3 classes??? AGAIN!!!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby B » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:48 am

Has anyone seen the latest proposal for the 3 class Basketball system?  Just looked at it yesterday.  Looks like it would help the Jamestowns and Valley City sized schools and I see all of the Private Schools would be in the middle division.

It seems like this isn't going to go away!!!!  It's been brought up enough times but it's been proven that a majority of ND wants it to stay the way it is. 

B

Postby rep » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:36 am

doesn't matter if the majority of the state wants something...if the ndhsaa wants it, that is all that really matters.
rep

Postby B » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:40 am

rep wrote:doesn't matter if the majority of the state wants something...if the ndhsaa wants it, that is all that really matters.

Yes I agree, some things seem to get "fixed" without ever being broken.
B

Postby Tigger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:48 am

What would be the point of 3 classes in basketball?  We'd have to go back to 2 in a decade anyway as the number of small schools dries up with consolidation anyway.  It would also take the "Cinderella" aspect out of the tournaments when a small school does make a run.  The playing field may not be level playing field with the private schools seeming to have an unfair advantage, but if Dickinson Trinity and Minot Ryan had any stones they'd elect to play Class A anyway the way Fargo Shanley does.  If anything needs to go to 3 classes, it is football.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby digger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:52 am

B wrote:Has anyone seen the latest proposal for the 3 class Basketball system?  Just looked at it yesterday.  Looks like it would help the Jamestowns and Valley City sized schools and I see all of the Private Schools would be in the middle division.

It seems like this isn't going to go away!!!!  It's been brought up enough times but it's been proven that a majority of ND wants it to stay the way it is. 

Does anyone know how these 3 class proposals keep rising from the ashes?  Is the NDHSAA obligated to look into anything that is brought before them, is there a member or members of the board who want this to happen and keep raising the issue?  Anyone have the inside scoop? 
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mags » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:01 pm

i think the 3 class thing would be rediculous. Football, yah numbers have to be fair. but basketball is the sport for the cinderella team. You have to love haveing team like dickinson trinity and minot ryan and the other schools who r so much more established then the little class b school. everyone juss loves to take them down. they love to be king. -its classic-
  what i think would be even better is if they stopped co-oping....now i know everyone is going to say that would be upserd and im not really serious but juss think about the college game can schools like boston albany and bew hampshire co-op to play duke to make things a little more fair? no of course they wouldnt do that. but yet every season there is giant killers someone like george mason. having an unfair advantage in numbers from school to school is what makes class b so exciting
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:20 pm

I have heard one possible thing that could happen would be to combine the middle and lower classes into one state tournament.  This way, the smaller schools could compete against one another throughout the year and then test themselves out agains the middle sized schools in the state tournament.  Would still have some element of cinderalla in it.  Not that I'm saying I am for it, but I think a lot of small schools hate playing the Beulahs, Hazens, Trinity's, Ryans, ETC every year.  I think everybody has a place in their heart for the state B, but look at what it has become lately....domintaed (for the most part) by larger schools.
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:24 pm

how has it become dominated by bigger schools?  did you guys forget about the Botno-New Rockford championship 2 years ago and then May-Port last year.  a school from a class A town wins it one year and it becomes dominated?  there are going to be schools who are good year after year, so because of that we need 3 classes? just stupid arguement if u ask me.

Maybe they should cut D-1 college down to 150 teams instead of 300 so San Diego State doesnt have to play Duke or Kentucky.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby mags » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:19 pm

baseball wrote:how has it become dominated by bigger schools?  did you guys forget about the Botno-New Rockford championship 2 years ago and then May-Port last year.  a school from a class A town wins it one year and it becomes dominated?  there are going to be schools who are good year after year, so because of that we need 3 classes? just stupid arguement if u ask me.

Maybe they should cut D-1 college down to 150 teams instead of 300 so San Diego State doesnt have to play Duke or Kentucky.
lovin it
mags
NDPreps Starter

Postby bbjay » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:07 pm

It hasn't been dominated by teams from class A towns....but towns like Botno, New Town, Larimore, Mayport, Kindred, Beulah and others have an advantage because of much much larger enrollments than smaller schools......I don't want 3 classes, I like the David Vs Golitah....plus, the D-1 point doesn't even make sense here, they can recruit...sensitive issue here!
75% of the time..it works every time.
bbjay
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:54 pm

just because a school has a large enrollment doesnt give them better athletes.  the enrollment is boys and girls combined, there are some school where girls out number boys by far and vise verca for girls basketball.

class b basketball is just getting that one class when great athletes who you work with from sophomore year to seniors and in the end they wil be great.  when they graduate you wait for the next class like that to come up.  the reason teams are good year after year is because the 3rd graders look up to the high schoolers and when they see them succeed it makes them want to practice and become successful like them.  and once they reach high school they will be just as good.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby magichoops » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:41 am

Bring back the North Star Conference. Include all private schools, large "B" schools, and the small "A" schools.
magichoops

Postby scruffy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:10 am

Welcome to the real world.  A couple of larger schools will be at every state tournament.  Those are the odds.  In class "A" the same thing happens.  Teams like Bismarck, Minot,  and Fargo schools always seem to dominate.  Should we start a another class for our biggest of the big?????
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:22 am

scruffy wrote:Welcome to the real world.  A couple of larger schools will be at every state tournament.  Those are the odds.  In class "A" the same thing happens.  Teams like Bismarck, Minot,  and Fargo schools always seem to dominate.  Should we start a another class for our biggest of the big?????

so you want to take teams away from class A.  half the teams already make the state tournament what good would it do to take half the teams away?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby magichoops » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Option 1
The New North Star (2 bids into the State "A")

West

1. Trinty
2. Ryan
3. Botno
4. Beulah
5. Shiloh
6. St. Mary's
7. TMHS
8. Trinty (Williston)
9. Our Redemers
10. Hazen

East

1. Oak Grove
2. Shanley
3. Grafton
4. Whop
5. Valley City
6. Devils Lake
7. Lisbon
Who am I missing?
Maybe go North/South to balance

This would make getting into the "A" a little tougher and remove the larger "B" and  schools that can recruit up. All of these schools would be within 100-125 students of each other top to bottom.

Option 2
Do away with the class system and do it like Indiana did for 100 years and they had bigger giants. 1 Champion...May the best school win.
magichoops

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:59 pm

A Three class system would not benefit anyone!  It would mean spending more money, it would also dismantle some districts and regions, it would cost more money to send a lower class team to the next closest lower class team!  These schools already have money problems  I am sure there would be a lot of randomly placed teams in the state.  That means a lot of travel time for some regions or districts.  I could see more co-ops in the future, but I don't think a three class system is needed.
Last edited by Indians Alumni on Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:10 pm

SCC wrote:Either leave it as is or change the enrollment cutoff to something lower than 425.

They just got to leave it alone!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cdub1 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:59 pm

magichoops wrote:Option 1
The New North Star (2 bids into the State "A")

West

1. Trinty
2. Ryan
3. Botno
4. Beulah
5. Shiloh
6. St. Mary's
7. TMHS
8. Trinty (Williston)
9. Our Redemers
10. Hazen

East

1. Oak Grove
2. Shanley
3. Grafton
4. Whop
5. Valley City
6. Devils Lake
7. Lisbon
Who am I missing?
Maybe go North/South to balance

This would make getting into the "A" a little tougher and remove the larger "B" and  schools that can recruit up. All of these schools would be within 100-125 students of each other top to bottom.

Option 2
Do away with the class system and do it like Indiana did for 100 years and they had bigger giants. 1 Champion...May the best school win.
devis lake in there they would crush everyone same with wahpeton and dickinson trinity

id rather die like a man than live like a coward becuz a coward dies a thousand deaths
cdub1
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby mdk23 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:34 pm

I am not from Valley City but I know adults and High School students from there. I am not saying this is what they want, but I think we can all agree they are tired of trying to compete with the Fargo and Bismarck schools. I think we have to face the fact that Valley City, because of its size, will rarely compete again. Why then should they not be put in a class with Carrington, Lisbon, Central Cass, and Oak Grove, etc? I am a huge fan of all that is Class B and I think that Class B is good as is, but I do think that the bigger B schools are getting better and the smaller A schools are getting worse. What I don't like, being from a B town is how easy it is for A teams to make a state tournament. You don't even have to have a winning record. And by going to 3 classes you would only make it easier. My solution? There isn't one, but it needs to be evaluated and that is what the NDSHSAA is doing. Heck, why not give it a try? If we don't, we'll never know.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." Michael Jordan
mdk23
NDPreps Starter

Postby magichoops » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:17 am

My new North Star  option wouldn't make it any easier for Class"A" teams to make it to State. If anything it would make it easier for Class"B" schools. This year Devils Lake would roll through this, but not every year. Ryan, Botno, Trinity, Grafton, and Wop are all original North Star schools if I remember correctly.
magichoops

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:12 am

Why not take all schools to state?  I think that is why people want to propose the thee class system.  So their team can get into state! 
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:20 am

Well heck lets just give every district in the state a class, every district winner is a state champion. LETS make EVERYTHING in high school sports EASY for everybody, lets not make a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP something that you need to WORK for. I think the teams that were named in that North Star is a joke. You wanna put Shiloh who doesn't have more then 100 kids 9-12 up against the likes of St Mary and TMHS that have 300-400 kids??? That makes a lot of sense. Keep it the way it is.
Last edited by ndfan on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 am

ndfan wrote:Well heck lets just give every district in the state a class, every district winner is a state champion. LETS make EVERYTHING in high school sports EASY for everybody, lets not make a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP something that you need to WORK for. I think the teams that were named in that North Star is a joke. You wanna put Shiloh who doesn't have more then 100 kids 9-12 up against the likes of St Mary and TMHS that have 300-400 kids??? That makes a lot of sense. Keep it the way it is.

AMEN!!!
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Hitter » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:39 pm

I don't think nd should go to three class system. Thats part of the reason why making the state tourney is such a big deal two classes is the way to go.
Big Hitter

Postby baseball » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:17 pm

if your going to make a change add more teams to class A, make the fact that gettin to that state tourney is actually something to be proud of.  but i still feel it should be left alone and make no changes.  no 3 classes, no shot clock, keep 4 quarters (and keep them 8 minutes).  the way its going right now it seems like they are gonna make a rule were teams cant press in class b so the weaker teams have a chance to play with the better teams.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys