Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:06 pm

Wilbur wrote:
Flip wrote:
Baller wrote:I think Mike Forsberg won multiple with the Bottineau girls.

If we dip into girls I know Stewart at Ryan and Carey in Larimore have multiple titles. I'm sure there are plenty more.

Some others I can think of in Class B Girls are Bob Waldal of Beach, Len Stanley of Washburn and whoever Hope's coach was in the late 1970's-early 80's. This should be on the Girls site IMO. Gets too broad otherwise.

The Hope girls were coached by Linda Knutson when they won titles in '79 and '80. She also coached the Hope boys for a couple of years in the early 80's.

Interesting fact about the Hope girls: they appeared in 10 straight region title games from '78 to '87, losing six in a row from '81 to '86. Future UND standout Beth Ihry played on all six of those teams. So she played in six region championship games without making a state tournament appearance.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
B Historian wrote:
B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:New trivia questions:

This man coached three different Class B teams to state tournament appearances in the 60's and 70's. Who is he?

1976 LaMoure is widely regarded as one of the top teams in Class B history. However, LaMoure was not the top-ranked team coming into the state tournament that year (the Loboes were ranked 2nd). Who was #1 team in the final poll?

Hatton's Jim Howson won almost 600 games in his coaching career but never appeared in a state tournament. His team played in three region championship games but lost to the same school each time. Who was that team?

2. Lakota, although LaMoure had one more first place vote.

This is correct. Lakota was 26-0 going into the state tournament that season. This was Lakota's second straight trip to state, but from two different regions. They won Region 4 in '75 and Region 2 in '76.

Another team was ranked first in the state prior to Lakota, but lost in the first round of the district tournament for its only loss of the season. Can you name the team?

I'm interested in this one, but nobody has had an answer.

The answer is Scranton. They were 20-0 when they lost to Hettinger 54-50 in their first district game. They went on to finish third in the district with a 21-1 record.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:30 pm

What year in the 80's did only one ranked team make the state tournament?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:43 pm

B Historian wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
B Historian wrote:
B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:

This man coached three different Class B teams to state tournament appearances in the 60's and 70's. Who is he?

1976 LaMoure is widely regarded as one of the top teams in Class B history. However, LaMoure was not the top-ranked team coming into the state tournament that year (the Loboes were ranked 2nd). Who was #1 team in the final poll?

Hatton's Jim Howson won almost 600 games in his coaching career but never appeared in a state tournament. His team played in three region championship games but lost to the same school each time. Who was that team?

This is correct. Lakota was 26-0 going into the state tournament that season. This was Lakota's second straight trip to state, but from two different regions. They won Region 4 in '75 and Region 2 in '76.

Another team was ranked first in the state prior to Lakota, but lost in the first round of the district tournament for its only loss of the season. Can you name the team?

The answer is Scranton. They were 20-0 when they lost to Hettinger 54-50 in their first district game. They went on to finish third in the district with a 21-1 record.

Was Mott also really solid this year? I've heard a story about when both Mott and Scranton were ranked in the state polls they played a game in Mott, they let the Mott fans in the back door and by the time the Scranton fans got in the gym was full!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm

B Historian wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
B Historian wrote:
B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:

Fun Fact about the 1975-76 school year for the Miners. Their girls basketball team lost the first game of the regionals to St. Gertrudes to finish with a 16-3 record. I would assume that a combined 37 and 4 record with neither team playing in the regional semi finals has to be some sort of record!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:57 pm

B Historian wrote:
CoachM wrote:
CoachM wrote:The founder of the Enchanted Highway (Gary Greff) was also a basketball coach at one time. What teams did he coach and did he ever make it to the state tournament?

If my memory serves me correctly. He coached with Mr. Beyer in Hillsboro and then went on to become the Head Coach in Lakota. I think they went to state during his tenure.

Duane Schwab was the head coach at Lakota in '75 and '76 when they went to state.

What all-state player transferred to Lakota prior to the '76 season?

The answer to this question is Randy Helling. He averaged 34 points per game for Michigan in '75 before transferring to Lakota in "76 where he averaged 25 points per game. Randy was the older brother of former MLB pitcher Rick Helling. Randy was tragically killed in a car accident with a drunk driver in the early 80's.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm

The Schwab wrote:
B Historian wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
B Historian wrote:
B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:

Was Mott also really solid this year? I've heard a story about when both Mott and Scranton were ranked in the state polls they played a game in Mott, they let the Mott fans in the back door and by the time the Scranton fans got in the gym was full!

Yes, Mott was very good that year. They went 26-4, winning the R8 title and finishing 5th in the state tournament. Mott lost 51-49 that year to Scranton during the regular season. Even at the state tournament Coach Julson from Mott said that Scranton was the best team in the region that year because Mott had played their best game against Scranton and still lost.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:21 pm

The Schwab wrote:
B Historian wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
B Historian wrote:
B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:

Fun Fact about the 1975-76 school year for the Miners. Their girls basketball team lost the first game of the regionals to St. Gertrudes to finish with a 16-3 record. I would assume that a combined 37 and 4 record with neither team playing in the regional semi finals has to be some sort of record!

Very interesting. I don't have as much info on the girls side, but I think it's highly likely that what Scranton did that year would be a record.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:00 pm

B Historian wrote:What year in the 80's did only one ranked team make the state tournament?

Let's narrow this down. For sure it is NOT 1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987 or 1988. That leaves 1982, 1986 and 1989.
1986--I believe Newburg and Hillsboro were ranked at least.
1989--I think Newburg and Beulah were ranked at least..
That leaves 1982. That is my guess. Side note: of all the state tournaments of the 1980's, this was the one where I watched only two games. One on opening day and the championship, so I don't even remember who all the teams were.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 am

scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:What year in the 80's did only one ranked team make the state tournament?

1982 - Divide County was ranked #10 and won it all.

and they beat Edmore (edmore wasn't ranked?) for the title in Fargo (before the Dome, wasn't there very often back then) I was there... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:58 am

winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:

and they beat Edmore (edmore wasn't ranked?) for the title in Fargo (before the Dome, wasn't there very often back then) I was there... :)

Yes. Was at NDSU Fieldhouse. Again in 1987, and then not in Fargo again until 1997 ( the first year they used the dome for State Class B). The B was at Bismarck Civic Center 11 times from 1974-85, and then played in MSU Dome for the first time in 1986. I was at MSU that year and went to every game the first day and the night sessions after that. Championship night was a packed house. Fun tournament to be at.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:10 pm

winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:

1982 is the correct year. Edmore was RV in the final poll but not in it.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 pm

There have been two different years in Class B history where three teams from the same region were ranked 1, 2, and 3 in the final Class B poll. Can you name the years and the teams?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm

B Historian wrote:
winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:

do you have a list of the top 10?
DC being #10 which was Stated....

thats a crazy outcome of a season.....even being from that era, I did not know this....although Polls were not thrown out as much back then or lets say as easy to find.....I'm assuming a couple of the top 9 didn't even make Regions?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Cando had Todd Trudell...I think Munich beat them in Regions (was there) ....Trudell was something else!
Munich was sitting good also....more rounded with Greg Morlock and Joe Martin
and then Edmore beat Munich...Edmore too was well rounded, Fredje, Mark Mellen, Rishvy....was post Vigor (81') I thing though

Hills and NT had already kind of had their runs prior to 82'

and Linton was coming on right around the corner....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm

scc wrote:
winner-within wrote:
B Historian wrote:
winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:

thats a crazy outcome of a season.....even being from that era, I did not know this....although Polls were not thrown out as much back then or lets say as easy to find.....I'm assuming a couple of the top 9 didn't even make Regions?

1. Cando
2. Parshall
3. Hillsboro
4. Oakes
5. New Town
6. Munich
7. Max
8. Hope
9. Mott
10. Divide County
Others: Edmore, Hettinger, Oak Grove, Garrison, Strasburg, Sheldon, Reeder, Hazen

Cando had Todd Trudell...I think Munich beat them in Regions ??(was there., but not positive) ....Trudell was something else!
and then Edmore beat Munich??...Edmore too was well rounded, Fredje, Mark Mellen, Rishvy....was post Vigor (81') I thing though

and Linton was coming on right around the corner...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:00 pm

1. Cando
2. Parshall
3. Hillsboro
4. Oakes
5. New Town
6. Munich
7. Max
8. Hope
9. Mott
10. Divide County
Others: Edmore, Hettinger, Oak Grove, Garrison, Strasburg, Sheldon, Reeder, Hazen

Cando had Todd Trudell...I think Munich beat them in Regions (was there) ....Trudell was something else!
and then Edmore beat Munich...Edmore too was well rounded, Fredje, Mark Mellen, Rishvy....was post Vigor (81') I thing though

You mentioned Linton coming around the corner. That was actually the first season that Dan Carr (ND's all-time victory leader) took over for Del Kessler at Linton. Strasburg had a veteran team that crushed Linton during the regular season and beat Linton in overtime in the District final. Steele-Dawson beat Linton in the region semi-finals, and then rallied from a 14-point deficit in the second half to beat Strasburg, 62-59, in the region championship.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:52 pm

scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:There have been two different years in Class B history where three teams from the same region were ranked 1, 2, and 3 in the final Class B poll. Can you name the years and the teams?

You'd have to go back to the era of 32 districts, when teams within a region didn't necessarily play each other.
1977 - Hillsboro, Devils Lake St. Mary's, Larimore

As soon as I saw the teams I knew this was the Epping/Hillsboro year as I remember during the PBS documentary they mentioned how stacked Hillsboro's region was.

Any background on Devils Lake St. Mary's, the school?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:24 pm

SCC, Bishop Ryan, Mohall and Grenora was 1993-94. I think that was the first year Ryan came down to Class B.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Wilbur wrote:SCC, Bishop Ryan, Mohall and Grenora was 1993-94. I think that was the first year Ryan came down to Class B.

Ryan's first year in class b was 91-92.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:51 pm

scc wrote:
scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:There have been two different years in Class B history where three teams from the same region were ranked 1, 2, and 3 in the final Class B poll. Can you name the years and the teams?

You'd have to go back to the era of 32 districts, when teams within a region didn't necessarily play each other.
1977 - Hillsboro, Devils Lake St. Mary's, Larimore

1994 - Bishop Ryan, Mohall, Grenora

Great job, you definitely know your stuff!
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:57 pm

winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:
winner-within wrote:
B Historian wrote:
winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:

1. Cando
2. Parshall
3. Hillsboro
4. Oakes
5. New Town
6. Munich
7. Max
8. Hope
9. Mott
10. Divide County

Cando had Todd Trudell...I think Munich beat them in Regions ??(was there., but not positive) ....Trudell was something else!
and then Edmore beat Munich??...Edmore too was well rounded, Fredje, Mark Mellen, Rishvy....was post Vigor (81') I thing though

Cando finished the regular season as the only unbeaten team in the state. They lost 57-53 to Rolette in the D8 final and then 57-56 to Edmore in the first round of R3. Trudell had 29 points in that game. Edmore went on to beat Munich 50-39 in the region final.

Interesting side note: the region final game from that year and several state tournament games can be found on youtube.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:31 pm

scc wrote:
winner-within wrote:
B Historian wrote:
winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:

1. Cando
2. Parshall
3. Hillsboro
4. Oakes
5. New Town
6. Munich
7. Max
8. Hope
9. Mott
10. Divide County

1. Cando: covered in my other post.
2. Parshall: lost 51-48 to Divide County in R7 final. Parshall had handed DC its only defeat earlier in the year.
3. Hillsboro: lost 33-31 to Mayville Portland in D5 semifinal. Despite having a 17-1 regular season record Hillsboro drew the #2 seed in the district because of a loss to Hope in the regular season. That loss ended a 40-game winning streak. The Burros finished 18-2 and didn't make the region tournament.
4. Oakes: lost 59-53 to Hankinson in R1 semifinals. Finished the season 21-2
5. New Town: lost to Parshall by 2 in district championship and lost 53-45 to Divide County in first round of regionals. Finished 19-4
6. Munich: Lost to Edmore in district and region finals. Finished 20-4
7. Max: Lost to Des Lacs-Burlington 71-64 in R6 final. Finished 21-3
8. Hope: Lost to Crary 54-48 in R2 semis. Finished 21-2
9. Mott: Lost to Hettinger 60-45 in D32 final and then Flasher in R8 first round. Finished 17-4.
10. Divide County: won state with a 25-1 record.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Which school beat an opponent four times heading into the state tournament but lost in the championship game when they played for a fifth time?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:44 pm

B Historian wrote:Which school beat an opponent four times heading into the state tournament but lost in the championship game when they played for a fifth time?

Wow! Going to have to guess it's teams within a close proximity to one another...going to just throw out a year of that potentially happening; 1962?

Many of these questions were before my life began ;)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys