North Star Conference

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Star Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:47 pm

There has been some good discussion on another post about the old North Star Conference and it was suggested that we start a post dealing with the NS Conference so here it is!
I played in the North Star Conference (at the Varsity level) in 1980-81 and 1981-82. The teams I remember were Bottineau, Minot Ryan, Valley City, Rugby, Grafton, Langdon, Devils Lake, Harvey and Belcourt. Others thought Carrington and Cavalier and possible Park River were a part of it at one time, but I do not remember playing them in BB. Some of the better players from when I played were the Noah brothers (Minot Ryan), Neil Onarheim (Bottineau), Kurt Keplin (Belcourt), Paul Rust (?) (Harvey), Doyle Heisler and an O'Gorman (Devils Lake), Mike Jewitt and Tyler Larson (Valley City) Lance Anderson (Grafton) and I believe a Crockett (Langdon). Most of these teams are Class B now, but the North Star Conference was a very competitive conference, even though they usually struggled at the State Tournament most years.
I would enjoy hearing anyone anyone's memories of the North Star days and feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the names or forgot some one. (The memory ain't what it used to be!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: North Star Conference

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Sportsrube, thank you for starting the North Star Conference as its own post. The Class B Trivia turned into North Star Conference Trivia, and I understand I may have had a hand in that by asking some questions about the NS. Can’t wait to see some of the posts on here about the glory days of the North Star Conference.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:36 pm

Sportsrube wrote:There has been some good discussion on another post about the old North Star Conference and it was suggested that we start a post dealing with the NS Conference so here it is!
I played in the North Star Conference (at the Varsity level) in 1980-81 and 1981-82. The teams I remember were Bottineau, Minot Ryan, Valley City, Rugby, Grafton, Langdon, Devils Lake, Harvey and Belcourt. Others thought Carrington and Cavalier and possible Park River were a part of it at one time, but I do not remember playing them in BB. Some of the better players from when I played were the Noah brothers (Minot Ryan), Neil Onarheim (Bottineau), Kurt Keplin (Belcourt), Paul Rust (?) (Harvey), Doyle Heisler and an O'Gorman (Devils Lake), Mike Jewitt and Tyler Larson (Valley City) Lance Anderson (Grafton) and I believe a Crockett (Langdon). Most of these teams are Class B now, but the North Star Conference was a very competitive conference, even though they usually struggled at the State Tournament most years.
I would enjoy hearing anyone anyone's memories of the North Star days and feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of the names or forgot some one. (The memory ain't what it used to be!)

What years did Lance Anderson play for Grafton?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:00 pm

Sportsrube wrote:There has been some good discussion on another post about the old North Star Conference and it was suggested that we start a post dealing with the NS Conference so here it is!

Carrington's last year in class A was 1979, Cavalier's was 1978, Park River's was 1977.

They were all in the NorthEast Region in the 4 Region system in place at the time, but someone once told me that the Conferences like WDA, EDC still existed outside of the regions, so I don't know what would mean for the North Star.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Mandan wrote:

Carrington's last year in class A was 1979, Cavalier's was 1978, Park River's was 1977.

They were all in the NorthEast Region in the 4 Region system in place at the time, but someone once told me that the Conferences like WDA, EDC still existed outside of the regions, so I don't know what would mean for the North Star.

I was told NS was outside also
but then how did eight teams make up the State tourn?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:49 pm

winner-within wrote:

Graduated '82
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mandan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:57 pm

winner-within wrote:
Mandan wrote:

I was told NS was outside also
but then how did eight teams make up the State tourn?

Two teams from each region made the state tournament. But someone told me that regular season play was within the conferences. So kind of like Minnesota, I guess, where you have your regular season conference play but post-season is in the Sectionals. I don't like that kind of setup, but that is what it sounds like it used for be.
Last edited by Mandan on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:17 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Graduated '82

I remember hearing of him and of course Greg Feltman earlier yet I believe......it was a couple years later when Grafton made some noise at the State Class A and went 4 years in a row...

1984: Century, St. Mary's, Bismarck, Fargo South, Devils Lake, Wahpeton, West Fargo, Grafton
1985: Fargo North, Jamestown, Minot, Williston, Devils Lake, Grafton, St. Mary's, GF Red River
1986: Fargo South, Jamestown, Williston, GF Central, Minot, Grafton, Bishop Ryan, Dickinson
1987: Jamestown, Fargo South, West Fargo, Grafton, Dickinson, Bismarck, Devils Lake, Minot

I know 84-85 & 85-86 had Brian Hanson on those teams and Brian was a force on Defense and a very good all around baller...
watched him play also in Valley City at college along with Morlock, (1982 Munich ND graduate and transfer from UMCrookston which was a Jr. college then) and Jewitt was on that team also and so was Perry Whiteowl & Val Finley from Newtowns 1980 State Class B team that won it all....
Last edited by winner-within on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:20 am

winner-within wrote:

Lance graduated in 1982 and I know he played Varsity as a JR as well and probably as a Soph. but I am not sure about that. He was a very good player who played hard on both ends of the floor.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Lance graduated in 1982 and I know he played Varsity as a JR as well and probably as a Soph. but I am not sure about that. He was a very good player who played hard on both ends of the floor.

Did he play some College Ball?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:21 pm

What years did Lance Anderson play for Grafton?[/quote]

Lance graduated in 1982 and I know he played Varsity as a JR as well and probably as a Soph. but I am not sure about that. He was a very good player who played hard on both ends of the floor.[/quote]

Did he play some College Ball?[/quote]

My memory is failing - I don't remember if he did or not.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Sportsrube wrote:What years did Lance Anderson play for Grafton?

Lance graduated in 1982 and I know he played Varsity as a JR as well and probably as a Soph. but I am not sure about that. He was a very good player who played hard on both ends of the floor.[/quote]

Did he play some College Ball?[/quote]

My memory is failing - I don't remember if he did or not.[/quote]

Played 2 years at Lake Region then went on to MSU Northern? I believe. Ended up in an optometrist school, Pacific University?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby 47Wildcat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Speaking of the old days of the North Star (NE region), I seem to remember that games were played mostly on Friday and Saturday nights...but i might be wrong. I dont recall many games during the week like they do now. I suppose the travel distance would have been a reason for that.
47Wildcat
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:04 am

When I played in the North Star, a majority of the JV/V games were played on Friday and Saturday. Our freshmen and C squad team would often play against a Class B JV/V team on Tuesdays. The travel was not fun, in those old buses with little heat and cramped conditions, but still the North Star was a lot of fun when I played in it.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys