Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:26 am

Another team that suffered its first loss in the opening round of State was Kenmore, which lost to Divide County in 1988.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 am

Hillsboro-Central Valley is the first co-op to win a state title whose schools won separate titles as well. North Star was close as well, but Cando finished 2nd.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby defense1st » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:59 am

In 1980 I believe Cando's first two losses of the season were in their last two games; the district championship and the first round of regionals. One of the losses was to Edmore. Not sure on the other, but I think it was Wolford.

That denied Cando back-to-back region championships and started a run of three straight for Edmore.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:19 am

Wilbur wrote:Whoever asked the question which teams went into the championship game undefeated and lost. Off the top of my head, Newburg lost to Linton in both 1984 and 1985, Grenora lost to Carrington in 1995, Dickinson Trinity lost to Leeds in 1999, North Star lost to Beulah in 2012. The following are a guess, so someone correct me if they are wrong: Cando in 2001, Mayville-Portland/C-G in 2006, Rugby in 2014.

The teams I can think of that lost their first game in the Region final were LaMoure (Fullerton) in 1975, Glen Ullin (Belfield) and Page (Oak Grove) in 1986, North Star (Carrington) in 2010 and St. John (FW/M) in 2017.

Another question would be how many teams suffered their first loss of the season in the opening round at State. Again, off the top of my head, New Town (Hillsboro) in 1981, Beulah (Hillsboro) and Lankin-Adams (Glen Ullin) in 1984, Glen Ullin (Mayville-Portland) and Dunseith (Leeds) in 1987, Watford City (Munich) in 1992, Litchville-Marion-Montpelier (Minot Bishop Ryan) in 2000, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Dickinson Trinity) in 2004, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal (Mayville-Portland) in 2006, and Central Cass (Beulah) in 2012.

I don't think anyone said Minto yet. Their first loss in '74 was to Hillsboro in the State Championship.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Minto in 1974 would have been before my time. Anything before 1979 would be before anything I could say off the top of my head. I’ll bet there are a lot of teams that lost their first game in either the region championship, first round of State or the State championship back in the days when you only played teams within your own region or it close proximity. There used to be over 60 teams in a region when there were 4 regions and the top 2 went to State, and their were 32 teams in the Region V when I went to school, so there were times when multiple teams entered the region with undefeated records. I know that was the case with girls basketball in the mid to late 70’s. There were five undefeated teams (Linton, Newburg, Hillsboro, Beulah and Lankin-Adams) in the 1984 State Tournament. Beulah lost to Hillsboro in the first round, Lankin-Adams lost to Glen Ullin in the first round, Hillsboro lost to Linton in the semi-finals, and Linton beat Newburg in the championship. Linton needed overtime to beat Towner (which had one loss) in the opening round.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:11 pm

I stand corrected. When there were only 4 regions in Class B, there was also Class C, so there probably weren’t as many teams per region as I thought. However, there were 32 teams in Region V in the 1970s and early 1980s.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:16 pm

What regions were Hillsboro and Minto in '74?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 pm

I believe that Minto was in 4. I'm not sure on Hillsboro. I know Minto used to have to compete with Langdon, Munich, and Cando to go to state.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Wilbur wrote:Minto in 1974 would have been before my time. Anything before 1979 would be before anything I could say off the top of my head. I’ll bet there are a lot of teams that lost their first game in either the region championship, first round of State or the State championship back in the days when you only played teams within your own region or it close proximity. There used to be over 60 teams in a region when there were 4 regions and the top 2 went to State, and their were 32 teams in the Region V when I went to school, so there were times when multiple teams entered the region with undefeated records. I know that was the case with girls basketball in the mid to late 70’s. There were five undefeated teams (Linton, Newburg, Hillsboro, Beulah and Lankin-Adams) in the 1984 State Tournament. Beulah lost to Hillsboro in the first round, Lankin-Adams lost to Glen Ullin in the first round, Hillsboro lost to Linton in the semi-finals, and Linton beat Newburg in the championship. Linton needed overtime to beat Towner (which had one loss) in the opening round.

This is all good stuff Wilbur it takes me back to yesteryear you have a great memory

now tell us how many brothers and sisters and cousins made up these teams :D

haha JK
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Wilbur wrote:Whoever asked the question which teams went into the championship game undefeated and lost. Off the top of my head, Newburg lost to Linton in both 1984 and 1985, Grenora lost to Carrington in 1995, Dickinson Trinity lost to Leeds in 1999, North Star lost to Beulah in 2012. The following are a guess, so someone correct me if they are wrong: Cando in 2001, Mayville-Portland/C-G in 2006, Rugby in 2014.

Leeds lost to Standing Rock in 98, Glenburn lost to MPCG in 97, Tolna lost to Minot Ryan in 94. Not 100% sure Tolna was undefeated that year, I may be getting it mixed up with Ryan finishing undefeated that season.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:34 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Leeds lost to Standing Rock in 98, Glenburn lost to MPCG in 97, Tolna lost to Minot Ryan in 94. Not 100% sure Tolna was undefeated that year, I may be getting it mixed up with Ryan finishing undefeated that season.

Tolna wasn't undefeated in 94 - lost to Minnewauken/Sheyenne during the regular season.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

I am old enough so as the way I remember it from mid 60's to 80's there were 8 regions in the state of North Dakota with 4 districts to region. Most of the regions had full 32 teams per region there were some regions with less and I believe there were couple that had more than that. The districts had straight tournament with 8 teams seeded by there records in the district. If you lost in the district you were done competing to go to state. There was a third and fourth place game for the district. The four district champions then went on to play in regional usually on neutral court to go to state. These games were played usually back to back. In the regional the teams may have played each other during the season but majority of time it was first time these teams had seen each other. Then in the early 70's they expanded the region tournaments by taking the two top teams from the districts. This went on until there were not enough schools left to have 32 districts to where they went to 16 districts. The other thing I would like to point out for so many of you out there that number class b schools you think of today a lot were class A schools at one time. Here in northeast North Dakota Cavalier, Langdon, Park River, Grafton, Larimore, Carrington, Harvey, Rugby, and Bottineau were all class A schools. There was then tier of large class b schools like Mayville, Hillsboro, Rolla, Cando, and New Rockford that were bumping up to the edge of class A schools. The times have changed by who was each class. The time when there was class c schools I was not around but make up how schools and districts were I do not understand. I read some of the history of who played each other but in b there were subdistrict and play in games and north and south teams. Also at least up here there were schools in b that chose to stay in b and schools that choose to be in C. I also saw reference to that in how they were enticing some schools to move to C by trying to put C on even foot to B.
But getting back to class b that was excitement of playing class b was getting to state tournament to see how well your area would do against other regions of the state. Nobody was sure how good you were until you played in the state there were exceptions to this where some of very elite teams of class b were known for their ability. But even there were some epic games by somebody else pushing those teams in state tournament.
To winner-within the Minto team had Dvorak brothers on that team with Wysoki, and I can't remember big center name they had but it was very good team. Dean Dvorak was probably one of 5 best players I seen play class b basketball in last 40 years. Hillsboro beat them with very good team and coach but if you played the game under today rules I wouldn't be surprised with totally different outcome. Hillsboro controlled the game by controlling the possessions and shot selection they had and what Minto had. But Three point line and shot clock would have made Hillsboro have to play more to game Minto liked to play. Also Minto represented region 3 in the state tournament and Hillsboro represented region 2 in the state tournament. Also Region 2 was know as powerful region of the 70's but it was also region with most large class b schools in all of state and had very few small class b schools in that region. Just a little history of class b basketball.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Heard quite a bit about the Davorak's....their Coach was a Milton ND boy

Robert (Bob) Torrance...Know him well.. :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Brothers on some of the teams I could probably do, but cousins is another story. Any small school that went to State at any time, more than likely has had cousins or brothers on the same team.

I forgot about Glenburn in 1997, and I didn’t think Leeds was undefeated in 1998. I was at the State Tournament in 1994. It was Dakota Prairie-Tolna, and Minot Ryan was the only undefeated team in the field.

Answer to another question about 1974, Minto was in Region 3 and Hillsboro was in Region 2.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Districts were reduced from 32 to 24 (3 districts per region) before the 1990 season. I believe they were reduced to 16 (2 districts per region) in 1993.

b-oldtimer, I remember reading that Region 2 had four of the top five ranked teams at one time during the 1977 season, and it was stated that a team would have a tougher time winning that region than winning the State Tournament. However, this was the same year as the epic Hillsboro-Epping match-up.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:52 pm

another thing some do not realize is the demographics of a big B school ar even a Class A school in the era we are referencing to.

Cavalier was also Hensel, Hamilton some of Bathgate, Akra, Bakoo, Cavalier Air Force ..Station Perimeter Acquisition Radar (PAR site)
Langdon was Mt.Carmel, Dresden, Vang, West Olga, also the Missile site days too.

my point is even though these towns and Schools were one name it was still essentially many surrounding little communities, where there was once a school or a few rural schools and now it was all one.

then a few year later came the true co-ops.... one that comes to mind was AEEMO....Adams Edmore Edinburg Milton Osnabrock....and some of these were a bit different come Football season because then the one school was out and with somebody else...........Oh the life and times of an evolving ND
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:05 pm

In 1961, Mott defeated Hazelton in both the Region and State Tournament title games.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:31 pm

Wilbur wrote:Another question would be how many teams suffered their first loss of the season in the opening round at State. Again, off the top of my head, New Town (Hillsboro) in 1981, Beulah (Hillsboro) and Lankin-Adams (Glen Ullin) in 1984, Glen Ullin (Mayville-Portland) and Dunseith (Leeds) in 1987, Watford City (Munich) in 1992, Litchville-Marion-Montpelier (Minot Bishop Ryan) in 2000, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Dickinson Trinity) in 2004, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal (Mayville-Portland) in 2006, and Central Cass (Beulah) in 2012.

2010 - Oak Grove lost in double OT to Berthold in 1st Round of State Tournament for their first loss (lost 5th place game to Mandaree as well)
2011 - Oak Grove lost to New Town in 1st Round of State Tournament (battle of #1 vs. #2)...ended season with 1-loss.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Flip wrote:What regions were Hillsboro and Minto in '74?

Hillsboro - District 6; Region 2
Minto - District 9; Region 3
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Wilbur » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Wasn’t North Star the number 1 ranked team going into 2011 State Tournament? I know they were favored and were ranked ahead of New Town, at least.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Wilbur wrote:Wasn’t North Star the number 1 ranked team going into 2011 State Tournament? I know they were favored and were ranked ahead of New Town, at least.

Sorry #2 & #3 were Oak Grove & New Town; you are correct North Star was #1 in final poll that year: http://kmav.com/polls/boys-basketball/February-7-2011
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:56 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:Another question would be how many teams suffered their first loss of the season in the opening round at State. Again, off the top of my head, New Town (Hillsboro) in 1981, Beulah (Hillsboro) and Lankin-Adams (Glen Ullin) in 1984, Glen Ullin (Mayville-Portland) and Dunseith (Leeds) in 1987, Watford City (Munich) in 1992, Litchville-Marion-Montpelier (Minot Bishop Ryan) in 2000, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Dickinson Trinity) in 2004, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal (Mayville-Portland) in 2006, and Central Cass (Beulah) in 2012.

2010 - Oak Grove lost in double OT to Berthold in 1st Round of State Tournament for their first loss (lost 5th place game to Mandaree as well)
2011 - Oak Grove lost to New Town in 1st Round of State Tournament (battle of #1 vs. #2)...ended season with 1-loss.

LMM was undefeated coming into the 97 state tournament, but lost in the first round (can't remember who they played). Also lost in the consolation to Leeds before beating Rugby for 7th
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

LMM was also undefeated in '00 and lost to Ryan. IIRC Ryan was 13-11 coming into the state tournament, led by Jared Essler.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:31 am

LMM was NOT undefeated entering the 1997 State Tournament. I don’t know what their record was, but I do know that they took third place in District 9, so they had at least one loss. 1997 District 9 Tournament: 1. Edgeley, 2. Gackle-Streeter 3. L-M-M 4. Medina-Cleveland.
Region V Tournament: Edgeley beat Linton; L-M-M beat Hazleton-Moffit-Braddock, Gackle-Streeter beat Wishek; Strasburg beat Medina-Cleveland. SF: L-M-M beat Edgeley; Strasburg beat Gackle-Streeter. L-M-M over Strasburg for the championship.

L-M-M was undefeated in 2000, but lost in the first round to Minot Ryan. They were ranked number one in the final poll, and Park River was number two. Park River also lost in the first round at State, but could someone verify if they were undefeated? I know I was looking forward to the two teams meeting in the semi-finals, but they ended up meeting in the consolation semi-finals, and Park River beat L-M-M. L-M-M finished 7th and ended the season with a 26-2 record.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 am

Wilbur wrote:LMM was NOT undefeated entering the 1997 State Tournament. I don’t know what their record was, but I do know that they took third place in District 9, so they had at least one loss. 1997 District 9 Tournament: 1. Edgeley, 2. Gackle-Streeter 3. L-M-M 4. Medina-Cleveland.
Region V Tournament: Edgeley beat Linton; L-M-M beat Hazleton-Moffit-Braddock, Gackle-Streeter beat Wishek; Strasburg beat Medina-Cleveland. SF: L-M-M beat Edgeley; Strasburg beat Gackle-Streeter. L-M-M over Strasburg for the championship.

L-M-M was undefeated in 2000, but lost in the first round to Minot Ryan. They were ranked number one in the final poll, and Park River was number two. Park River also lost in the first round at State, but could someone verify if they were undefeated? I know I was looking forward to the two teams meeting in the semi-finals, but they ended up meeting in the consolation semi-finals, and Park River beat L-M-M. L-M-M finished 7th and ended the season with a 26-2 record.

I must have been thinking about 2000 then. Got my years mixed up.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys