Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:Which school beat an opponent four times heading into the state tournament but lost in the championship game when they played for a fifth time?

Wow! Going to have to guess it's teams within a close proximity to one another...going to just throw out a year of that potentially happening; 1962?

Many of these questions were before my life began ;)

1962 is a good guess, but not correct.

Many of these questions are from before my time as well!
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm

B Historian wrote:
scc wrote:
winner-within wrote:
B Historian wrote:
winner-within wrote:
scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:What year in the 80's did only one ranked team make the state tournament?

1982 - Divide County was ranked #10 and won it all.

and they beat Edmore (edmore wasn't ranked?) for the title in Fargo (before the Dome, wasn't there very often back then) I was there... :)

1982 is the correct year. Edmore was RV in the final poll but not in it.

do you have a list of the top 10?
DC being #10 which was Stated....

thats a crazy outcome of a season.....even being from that era, I did not know this....although Polls were not thrown out as much back then or lets say as easy to find.....I'm assuming a couple of the top 9 didn't even make Regions?

1. Cando
2. Parshall
3. Hillsboro
4. Oakes
5. New Town
6. Munich
7. Max
8. Hope
9. Mott
10. Divide County
Others: Edmore, Hettinger, Oak Grove, Garrison, Strasburg, Sheldon, Reeder, Hazen

1. Cando: covered in my other post.
2. Parshall: lost 51-48 to Divide County in R7 final. Parshall had handed DC its only defeat earlier in the year.
3. Hillsboro: lost 33-31 to Mayville Portland in D5 semifinal. Despite having a 17-1 regular season record Hillsboro drew the #2 seed in the district because of a loss to Hope in the regular season. That loss ended a 40-game winning streak. The Burros finished 18-2 and didn't make the region tournament.
4. Oakes: lost 59-53 to Hankinson in R1 semifinals. Finished the season 21-2
5. New Town: lost to Parshall by 2 in district championship and lost 53-45 to Divide County in first round of regionals. Finished 19-4
6. Munich: Lost to Edmore in district and region finals. Finished 20-4
7. Max: Lost to Des Lacs-Burlington 71-64 in R6 final. Finished 21-3
8. Hope: Lost to Crary 54-48 in R2 semis. Finished 21-2
9. Mott: Lost to Hettinger 60-45 in D32 final and then Flasher in R8 first round. Finished 17-4.
10. Divide County: won state with a 25-1 record.

What were the records and finishes of the teams receiving votes in that final poll? And the records of the teams that made it to state?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:15 pm

B Historian wrote:Which school beat an opponent four times heading into the state tournament but lost in the championship game when they played for a fifth time?

It's hard to beat a good team 5 times in a row.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Flip wrote:

Total guess here
Rolla over Bottineau in 1960 state title.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Is playing the same team 5 times in a season a record?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 pm

State Tournament:

1. Divide County 25-1
2. Edmore 23-4
3. McVille 23-4
4. Steele 20-8
5. Fairmount 22-4
6. Des Lacs- Burlington 20-7
7/8. Center 20-6
7/8. Anamoose 20-6

Strasburg 22-3 2nd in R5
Hettinger 20-4 3rd in R8, lost 27-26 to Center in semis
Reeder 17-4 3rd in District, lost 53-49 to Hettinger in semis
Garrison 16-6
Oak Grove and Hazen lost in the first round of their region tournament. Sheldon got 3rd in D2, losing to Richland 67-64 in the semifinals.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:39 pm

BB11 wrote:
Flip wrote:

Total guess here
Rolla over Bottineau in 1960 state title.

Correct! Bottineau beat Rolla twice in the regular season and in the District and Regional championship games. At that time two teams from each region made the state field so they met again in the state title game with Rolla winning 69-50. That loss ended a 40 game winning streak for Bottineau. They had won the 1959 state title and they were 30-0 coming into the 1960 championship game.

Bonus trivia: What Class B coach that accumulated over 500 career wins played on that Rolla team?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 pm

Jim Howson was the player on Rolla's team
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:52 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Jim Howson was the player on Rolla's team

You are correct. It's ironic he never made it to state as a coach.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:55 pm

Flip wrote:Is playing the same team 5 times in a season a record?

It would be hard to imagine many other scenarios where two teams played five times in a season.

I do know of one instance in the 80's where a team lost four games all season and the losses were all to the same team. Anyone know who this team was?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:36 am

I think the 1989 Bisbee-Egeland team has some good trivia. Lost to Rolla I believe like 3 times. Twice in regular season and once in district championship then beat them in Region Chanpionhsip, not uncommon I know. Also I think they had like 8 or 9 losses and won the whole thing? So what team that’s won state has had the most losses? (I don’t know that answer)
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 am

I would think Milnor from a few years ago would have to be close.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:30 am

The Schwab wrote:I would think Milnor from a few years ago would have to be close.

Milnor was 22-6
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I would think Milnor from a few years ago would have to be close.

Milnor was 22-6

never mind I guess, I thought I remembered them having more losses.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:50 am

woodchuck10 wrote:I think the 1989 Bisbee-Egeland team has some good trivia. Lost to Rolla I believe like 3 times. Twice in regular season and once in district championship then beat them in Region Chanpionhsip, not uncommon I know. Also I think they had like 8 or 9 losses and won the whole thing? So what team that’s won state has had the most losses? (I don’t know that answer)

not sure on a team that won it but I'm sure some team has had close to 10 losses and still won it all....

1998: Standing Rock, Leeds, MPCG, Des Lacs-Burlington, Beulah, Lisbon, Bottineau, Shiloh Christian

If I remember right I think it was this year when a Kid had been out most of the season then came back and they won Regions and he made a big splash at State....correct me if I'm wrong!

he played for DLB I believe, and they had like a 500 record coming in?....he was a tall lanky slasher and shooter....sorta like a Wyatt Hanson type player
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 am

winner-within wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:I think the 1989 Bisbee-Egeland team has some good trivia. Lost to Rolla I believe like 3 times. Twice in regular season and once in district championship then beat them in Region Chanpionhsip, not uncommon I know. Also I think they had like 8 or 9 losses and won the whole thing? So what team that’s won state has had the most losses? (I don’t know that answer)

not sure on a team that won it but I'm sure some team has had close to 10 losses and still won it all....

1998: Standing Rock, Leeds, MPCG, Des Lacs-Burlington, Beulah, Lisbon, Bottineau, Shiloh Christian

If I remember right I think it was this year when a Kid had been out most of the season then came back and they won Regions and he made a big splash at State....correct me if I'm wrong!

he played for DLB I believe, and they had like a 500 record coming in?....he was a tall lanky slasher and shooter....sorta like a Wyatt Hanson type player

I think you may be thinking of Berthold in the early 00's. I believe they had about a .500 record coming in to state and finished runner up. I think the same may have happened with Minot Ryan in 2000 or so.

In 1998, I believe DLB and Botno were each 17-8 and met in the first round of the tourney.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I think you may be thinking of Berthold in the early 00's. I believe they had about a .500 record coming in to state and finished runner up. I think the same may have happened with Minot Ryan in 2000 or so.

In 1998, I believe DLB and Botno were each 17-8 and met in the first round of the tourney.

It was the Grant kid from Berthold, was out for a violating rules basically the entire year. I think they had a losing record coming into state lost a buzzer beater to treadu from MPCG. If I remember correctly.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:21 pm

packers21 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

It was the Grant kid from Berthold, was out for a violating rules basically the entire year. I think they had a losing record coming into state lost a buzzer beater to treadu from MPCG. If I remember correctly.

You Bet....Berthold!...he was a player

2002: MPCG, Berthold, Strasburg, Wells County, Dickinson Trinity, Kindred, Mandaree, Standing Rock
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:58 pm

I think Berthold was 14-12 coming into the 2002 State Tournament. They had to win a play-in game to get into the District Tournament. The title game was 35-33 but can't remember it being a buzzer beater, but I think Berthold took a shot to tie it in the closing seconds that missed. I remember Berthold had a freshman guard who I was impressed with, along with Grant and another frontliner whose names I can't recall right now. Think last name started with an "R".
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:40 pm

some very good historians on here....thanks for the trips back in time...
does anybody know "School with smallest enrollment 9-12" who made it to State in the last

10 yrs
20 yrs
30 yrs
?

I know if I asked the largest it wouldn't take long... :lol:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Flip wrote:
scc wrote:
B Historian wrote:There have been two different years in Class B history where three teams from the same region were ranked 1, 2, and 3 in the final Class B poll. Can you name the years and the teams?

You'd have to go back to the era of 32 districts, when teams within a region didn't necessarily play each other.
1977 - Hillsboro, Devils Lake St. Mary's, Larimore

As soon as I saw the teams I knew this was the Epping/Hillsboro year as I remember during the PBS documentary they mentioned how stacked Hillsboro's region was.

Any background on Devils Lake St. Mary's, the school?

Devils Lake St. Mary's closed after the 1979 school year. They made the region tournament in both '76 and '77, losing to Hillsboro both times. They finished 24-2 in 1977, finishing fourth in the region. Mark Brenner was their star player and he was first team all-state that year.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Bisbee Egeland finished 20-7 that year, with losses to Border Central, Cando, Munich, Rolla, Rolette, Minnewaukan and Langdon. The losses to Minnewauken and Langdon were in the final two regular season games, so its not like they came into the tournaments on a roll. They actually went 3-1 against Rolla that year, beating them in the district and region championship games. Bisbee-Egeland had an enrollment of just 50 in 1989.

Poorest records to win the state title since 1970:

Bisbee-Egeland 20-7
Mayville-Portland 21-6 (1972)
Milnor 22-6 (2013)
Sargent Central 25-5 (1979)

Sargent Central lost three times to Hankinson that year, but ended up not having to face them a fourth time in the region tournament.
Last edited by B Historian on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm

winner-within wrote:some very good historians on here....thanks for the trips back in time...
does anybody know "School with smallest enrollment 9-12" who made it to State in the last

10 yrs
20 yrs
30 yrs
?

I know if I asked the largest it wouldn't take long... :lol:

Reeder had 34 students in 1990 and '91. Rhame had 41 in 1995.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:13 pm

B Historian wrote:
Flip wrote:Is playing the same team 5 times in a season a record?

It would be hard to imagine many other scenarios where two teams played five times in a season.

I do know of one instance in the 80's where a team lost four games all season and the losses were all to the same team. Anyone know who this team was?

Yes - the Westhope Sioux lost to Newburg 4 times in either 84 or 85 - I want to say 85. They went 21-4 that year - all losses to Newburg.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:15 pm

You answered your own question - Bisbee-Egeland is the team with the most losses to ever win the state championship with 7. Many teams have made the title game with double digit losses - like Ryan in 2000 and Berthold two years later - but none have ever won it. Bisbee-Egeland has that distinction.
BB11
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys