2017 Lions All Star Game

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2017 Lions All Star Game

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Class A Boys:

Devils Lake: Jacob Mertens, Zach Dahlen
Fargo North: Siman Sem
Fargo Davies: Jake Paper, Matt Veit
Sheyenne: Carter Bonnema
Dickinson: Aanen Moody, Jordan Meidinger
Minot: KyJuan Johnson, Justin Engg
Bismarck Century: Lucas Mayer
Bismarck High: Solomon Garter
Alternates

Fargo Shanley: Jake Reinholz
West Fargo Sheyenne: Chase Erickson
Coaches:

Dean Winczewski: Minot
Darin Mattern: Bismarck Century
Class B Boys:

Hillsboro-Central Valley: Kyle Henningsgard
May-Port CG: Ian Chandler
North Star: Jayden Komrosky
Four Winds-Minnewaukan: Tronis McKay, Steve Redfox
Milnor-North Sargent: Jacob Hanson
Enderlin: Peter Lindgren
Northern Cass: Logan Nelson
Ellendale: Brennen Vance
Solen: Montel Carlow
Hazen: Wyatt Carr
Dickinson Trinity: Shawn Stoltz
Alternates:

Hillsboro-Central Valley: Austin Reed
Solen: Brayden Uses Arrow
Des Lacs-Burlington: Drew Pearson
Minot Ryan: Eli Stewart
South Heart: Zane Besler
Beulah: Reece Hoherz
Mott-Regent: Brady Wegh
Kenmare: Hunter Rodin
Parshall: Deyondre Simpson
Coaches:

Elliot Rotvold: Hillsboro-Central Valley
Rick Smith: Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2017 Lions All Star Game

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:23 pm

Kind of strange to see a 1st team All State selection not even as an alternate on the team.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 pm

The Schwab wrote:Kind of strange to see a 1st team All State selection not even as an alternate on the team.

AND THEY HAVE 9 ALTERNATES! So, according to the coaches, who do the voting on this, they believe one of the guys named as one of the top 5 players in class b basketball by the media IS NOT one of the top 21 seniors in ND!! No other words besides WOW. As an aside, I agree with the coaches far more than the media when it comes to player awards. I was shocked when the individual was named 1st team all state.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Could he have turned down the invitation?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:26 pm

For the Newbs like myself that don't want to look it up. Who are we talking about?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Player from FSHP. A lot of discussion about him on the all state team topics.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Flip wrote:For the Newbs like myself that don't want to look it up. Who are we talking about?

"Newb"???
Flip your definition is much different than mine. You are anything but a newb ;)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wem » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 pm

I've lost all faith in the way awards are given and the way they are voted on in both football and basketball. Its a popularity contest, and whoever is promoted the most by media and coaches of the players, get the awards.
I really don't care anymore, as I've learned what makes kids successful in sports and life is teamwork.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 am

wem wrote:I've lost all faith in the way awards are given and the way they are voted on in both football and basketball. Its a popularity contest, and whoever is promoted the most by media and coaches of the players, get the awards.
I really don't care anymore, as I've learned what makes kids successful in sports and life is teamwork.

Totally correct....it is amazing though how the ones who work very hard at it and pour their heart into it are actually aware of who should get the award....what is really really stupid is when peers think they wont catch it....on top of Popularity is social status and political correctness if you will
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 am

I have not been a part of the selection process for a long, long time, but when I was a part of it for the Girl's, I was absolutely amazed at how much politics played a part in the selection of the Lion's All-Star teams. (Can't have too many from any one Region, try and get players from all over the state to boost attendance, personal feelings towards a player, etc...)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classbman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am

Wow. Questions should be asked about this. No respect cause he wasn't on a winning team. Dude got hammered on all year. Double and triple teamed every game I saw. Finds a way to succeed. Hard worker. Total slap in the face.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lamontcranston » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:37 am

classbman wrote:Wow. Questions should be asked about this. No respect cause he wasn't on a winning team. Dude got hammered on all year. Double and triple teamed every game I saw. Finds a way to succeed. Hard worker. Total slap in the face.

Agreed
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:46 am

lamontcranston wrote:
classbman wrote:Wow. Questions should be asked about this. No respect cause he wasn't on a winning team. Dude got hammered on all year. Double and triple teamed every game I saw. Finds a way to succeed. Hard worker. Total slap in the face.

Agreed

Disagree, coaches are spot on here.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:06 pm

my posts on this thread have nothing to do with who should have been on any team....they are referenced to awards and such in general.....I also am not complaining....

some of the best of the best singers, actors, actresses, author, sports figures don't get an award
but they get a #1 hit, a box office smash hit, best seller, a Championship (team player) etc etc
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:18 pm

1. Can a player participate if they have had any kind of legal infractions?
2. Wonder if some players had already chose the Shrine football game?
3. Wonder how many were selected to play both?

Class A has a tough team this year. Should be fun games to watch.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wilbur » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

I agree that politics and political correctness play a big part in the selection of All-Star teams at the State, Region and especially LOCAL levels. I am a firm believer that if all five starters from one team are among the best 10-12 players in the district, conference or region, they should be selected to the team.
Instead, in this day and age, it seems that coaches are pressured to vote in a manner that every team is represented on the All-District or All-Conference teams. In smaller areas, I think that is not only a slap in the face of the players that deserve to be on the team that aren’t, but also embarrassing to the players who were put on the team because they were the best player on the worst team in the district or conference. It also takes away from deserving players who made the team, if the requirements aren’t necessarily getting the best players in the district on the team.
I have seen at least twice where the Region Senior Athlete of the Year did not get selected to the All-State team, but another senior from the same region did. (I will not reveal the names because I don’t intend to bash the players who won Senior Athlete). I understand that the coaches vote for the Senior Athlete of the Year, while the media picks the All-State team, but when the above happens, that has to be a slap in the face to the coaches at the district and region level. Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t think the media would get as much grief as the coaches.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Wilbur wrote:I have seen at least twice where the Region Senior Athlete of the Year did not get selected to the All-State team, but another senior from the same region did. (I will not reveal the names because I don’t intend to bash the players who won Senior Athlete).

That's not bashing a player, its stating a fact. It happened this year in girls. The media shouldn't feel obligated to vote for the senior athlete and the coaches shouldn't feel shame if the player they voted for doesn't end up all state. I'll spell her name wrong if I try to go off memory, but the girl from Carrington a few years back was senior athlete for class b and was not selected all state.

WRT the Brown kid, is it possible he was not nominated by the coaches in his region?

edit: grammar
Last edited by Flip on Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby wem » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:53 pm

Packer21, What are the coaches spot on about?
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:13 pm

wem wrote:Packer21, What are the coaches spot on about?

Region 2 representation
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby d_fense » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Wilbur wrote:I agree that politics and political correctness play a big part in the selection of All-Star teams at the State, Region and especially LOCAL levels. I am a firm believer that if all five starters from one team are among the best 10-12 players in the district, conference or region, they should be selected to the team.
Instead, in this day and age, it seems that coaches are pressured to vote in a manner that every team is represented on the All-District or All-Conference teams. In smaller areas, I think that is not only a slap in the face of the players that deserve to be on the team that aren’t, but also embarrassing to the players who were put on the team because they were the best player on the worst team in the district or conference. It also takes away from deserving players who made the team, if the requirements aren’t necessarily getting the best players in the district on the team.
I have seen at least twice where the Region Senior Athlete of the Year did not get selected to the All-State team, but another senior from the same region did. (I will not reveal the names because I don’t intend to bash the players who won Senior Athlete). I understand that the coaches vote for the Senior Athlete of the Year, while the media picks the All-State team, but when the above happens, that has to be a slap in the face to the coaches at the district and region level. Maybe I’m wrong, but I wouldn’t think the media would get as much grief as the coaches.

Wilber, I don't think the first section in bold would in any way be bashing a senior athlete of the year. I don't get why you would think that would be the case. In most cases people tend to agree with who wins senior athlete. If they don't agree, they are typically not shocked by who wins. And regarding the second bold section.... That is why some people are giving the media grief. They, the media, voted for a player not once but twice, that people consider not worthy of an all state mention.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:38 am

The reason I won’t name the players in the cases I am talking about is because I am sure this has happened on several occasions, and I would be essentially fingering just a couple of players who I would be telling that they did not deserve an award. Let’s not forget they were teenagers at the time, and it was not their fault (they didn’t vote for themselves). However, I feel in the cases of the two that I am talking about, and especially one of them, people were shocked that a certain player did not receive the Senior Athlete award, and their thoughts were affirmed by that player later being named to the All-State team, while the winner was not.
On the other hand, coaches in the region see the players on numerous occasions, while a lot of the members in the Statewide media may see a certain player on several occasions, or may not see any of the All-State candidates at all. For instance, the Fargo Forum sportswriters see a lot of Region 1 and 2 teams during the season, but probably don’t see any other region teams until the State Tournament. That may explain why a lot of players are named All-State based on their numbers alone. For that reason, I believe that it helps a player’s chances to named All-State if they are on a team that plays in the state tournament.
Anyway, I am not a coach or media member, so I can’t speak for either one of them. Don’t mean to open up a can of worms on this one, I just know there are instances when players don’t receive the awards we think they should, and other players are sometimes awarded when we feel they should not be. I know every case is different, and for the most part, the coaches and media get it right. I guess we could argue the process forever, and continue to agree to disagree. Just my opinion.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 am

Flip, I know who you are talking about. I watched her play when at the 2011 State Tournament, and was impressed by her play in those three games. She was a junior then. I guess I wasn’t shocked that she got Senior Athlete of the Year in 2012, but I was shocked that she wasn’t named to the All-State team. However, I was under the impression that the award went for a player’s career, and passed it off that she just didn’t have an impressive senior season. She had a teammate/classmate who I was also impressed with at the tournament, and I think she made the All-State team in 2012 (I could be wrong, though). They were co-MVP’s of the 2011 State Tournament.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 am

I know there was a lot said about the FSHP kid during the course of this season. I know he had some impressive numbers, but I never seen him play and I know nothing else about him. It would be interesting to know why he wasn’t selected the Lions All-Star game.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lamontcranston » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Unless you're present at the coaches or media meeting, you have no idea why things turned out as they did. There are politics in play at both levels.
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Class A Boys:

Devils Lake: Jacob Mertens, Zach Dahlen
Fargo North: Siman Sem
Fargo Davies: Jake Paper, Matt Veit
Sheyenne: Carter Bonnema
Dickinson: Aanen Moody, Jordan Meidinger
Minot: KyJuan Johnson, Justin Engg
Bismarck Century: Lucas Mayer
Bismarck High: Solomon Garter
Alternates

Fargo Shanley: Jake Reinholz
West Fargo Sheyenne: Chase Erickson
Coaches:

Dean Winczewski: Minot
Darin Mattern: Bismarck Century
Class B Boys:

Hillsboro-Central Valley: Kyle Henningsgard
May-Port CG: Ian Chandler
North Star: Jayden Komrosky
Four Winds-Minnewaukan: Tronis McKay, Steve Redfox
Milnor-North Sargent: Jacob Hanson
Enderlin: Peter Lindgren
Northern Cass: Logan Nelson
Ellendale: Brennen Vance
Solen: Montel Carlow
Hazen: Wyatt Carr
Dickinson Trinity: Shawn Stoltz
Alternates:

Hillsboro-Central Valley: Austin Reed
Solen: Brayden Uses Arrow
Des Lacs-Burlington: Drew Pearson
Minot Ryan: Eli Stewart
South Heart: Zane Besler
Beulah: Reece Hoherz
Mott-Regent: Brady Wegh
Kenmare: Hunter Rodin
Parshall: Deyondre Simpson
Coaches:

Elliot Rotvold: Hillsboro-Central Valley
Rick Smith: Four Winds-Minnewaukan

when do they play?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys