Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B Historian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:54 pm

skman wrote:Who coached both a girls and boys team to the state championship game in the same school year?

Barry Haggin- Divide County 1981 girls lost to Rolla

Boys 1982 beat Edmore in title game.

He was probably one of the best coaches ever in Class B B.B.

I agree that Barry was an excellent coach. His teams always peaked at tournament time and and he was great about adapting to the talent that he had in a given year. Who can forget that 1988 region title game when the Maroons took down unbeaten Ray on a last second shot?
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:06 pm

Wilbur wrote:
skman wrote:Who coached both a girls and boys team to the state championship game in the same school year?

Barry Haggin- Divide County 1981 girls lost to Rolla

Boys 1982 beat Edmore in title game.

He was probably one of the best coaches ever in Class B B.B.

Wasn't Greg Lemke the coach for both Minot Ryan Girls and boys basketball in 1993-94?

Great call. I had totally forgotten about Coach Limke winning the girls title as well that year. For some reason I had it in my mind that the girls had won in the fall of '94.

Curt Herman from Dakota Prairie also coached both the girls and boys teams to state that season.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Highest seed to win a district tournament?
Highest district seed to win a region tournament?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:07 am

Flip wrote:Highest seed to win a district tournament?

I know of a couple 8 seeds that won district tournaments on the girls side
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:29 am

I would guess most recently would be Berthold, I know Linton won the district this year and had a losing record.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Flip wrote:Highest seed to win a district tournament?

I believe the answer to both of these questions would be Berthold in 2002, which was seeded 8th coming into the district tournament.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:43 pm

How many teams seeded last in the district (no matter the number of teams) won their district?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby birthday » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16 pm

packers21 wrote:I would guess most recently would be Berthold, I know Linton won the district this year and had a losing record.

Linton was the number 1 seed but took 3rd in district tournament
birthday
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:01 pm

birthday wrote:
packers21 wrote:I would guess most recently would be Berthold, I know Linton won the district this year and had a losing record.

My bad, still had a 8-14 record. I think that’s only Carr’s second losing season as a HC.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps All-State

Postby B Historian » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:53 pm

1. 1974 was the first year the state tournament was held in the Bismarck Civic Center. Prior to 1974, how many years did Bismarck host the tournament?

2. Which team lost 5 games in one season to teams that won a state championship?

3. Who scored 72 points in a game in 1976?
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:41 am

B Historian wrote:1. 1974 was the first year the state tournament was held in the Bismarck Civic Center. Prior to 1974, how many years did Bismarck host the tournament?

2. Which team lost 5 games in one season to teams that won a state championship?

3. I know he was from Robinson, but not sure if it was Trautman or Harrington. I would say Trautman.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 am

packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:

My bad, still had a 8-14 record. I think that’s only Carr’s second losing season as a HC.

Technically it was Dan Carr's first losing season as head coach. Linton was 12-13 in 2006 but Carr did not coach in the final game (family death) which was a loss in the region 3rd place game. This year was the first time one of Carr's teams did not win at least 12 games in a season.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:03 am

Wilbur wrote:
B Historian wrote:1. 1974 was the first year the state tournament was held in the Bismarck Civic Center. Prior to 1974, how many years did Bismarck host the tournament?

3. I know he was from Robinson, but not sure if it was Trautman or Harrington. I would say Trautman.

It was Steve Harrington. He scored 72 in a 98-40 win over Cleveland. Robinson played in the state tournament that year as well.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 am

B Historian wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

It was Steve Harrington. He scored 72 in a 98-40 win over Cleveland. Robinson played in the state tournament that year as well.

Napoleon was unbeaten in the regular season in 1976 and beat Robinson by 26 points late in the year. Robinson took 2nd in their district tournament and beat Napoleon by 16 in the region first round. I remember Robinson had some outstanding perimeter shooters and it would have been fun to watch them in the era of the 3-pointer.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:50 am

Wilbur wrote:
packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:

Technically it was Dan Carr's first losing season as head coach. Linton was 12-13 in 2006 but Carr did not coach in the final game (family death) which was a loss in the region 3rd place game. This year was the first time one of Carr's teams did not win at least 12 games in a season.

Did he have a losing season in Minnesota?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Wilbur wrote:
packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:

I don't know the answer to that. All I know is he had a 36-24 record in 3 seasons at Belgrade, MN before he went to Linton.
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby Wilbur » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Question1: Without doing any research, I am going regard this as a trick question and say Bismarck NEVER hosted the State B before 1974.

Question 2: I don't have the faintest idea, but I would guess it was a team that played both the Class B champion multiple times, along with the Class A champion and at least one champion from another state (more than likely Minnesota or SD. If I could narrow it to a region, I would say it was a team from either Region 1 or Region 2 (more than likely Region 2).
Wilbur
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Wilbur wrote:

Question1: Without doing any research, I am going regard this as a trick question and say Bismarck NEVER hosted the State B before 1974.

Question 2: I don't have the faintest idea, but I would guess it was a team that played both the Class B champion multiple times, along with the Class A champion and at least one champion from another state (more than likely Minnesota or SD. If I could narrow it to a region, I would say it was a team from either Region 1 or Region 2 (more than likely Region 2).

My guess to #2 is it had to be between 1948-50. A team could have lost to the Consolidated League champion, the Class C champion, and the Class B champion in one season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Wilbur wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Wilbur wrote:
packers21 wrote:
birthday wrote:

I don't know the answer to that. All I know is he had a 36-24 record in 3 seasons at Belgrade, MN before he went to Linton.

I don't believe he had a losing season at Belgrade, although I don't know the individual season records.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:55 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

My guess to #2 is it had to be between 1948-50. A team could have lost to the Consolidated League champion, the Class C champion, and the Class B champion in one season.

I'll say it was a town from the southeast, who lost to a mn state champion (maybe even multiple classes of them), SD champion and ND champion (maybe 3 times if they were in the same district).

I don't think it could be a team from the west, because no west river team in SD has won a state B tournament (White River technically plays in the west, but isn't West River or something like that).

The only other option I could see would have been a team like MPCG back in the late 90's when they played in the Shanley holiday tournament. Couldn't have been 96 or 97 because they won state so that would eliminate some possibilities. The only team from that time it could have been would have been the 98 team.

My ideas probably aren't right, so I'll agree with lionsfan.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:01 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

I'll say it was a town from the southeast, who lost to a mn state champion (maybe even multiple classes of them), SD champion and ND champion (maybe 3 times if they were in the same district).

I don't think it could be a team from the west, because no west river team in SD has won a state B tournament (White River technically plays in the west, but isn't West River or something like that).

The only other option I could see would have been a team like MPCG back in the late 90's when they played in the Shanley holiday tournament. Couldn't have been 96 or 97 because they won state so that would eliminate some possibilities. The only team from that time it could have been would have been the 98 team.

MPCG could possibly be it too. I know they played in those MN tournaments in the late 90s, but I don't think they did in 95 and in 98 they lost to Leeds in the state semis, but Leeds didn't win it that year so they didn't lose to the Class B champ. They might have lost to the A champ and a couple MN champs, though.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:07 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

MPCG could possibly be it too. I know they played in those MN tournaments in the late 90s, but I don't think they did in 95 and in 98 they lost to Leeds in the state semis, but Leeds didn't win it that year so they didn't lose to the Class B champ. They might have lost to the A champ and a couple MN champs, though.

I know during that time they lost to Shanley, Minnetonka and DeLasalle (spelling). I don't think any of them were the same year though.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Wilbur wrote:

Question 1: The answer is once- in 1952.

When the Civic Center opened in 1970 the goal was to try to get the Class A tournament every year with the Class B tournament viewed as a consolation prize. The Civic Center had the Class A tournament from 70-73 and had to "settle" for the Class B tournament in 1974 when the Class A was awarded to Fargo. Additional seating was added to the Civic Center prior to the 1974 Class B tournament and it was a huge success. The rest is history.

Question 2: You are on the right track and in the right area of the state. The answer is not May-Port CG as some other posters have suggested. To give a further hint: this occurred in the 80's.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:59 pm

1987 Hillsboro. Lost to Mayville-Portland, Norman County West and/or Jamestown. Might have lost to MP 3 or 4, NCW 1 or 2 and Jamestown 1 or 0

Edit* this is my guess.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:1987 Hillsboro. Lost to Mayville-Portland, Norman County West and/or Jamestown. Might have lost to MP 3 or 4, NCW 1 or 2 and Jamestown 1 or 0

Edit* this is my guess.

You are correct! They lost four games to Mayville-Portland and one to Norman County West, which won the Class A title in MN that season. They also lost to Hatton and I believe Northwood that year so a total of seven losses.
B Historian
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys