Region 2

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 2

Postby classbman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 am

Getting ready for post season! Always exciting.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby thewwwebb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Does anybody know when the Grafton v Cavalier game that got postponed on Tuesday is rescheduled for?
thewwwebb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 pm

thewwwebb wrote:Does anybody know when the Grafton v Cavalier game that got postponed on Tuesday is rescheduled for?

February 11th
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby thewwwebb » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:13 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
thewwwebb wrote:Does anybody know when the Grafton v Cavalier game that got postponed on Tuesday is rescheduled for?

February 11th

Thanks!
thewwwebb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Plinko123 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Does anybody know if the Thompson/four winds game will be live streamed?
Plinko123
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:51 pm

I would love to see the 3 bigs for Thompson share the court.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Fletcher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:39 pm

packers21 wrote:I would love to see the 3 bigs for Thompson share the court.

Amen! Seems like a competitive advantage they are not utilizing fully.
Fletcher
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Basketball has evolved into 1, 2, 3, & 2 bigs mentality wise and in offensive play tactics... it has evolved away from 2 guards 2 Forwards and 1 Center even though thats how its announced before the game......not to take anything away from any team or coach, everyone does it the way they think is best...........

also (and I believe FW/M has set this presidence in the State in the last 5-6 years) the speed game seems so essential, HC-V has benefited hugely from all their meetings with FWinds in the past 5 years and now Thompson has engaged in making sure they are on their schedule also.....this is an important thing for matching up with High Quality, high speed Ball, Dunseith, St. John, Turtle Mountain, Parshall, White Shield, this is their style too and its becoming the style throughout top ranked teams and it is trying to be implemented into teams who don't even have the total personal for it.....some may think its the "shot clock affect" but its literally Coaches seeing it, and coaches doing it....

If you play AAU or ECI the first thing one will notice is "speed" ......everything is faster...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 am

By the way ... running and gunning has been around forever. Some coaches like and some don't. Nothing new. If you have athletes that can finish... run....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:07 pm

maddog1971 wrote:By the way ... running and gunning has been around forever. Some coaches like and some don't. Nothing new. If you have athletes that can finish... run....

I'm not talking running and gunning...I'm talking transition Basketball, literally very little Offensive sets
along with stingy D...

A running and gunning team is usually unsuccessful in big games because its unorganized and everbody wants to shoot....transition basketball isn't "gunning"

Transition off of a rebound or steal is a taught art in Practice, or generally a result of 5-6-7 guys or gals that have been playing with one another for a long time along with a Coach that recognizes what he/she has in the tank.....Smith (FW) for example has harnessed the "run and gun" (used to play this way) and stresses Defense and Transition
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Vikings2009 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 pm

I agree fast basketball is great but that doesn’t always work against good teams who are ready for it unless your the more lengthy team and play solid defense.
Good team Defense and offensive plays are the most important strategies than just transition basketball especially in close/important games. Win the paint and win the game!!
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Big Blue » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Is it just me or has Region 2 developed in to full fledged two-team race with the rest of the pack chasing them? There are a lot of solid teams, but with how HCV and Thompson are playing as of late, it would need to be quite the upset to knock them off in my opinion.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:12 pm

Big Blue wrote:Is it just me or has Region 2 developed in to full fledged two-team race with the rest of the pack chasing them? There are a lot of solid teams, but with how HCV and Thompson are playing as of late, it would need to be quite the upset to knock them off in my opinion.

Yes, I agree. Thompson isn't the head and shoulders favorite you thought they would be still are they?? I was way off about Larimore they have exceeded my expectations. I do think teams like Grafton, Cavalier, Larimore and HN could beat either one, I agree on the two teams above the rest.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Going into regionals, Thompson will be the one seed. This group is only going to get better the more Scwabe plays with them. Because of that, Thompson is head and shoulders the favorite in Region 2 in my opinion.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Big Blue wrote:Going into regionals, Thompson will be the one seed. This group is only going to get better the more Scwabe plays with them. Because of that, Thompson is head and shoulders the favorite in Region 2 in my opinion.

10-4
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:11 pm

There are 5 teams in R2 that could represent at State and compete with the other 7 Region representatives and do well, Thompson has earned the favorite spot but someone could blow out a Nike, we don't know... games are played for a reason, Region 1 Girls tourn has proven that, one basket here, one basket there and the tide is turned...

If there was a "head and shoulder fav" in R2 well then that team is also State Champ, and I don't think that will be easy for any team from any region, the last 2 State Champs (same team ironically) won on buzzer beater 3's
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 pm

What does everyone think of the Region2 tourney starting today. I think there will be two games that have a chance to be pretty sizable victories for Thompson and HCV. Grafton-Cavalier and Larimore-Hatton-Northwood are pretty intriguing matchups. I still seem to think there is a greater than 50 percent chance that Thompson and HCV end up in title game. But the winner of the Grafton-Cavalier game will be dangerous too. What do you guys think?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:22 pm

Big Blue wrote:What does everyone think of the Region2 tourney starting today. I think there will be two games that have a chance to be pretty sizable victories for Thompson and HCV. Grafton-Cavalier and Larimore-Hatton-Northwood are pretty intriguing matchups. I still seem to think there is a greater than 50 percent chance that Thompson and HCV end up in title game. But the winner of the Grafton-Cavalier game will be dangerous too. What do you guys think?

Tournament is going to be a dandy. Think there is going to be a so called "upset" somewhere along the line. Top 4 are salty, Larimore is only team to knock off Thompson this year and H-N has had some good wins. Wow. Should be fun.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Give credit to North Border for making a positive account of itself in the first round against Thompson. I wouldn't be surprised if they are a top 4 team in the region next season.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:28 am

Congrats to the Thompson Tommies on advancing to its first ever trip to the B! Also, congrats to Senior Player of the Year to Dalton Albrecht of Grafton and Coach of the Year Brandy George. On the Coach of the Year topic, Region 2 had so many deserving candidates this year. In my opinion, you couldn't have gone wrong George, Jennifer Collison, Elliot Rotvold, Keenan Konschak or Riley Lilemoen. Region 2 has always been home to a lot of great coaches and this year wasn't any different. Congrats to all teams on a fun season and good luck to the Tommies at state!
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 am

Congrats to the Tommies was a great game and atmosphere, I was totally shocked by their total domination of the second half, weird things happen when you throw it inside!

NB is a team to watch out for in the next couple years, whats even crazier about that is look at all the talent originally form there playing on other teams in the region.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby airmail » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:57 am

packers21 wrote:weird things happen when you throw it inside!

This.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:23 am

somebody said the worst thing that has happened to Basketball is Stephan Curry shooting 3's and now everybody wants to do it.......Remember, the all time leading scorer (nba) is a Center (kareem), and the second, a power forward (k. malone)..............

Congrats Tommies! well deserved!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby RockNRoll » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:34 pm

winner-within wrote:somebody said the worst thing that has happened to Basketball is Stephan Curry shooting 3's and now everybody wants to do it.......Remember, the all time leading scorer (nba) is a Center (kareem), and the second, a power forward (k. malone)..............

Congrats Tommies! well deserved!

I Agree, More High School Teams should do the same and stop launching threes.
RockNRoll
NDPreps Reserve

Postby steel » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:49 am

I get a kick out of all the haters of Brandy George as Thompson's bb coach, very undeservedly so now singing his praises. Coach George is an excellent a coach and better person. Congrats on the coty and good luck at State. Alot of fair weather Tommie fans. Sometimes when you have a lot of talent makes it the toughest coaching jobs because of all the COACHES in the stands. Should be alot of crow eating in Thompson. Good for you Coach George.
steel
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys