2017 ALL-STATE TEAMS

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2017 ALL-STATE TEAMS

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

FIRST TEAM
Tronis McKay, Four Winds-Minnewaukan (Sr.)
Logan Nelson, Northern Cass (Sr.)
Ethan Brown, Finley-Sharon-Hope-Page (Sr.)
Deyondre Simpson, Parshall (Sr.)
Shawn Stoltz, Dickinson Trinity (Sr.)

SECOND TEAM
Jake Hanson, Milnor-North Sargent (Sr.)
Cody Mauch, Hankinson (Sr.)
Kyle Henningsgard, Hillsboro-Central Valley (Sr.)
Brennen Vance, Ellendale (Sr.)
Steve Redfox, Four Winds-Minnewaukan (Sr.)
Jayden Komrosky, North Star (Sr.)
Drew Pearson, Des Lacs-Burlington (Sr.)
Hunter Rodin, Kenmare (Sr.)
Isaiah Kludt, Hettinger-Scranton (Jr.)
Wyatt Hanson, Stanley (Jr.)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: 2017 ALL-STATE TEAMS

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Media award. Every year good guys get left off, guys maybe less deserving make it, guys on 1st team that maybe should be on 2nd team, 2nd team on first, etc....this year, clearly no different. IMO Wyatt Hanson and Kyle Henninsgard were no doubter first teamers. Again, IMO - feel free to debate.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 pm

First team completely blows my mind. Media guys just can't admit when they are wrong. Guys who shouldn't be on the second team last year are in the first team this year. Henningsgaard should be a two time all stater and first team this year no brainer.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Interesting list, some good players on both teams, not sure if the 5 best players are 1st team members but the media has a tough job putting this list together
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Scheeby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 pm

This definitely has to be tough for the media, who don't see most of these players in person throughout the season. The trouble with Henningsgard is that his stats didn't pop out, but IMHO, he's a clear First-Teamer. If he played on the same team with any other of the all-staters (with the exception of Tronis) he'd be the alpha-dog. I only saw him at the State Tourney and he was every bit as good as advertised. Even when he was struggling in the title game he looked good doing it. Aside from that, it's tough to argue the list. Kludt is a very, very good player and a matchup nightmare, but I'm not certain he's top 15 in the state. I'm also not certain he's NOT. It's so debatable who's the second best player in R7 (Ferebee, Besler, Madler, Wegh, Jones). His skill set is unique, though. And if I'm a coach, I'd take him any day. Stoltz averages 24 and 12 and 5 blocks if he's on a team with less talent around him, so I think his spot is legit. If Hanson played all season like he did in March, maybe he should have been moved up. But Stanley did lose 7 games, many to upper mid-tier opponents. I get the vibe he really took off late in the season, and the team jumped on his back. Let's put it this way -- the Lions All-Star teams in both classes will be very talented this year. I'd also be interested to see if there's an honorable mention list. So many good players could pop up there...
Scheeby
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Scheeby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Not to mention Wyatt Carr's injury changes a lot of things.
Scheeby
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:20 am

I agree that Region 7 had multiple players that were probably in the conversation for this team. This season an argument could have been made for Wegh and Besler along with the two on there IMO. Shawn Stoltz is a very good player and I hope he plays at the next level. If I'm making a list of the best 15 players in class B basketball Isaiah Kludt is on that list, no question in my mind.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:50 am

The Schwab wrote:I agree that Region 7 had multiple players that were probably in the conversation for this team. This season an argument could have been made for Wegh and Besler along with the two on there IMO. Shawn Stoltz is a very good player and I hope he plays at the next level. If I'm making a list of the best 15 players in class B basketball Isaiah Kludt is on that list, no question in my mind.

What are his numbers/strengths/how did Hettinger/Scranton do Schwab? I've never got to see him play - thanks.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Scheeby » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I agree that Region 7 had multiple players that were probably in the conversation for this team. This season an argument could have been made for Wegh and Besler along with the two on there IMO. Shawn Stoltz is a very good player and I hope he plays at the next level. If I'm making a list of the best 15 players in class B basketball Isaiah Kludt is on that list, no question in my mind.

What are his numbers/strengths/how did Hettinger/Scranton do Schwab? I've never got to see him play - thanks.

They were the #4 seed in R7, and overacheived all year, IMO because of Kludt. They played with or even beat some good teams (Linton, Shiloh, Mott-Regent).
Scheeby
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 am

Hettinger Scranton was 16-6 lost first round to Mott Regent by 2. He's listed at 5'6" but he's probably 5'2". Everything you would want in a PG, probably the quickest guy in the state, great on ball defender. He was the only returning player who played significant minutes, averaged 17 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assists, 4 steals. I know people say this a lot but he makes everyone around him better. Without him HS probably is under .500
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:29 am

Scheeby wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

They were the #4 seed in R7, and overacheived all year, IMO because of Kludt. They played with or even beat some good teams (Linton, Shiloh, Mott-Regent).

They didn't play Shiloh this year, beat them the last two years
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:10 am

The 4 best individual players I saw play this year were hands down

Tronnes McKay
Logan Nelson
Ian Chandler
Wyatt Hanson

now I don't know how the vote goes but the best floor General I saw play was Kyle Henningsgard

there are many facets to the "best players" and when this is "All-State team" does "team player" and how well their respective team did come into the picture as far as the vote?
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Trish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:18 am

Don't know how Isiah Kludt is on this list. Nice player but not an all-stater.
Trish
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:42 am

Trish wrote:Don't know how Isiah Kludt is on this list. Nice player but not an all-stater.

What games did you see him play this season to help you make the statement?
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:58 am

If Shawn Stoltz is a first teamer than Luke Wertz from Ellendale deserves All State recognition.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Trish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am

Seen 2 in person and 4 or 5 on film.
Trish
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Howie » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 am

2 games you SAW in person were probably Linton and Strasburg right? Which game wasn't all state worthy? The 17 points 8 assists and 5 steals or the 24 points 8 assists and 4 steals. If you're going to call out a single player on the team he shouldn't be the one you pick. 17, 5, 5 and 4 while being the focal point of every single opponent is impressive
Howie
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am

Every year I do a list.

I did a 5 player 1st Team, a 10 player 2nd Team, and a 5 player Honorable Mention.

All that I had on my 1st Team got on somewhere. My 3 2nd Team who did not get on were Andrew Christianson, Kyler McGillis, and Jack Schaefer. All in all, my list of 20 had all 15 players who were selected. I think they did a nice job.

Not that it matters but I had the exact same list media came up with for Class A boys as well. Had 1 difference for Class A girls. I was correct on Class B girls 1st Team but not close on 2nd.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 am

winner-within wrote:The 4 best individual players I saw play this year were hands down

Tronnes McKay
Logan Nelson
Ian Chandler
Wyatt Hanson

now I don't know how the vote goes but the best floor General I saw play was Kyle Henningsgard

there are many facets to the "best players" and when this is "All-State team" does "team player" and how well their respective team did come into the picture as far as the vote?

Winner in surprised you didn the mention mcgillis he's a hidden gem, not a lot of ppl
Get to see his game.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:01 am

packers21 wrote:
winner-within wrote:The 4 best individual players I saw play this year were hands down

Tronnes McKay
Logan Nelson
Ian Chandler
Wyatt Hanson

Winner in surprised you didn the mention mcgillis he's a hidden gem, not a lot of ppl
Get to see his game.

I was just reading Balla's post and yes Kyler popped into my mind I was like Duh! yes for sure Kyler !!
Last edited by winner-within on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:02 am

Some things I have always looked at when considering these lists:

1. Does player play at high level night in and night out? Take plays off? Take games off?
2. Does player have ability to play multiple positions if needed? How versatile?
3. If not multiple positions, does said player dominate their designated position?
4. How good is the team they play on? Do they make the team better, team make them better or both?
5. Do they put up solid numbers night in and night out? Even if defenses concentrate on them? Meaning, assists go up shots go down, etc.
6. Career and off the court issues? Maybe shouldn't matter but they are student/athletes.

2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theallaroundballer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 am

I'm sorry but how does a player on a team that went 4-18 make 1st team? Of the other four, two made state, Parshall was fourth in the region, and NC was ranked in the top 5 most of the year. Heck, every player on the 2nd team won at least 16 games this year. Winning needs to matter when it comes to this; it's about more than putting up huge stats on a terrible team. But Tronis and Nelson are the only no-doubters in my mind anyway; Jake Hanson, Henningsgard, and Wyatt Hanson would've rounded out my five.
theallaroundballer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

theallaroundballer wrote:I'm sorry but how does a player on a team that went 4-18 make 1st team? Of the other four, two made state, Parshall was fourth in the region, and NC was ranked in the top 5 most of the year. Heck, every player on the 2nd team won at least 16 games this year. Winning needs to matter when it comes to this; it's about more than putting up huge stats on a terrible team. But Tronis and Nelson are the only no-doubters in my mind anyway; Jake Hanson, Henningsgard, and Wyatt Hanson would've rounded out my five.

I've been sayin that for for awhile. It's one thing if he was senior player of the year in the region but he wasn't and I don't think it was even close. Like I said on the girls thread if you put up big number (even against T he teams jvs) that's really the main thing. PPG!
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:41 pm

I would be interested to see the minutes played per game for these players too, which could explain some inflated numbers, and decreased numbers in some players (Like FWM, for example)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Was surprised Christianson from Oak Grove wasn't on this list - not that I thought he was a no doubter, just figured his location would get him the needed votes.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys