Mr and Miss Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mr and Miss Basketball

Postby BigDakota » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:01 am

This is something that has bothered me for a long time. Why do they present the most prestigious individual award a player can receive in such a clumsy manner? After a state championship game in the corner of the arena practically under the bleachers! The kids look like they were pulled out of the stands at the last minute.
Why not a press conference or luncheon with the finalists and their families. The kids could dress up and it would seem more dignified than the afterthought it seems now. I'm not blaming the finalists just think its done on the cheap by the media.
BigDakota
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Mr and Miss Basketball

Postby Big Blue » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:17 am

Is the state cheap too for simply announcing winners at center court?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NodakQ2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:04 am

Big Blue wrote:Is the state cheap too for simply announcing winners at center court?

It is not a “State” award, it is a media award being given at a NDHSAA event, I agree with Big Dakota, make it a special separate event rather than a dark secret meeting under the bleachers.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NoDakGuy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:55 pm

I believe it's due to a large amount of booing that was done a handful of years back. I can't remember who won, but I do recall the booing once the winner was named.
NoDakGuy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:12 pm

NoDakGuy wrote:I believe it's due to a large amount of booing that was done a handful of years back. I can't remember who won, but I do recall the booing once the winner was named.

previous poster said it. It's not a NDHSAA award, it's a media award.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:39 pm

NoDakGuy wrote:I believe it's due to a large amount of booing that was done a handful of years back. I can't remember who won, but I do recall the booing once the winner was named.

I think this was the year that Williston kid won it, and two Class B players (Leraas from Hillsboro and Carr from Linton) who each scored over 2,000 points in their careers, did not even come close in the voting. That may be the problem with announcing it at a Class B event. I agree. It should be more of an open event. However, like others have said, The NDHSAA has nothing to do with the award, and I am sure there is plenty of red tape to go through in order for the ND Media to use NDHSAA’s biggest stage for its award ceremony. TV contracts and advertising is a tricky business that a lot of us just don’t understand.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BigDakota » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:46 pm

That's is another reason to present the award at a separate time and venue. A class A player receiving the award after a "B" tournament opens itself up to that. I don't know if I should have used the word "cheap" in describing it as I don't think its a matter of dollars and cents. Its just gives the appearance that its something to do before they wrap up their coverage for the season. Btw, I thought Hanson from Stanley did a nice job with his interview after receiving the award last night. He was humble and gracious and thanked those helped him get the award. Well done!
BigDakota
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lamontcranston » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:00 am

The fact is that Mr. and Miss Basketball used to be presented to the full venue. Once the coaches came up with the Senior Athlete of the Year award, Mr. and Miss Basketball were no longer allowed to be presented in that way. NDAPSSA continues to present the award as they always have, at the end of the tournament. They are just not allowed to do so in front of the full venue.
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ReadyToPlay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 am

There is no place at all for "Senior athlete of the year or Mr Basketball" as basketball is a team sport..
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:07 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:There is no place at all for "Senior athlete of the year or Mr Basketball" as basketball is a team sport..

Haha o lord, ur on a heater today!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby aNDkid91 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:51 pm

BigDakota wrote:

That's is another reason to present the award at a separate time and venue. A class A player receiving the award after a "B" tournament opens itself up to that. I don't know if I should have used the word "cheap" in describing it as I don't think its a matter of dollars and cents. Its just gives the appearance that its something to do before they wrap up their coverage for the season. Btw, I thought Hanson from Stanley did a nice job with his interview after receiving the award last night. He was humble and gracious and thanked those helped him get the award. Well done!

I agree with your thoughts on Wyatt Hanson. I also appreciated that he took a moment to acknowledge those who were nominated with him. Very well done.
aNDkid91
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:There is no place at all for "Senior athlete of the year or Mr Basketball" as basketball is a team sport..

Are you for real?? I bet everyone in the state gets a participation ribbon too......smh :roll:
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys