Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

winner-within wrote:was Cavalier in the Northstar ??

I played in the North Star Conference from 1978-79 thru 1981-82 and we never played Cavalier or Carrington. When I played it was Minot Ryan, Bottineau, Rugby, Belcourt, Langdon, Grafton, Devils Lake and Valley City. When I played the Conference itself was very competitive but at the State Tournament not so much, though Devils Lake and Valley City did have some good showings at State.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Sportsrube wrote:

I played in the North Star Conference from 1978-79 thru 1981-82 and we never played Cavalier or Carrington. When I played it was Minot Ryan, Bottineau, Rugby, Belcourt, Langdon, Grafton, Devils Lake and Valley City. When I played the Conference itself was very competitive but at the State Tournament not so much, though Devils Lake and Valley City did have some good showings at State.

I see, Cavaliers last year of Class A was 78-79 season I believe
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:06 pm

winner-within wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:

I see, Cavaliers last year of Class A was 78-79 season I believe

I was a Freshman during the 78-79 season and we played mostly JV's from area Class B towns. Our Varsity and JV could very well have played Cavalier that year.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby heimer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:46 pm

90-91 was the last year of the North Star.

The North Star, reconstituted, would be a solution to today's two class-three class debate.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby NodakQ2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm

I was in Grade School in the late '70's and remember going to either Grafton or Langdon to watch Carrington play in the North Star Regional basketball tournament. The big guns for Carrington were the Berglund brothers. One or two of them were Class A All State. Carrington went Class B in 1981 I believe. But I'm 99.9% sure they were in the North Star Conference in the '70's.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:16 pm

I wonder if the North Star Conference was established in FB a couple years before they made the switch in BB. I seem to remember the Langdon FB schedule in the 77-78 and 78-79 school year including Devils Lake, Grafton, Valley City, Rugby, Harvey, Bottineau, Cavalier, Carrington and Park River. In BB those two seasons they were still using the 4 Region system, NE, NW, SE, SW where the top two teams advance to the state tournament. During the 78-79 BB season they instituted a challenge game where the 3rd place team from the SE region could challenge the 2nd place team from the NE region and vice versa. Same for the western regions. I believe they moved to the EDC, WDA and North Star in BB for in either 79-80 or 80-81.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:42 am

I remember watching Langdon on TV in the State Class A tournament, in 1976....Doug Sturlaugson played for Langdon, he was a vey good all around athlete...Track, FB, BB.

did a little research and Langdon was Back at State 1983
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 am

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:I wonder if the North Star Conference was established in FB a couple years before they made the switch in BB. I seem to remember the Langdon FB schedule in the 77-78 and 78-79 school year including Devils Lake, Grafton, Valley City, Rugby, Harvey, Bottineau, Cavalier, Carrington and Park River. In BB those two seasons they were still using the 4 Region system, NE, NW, SE, SW where the top two teams advance to the state tournament. During the 78-79 BB season they instituted a challenge game where the 3rd place team from the SE region could challenge the 2nd place team from the NE region and vice versa. Same for the western regions. I believe they moved to the EDC, WDA and North Star in BB for in either 79-80 or 80-81.

I think you are right, I was thinking about this last night and I remember playing in Williston as a freshman (78-79 season) and there is no way we would have made that trip if we were not in the same conference as them. I didn't play FB so I don't know about any of that. I do not remember ever playing Carrington, Cavalier or Park River in BB but that could simply be my poor memory and they very well could have been in the North Star Conference.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 am

Sportsrube wrote:
HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:I wonder if the North Star Conference was established in FB a couple years before they made the switch in BB. I seem to remember the Langdon FB schedule in the 77-78 and 78-79 school year including Devils Lake, Grafton, Valley City, Rugby, Harvey, Bottineau, Cavalier, Carrington and Park River. In BB those two seasons they were still using the 4 Region system, NE, NW, SE, SW where the top two teams advance to the state tournament. During the 78-79 BB season they instituted a challenge game where the 3rd place team from the SE region could challenge the 2nd place team from the NE region and vice versa. Same for the western regions. I believe they moved to the EDC, WDA and North Star in BB for in either 79-80 or 80-81.

I think you are right, I was thinking about this last night and I remember playing in Williston as a freshman (78-79 season) and there is no way we would have made that trip if we were not in the same conference as them. I didn't play FB so I don't know about any of that. I do not remember ever playing Carrington, Cavalier or Park River in BB but that could simply be my poor memory and they very well could have been in the North Star Conference.

I talked to a fella in Cavalier (he led the NE Region PPG his jr year78-79) he said Cavalier was not in the N S conf. in BB but they were in Football and went to State in 76 then got beat by Shanley....you are correct sportsrube, you probably did not play Cavalier in BB they had to go thru Central and RR and them to get to State....the following year Cavalier went Class B....I believe they lost to Cando in the Region tourn 1980
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks, winner-within - good to know my memory isn't completely shot!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:45 am

Someone should change the title of this thread to “History of the North Star Conference” so more people who actually played on the teams in that conference could weigh in. A lot of great information on here, and fun to see how many current Class B teams were Class A at one time.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:04 pm

winner-within wrote:I remember watching Langdon on TV in the State Class A tournament, in 1976....Doug Sturlaugson played for Langdon, he was a vey good all around athlete...Track, FB, BB.

Doug was a very good athlete, went on to be a pretty good FB player for Dickinson State.

Langdon did make it to the state Class A in 1983. I believe that was their last year in class A. They got beat by Lankin-Adams in the regional final in 1984 but then made it to the B in 1985.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby the old guy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm

If my memory is correct the Northstar Conference was in existence for FB and BB in 1973, I know when I played in the North Star Conference in 1974-76. Valley City FB led by Bob King was one of the top teams during this time. Rugby and Devils Lake were also among the leaders in Boys Basketball.
the old guy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:43 pm

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:
winner-within wrote:I remember watching Langdon on TV in the State Class A tournament, in 1976....Doug Sturlaugson played for Langdon, he was a vey good all around athlete...Track, FB, BB.

Doug was a very good athlete, went on to be a pretty good FB player for Dickinson State.

Langdon did make it to the state Class A in 1983. I believe that was their last year in class A. They got beat by Lankin-Adams in the regional final in 1984 but then made it to the B in 1985.

thats good stuff HSSportsfan....now you sparked my thinking.. :)

we beat Lankin 2 times, both times by 3 I think, one was the first game of the season (82-83) and then again in the Edinburg Invitational (mid season) where we went on to lose to Adams by one in OT
then Lankin went on and made it to the Regional Finals vs Munich and lost by like 6 or 7 points
I remember Lankin getting interviewed at that years State tournament (from the stands) and they asked about their season and they replied "after we got beat in the invitational tournament (didn't say who beat them haha) we made up our minds to go as far as we could"!!
another point being, folks knew that the Lankin-Adams co-op would be powerful come the following season 83-84...otherwise Langdon may have went 4 years in a row...83 Class A and then their first 3 years of Class B

our season played out and we went on to lose in Cavalier, to Cavalier by 1 in OT (semi finals dist. 10) to be in the Regional Tourn with Lankin and Munich that year
we had beat Cav during the season by 10.....no boasting here, just history and like one said the the history of the States Basketball is fun to reflect upon...

anyone know who Langdon beat to go these 2 years?

1985: Linton, Newburg, Hazen, Karlsruhe, Ellendale, Tolna, Langdon, New England
1986: Newburg, Belfield, Watford City, Hillsboro, Carrington, Langdon, Fargo Oak Grove, Steele-Dawson
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:46 pm

1985 def. Cavalier 64-51
1986 def. North Border 73-52
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Thanks Run...I was going to have to do a little research on that. I may not be accurate on this but I believe Todd Olson was playing for Cavalier in the 85 game and Langdon was led by Darin Romfo. Two pretty good high school BB players.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:36 am

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:Thanks Run...I was going to have to do a little research on that. I may not be accurate on this but I believe Todd Olson was playing for Cavalier in the 85 game and Langdon was led by Darin Romfo. Two pretty good high school BB players.

yes thanks Run,
HSSF, yep, Todd would have been a Junior in that game...... with Langdon coming down to B and Romfo coming to town from Border Central it was tough to get out of that region all through the 80's and even into the early 90's
like Grafton benifited in Basketball from St. Thomas coming over in the 2000's, Langdon benifited also with Kids coming in from Calvin Sarels (border central) and Hannah.....it was once again the life and times of Class B shifting prior to even what you would call true co-op's... :)

the 86 North Border team was very solid too with Volk (Jack DeMaine's nephew) Cosley, and them... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:52 am

I noticed that Langdon went to State these 3 years in a row also in Class B....it must have been the influx of people that came to the area with the Missiles System shortly after this that propelled them up to Class A till 1984...

1966: Kenmare, Milnor, Langdon, Fessenden, Cooperstown, New England St. Mary's, Linton, Parshall
1967: Ellendale, Kenmare, Langdon, Halliday, New England St. Mary's, Northwood, Lehr, Crary
1968: Casselton, Wolford, Hillsboro, New England St. Mary's, Underwood, Langdon, Kenmare,
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:24 am

Also doing a little snooping and discovered something many may already know but Eddie Beyer the legendary coach went to State 13 times out of his 37 years 1960-1997 as head Coach in Hillsboro ND...
thats equates to 35% in an era where State was much much harder to get to in Class B....

62 was his first apperance finishing last
he finished 1st 4 times 1973-74, 77, 81
and his last trip there in 92' finished 3rd....

its a perfect example of what it takes to be a legend and what a coach can simply do for a program going the extra mile....he was smiling this March again from above and that ain't no April Fools.... :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Dan Carr of Linton took teams to State 11 times in his first 32 years (1981-87; 1989-2014) at Linton, which is over 34% of the time.
Linton won back-to-back State titles the first two times (1984 and 1985), and another in 2009. Linton placed 2nd in 1987, 7th in 1994, 5th in 2003, 3rd in 2004, 5th in 2005, 7th in 2011 and 2012, and 4th in 2014.
His record at Linton is 684-195 (.778) in 35 years, and his teams have made the region tournament in 34 of the 35 years he has been there (1998-99 was the only exception).
He needs five more wins to pass Coach Beyer on the all-time victory list for North Dakota, but Carr coached three years in Minnesota and has 720 victories overall.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:05 pm

I figured Carr was right in there too....sounds like he looked up to Eddie....Carr grew up in Mayville ND

Published 1:26 p.m. CT Jan. 11, 2016 | Updated 6:24 p.m. CT Jan. 11, 2016

The North Dakota high school basketball community has lost a legend.

Eddie Beyer, longtime Hillsboro coach, died Sunday night at a hospital in Fargo. He was 77.

Beyer retired from coaching in 1997 after 37 years at the Burros’ helm. His 688 career wins stood as a state record until Linton-HMB’s own hall of fame coach, Dan Carr, surpassed the mark last week.

“I always considered him a good friend and mentor. He was the standard-bearer for all of us younger coaches — the role model,” Carr said. “If Eddie Beyer did it, everybody else was going to do it. Tried to emulate everything he did.”

Carr grew up Mayville, N.D., 20 minutes northwest of Hillsboro, and was thusly familiar with Beyer — who had established himself in the 1970s first as a winner but also as a snappy dresser.

“Very flamboyant dresser,” Carr said, “He’d have a white belt and white shoes in the ‘70s, with maybe a bright sport coat to go with them.”

Beyer also left an imprint on the court with a style known as the “delay game” — where his offenses would hold onto late-game leads by protecting the ball and milking clock.

Before North Dakota adopted the shot clock in 2012, Beyer’s “delay game” — or some variation of it — was as much a part of the coaching toolkit as the full-court press. For good reason, as Beyer’s teams won state titles in 1973-74, ’77 and ’81. The final crown capped an undefeated season.

“They weren’t very popular because they were good,” Carr said. “Often times people cheered against them because they were.”

One of Beyer’s star players from the Burros’ championship team in ’77 was Dave Nelson, who in short order would become the legendary coach’s son-in-law. Dave Nelson later established himself as a premier coach, but for rival co-op Mayville-Portland-Clifford-Galesburg. Beyer traded in Burro blue and white for Mayville red.

Basketball had become a full-on family affair, with Beyer as the patriarch. Beyer’s grandson, Craig Nelson (Dave’s son), was also an accomplished player and went on to a successful career under Don Meyer at Northern State in Aberdeen.

With Dave as coach and Craig at point guard, the Nelsons won state titles in 2002-03. Craig Nelson unsurprisingly joined the coaching ranks after college, and appears to be cut from the same mold. Last year, Nelson led Sioux Falls Washington to an 18-2 regular season mark and runner-up finish at the state tournament.

“Nobody who ever knew Ed or knew of his teams will ever forget him,” Carr said.

Beyer was inducted into the North Dakota Sports Hall of Fame in 2012. The Appleton, Minn., native earned 11 varsity letters in football, basketball and baseball from Concordia-Moorhead, where he graduated in 1960.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:48 pm

That article must have confused some information. Dan Carr is a native of Verndale, Minn., and graduated from high school there. He went to Mayville State in the mid-70’s, and that is probably where he encountered Coach Beyer.

Carr and Beyer’s teams met just one time on the court. That was in the semi-finals of the 1984 State Tournament when #1 Hillsboro (25-0) and #2 Linton (25-0) squared off. Linton won the game, 45-41, and went on to capture its first state title.

Before that, the only time Beyer played Linton was in the third place game of the 1980 State Tournament. Both teams came into the tournament undefeated at 26-0, but Linton lost to Berthold, 51-38, and Hillsboro lost to New Town, 46-44 in ot, in the semi-finals. Linton won the third place game, 49-44. Ironically, Del Kessler was the head coach at Linton that year, and he coached one more season at Linton before he moved on to coach at Mayville-Portland after the 1981 season. Kessler and Beyer would meet at least twice annually over the next 16 seasons until Beyer retired in 1997. Kessler’s 1983 Mayville-Portland team took second (to Hettinger) in the 1983 State Tournament, but his teams would win State titles in 1987, 1996 and 1997.

Carr took over for Kessler before the 1981-82 season, and the only time they ever faced each other was in the 1987 State Tournament title game, where Mayville-Portland defeated Linton, 72-61. Carr took a leave of absence to earn his Masters degree at NDSU for the 1987-88 season, but he returned to Linton in the fall of 1988 and has coached there ever since.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HighSchoolSportsFan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:33 pm

winner-within wrote:I noticed that Langdon went to State these 3 years in a row also in Class B....it must have been the influx of people that came to the area with the Missiles System shortly after this that propelled them up to Class A till 1984...

1966: Kenmare, Milnor, Langdon, Fessenden, Cooperstown, New England St. Mary's, Linton, Parshall
1967: Ellendale, Kenmare, Langdon, Halliday, New England St. Mary's, Northwood, Lehr, Crary
1968: Casselton, Wolford, Hillsboro, New England St. Mary's, Underwood, Langdon, Kenmare,

Yes I believe that run was just prior to the influx of people connected with the missile site being built in Nekoma. The 66 and 67 teams were led by coach Ken Towers who would later go on to coach at GF Red River. I am not sure if he was still in Langdon in 68. A couple of key players on the 66 and 67 teams were Kent Krom, whom I believe was a first team all-stater in 67 (back when All State was combined A and B) and Gene Manson who went on to a very successful coaching career, most notably at Minot High with stops in St. Thomas and Devils Lake along the way I believe. Interestingly he is still on the bench as an assistant for his son Bart at Fargo Davies. Also on 66 and 67 teams was Dennis Throndset who coached the Langdon girls to a 6 consecutive state class A girls tournament appearances from 74-79.
HighSchoolSportsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Wilbur wrote:That article must have confused some information. Dan Carr is a native of Verndale, Minn., and graduated from high school there. He went to Mayville State in the mid-70’s, and that is probably where he encountered Coach Beyer.

Carr and Beyer’s teams met just one time on the court. That was in the semi-finals of the 1984 State Tournament when #1 Hillsboro (25-0) and #2 Linton (25-0) squared off. Linton won the game, 45-41, and went on to capture its first state title.

Before that, the only time Beyer played Linton was in the third place game of the 1980 State Tournament. Both teams came into the tournament undefeated at 26-0, but Linton lost to Berthold, 51-38, and Hillsboro lost to New Town, 46-44 in ot, in the semi-finals. Linton won the third place game, 49-44. Ironically, Del Kessler was the head coach at Linton that year, and he coached one more season at Linton before he moved on to coach at Mayville-Portland after the 1981 season. Kessler and Beyer would meet at least twice annually over the next 16 seasons until Beyer retired in 1997. Kessler’s 1983 Mayville-Portland team took second (to Hettinger) in the 1983 State Tournament, but his teams would win State titles in 1987, 1996 and 1997.

Carr took over for Kessler before the 1981-82 season, and the only time they ever faced each other was in the 1987 State Tournament title game, where Mayville-Portland defeated Linton, 72-61. Carr took a leave of absence to earn his Masters degree at NDSU for the 1987-88 season, but he returned to Linton in the fall of 1988 and has coached there ever since.

sounds like ND should recruit more MN Coaches... :)
very good stuff, thanks Wilbur
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:17 pm

HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:
winner-within wrote:I noticed that Langdon went to State these 3 years in a row also in Class B....it must have been the influx of people that came to the area with the Missiles System shortly after this that propelled them up to Class A till 1984...

Yes I believe that run was just prior to the influx of people connected with the missile site being built in Nekoma. The 66 and 67 teams were led by coach Ken Towers who would later go on to coach at GF Red River. I am not sure if he was still in Langdon in 68. A couple of key players on the 66 and 67 teams were Kent Krom, whom I believe was a first team all-stater in 67 (back when All State was combined A and B) and Gene Manson who went on to a very successful coaching career, most notably at Minot High with stops in St. Thomas and Devils Lake along the way I believe. Interestingly he is still on the bench as an assistant for his son Bart at Fargo Davies. Also on 66 and 67 teams was Dennis Throndset who coached the Langdon girls to a 6 consecutive state class A girls tournament appearances from 74-79.

I met Ken Towers before (Italian moon GF ND)....played for Alsen on some Class C Championship teams with the Herbels in the 50's I believe...
didn't know Gene was in Langdon...I knew of his teaching coaching in St. Thomas

also some very good History/trivia :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys