Thoughts following the 2017-18 season

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Thoughts following the 2017-18 season

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Some general observations:

1) I was impressed with several coaches I saw this year. Feller from MR and Brandt from Buelah were two on the best IMO.
2) I'm not sure Hanson was the MOST deserving for MR. BB or not, but he WAS deserving. I do believe he has the most next "level potential" of the candidates.
3) Mcgillis was fun to watch. He goes to the hoop really hard, fearless, hard worker. Really wanted to win. Will need to work on his 15-21 ft game going forward - look forward to watching him play in the future.
4) HCV's "whole" trumped its "parts". Oddly enough, 2 very strong pieces (Henningsgard/Camrud) who in a sense dominated without being knock out scorers (though Henningsgard can score) - Hennings with the floor game, Camrud on the glass. The others were solid role guys, smart, tough, hard workers. They were the best team in the state IMO and proved it. They'll contend as long as they have Henningsgard in uniform, but.....
5) I'll be floored if Thompson finds a way to not make state next year. Lots back, lots coming up.
6) I thought the tournament was very physical. But called fairly. I don't recall a team I think could say they really go the shaft (though I'm sure some believe they did).
7) 3 classes is gaining steam. I certainly believe borderless districts have an enormous advantage. I'd be surprised if the board decides to have kids traveling mid-week 2-3 hours 1 way.
8) Civic center > Minot dome IMO. I miss the fancy introductions of yesteryear though.
9) I believe Shiloh rolls through regions next year (went way out on the limb didn't I!
10) Bohl and Hedberg will be the best back court in the state next year, by a long ways - one of the better ones in quite some time IMO. Very impressive.
11) Nelson from Carrington will improve greatly and be heard from- will be interesting to see who steps up with he and Rosenau.
12) Albrecht from Grafton has a huge year in region 2 - Mr. BB candidate.
13) Region winners: Richland/Thompson/LLM/Langdon/Shiloh/MR/Trinity/FLIP a coin.......
14) People will go nuts with 3 borderless schools in the state tourney..........
15) Shiloh beats Thompson to win it all!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Re: Thoughts following the 2017-18 season

Postby defense1st » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:55 pm

I was happy to see some real parity return to Class B. Seems like the past few years there has been a couple teams that were head and shoulders above the rest, and this year there wasn't a single blowout at the tournament. There even seemed to be more parity within regions as well. We could have seen a number of runners up make it to state and not see a drop in competitiveness.

I'd agree with Wallenda that there are some surefire favorites going into next year, but I think/hope we'll see some similar parity again!
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:23 am

There were many predictions (always is) there have been countless posts on what should/could happen

there will be many predictions...there will be countless posts on what will happen (always fun) but in the end it plays out, the way it plays out, because the game has to be played!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:Some general observations:

1) I was impressed with several coaches I saw this year. Feller from MR and Brandt from Buelah were two on the best IMO.
2) I'm not sure Hanson was the MOST deserving for MR. BB or not, but he WAS deserving. I do believe he has the most next "level potential" of the candidates.
3) Mcgillis was fun to watch. He goes to the hoop really hard, fearless, hard worker. Really wanted to win. Will need to work on his 15-21 ft game going forward - look forward to watching him play in the future.
4) HCV's "whole" trumped its "parts". Oddly enough, 2 very strong pieces (Henningsgard/Camrud) who in a sense dominated without being knock out scorers (though Henningsgard can score) - Hennings with the floor game, Camrud on the glass. The others were solid role guys, smart, tough, hard workers. They were the best team in the state IMO and proved it. They'll contend as long as they have Henningsgard in uniform, but.....
5) I'll be floored if Thompson finds a way to not make state next year. Lots back, lots coming up.
6) I thought the tournament was very physical. But called fairly. I don't recall a team I think could say they really go the shaft (though I'm sure some believe they did).
7) 3 classes is gaining steam. I certainly believe borderless districts have an enormous advantage. I'd be surprised if the board decides to have kids traveling mid-week 2-3 hours 1 way.
8) Civic center > Minot dome IMO. I miss the fancy introductions of yesteryear though.
9) I believe Shiloh rolls through regions next year (went way out on the limb didn't I!
10) Bohl and Hedberg will be the best back court in the state next year, by a long ways - one of the better ones in quite some time IMO. Very impressive.
11) Nelson from Carrington will improve greatly and be heard from- will be interesting to see who steps up with he and Rosenau.
13) Region winners: Richland/Thompson/LLM/Langdon/Shiloh/MR/Trinity/FLIP a coin.......
14) People will go nuts with 3 borderless schools in the state tourney..........

Proud of myself!!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:Some general observations:

Proud of myself!!

Nice work! Now, lets see next years!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Overtime games and close finishes always prove nobody is "the best team" all the way from ND Class B to the NCAA "big dance" this has been proven in many many tourns and hugely this year in both.....Now Minnehaha? (with suggs) thats what you call "hands down the best team" and a "hands down second best team" in Minneapolis North.......I've always said the key to HCV's back to back Champs was Camrudes glass dominance..........
I coached him in the Grand Am last year and he and a bunch of class of 2020's (sophs) lost to West Fargo Shockers (all Seniors, went on and won it) in the first game (why they had us playing each other in the first game I have no Idea, we had won it the year before) by 1 in OT....he's a flat out horse on the Boards.......

theres a lot of limelight on just certain things and certain aspects, and less on others, on this old forum..........
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys