Ellendale. I’d take Vance over any coach in the region (although there are quite a few good ones). Carrington has no answer for Ellendale’s offense the entire second half.
sportsfan111
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Hats off to Ellendale. Really impressed with their Region tournament run. How about Wagner? 57 points and 47 rebounds in 3 games. Molan averaged over 20 ppg. in 3 games, and Thorpe? Way to sell out in the 4th qtr. in what could have been his final high school game. Ellendale went 32 years (1985-2017) between State appearances, and now they have two in three years. Can’t say enough about the coaching job and the effort of the players. BTW, I am NOT from Ellendale, but have the opportunity to see a few of their games each season.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Great job by Ellendale in the Region tourny. Coach Vance had them prepared for every game and they executed extremely well. Thorpe showed up big time on the offensive end in the 4th qtr hitting some huge 3's. He is a Jr. and should form a very solid duo with Wagner next year. The progress made by Wagner this year has been extremely impressive, again, credit to Coach Vance and the young man's work ethic. They play good team ball and execute very well. Good luck to them in the State B!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby CentralCity » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Sorry to anyone who was offended by my comments on the top player in the region. EHS, you are definitely correct. Molan played the region tournament of a lifetime, hats off to him! There are a lot of good players in the region it is just my opinion that Kramer was the best. And no, I am not an angry Carrington parent who thinks my child should get more recognition. I have not had a child in basketball for 5+ years. I just enjoy watching the game and do not mean to disrespect anyone.
CentralCity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:01 pm

CentralCity wrote:Sorry to anyone who was offended by my comments on the top player in the region. EHS, you are definitely correct. Molan played the region tournament of a lifetime, hats off to him! There are a lot of good players in the region it is just my opinion that Kramer was the best. And no, I am not an angry Carrington parent who thinks my child should get more recognition. I have not had a child in basketball for 5+ years. I just enjoy watching the game and do not mean to disrespect anyone.

I didn't take any offense at all. I just know the player Austin is and what he has meant to the Ellendale program. I'm certain people in Lamoure will feel the same about Jamison. I'll just take the kid who has started for 2 Region Championship teams but I also have no dog in the fight, my sports parenting years are well behind me as well. Just super excited for the boys, their parents and the Ellendale community and for Coach Vance who is truly an exceptional, Hall of Fame level coach.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys