State and This n That observations

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State and This n That observations

Postby ReadyToPlay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:00 am

General fan observations--HCV title game: What a shame that Troftgruben wouldn't have seen floor in 2nd half if it hadn't been for overtime... no way to sugar coat it as its been happening for years with a player scoring or really playing great a previous game and then doesn't see the light of day the next game (coaches scapegoat is always the term "match ups"). Troftgruben steps in with the beginning of overtime, match ups are the same, so there goes that theory.
Carrington was in the best "never give up team" 1-4 quarters.
Blows my mind that Stanley with size and talent doesn't win a game at state.
Henningsgard has total command.
Thompson goes to state next year according to roster..
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:General fan observations--HCV title game: What a shame that Troftgruben wouldn't have seen floor in 2nd half if it hadn't been for overtime... no way to sugar coat it as its been happening for years with a player scoring or really playing great a previous game and then doesn't see the light of day the next game (coaches scapegoat is always the term "match ups"). Troftgruben steps in with the beginning of overtime, match ups are the same, so there goes that theory.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3739
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby ReadyToPlay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:39 am

Why does the coaching staff do this to players?
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:05 am

Pretty hard to question Rotvold isn't it?? Back to Back Champs man
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 786
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:32 am

Matchups were not the same...Didn’t Camrud foul out near the end of regulation?

Troftgruben is a role player that really accepted his role to the team. He was asked to step up and did in a huge situation...he played his role and is now a part of a rare back-2-back State Championship honor.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14342
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby heimer » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:54 am

When your enrollment is 208, and you're in a Class B tournament, it's easy to forget how much talent you have on your team.

Lord, I apologize for that........
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:11 pm
Location: Rupert's Land

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby ReadyToPlay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:54 am

packers21 wrote:Pretty hard to question Rotvold isn't it?? Back to Back Champs man


Henningsgard is the MVP and Troftgruben got remembered just in the nick of time....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:24 am

heimer wrote:When your enrollment is 208, and you're in a Class B tournament, it's easy to forget how much talent you have on your team.

Lord, I apologize for that........


How many other teams in the 80s/90s/00s have had enrollments over 200? Quite a few....I do not see H/CV enrollment numbers "ruining the B".

Heck I believe in 98 Botno, Standing Rock and Beulah were all over 250 and MPCG and DLB were over 200. Could be wrong, but I'll go dig out the old programs and see.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3688
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:19 pm

I kept a close eye on HCV in the tourney just because I live in that region...
how they conducted the rotation of players I think was spot on....#34 brought to the table a legitimate run at another title I believe with his size an ability....his scoring seemed to come on as of late too (regions than State)....the HCV co-op has it going on and Dave Nelson (had a run of his own with MPCG) I believe plays a big part in that with his BB pedigree...

the rest of the tournament I won't go into detail but I though it was very entertaining...

side note:
with all the scrutiny being directed at privates and big B's, I'll throw this out there
I have visited with guys who were on the North Border team that won the State Class B Championship in 2001
the season before the 2 Schools (walhalla/North border pembina, neche) were both successful... so my point being, there was going to be players who would have played much more had the co-op not taken place....so one has 8 semesters of their life, to play a sport they love, for a High School they attend...some things can throw a screw into that....this being one!

there is an age old Aphorism "life isn't all about" .....so do we use this, saying, in regards to Class B HS basketball?
it would go like this "Life isn't all about HS basketball" ....or is it at that age?

Idioms and Aphorisms don't erase what might have been
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Mossy84 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 am

I would like to put the shoe on the other foot, what was everyones thoughts on Bismarck having the state B this year?
My thoughts personally I was not very impressed with what the Civic Center had to offer-- seemed like they said well...lets throw it together and hope everything goes as planned there was no flash like the way Minot does it. Everyone that I talked to had issues with there seats-- people didnt know what were reserve seats or what was GA seats? Where the heck were the ushers? I understand they had a concert the night before but it was embarrassing. So with this... I propose...that..

CLASS A and CLASS B should have dedicated locations :

CLASS A BOYS AND GIRLS: FARGO OR BISMARCK-- from what I heard Class A had there best attendance in SHAC in the last 5 years. Keep it there!

CLASS B BOYS AND GIRLS- WHY NOT MINOT!- Perfect venue for the B everyone likes it there. Players , Students and parents. You're on top of the action and thats what Class B is all about. The dome is making reinventions so it will progressively keep getting better over time. MSU cares about having this event and it shows.
Mossy84
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Mossy84 wrote:I would like to put the shoe on the other foot, what was everyones thoughts on Bismarck having the state B this year?
My thoughts personally I was not very impressed with what the Civic Center had to offer-- seemed like they said well...lets throw it together and hope everything goes as planned there was no flash like the way Minot does it. Everyone that I talked to had issues with there seats-- people didnt know what were reserve seats or what was GA seats? Where the heck were the ushers? I understand they had a concert the night before but it was embarrassing. So with this... I propose...that..

CLASS A and CLASS B should have dedicated locations :

CLASS A BOYS AND GIRLS: FARGO OR BISMARCK-- from what I heard Class A had there best attendance in SHAC in the last 5 years. Keep it there!

CLASS B BOYS AND GIRLS- WHY NOT MINOT!- Perfect venue for the B everyone likes it there. Players , Students and parents. You're on top of the action and thats what Class B is all about. The dome is making reinventions so it will progressively keep getting better over time. MSU cares about having this event and it shows.


I agree that Minot has a better atmosphere for the Class B Tournament, and even though it is a further drive for me, I would rather have it in Minot every year.
With that being said, there was a time when Bismarck stood head and shoulders above the rest when hosting the tournament. Remember the wood bleachers on one side and the ends of the court at the Civic Center? Fans were more compact and closer to the court, and the place was always really loud. I remember seeing the wave for the first time at the Civic center and it was spectacular. All of that seemed to be lost with all of the renovations and corporate influence at the BCC over the years.
The first State Tournament I attended outside of Bismarck was in 1986. I remember the announcer was looking into the crowd with binoculars to see the jackets worn by attendees from various schools. I can't remember the number, but it seemed like every school in ND was called off. Those were the days when all these small towns around Minot had schools like Donnybrook, Carpio, Lansford, Balta and Upham, just to name a few. Still one of my favorite tournaments I attended as a spectator.
The Girls State was there that fall, too, and had a great atmosphere. I think that may have been the first year it moved from the Auditorium to the Dome, but not certain.
Don't mind it moving back and forth to Bismarck, but Fargo and Grand Forks should be out of the equation IMO. (Maybe Fargo will be better if they start using an actual basketball arena instead of a third of a football stadium for basketball).
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Old Drifter » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:General fan observations--HCV title game: What a shame that Troftgruben wouldn't have seen floor in 2nd half if it hadn't been for overtime... no way to sugar coat it as its been happening for years with a player scoring or really playing great a previous game and then doesn't see the light of day the next game (coaches scapegoat is always the term "match ups"). Troftgruben steps in with the beginning of overtime, match ups are the same, so there goes that theory.
Carrington was in the best "never give up team" 1-4 quarters.
Blows my mind that Stanley with size and talent doesn't win a game at state.
Henningsgard has total command.
Thompson goes to state next year according to roster..


I too am surprised at Stanley not winning a game in two consecutive appearances at the state tourney...like you said, with their size and talent they should have blown at least a couple or three teams out but...big choke...I of course don't know what the players were thinkin but they were the darlings of region 8 and were expected to waltz through the state tournament but...could it be they began believing their own hype...???
Old Drifter
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 am

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:56 pm

Old Drifter wrote:
ReadyToPlay wrote:General fan observations--HCV title game: What a shame that Troftgruben wouldn't have seen floor in 2nd half if it hadn't been for overtime... no way to sugar coat it as its been happening for years with a player scoring or really playing great a previous game and then doesn't see the light of day the next game (coaches scapegoat is always the term "match ups"). Troftgruben steps in with the beginning of overtime, match ups are the same, so there goes that theory.
Carrington was in the best "never give up team" 1-4 quarters.
Blows my mind that Stanley with size and talent doesn't win a game at state.
Henningsgard has total command.
Thompson goes to state next year according to roster..


I too am surprised at Stanley not winning a game in two consecutive appearances at the state tourney...like you said, with their size and talent they should have blown at least a couple or three teams out but...big choke...I of course don't know what the players were thinkin but they were the darlings of region 8 and were expected to waltz through the state tournament but...could it be they began believing their own hype...???


Missing a starting guard probably didn’t help. Also they did win 7th/8th Place game in 2017 (over TLMM)
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14342
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm
Location: Fargo

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:58 pm

Old Drifter wrote:
ReadyToPlay wrote:General fan observations--HCV title game: What a shame that Troftgruben wouldn't have seen floor in 2nd half if it hadn't been for overtime... no way to sugar coat it as its been happening for years with a player scoring or really playing great a previous game and then doesn't see the light of day the next game (coaches scapegoat is always the term "match ups"). Troftgruben steps in with the beginning of overtime, match ups are the same, so there goes that theory.
Carrington was in the best "never give up team" 1-4 quarters.
Blows my mind that Stanley with size and talent doesn't win a game at state.
Henningsgard has total command.
Thompson goes to state next year according to roster..


I too am surprised at Stanley not winning a game in two consecutive appearances at the state tourney...like you said, with their size and talent they should have blown at least a couple or three teams out but...big choke...I of course don't know what the players were thinkin but they were the darlings of region 8 and were expected to waltz through the state tournament but...could it be they began believing their own hype...???


When their AD mentioned they had to put up new rims in the Gym and so on and so forth, I think there was an element of "highlight reel" involved in all of the last 2 seasons.....I'm by no means taking a way from the fact they had a Top dog on their team but the team was dialed "all offense" they lacked dramatically on Defense and didn't seem to play with much imperativeness.....I was hoping they would stay on TV through this tourney also...sure, to see a dunk or 2 but just to watch the Hanson's......and yes missing a player must have been a set back....especially in the back court...
Last edited by winner-within on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4754
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: State and This n That observations

Postby Mossy84 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Wilbur wrote:
Mossy84 wrote:I would like to put the shoe on the other foot, what was everyones thoughts on Bismarck having the state B this year?
My thoughts personally I was not very impressed with what the Civic Center had to offer-- seemed like they said well...lets throw it together and hope everything goes as planned there was no flash like the way Minot does it. Everyone that I talked to had issues with there seats-- people didnt know what were reserve seats or what was GA seats? Where the heck were the ushers? I understand they had a concert the night before but it was embarrassing. So with this... I propose...that..

CLASS A and CLASS B should have dedicated locations :

CLASS A BOYS AND GIRLS: FARGO OR BISMARCK-- from what I heard Class A had there best attendance in SHAC in the last 5 years. Keep it there!

CLASS B BOYS AND GIRLS- WHY NOT MINOT!- Perfect venue for the B everyone likes it there. Players , Students and parents. You're on top of the action and thats what Class B is all about. The dome is making reinventions so it will progressively keep getting better over time. MSU cares about having this event and it shows.


I agree that Minot has a better atmosphere for the Class B Tournament, and even though it is a further drive for me, I would rather have it in Minot every year.
With that being said, there was a time when Bismarck stood head and shoulders above the rest when hosting the tournament. Remember the wood bleachers on one side and the ends of the court at the Civic Center? Fans were more compact and closer to the court, and the place was always really loud. I remember seeing the wave for the first time at the Civic center and it was spectacular. All of that seemed to be lost with all of the renovations and corporate influence at the BCC over the years.
The first State Tournament I attended outside of Bismarck was in 1986. I remember the announcer was looking into the crowd with binoculars to see the jackets worn by attendees from various schools. I can't remember the number, but it seemed like every school in ND was called off. Those were the days when all these small towns around Minot had schools like Donnybrook, Carpio, Lansford, Balta and Upham, just to name a few. Still one of my favorite tournaments I attended as a spectator.
The Girls State was there that fall, too, and had a great atmosphere. I think that may have been the first year it moved from the Auditorium to the Dome, but not certain.
Don't mind it moving back and forth to Bismarck, but Fargo and Grand Forks should be out of the equation IMO. (Maybe Fargo will be better if they start using an actual basketball arena instead of a third of a football stadium for basketball).


There is no reason to have it in Grand Forks unless they put in the Ralph which I dont think would happen. I think it would be very cool but they already get stuck hosting state Hockey every year I am guessing they dont what that headache the B has to offer even those I think it is a CASH COW for the community of Grand Forks. The SHAC in Fargo is something that fargo could use in there favor for CLASS A in the future, I think it is a little to small for CLASS B -- maybe they could host girls those. Attendance was really down in Minot this year it seemed like. All I know is I hope it isnt in Bismarck for a couple years or else I will stay at home with some hot chocolate and watch it on my recliner because I dont mind Dom Izzo.
Mossy84
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am


Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests