What does Class B need most?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

What does Class B need most?

A shot clock
31%
A switch to two 18-minute halves
8%
Dismantle Class B and create a three-class system.
4%
Nothing. Why change a good thing?
56%

Total votes : 48

Postby project-pat » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:06 am

let's see here, if you put in a shot clock, then it wouldn't be as up tempo. If you switch to 18 minute halves, that'd just be stupid. We don't want to turn into class A here now do we? And if you dismantle it all together, then that'd just ruin one of the best things North Dakota has going for it. What is better than the B. nothing
project-pat

Postby scruffy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:11 am

Leave it as is!  Most class "B" teams don't have the depth needed to run two 18 minute halves.  A team would have to get at LEAST one more man in their rotation.  As for a shot clock I bet  ninety percent of the games it would never come into play.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:06 pm

If class B was to need anything IMO it would be a shot clock. It would pick up the pace and allow teams not to stall at the end of the games to preserve a lead. I also think it would be nice to have two 18 min halves untill scruffy made a very good point in that most teams would not have the depth to do so. Some teams from smaller towns have enough trouble with depth in games the way it is now. The most ridiculous thing would be going to a 3 class system. The "B" is maybe the biggest event in North Dakota. People love the NCAA Tourney in college because it seems like every year there is a cinderella team. It is the same way with class b basketball in North Dakota. There are 126 teams in class b which makes it a great feat in itself to make it to the state tournament. If ND was to go to a 3 class system it would take the "Hoosier" out of basketball. Gotta love the Davids vs Goliath matchups that happen every year.
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby magic715 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:37 pm

SCC wrote:I wouldn't mind a shot clock, but I wonder how much it would really help boost scoring.  Teams that want to slow things down would still be able to eat up most of the time on the shot clock...if they can get a good shot before the clock runs out.

Now i definitely think Class B needs a shot clock. I just look at what it did to class A, scoring has jumped about 50% to 75%(for most teams) from when they did not have a clock. I remember Minot vs Williston and Minot vs Bismarck games being in the 30's and 40's alot of the time. Now u see these teams scoring 70 and 80 consistently, very fun basketball to watch, and i use to hate to watch class A. Now class B is the slow game, and not as fun to watch. Now SCC wrote that teams can still slow things down , but it is really tough to do, then you have pressured yourself against the clock and now u might not get off a good shot, with the clock u take the first good shot u have, u see it all the time in class A. I also dont have a clue what project pat is talking about that it would slow tempo, it is proven it doesnt, if u have a 30 or 35 second clock nobody takes it down to zero unless the defense is that good, and the clock also rewards good defense.
Last edited by magic715 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magic715

Postby One For All » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:20 pm

i think PBK ran a good 45 seconds off the clock before the buzzer-beater against lamoure last year..shot clock would not be a bad idea..or if its possible just use a shot clock at the 2-minute mark or something (maybe kinda dumb cuz players could forget about it)
One For All

Postby bison_18 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:52 pm

I think Class B is fun to watch. It just depends on what teams you're watching. I guess the games I've seen have been pretty uptempo. I do think a shot clock would help with just end of the game kinda thing just so teams can't go to 4 corners and milk the clock the whole 4 qtr. You probly don't see that much, but during a region championship it could happen. Team up by 15 or so w/ 5 min left and just run around and not try to score. That would be when u would need a shot clock.
bison_18
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic715 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:45 pm

SCC wrote:Trinity ran over 50 seconds off before the game winning shot in last year's state championship game.  While I was pulling for May-Port CG to win the game, it didn't bother me that Trinity ran off all that time because it's part of the game.  Sometimes it doesn't work to a team's advantage, as was the case when May-Port CG faced Carrington in the state semifinals in 1995 and slowed the game down with over three minutes left.  Carrington came back and won because of some key steals, and they would go on to win the state title.  I guess I'd like to stick with tradition.
No offense here SCC, but if you go with tradition, there would be no 3 point shot, and look what that did, and do you or do you not think the shot clock has helped class A? Yes going for the last shot of the game, for overtime, u can take it down to the last second, and sometimes get lucky or execute just at the right time, but if u do that all game with a clock, your fg percentages would go lower, as opposed to having a shot clock where u take the first good shot opportunity.  With class B to me the only downfall is the descrepancy between a real good team and a real bad team could lead to 60-70 pt differentials.
magic715

Postby Ben23 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:11 pm

After playing in the Minnesota/ND shootout last year in Wahpeton i liked the 18 min halves alot better then the four 8 min quarters so i would rather play halves and i dont think that a shot clock would be all that bad
Ben23
NDPreps Starter

Postby Tigger » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:15 am

Can I vote for the new composite ball the NBA has because I love cows?  I don't think the Class B needs any changes.  If playing halves is so great, why has college experimented with going to quarters?  The DAC has added a timeout midway through the half if no timeout has been taken.  You could add the extra time but most of the time I'm sure it would just amount to garbage time anyway.  You could change the C squad and JV games to full 8 minute quarters if you want younger kids to get more playing time.  The shot clock would probably increase scoring a little overall, but it also has drawbacks.  Not everyone takes the air out of the ball in close game, and stalling is also used by teams when they have teams way down so the score doesn't get run up too much.  It could also lead to more bad shots being taken; the premier basketball players in Class A usually are focused on just their basketball game.  How many good Class B kids just play one sport?  I think too many people have gotten into trying to fix what ain't broken.  Class B basketball is fine.  Anyway, I've rambled on again.  Put those cows to their intended use.....hamburger meat. 
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys