Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Wilbur wrote:That article must have confused some information. Dan Carr is a native of Verndale, Minn., and graduated from high school there. He went to Mayville State in the mid-70’s, and that is probably where he encountered Coach Beyer.

Carr and Beyer’s teams met just one time on the court. That was in the semi-finals of the 1984 State Tournament when #1 Hillsboro (25-0) and #2 Linton (25-0) squared off. Linton won the game, 45-41, and went on to capture its first state title.

Before that, the only time Beyer played Linton was in the third place game of the 1980 State Tournament. Both teams came into the tournament undefeated at 26-0, but Linton lost to Berthold, 51-38, and Hillsboro lost to New Town, 46-44 in ot, in the semi-finals. Linton won the third place game, 49-44. Ironically, Del Kessler was the head coach at Linton that year, and he coached one more season at Linton before he moved on to coach at Mayville-Portland after the 1981 season. Kessler and Beyer would meet at least twice annually over the next 16 seasons until Beyer retired in 1997. Kessler’s 1983 Mayville-Portland team took second (to Hettinger) in the 1983 State Tournament, but his teams would win State titles in 1987, 1996 and 1997.

Carr took over for Kessler before the 1981-82 season, and the only time they ever faced each other was in the 1987 State Tournament title game, where Mayville-Portland defeated Linton, 72-61. Carr took a leave of absence to earn his Masters degree at NDSU for the 1987-88 season, but he returned to Linton in the fall of 1988 and has coached there ever since.

Hillsboro was not unbeaten coming into the 1980 State Tournament. They came into that tournament with a 24-1 record. Otherwise great info!
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:38 pm

winner-within wrote:
HighSchoolSportsFan wrote:
winner-within wrote:I noticed that Langdon went to State these 3 years in a row also in Class B....it must have been the influx of people that came to the area with the Missiles System shortly after this that propelled them up to Class A till 1984...

1966: Kenmare, Milnor, Langdon, Fessenden, Cooperstown, New England St. Mary's, Linton, Parshall
1967: Ellendale, Kenmare, Langdon, Halliday, New England St. Mary's, Northwood, Lehr, Crary
1968: Casselton, Wolford, Hillsboro, New England St. Mary's, Underwood, Langdon, Kenmare,

Yes I believe that run was just prior to the influx of people connected with the missile site being built in Nekoma. The 66 and 67 teams were led by coach Ken Towers who would later go on to coach at GF Red River. I am not sure if he was still in Langdon in 68. A couple of key players on the 66 and 67 teams were Kent Krom, whom I believe was a first team all-stater in 67 (back when All State was combined A and B) and Gene Manson who went on to a very successful coaching career, most notably at Minot High with stops in St. Thomas and Devils Lake along the way I believe. Interestingly he is still on the bench as an assistant for his son Bart at Fargo Davies. Also on 66 and 67 teams was Dennis Throndset who coached the Langdon girls to a 6 consecutive state class A girls tournament appearances from 74-79.

I met Ken Towers before (Italian moon GF ND)....played for Alsen on some Class C Championship teams with the Herbels in the 50's I believe...
didn't know Gene was in Langdon...I knew of his teaching coaching in St. Thomas

also some very good History/trivia :)

I believe the '57 and '58 Alsen state championship trophies are displayed at the Italian Moon. Those teams both went 34-0 and were part of the state record 79-game winning streak. The only other Class C team to go undefeated in a season was 27-0 Mapleton in 1963.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:17 pm

Wilbur wrote:Whoever asked the question which teams went into the championship game undefeated and lost. Off the top of my head, Newburg lost to Linton in both 1984 and 1985, Grenora lost to Carrington in 1995, Dickinson Trinity lost to Leeds in 1999, North Star lost to Beulah in 2012. The following are a guess, so someone correct me if they are wrong: Cando in 2001, Mayville-Portland/C-G in 2006, Rugby in 2014.

The teams I can think of that lost their first game in the Region final were LaMoure (Fullerton) in 1975, Glen Ullin (Belfield) and Page (Oak Grove) in 1986, North Star (Carrington) in 2010 and St. John (FW/M) in 2017.

Another question would be how many teams suffered their first loss of the season in the opening round at State. Again, off the top of my head, New Town (Hillsboro) in 1981, Beulah (Hillsboro) and Lankin-Adams (Glen Ullin) in 1984, Glen Ullin (Mayville-Portland) and Dunseith (Leeds) in 1987, Watford City (Munich) in 1992, Litchville-Marion-Montpelier (Minot Bishop Ryan) in 2000, New Rockford-Sheyenne (Dickinson Trinity) in 2004, Pingree-Buchanan-Kensal (Mayville-Portland) in 2006, and Central Cass (Beulah) in 2012.

LaMoure went 23-2 in 1975 so the region championship game was not their first loss: Other schools that I can think of that lost their first game in the region final:

Page (1988): The year after Brian Buhr graduated. Lost by one to Hankinson in the regional final on a late free throw by Dean Lingen. Lingen tragically died in a car accident that following summer. With the 1986 Panthers losing to Oak Grove, that was two unbeaten Page teams in three years that lost a region championship game by a single point. They did reach state in 1987 however, finishing 3rd.

Ray (1988): Lost to Divide County by 1 on a long three pointer at the buzzer. This was an epic game between two talented teams. Monty Lund and Jerys Enget from Ray were an outstanding backcourt and I believe both went on to play at Minot State.

Hankinson (1989): Lost 64-60 to Cass Valley North in the Region 1 title game.

May-Port in 1989 lost its first game in the region semifinals 59-47 to Northwood. The next night Hillsboro beat Northwood 45-44 to reach the state tournament. May-Port had beaten Hillsboro three times by double figures in the regular season and district tournament that year. This was current Northern Iowa head coach Ben Jacobson's senior year with the Patriots.

Beulah (2013): lost to Dickinson Trinity in the region final, ending a 39-game winning streak.

A few more teams that were unbeaten and lost in the first round of the state tournament:

Jud (1969 and 1970): The Trojans came into the tournament unbeaten both years, but lost their first two games at state both years as well.

Richardton (1973): Lost to eventual state champion Hillsboro 52-49. Richardton finished 28-1 that season.

McClusky (1974): Lost to Zeeland 49-48 in the first round and then lost 52-50 to Richardton in the consolation bracket.

A team I have seen missing from the list of those that lost their first game in the state championship was New Town in 1976. Finished the year 28-1 after losing to LaMoure.
Last edited by B Historian on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:23 pm

A few interesting Class B trivia questions:

What year did 7 of the 8 region champions fail to win their district tournaments?

What year were the semifinalists at the state tournament the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th ranked teams?

There was a Class B team that entered the district tournament two years in a row with a 17-1 record and failed to make the region tournament both years. Name the team and years.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:03 am

B Historian, I guess my memory failed me. I thought Linton and Hillsboro were the only unbeaten teams who entered the 1980 State Tournament. Do you know who they lost to before the State Tournament? I know Linton was unbeaten, and New Town and Berthold each had one loss, as did Hillsboro. So that will be my answer to your second question. I think New Town, Berthold, Linton and Hillsboro were the top four teams in the final rankings, but I can’t remember the order of ranking, even though I believe Berthold was ranked number one. Berthold beat Glenfield-Sutton, Linton beat Edmore, New Town beat Oakes and Hillsboro beat Belfield in the opening round.

On the LaMoure 1975 team that I stated was unbeaten coming into the Region I championship. I was corrected on that, too. That was before my time, but I thought I had seen that on a special on the Class B Tournament a few years ago. When they were talking about LaMoure’s 1976 team, I thought they said that they were unbeaten until the 1975 Region I Championship Game, but I must have mistaken that for the fact that they simply lost in the 1975 region finals.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 am

winner-within wrote:I noticed that Langdon went to State these 3 years in a row also in Class B....it must have been the influx of people that came to the area with the Missiles System shortly after this that propelled them up to Class A till 1984...

1966: Kenmare, Milnor, Langdon, Fessenden, Cooperstown, New England St. Mary's, Linton, Parshall
1967: Ellendale, Kenmare, Langdon, Halliday, New England St. Mary's, Northwood, Lehr, Crary
1968: Casselton, Wolford, Hillsboro, New England St. Mary's, Underwood, Langdon, Kenmare,

Hey don't forget the McHenry Blazers of 1968!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:29 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:

Hey don't forget the McHenry Blazers of 1968!

1968: Casselton, Wolford, Hillsboro, New England St. Mary's, Underwood, Langdon, Kenmare, McHenry

haha, thank you!
missed it when I copied and pasted :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 am

B Historian wrote:A few interesting Class B trivia questions:

What year did 7 of the 8 region champions fail to win their district tournaments?

This one is interesting to me. Would love to know the answer.

Was the team that entered districts with only one loss two years in a row Hillsboro? I know they were one of the top teams in 98 and they didn't make regions.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:09 am

Looked back at my old state tournament books (just have a few years), the most "non district champs" I could find was 4 in 2002
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Was the team that entered districts with only one loss two years in a row Hillsboro? I know they were one of the top teams in 98 and they didn't make regions.

1996. The region champions were as follows:

Region 1: Enderlin (2nd in D2)

Region 2: May-Port-CG (2nd in D3)

Region 3: Langdon (3rd in D5)

Region 4: Warwick (2nd in D7)

Region 5: Shiloh Christian (2nd in D10)

Region 6: New England (3rd in D12)

Region 7: Beulah (1st in D13)

Region 8: Glenburn (2nd in D15)
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:35 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Hillsboro was 17-1 in both '82 and '83 and lost in the semifinals of the district tournament both years. Hillsboro was also 19-0 in '85 when they lost the district championship game to Mayville-Portland.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Wilbur wrote:B Historian, I guess my memory failed me. I thought Linton and Hillsboro were the only unbeaten teams who entered the 1980 State Tournament. Do you know who they lost to before the State Tournament? I know Linton was unbeaten, and New Town and Berthold each had one loss, as did Hillsboro. So that will be my answer to your second question. I think New Town, Berthold, Linton and Hillsboro were the top four teams in the final rankings, but I can’t remember the order of ranking, even though I believe Berthold was ranked number one. Berthold beat Glenfield-Sutton, Linton beat Edmore, New Town beat Oakes and Hillsboro beat Belfield in the opening round.

On the LaMoure 1975 team that I stated was unbeaten coming into the Region I championship. I was corrected on that, too. That was before my time, but I thought I had seen that on a special on the Class B Tournament a few years ago. When they were talking about LaMoure’s 1976 team, I thought they said that they were unbeaten until the 1975 Region I Championship Game, but I must have mistaken that for the fact that they simply lost in the 1975 region finals.

Good call! 1980 was the year that the four semifinalists were the top four ranked teams. Berthold, Hillsboro, Linton and New Town were ranked in that order.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am

B Historian wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Hillsboro was 17-1 in both '82 and '83 and lost in the semifinals of the district tournament both years. Hillsboro was also 19-0 in '85 when they lost the district championship game to Mayville-Portland.

a true powerhouse that they (hills) were...always winning! must have been fun to beat them :)
after they beat Epping in 1977 everybody knew Hillsboro
Good stuff B historian!

in 82 Crosby Divide won State
in 83 Henninger won State

who beat hillsboro in the semis at districts? and what district and Region was it then?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 am

I have three questions for this post. Should be pretty easy for any Class B guru.

1. What school has the most State Class B Tournament appearances, including whether or not they were part of a co-op?

2. Which school has the most State Class B Tournament appearances WITHOUT a co-op?

3. Which is the only school to qualify for the State Class B Tournament (with or without a co-op) at least once in each decade since the first State Class B Tournament in 1932-33?
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:08 am

I believe Linton would be the answer to both number 1 and 2 because they had more appearances when they were not combined then Kenmare.

1. Linton
2. Kenmare
3. I'll say Beulah, even though I don't think they went in the 60's or 2000's
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:13 am

B Historian wrote:
Good call! 1980 was the year that the four semifinalists were the top four ranked teams. Berthold, Hillsboro, Linton and New Town were ranked in that order.

Some names I recall from those teams. I think most were juniors in '80:
Berthold - Jim Royce. Hillsboro - Kyle Meyer, Bob Beach, Chris Vettel, Stewart? Linton - Brian Ternes? New Town - Perry White Owl, Val Finley.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:36 am

The Schwab wrote:I believe Linton would be the answer to both number 1 and 2 because they had more appearances when they were not combined then Kenmare.

1. Linton
2. Kenmare
3. I'll say Beulah, even though I don't think they went in the 60's or 2000's

Those were my same answers for the first two, but I'm going with Mayville for the last one.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Wilbur » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Some players I remember (I was pretty young) from the 1980 semi-final teams were Val Finley and Perry White Owl of New Town; Steve Hall, Bruce DeBilt, Kerry Ulberg and Jim Roise of Berthold; Lenny Ohlhauser, Brian Sauter, Rich Deis and Bryan Ternes of Linton; and Kyle Meyer, Chris Vettel, Bob Beach and Jim Haugen of Hillsboro.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 pm

I think it was 1984 state tournament that had at least 4 unbeaten teams starting the state tournament. But I don't remember how that state tournament went other than Linton won the state.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:53 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I think it was 1984 state tournament that had at least 4 unbeaten teams starting the state tournament. But I don't remember how that state tournament went other than Linton won the state.

Couldn't tell u who was unbeaten but:
Newburg def. Kindred 61-59
Glen Ullin def. Lankin-Adams 65-55
Hillsboro def. Beulah 64-45
Linton def. Towner 63-60

Lankin-Adams def. Kindred 83-82
Towner def. Beulah 66-63
Newburg def. Glen Ullin 81-63
Linton def. Hillsboro 45-41

7th: Beulah def. Kindred 93-70
5th: Towner def. Lankin-Adams 75-55
3rd: Hillsboro def. Glen Ullin 82-64
Championship: Linton def. Newburg 81-63
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Wilbur » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:27 pm

The 1984 State Tournament had 5 unbeaten teams (Hillsboro, Linton, Beulah, Lankin-Adams and Newburg). Towner had one loss, Glen Ullin had four losses and Kindred had five losses. Seven teams had over 20 wins, and the eight teams had only 10 losses combined. One of the most impressive fields I can remember.

Newburg beat Kindred; Glen Ullin beat Lankin-Adams; Hillsboro beat Beulah; and Linton beat Towner in overtime in the opening round.

Consolation semi-finals: Lankin-Adams beat Kindred; Towner beat Beulah.
Newburg beat Glen Ullin; and Linton beat Hillsboro in the semi-finals.

7th Place: Beulah over Kindred
5th Place: Towner over Lankin-Adams
3rd Place: Hillsboro over Glen Ullin
Championship: Linton over Newburg
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Somebody asked how many times present day school have been to state. I looking at past state champions list did it for my area with now present Langdon/Edmore/Munich coop: Langdon went to state class b tournament 7 times and 4 times to class a tournament for total of 11 times. Osnabrock which is part of Langdon school district went Once to class b tournament and 3 times to class c tournament for a total of 4 times so if you add langdons and Osnabrocks total together you get total of 15 times to state; Edmore went to class b tournament 4 times and Lawton which is part of Edmore school went once under class c tournament for total for the both of 5 times to state; Munich went to state 10 times making 6 appearances at class b, 3 times at consolidated tournament, and once to class c tournament; Alsen part of Munich school went once to consolidated tournament and twice to class c tournament, Clyde went once to class c tournament, Calvin went once to consolidated tournament, Hannah went twice to consolidated tournament this makes a total of 17 appearances for Munich school district. Adding all these together this coop or area it represents has seen 37 appearances at various state tournaments. This is on list of past state tournaments but the early years were not complete list of teams at state tournaments. I thought this would be interesting and there may other coops now even with more extensive list of state tournament appearances.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am

The answer to all three of my questions is Linton High School.

1. What school has the most State Class B Tournament appearances, including whether or not they were part of a co-op?
Answer: Linton has been to the State Class B Tournament 20 times (17 as Linton from 1933-2010), and 3 times since co-op with Hazelton-Moffit-Braddock before the 2010-11 season.
Mayville is second with 18 appearances. Mayville went 6 times, Mayville-Portland went 3 times, and Mayville-Portland/Clifford Galesburg went 9 times.
Kenmare went 15 times, and Kenmore-Donnybrook once (1988) for a total of 16, and Hillsboro went 14 times, and Hillsboro/Central Valley went once for a total of 15.

2. Which school has the most State Class B Tournament appearances WITHOUT a co-op?
Answer: Linton High School, which went to the State Class B Tournament 17 times before a co-op with H-M-B. Linton’s final appearance before the co-op was in 2009, where it won the State title.
Kenmare has 15 (I think they were Kenmare-Donnybrook in 1988), and Hillsboro and Bishop Ryan/St. Leo’s each have 14 appearances. Beulah has 13 appearances, and Dickinson Trinity has 12 appearances since being moved to Class B in 1991. Minot Model, which closed in the 1960’s, I believe, also has 12 appearances, which stood as the record until Hillsboro broke it in 1999.
I will make a bold prediction that, unless things change in Class B, Dickinson Trinity or Shiloh Christian will be at the top of the list by 2030.

3. Which is the only school to qualify for the State Class B Tournament (with or without a co-op) at least once in each decade since the first State Class B Tournament in 1932-33?
Answer: Linton High School, which went to the State Class B Tournament in the 1930’s (1934 and 1935); 1940’s (1948), 1950’s (1950), 1960’s (1964, 1965 and 1966), 1970’s (1979), 1980’s (1980, 1984, 1985, 1987); 1990’s (1994), 2000’s (2003, 2004, 2005, 2009), and 2010’s (2011, 2012, 2014 as Linton-HMB). Linton has gone to state multiple times in 5 of the 9 decades, and at least three times in four of the decades.
Beulah was a good guess, because there are only two decades (1960’s and 2000’s) where the Miners were not in the State Class B Tournament.
Mayville was very close, too, and even if you cheat and add Portland’s two appearances in 1955 and 1961, no team in the current co-op made an appearance in the 1930’s. Hillsboro’s first appearance wasn’t until 1962.
Kenmare has 16 appearances in the State Class B Tournament, but 14 of them came between 1940-68, including six straight (1963-68) and seven times overall (1961; 1963-68) in the 1960’s. It took Kenmare 20 years to get back to state in 1988, and another 28 years before the Honkers made another appearance in 2016.

Note: Hillsboro is credited with 14 State Class B appearances in PAST State Class B Tournament programs, but they are only listed as going 13 times (1962, 1968, 1971, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1989 and 1999). I don’t know if a year was missed by someone, or if they were overcounted, so I will give the Burros credit for 14 appearances from 1962-2016, until someone can tell me definitively otherwise.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am

Correction on Question #2 Answer. Minot Model held the record for most appearances (12) at the State Class B Tournament until Kenmare broke it in 1967.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:16 pm

This topic is Class B Trivia. My questions only pertain to the Class B State Tournament. Anything that happened in Class A, Class C, or the consolidated league are irrelevant to the questions I asked.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys