Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:Another question would be how many teams suffered their first loss of the season in the opening round at State. Again, off the top of my head, New Town (Hillsboro) in 1981, Beulah (Hillsboro) and Lankin-Adams (Glen Ullin) in 1984, Glen Ullin (Mayville-Portland) and Dunseith (Leeds) in 1987, Watford City (Munich) in 1992, Litchville-Marion-Montpelier (Minot Bishop Ryan) in 2000, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Dickinson Trinity) in 2004, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal (Mayville-Portland) in 2006, and Central Cass (Beulah) in 2012.


2010 - Oak Grove lost in double OT to Berthold in 1st Round of State Tournament for their first loss (lost 5th place game to Mandaree as well)
2011 - Oak Grove lost to New Town in 1st Round of State Tournament (battle of #1 vs. #2)...ended season with 1-loss.


LMM was undefeated coming into the 97 state tournament, but lost in the first round (can't remember who they played). Also lost in the consolation to Leeds before beating Rugby for 7th
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

LMM was also undefeated in '00 and lost to Ryan. IIRC Ryan was 13-11 coming into the state tournament, led by Jared Essler.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am

LMM was NOT undefeated entering the 1997 State Tournament. I don’t know what their record was, but I do know that they took third place in District 9, so they had at least one loss. 1997 District 9 Tournament: 1. Edgeley, 2. Gackle-Streeter 3. L-M-M 4. Medina-Cleveland.
Region V Tournament: Edgeley beat Linton; L-M-M beat Hazleton-Moffit-Braddock, Gackle-Streeter beat Wishek; Strasburg beat Medina-Cleveland. SF: L-M-M beat Edgeley; Strasburg beat Gackle-Streeter. L-M-M over Strasburg for the championship.

L-M-M was undefeated in 2000, but lost in the first round to Minot Ryan. They were ranked number one in the final poll, and Park River was number two. Park River also lost in the first round at State, but could someone verify if they were undefeated? I know I was looking forward to the two teams meeting in the semi-finals, but they ended up meeting in the consolation semi-finals, and Park River beat L-M-M. L-M-M finished 7th and ended the season with a 26-2 record.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 am

Wilbur wrote:LMM was NOT undefeated entering the 1997 State Tournament. I don’t know what their record was, but I do know that they took third place in District 9, so they had at least one loss. 1997 District 9 Tournament: 1. Edgeley, 2. Gackle-Streeter 3. L-M-M 4. Medina-Cleveland.
Region V Tournament: Edgeley beat Linton; L-M-M beat Hazleton-Moffit-Braddock, Gackle-Streeter beat Wishek; Strasburg beat Medina-Cleveland. SF: L-M-M beat Edgeley; Strasburg beat Gackle-Streeter. L-M-M over Strasburg for the championship.

L-M-M was undefeated in 2000, but lost in the first round to Minot Ryan. They were ranked number one in the final poll, and Park River was number two. Park River also lost in the first round at State, but could someone verify if they were undefeated? I know I was looking forward to the two teams meeting in the semi-finals, but they ended up meeting in the consolation semi-finals, and Park River beat L-M-M. L-M-M finished 7th and ended the season with a 26-2 record.


I must have been thinking about 2000 then. Got my years mixed up.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Forgot that Leeds was also undefeated in 1991, but lost to Steele-Dawson in the first round and finished 5th. Needed a halfcourt shot at the buzzer to beat Litchville in the consolation and barely held on to beat Westhope for 5th.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
User avatar
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3673
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am
Location: Central ND

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 pm

winnerwithin your talking about class A schools that had other towns mixed or combined together. How about now the Langdon/Edmore/Munich coop now. Since I was in school this coop and we go back to mid 60's here are schools that now make up this coop: Langdon, Osnabrock, Milton, Nekoma, Fairdale,Edmore, Hampden, Alsen, Munich, Border Central, Hannah, Parts of Rocklake, Part of Egeland, and ST. Alphonsus. How the times have changed if you would have added up all these high school enrollments say around mid 70's you would have had high school of 9 thru 12 about little over 900 hundred students I estimate. Today you would be less than 175. I think this year they had 18 kids out for basketball from high school or just hair over 20% of estimated boys. Then you go back to 70's with my estimations there would have been about 200 boys playing basketball and estimated at 44% of total boys. This is my perspective of how basketball has changed here in North Dakota.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 pm

When did we get the current format we have now where we have regions 7,5,3,1 on the south half of the state (west to east) and 8,6,4,2 on the north half?
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby scc » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:32 pm

Flip wrote:When did we get the current format we have now where we have regions 7,5,3,1 on the south half of the state (west to east) and 8,6,4,2 on the north half?

'93, if not earlier
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:17 am

scc wrote:'93, if not earlier

Well you both can't be right. Wilbur's post is referencing the '97 region tournament. That area of the state is now Region 3.

Wilbur wrote:Region V Tournament: Edgeley beat Linton; L-M-M beat Hazleton-Moffit-Braddock, Gackle-Streeter beat Wishek; Strasburg beat Medina-Cleveland. SF: L-M-M beat Edgeley; Strasburg beat Gackle-Streeter. L-M-M over Strasburg for the championship.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby scc » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:08 am

Flip wrote:
scc wrote:'93, if not earlier

Well you both can't be right. Wilbur's post is referencing the '97 region tournament. That area of the state is now Region 3.

Wilbur wrote:Region V Tournament: Edgeley beat Linton; L-M-M beat Hazleton-Moffit-Braddock, Gackle-Streeter beat Wishek; Strasburg beat Medina-Cleveland. SF: L-M-M beat Edgeley; Strasburg beat Gackle-Streeter. L-M-M over Strasburg for the championship.

Those teams were in Region 3 in 1997.
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Barfly » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:56 pm

How long has it been since there hasn't been a private school qualify for the class B state tournament ?
Barfly
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby The Schwab » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:53 pm

2009, before that 1997
The Schwab
User avatar
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3543
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:38 am
Location: The Peace Garden State

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Wilbur » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:41 pm

Region 5’s area changed to Region 3 before the 1999-2000 season, when the regions were changed to their current locations. Before that it was Region 1 (far southeast), Region 2 (far east central), Region 3 (northeast), Region 4 (north central to the east), Region 5 (south central from Missouri River east), Region 6 (north central to the west), Region 7 (northwest and west central) and Region 8 (southwest).
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Wilbur » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:52 pm

The 1997 Region V Tournament was exactly how I stated above. Those teams were in Districts 9 (east) and 10 (west). In 1999-2000, the districts were changed to 5 (east) and 6 (west), and the region to 3. It was Region V from sometime in the mid-70’s (1975 I believe) until 1999. There were four districts (17-20) in the region until 1989, and three districts (13-15) in the region from 1990-92. From 1993-99, there were two districts (9 & 10), and since 2000, there are two districts (5 and 6).
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:12 pm

Wilbur wrote:The 1997 Region V Tournament was exactly how I stated above. Those teams were in Districts 9 (east) and 10 (west). In 1999-2000, the districts were changed to 5 (east) and 6 (west), and the region to 3. It was Region V from sometime in the mid-70’s (1975 I believe) until 1999. There were four districts (17-20) in the region until 1989, and three districts (13-15) in the region from 1990-92. From 1993-99, there were two districts (9 & 10), and since 2000, there are two districts (5 and 6).


1997 Region 5 Tournament went as follows:
Strasburg def. Medina 61-52
Gackle-Streeter def. Lehr/Wishek 65-52
L-M-M def. H-M-B 79-65
Edgeley def. Linton 77-42

Strasburg def. Gackle-Streeter 58-54 F/OT
L-M-M def. Edgeley 65-62 F/OT

3rd Place: Edgeley def. Gackle-Streeter 61-50
Championship: L-M-M def. Strasburg 61-56

(Summer Plan...to have a website with all this information for BBB & GBB; A & B)
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14123
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:52 am

Wilbur wrote:The 1997 Region V Tournament was exactly how I stated above. Those teams were in Districts 9 (east) and 10 (west). In 1999-2000, the districts were changed to 5 (east) and 6 (west), and the region to 3. It was Region V from sometime in the mid-70’s (1975 I believe) until 1999. There were four districts (17-20) in the region until 1989, and three districts (13-15) in the region from 1990-92. From 1993-99, there were two districts (9 & 10), and since 2000, there are two districts (5 and 6).

This is good stuff. I don't even think you have this documented anywhere, it feels like you know it from memory.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 am

B-oldtimer wrote:winnerwithin your talking about class A schools that had other towns mixed or combined together. How about now the Langdon/Edmore/Munich coop now. Since I was in school this coop and we go back to mid 60's here are schools that now make up this coop: Langdon, Osnabrock, Milton, Nekoma, Fairdale,Edmore, Hampden, Alsen, Munich, Border Central, Hannah, Parts of Rocklake, Part of Egeland, and ST. Alphonsus. How the times have changed if you would have added up all these high school enrollments say around mid 70's you would have had high school of 9 thru 12 about little over 900 hundred students I estimate. Today you would be less than 175. I think this year they had 18 kids out for basketball from high school or just hair over 20% of estimated boys. Then you go back to 70's with my estimations there would have been about 200 boys playing basketball and estimated at 44% of total boys. This is my perspective of how basketball has changed here in North Dakota.


Yes Sir, my perspective also.....the one thing I can say is we cannot go away from the fact that North Dakota Class B basketball has always been directly related to "The Farm" it is simply a situation where Schools in the rural are tied directly to property and to agriculture, whether one wants to believe that or not.....I grew up on a 780 acre farm.... there were several less than a 1,000 acre farms in the area that you just described.....so plain and simple as the agriculture picture changed (and we knew it was coming) so did the public schools of ND.... many many towns lost their schools, lost their churches, lost their cafes, etc etc....there are more people in ND now than there was then but they are not offspring of the homesteaders or the folks who made up the prairie ......its the same reason for all the elementary schools and middle schools being built by the dozens in Fargo and Grand Forks and our other metro areas the rural population has been and is shrinking and the metros are filling up....sure there is a bit of an oil influx that has grew a few communities and caused a new school to be erected but thats minute in the scheme of things and that oil field is still surrounded by agriculture......we will never bring back the 70's, 80's or even 90's? (when you could really see the landscape of Class B changing)
I still believe a person can improve on what is the reality now.....sure the families are smaller and there are less kids but the big picture is there are less folks in each township and in each small town across the State.....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Flip wrote:anyone know the years Grafton was class A?

I see the Grafton girls went to state in Class A in '03.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Flip wrote:
Flip wrote:anyone know the years Grafton was class A?

I see the Grafton girls went to state in Class A in '03.


In 2004, Grafton was back in Class B...Not sure when their 'A' stint began.

Beulah was also in Class A starting in 1999 until 2006...then they moved back to Class B.
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores at yahoo
Follow ND HS Scores (NDScores) on Twitter
Find Scores/Schedules/Standings: http://www.northdakota-scores.net
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 14123
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:23 am

I don’t know how long the North Star Conference was part of Class A, but the teams that were in it in the 1980’s included Belcourt (Turtle Mountain), Bottineau, Devils Lake, Grafton, Harvey, Minot Ryan, Rugby and Valley City. The State Tournament consisted of the top 3 teams from the WDA and EDC, and the top two teams from the North Star. I don’t know how they were seeded at State. I think Bottineau, Harvey, Minot Ryan and Rugby were moved to Class B sometime in the early 1990’s. I don’t know when Grafton was moved to Class B, or if Belcourt was ever moved to Class B at all. Valley City was Class B for boys and girls basketball and volleyball for the 2009-10 season. Devils Lake has never been Class B since the North Star Conference was dissolved.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Langdon was part of the North star conference and it was there supt. that put North Star conference together from its beginning. Under that plan class A was divided up to East and West and then you had North Star conference made up smaller class A schools of that time. The East and West were given each 3 slots for the state tournament and North Star was given 2 spots for the state tournament. It was plan so that smaller class b schools got chance to participate in playing state tournament.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:15 pm

I meant the smaller Class A schools got chance to participate in state tournament.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Wilbur » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:34 pm

I wasn’t sure if Langdon was in the North Star Conference or not. They have been Class B at least since 1984-85.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Wilbur wrote:I wasn’t sure if Langdon was in the North Star Conference or not. They have been Class B at least since 1984-85.



thats the year they went Class B

The youngest Jordan (Hannah ND family) was a senior I believe and his oldest brother Charlie was the coach
5 boys if I'm not mistaken
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby winner-within » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

also, I'm almost certain Grafton floated to B then back back to A for a year or 2 in the midst of the total conversion, if I remember right....but otherwise always Class A
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

PreviousNext

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests