2018 State Tournament

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Baller wrote:Do you really think that at $9400 a student, Oak Grove is going to turn anyone that is not a disruption to their school away?????


Your point makes sense, but public schools CAN'T turn away the disruption.


My point is that they are not trying to keep their enrollment below a certain number. If they could get 400 students in their school, they would be ecstatic. I do believe that Private schools have certain advantages over some of the class B schools (not including suburban schools) but "being able to turn away students" is NOT one of them.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
User avatar
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: Eastern North Dakota, ,

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:39 pm

Baller wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Baller wrote:Do you really think that at $9400 a student, Oak Grove is going to turn anyone that is not a disruption to their school away?????


Your point makes sense, but public schools CAN'T turn away the disruption.


My point is that they are not trying to keep their enrollment below a certain number. If they could get 400 students in their school, they would be ecstatic. I do believe that Private schools have certain advantages over some of the class B schools (not including suburban schools) but "being able to turn away students" is NOT one of them.


Interesting article from the Minot Daily News that came out around the time South Prairie High School opened:

http://www.minotdailynews.com/uncategorized/2015/08/south-prairie-high-school-open-house-tonight/

Stanley said South Prairie has received a number of open enrollment requests for students from Minot and other surrounding school districts. The district is still taking open enrollments, depending on whether there is enough room at a particular grade level. Stanley said he thinks some of the open enrollments come from private schools in Minot, where parents might be attracted by a small school setting at South Prairie and no longer having to pay private school tuition.


So we have a Superintendent at a "suburban" Class B school claiming that they are siphoning off kids from the private schools. I guess this will be the next class of schools for everyone to hate.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby NodakQ2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:56 pm

B Historian wrote:
Baller wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Baller wrote:Do you really think that at $9400 a student, Oak Grove is going to turn anyone that is not a disruption to their school away?????


Your point makes sense, but public schools CAN'T turn away the disruption.


My point is that they are not trying to keep their enrollment below a certain number. If they could get 400 students in their school, they would be ecstatic. I do believe that Private schools have certain advantages over some of the class B schools (not including suburban schools) but "being able to turn away students" is NOT one of them.


Interesting article from the Minot Daily News that came out around the time South Prairie High School opened:

http://www.minotdailynews.com/uncategorized/2015/08/south-prairie-high-school-open-house-tonight/

Stanley said South Prairie has received a number of open enrollment requests for students from Minot and other surrounding school districts. The district is still taking open enrollments, depending on whether there is enough room at a particular grade level. Stanley said he thinks some of the open enrollments come from private schools in Minot, where parents might be attracted by a small school setting at South Prairie and no longer having to pay private school tuition.


So we have a Superintendent at a "suburban" Class B school claiming that they are siphoning off kids from the private schools. I guess this will be the next class of schools for everyone to hate.


That creates a whole other Class:

Class BS - "B" Siphoners
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:48 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:34 pm

KCATOR wrote:I have a question we always focus on the enrollment of these private schools. Key word private they do not have to accept everyone to their school that makes it pretty easy to keep enrollment down so you don't have to move up a level. School like Beulah, WC, Kindred once their enrollment reaches high numbers they can't tell a kid that they can not attend.

Spot on! can't believe no one ever thought of this before. But what is the reason for all these schools staying 150-200 students below the 325 cutoff? You think they're just being careful.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby number1fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:41 am

All you complaining about the officials, I have one thing to say....grab a whistle!!
number1fan
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:31 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Makotifarmguy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am

So we have a Superintendent at a "suburban" Class B school claiming that they are siphoning off kids from the private schools. I guess this will be the next class of schools for everyone to hate.


I think you need to read that again. He is making an educated guess. Is he right? Could be. Could he be wrong? Maybe parents moved to south Minot and that is a better option? Maybe they think that since it is a new school, it is a better school? What I am trying to say is that the Sup is making an educated guess. he is not actively siphoning or recruiting kids. He is managing a school, a new school, with new facilities. There are just so many scenarios I could throw out.

I won't comment about Private Schools. Unless you have direct experience in seeing the recruitment or worked undercover there, I just don't think you can form an honest opinion. I saw public schools recruit in the 90's and private schools recruit in the 90's. But I do agree with The Schwab; they have access to resources that the kids in our small Class B schools do not. Does it justify them into Class A, I am torn on this. I see it both ways.

Wife and I attended Thursday, watched the rest of the time. Good atmosphere but I am not sure I could say it was better than the days in the 80's or early 90's when we attended the games. But I am growing older so maybe I am just trying to relive the past. I think the offensive talent is there, but the defense is lacking. I ready an article that AAU ball is killing our kids. Had some merit I believe, sigh; another argument for a different day.

Might be pulling calves later today, any volunteers? lol
"Take the bull by the horns"
User avatar
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am
Location: Middle of the Prairie

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:32 am

the one moment that rings in my head of the State Tournament was when McGillis banged his head on the floor and was cut....as he walked off with blood all over his face (watched on TV) he was shaking his head.....I think he was thinking that the game had went a little helter skelter and chippy ( I know I was) and that after 2 seasons, with a couple losses, and finally making it, that it was ending up like this....just my observation....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby senditin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:10 am

I saw the attendance for the championship game was around 8500. When FWM played in the game 2 years ago it was 11000+ , if I am not mistaken. Bottom line, FWM brings the fans. Ask the Minot Dome. With that being said, FWM reloaded and will definitely be heard from the next 3 years. BTW, we lost 2 seniors in the preseason to serious knee injuries. With them I believe we would have been back at state, but those are the breaks.
senditin
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:
So we have a Superintendent at a "suburban" Class B school claiming that they are siphoning off kids from the private schools. I guess this will be the next class of schools for everyone to hate.


I think you need to read that again. He is making an educated guess. Is he right? Could be. Could he be wrong? Maybe parents moved to south Minot and that is a better option? Maybe they think that since it is a new school, it is a better school? What I am trying to say is that the Sup is making an educated guess. he is not actively siphoning or recruiting kids. He is managing a school, a new school, with new facilities. There are just so many scenarios I could throw out.

I won't comment about Private Schools. Unless you have direct experience in seeing the recruitment or worked undercover there, I just don't think you can form an honest opinion. I saw public schools recruit in the 90's and private schools recruit in the 90's. But I do agree with The Schwab; they have access to resources that the kids in our small Class B schools do not. Does it justify them into Class A, I am torn on this. I see it both ways.

Wife and I attended Thursday, watched the rest of the time. Good atmosphere but I am not sure I could say it was better than the days in the 80's or early 90's when we attended the games. But I am growing older so maybe I am just trying to relive the past. I think the offensive talent is there, but the defense is lacking. I ready an article that AAU ball is killing our kids. Had some merit I believe, sigh; another argument for a different day.

Might be pulling calves later today, any volunteers? lol


I made no claim that South Prairie is actively recruiting players and I don't believe that to be the case. However, if the Superintendent is saying he thinks they are getting kids open enrolling that may have previously picked private schools in the past we shouldn't believe him?

The Minot area is ripe for this sort of thing because of the size of Minot High and the success of the basketball program. It's not easy to get on the court there and parents want their kids to go somewhere where they can play. This is why two smaller private schools have success and why South Prairie and Nedrose will probably see success soon.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:08 pm

B Historian wrote:
Makotifarmguy wrote:
So we have a Superintendent at a "suburban" Class B school claiming that they are siphoning off kids from the private schools. I guess this will be the next class of schools for everyone to hate.


I think you need to read that again. He is making an educated guess. Is he right? Could be. Could he be wrong? Maybe parents moved to south Minot and that is a better option? Maybe they think that since it is a new school, it is a better school? What I am trying to say is that the Sup is making an educated guess. he is not actively siphoning or recruiting kids. He is managing a school, a new school, with new facilities. There are just so many scenarios I could throw out.

I won't comment about Private Schools. Unless you have direct experience in seeing the recruitment or worked undercover there, I just don't think you can form an honest opinion. I saw public schools recruit in the 90's and private schools recruit in the 90's. But I do agree with The Schwab; they have access to resources that the kids in our small Class B schools do not. Does it justify them into Class A, I am torn on this. I see it both ways.

Wife and I attended Thursday, watched the rest of the time. Good atmosphere but I am not sure I could say it was better than the days in the 80's or early 90's when we attended the games. But I am growing older so maybe I am just trying to relive the past. I think the offensive talent is there, but the defense is lacking. I ready an article that AAU ball is killing our kids. Had some merit I believe, sigh; another argument for a different day.

Might be pulling calves later today, any volunteers? lol


I made no claim that South Prairie is actively recruiting players and I don't believe that to be the case. However, if the Superintendent is saying he thinks they are getting kids open enrolling that may have previously picked private schools in the past we shouldn't believe him?

The Minot area is ripe for this sort of thing because of the size of Minot High and the success of the basketball program. It's not easy to get on the court there and parents want their kids to go somewhere where they can play. This is why two smaller private schools have success and why South Prairie and Nedrose will probably see success soon.


This could literally be the case in the future for West Fargo......Will we see another Private in this area?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm

winner-within wrote:This could literally be the case in the future for West Fargo......Will we see another Private in this area?

Last private school established was Our Redeemer's in '82??? why would you think there would be another private school in the future in ND?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby packers21 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:14 am

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:This could literally be the case in the future for West Fargo......Will we see another Private in this area?

Last private school established was Our Redeemer's in '82??? why would you think there would be another private school in the future in ND?


Bc God loves basketball!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:55 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:01 am

packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:This could literally be the case in the future for West Fargo......Will we see another Private in this area?

Last private school established was Our Redeemer's in '82??? why would you think there would be another private school in the future in ND?


Bc God loves basketball!


:lol:
I know Sister Jean does :D

truthfully, only because another HS would immediately be Class A and a tough vote.....if its private things get established differently than a Public I would assume.....with that said I know there is N. Cass C. Cass and even Kindred...........but with Shanley being Class A and with all the students in W. Fargo (more in elementary vs HS now I would assume) a smaller HS school would fit perfectly and would have to be private if it was in the district..
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4716
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:57 am

winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:This could literally be the case in the future for West Fargo......Will we see another Private in this area?

Last private school established was Our Redeemer's in '82??? why would you think there would be another private school in the future in ND?


Bc God loves basketball!


:lol:
I know Sister Jean does :D

truthfully, only because another HS would immediately be Class A and a tough vote.....if its private things get established differently than a Public I would assume.....with that said I know there is N. Cass C. Cass and even Kindred...........but with Shanley being Class A and with all the students in W. Fargo (more in elementary vs HS now I would assume) a smaller HS school would fit perfectly and would have to be private if it was in the district..


I believe a 3rd public school will open before a private school forms in WF...just my opinion (and I know talks have occurred about a 3rd WF School in the future with all the growth in WF.

I remember an article saying by 2020 the district will likely need it
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13939
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Edger » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:45 am

On the subject of new private schools popping up, does anyone know anything about the new Private in Bismarck? Dakota Adventist Academy. They are listed in NDHSAANOW Boys Teams as having an Independent Schedule this year.

Their website says that they are a Private Boarding School that welcomes all faiths. Fairly new and pretty small at this time, but I wonder what their future has in store. An eventual class B, possibly? Because as a boarding school they can bring in kids from out of state? Curious to know if anyone is aware of this, or has any thoughts on this?
Edger
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 am

Edger wrote:On the subject of new private schools popping up, does anyone know anything about the new Private in Bismarck? Dakota Adventist Academy. They are listed in NDHSAANOW Boys Teams as having an Independent Schedule this year.

Their website says that they are a Private Boarding School that welcomes all faiths. Fairly new and pretty small at this time, but I wonder what their future has in store. An eventual class B, possibly? Because as a boarding school they can bring in kids from out of state? Curious to know if anyone is aware of this, or has any thoughts on this?


Dakota Adventist athletics has been around for a couple years...really small now...just started playing independently. Several years away from being a ‘B’ school IMO.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 13939
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: 2018 State Tournament

Postby washed_up » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:25 am

The Dakota Adventist Academy has been around since at least the 1980's. It is located about 10 miles north of Bismarck east of the Missouri River. It may be that they are new to athletics though.
washed_up
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:59 am

Previous

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests