Class B Trivia

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Class B Trivia

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:09 am

B Historian wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Wilbur wrote:1. What school has had the longest State B tournament winning streak?

I would say Hillsboro. 1973-80. 10 games. Don’t know how they fared in their last game in 1971.

Linton won 9 straight straight tournament games from 1980-87.

#2: Bowman lost 10 in a row at State
1937: 8th Place
1940: 8th Place
1981: 8th Place
2009: 6th Place (so lost 1st Round game vs. TLM then beat Berthold for ONLY State Tournament victory)

Bowman is the right answer, but lost 9 straight and not 10. There was no 7th place game in 1981.

These are the worst records for teams that have played in at least 10 state tournament games:

Bowman 1-10
Ashley 2-13
Kindred 3-13
Enderlin 6-16

Ah ha...I forgot about that...even have it on my topic of Past State Champions :roll:
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:54 am

B Historian wrote:
Wilbur wrote:
B Historian wrote:New Trivia:

1. What school has had the longest State B tournament winning streak?

2. What school has had the longest State B tournament losing streak?

3. What two teams met in the state basketball tournament the same year that they were a coop together in football?

#3 is Wing-Tuttle-Pettibone-Robinson and Wilton in 2001.

Correct.

Can anyone name the other two games in state tournament history where schools from neighboring districts played each other?

1949: New Salem vs. Beulah for 3rd Place?
1983: Surrey vs. Towner for 7th Place?
1989: Hillsboro vs. Cass Valley North in 1st Round?

I found three that are in close proximity to each other; depends on the mileage worthy of being 'neighboring' districts on my guesses.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:42 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

3. What two teams met in the state basketball tournament the same year that they were a coop together in football?

Correct.

Can anyone name the other two games in state tournament history where schools from neighboring districts played each other?

I found three that are in close proximity to each other; depends on the mileage worthy of being 'neighboring' districts on my guesses.

These are the correct answers. Hillsboro is north of where the CVN district was. The NW corner of the New Salem school district touches the SE corner of the Beulah school district for just a couple of miles. I really didn't think anyone would get that one, especially since it was so long ago.

Technically Linton and Standing Rock are also neighboring districts (they played in the 2011 7th place game) but I didn't include that one since there is no bridge over the river to connect the districts.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:59 pm

B Historian wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
B Historian wrote:
Wilbur wrote:

Correct.

These are the correct answers. Hillsboro is north of where the CVN district was. The NW corner of the New Salem school district touches the SE corner of the Beulah school district for just a couple of miles. I really didn't think anyone would get that one, especially since it was so long ago.

Technically Linton and Standing Rock are also neighboring districts (they played in the 2011 7th place game) but I didn't include that one since there is no bridge over the river to connect the districts.

I have less of a life now :shock:
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby B Historian » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:03 pm

New trivia- the subject is Steve Blehm, ND's all-time leading scorer:

1. What town in ND did Blehm's parents live in?

2. What is the most points Blehm scored in a single game?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:26 pm

B Historian wrote:New trivia- the subject is Steve Blehm, ND's all-time leading scorer:

I'll let someone else answer :D
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby birthday » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:52 pm

Napoleon played lamoure in the opening round in 1992 and now they are in the same region
birthday
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:10 pm

birthday wrote:Napoleon played lamoure in the opening round in 1992 and now they are in the same region

The question was neighboring school districts though...Napoleon & LaMoure aren't next to each other (yes, both are now in Region 3).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Wilbur » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 pm

B Historian wrote:New trivia- the subject is Steve Blehm, ND's all-time leading scorer:

2. Steve Blehm scored 85 points in a game in 1971.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:04 pm

Wilbur wrote:

2. Steve Blehm scored 85 points in a game in 1971.

Yes, Blehm scored 85 points in a 122-22 win his sophomore year. His lowest point total in a game that season was 32.

His parents lived in Bismarck.

His senior year he scored 183 points in the district tournament, including 70 in the opening round.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:09 pm

New Trivia:

1. Who has scored the most career points in state tournament games and what was strange about this player's high school career?

2. What team has the most state tournament appearances without making it to a championship game?

3. There are 9 programs that have won at least 20 state tournament games in their history. Who are they?

4. There are 4 programs that have lost at least 20 state tournament games in their history. Who are they?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:03 am

1. Who has scored the most career points in state tournament games and what was strange about this player's high school career?

2. What team has the most state tournament appearances without making it to a championship game?

3. There are 9 programs that have won at least 20 state tournament games in their history. Who are they?

4. There are 4 programs that have lost at least 20 state tournament games in their history. Who are they?

#1: No idea...players aren't necessarily my expertise :oops:

#2: Shiloh had it with 12 before making it to the Title last year; I believe Langdon has 9 appearances with no Title appearances

#3: 20-Wins @ State - Coops included in ()
Minot Model
Linton (HMB)
Dickinson Trinity
Mayville (Portland-CG)
Hillsboro (Central Valley)
Beulah
Oak Grove
Rugby
Kenmare

#4: 20-Losses @ State - Coops included in ()
Linton (HMB)
Beulah
Shiloh Christian
Kenmare
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:07 am

I’ll take a stab at 3 and 4 at least some of them. I know a couple teams have been there so much I could see them being on multiple lists

3: Mayville, Hillsboro, Minot Model, Kenmare, Linton, Dickinson Trinity, Beulah, Watford City, Oak Grove
4. Shiloh, Kenmare, Linton, Beulah
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby B Historian » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:17 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

#1: No idea...players aren't necessarily my expertise :oops:

#2: Shiloh had it with 12 before making it to the Title last year; I believe Langdon has 9 appearances with no Title appearances

#3: 20-Wins @ State - Coops included in ()
Minot Model
Linton (HMB)
Dickinson Trinity
Mayville (Portland-CG)
Hillsboro (Central Valley)
Beulah
Oak Grove
Rugby
Kenmare

#4: 20-Losses @ State - Coops included in ()
Linton (HMB)
Beulah
Shiloh Christian
Kenmare

This is all correct!

Langdon has made 9 appearances without making the championship game.

State tournament records of schools with at least 20 wins:

Mayville (Portland-CG): 37-17
Hillsboro (Central Valley): 30-16
Linton (HMB): 29-29
Kenmare: 27-20
Dickinson Trinity: 25-11
Minot Model: 24-11
Oak Grove: 21-14
Rugby: 21-17
Beulah: 21-23

In addition to Linton, Kenmare and Beulah, Shiloh Christian also has at least 20 losses (13-23).
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:19 am

Still looking for the answer to this question:

B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:13 pm

Heck since I almost got 3 and 4 right I'll take a stab at the most career points in State tournament games. Kyle Carr and what's strange is he played for his dad? I honestly don't have any idea haha
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:41 pm

B Historian wrote:Still looking for the answer to this question:

I am going to take a shot in the dark here and say Wylie (SP?) Bearstail from Parshall or New Town????
No idea on what was strange about the player's career. (Heck no idea on the player either!!!!!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby B Historian » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:42 pm

Good guesses, but you have to go a little bit farther back in time.

The leading scorer in Class B tournament history is D*ck Ryan from New England St. Mary's. He playing in five state tournaments and scored 232 total points.

Here comes the strange part. Ryan played in the following state tournaments:

1965 as an 8th grader
1966 as a freshman
1967 as a sophomore
1968 as a junior

and

1970 as a senior

Notice the skipped year? Ryan was in a serious motorcycle accident out in CA in the summer of 1968 just prior to starting his senior year. He nearly lost his right leg and had to have over a dozen surgeries in addition to skin grafts and therapy. He missed the entire school year while he recovered and returned to St. Mary's as a senior in the fall of 1969. He wasn't nearly the same player, but he helped lead St. Mary's to the state title in 1970.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:30 pm

What former Class B star scored 54 points in his final HS game?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

B Historian wrote:What former Class B star scored 54 points in his final HS game?

That's a pretty vague question. Anything else to narrow it down? Was it a state tournament game or something significant? I can remember a kid from MPCG, Ian Chandler, scoring 40+ in his last game not so long ago, and it was the 3rd place game at regionals. No one would really remember that unless they were there or know that player.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby bingobangobongo » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:35 am

Speaking of Class B Trivia...

If you haven't done so, check out the Facebook pages "Blast to the Past ND" and "Throwback Shirt Guy". There is a ton of good trivia/info on those pages about ND high school sports.

This one doesn't really have any sports info on it, but I think it is pretty cool too: "North Dakota History Of Cities, Towns, And Places"
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Starter

Postby B Historian » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:32 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
B Historian wrote:What former Class B star scored 54 points in his final HS game?

That's a pretty vague question. Anything else to narrow it down? Was it a state tournament game or something significant? I can remember a kid from MPCG, Ian Chandler, scoring 40+ in his last game not so long ago, and it was the 3rd place game at regionals. No one would really remember that unless they were there or know that player.

You have the right school, just different player.
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wilbur » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:58 am

What former Class B star scored 54 points in his final HS game?

My guess is Ben Jacobson (Mayville-Portland) in 1989 Region 2 Tournament 3rd place game.
Wilbur
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B Historian » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:06 pm

Wilbur wrote:What former Class B star scored 54 points in his final HS game?

My guess is Ben Jacobson (Mayville-Portland) in 1989 Region 2 Tournament 3rd place game.

This is correct! Mayville-Portland was the top-ranked team in the state but was upset by Northwood in the region semifinals with Jacobson having an off game. He came back to score 54 the following night in his last HS game.

New trivia:

1. What's the biggest regional championship game blowout in Class B history?

2. What's the biggest enrollment disparity between two teams in a Class B state tournament game?

3. One team beat another team two years in a row on a buzzer beater in the state tournament. Who are the teams?
B Historian
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:33 pm

B Historian wrote:
Wilbur wrote:What former Class B star scored 54 points in his final HS game?

This is correct! Mayville-Portland was the top-ranked team in the state but was upset by Northwood in the region semifinals with Jacobson having an off game. He came back to score 54 the following night in his last HS game.

New trivia:

1. What's the biggest regional championship game blowout in Class B history?

2. What's the biggest enrollment disparity between two teams in a Class B state tournament game?

3. One team beat another team two years in a row on a buzzer beater in the state tournament. Who are the teams?

1. 2013 Region 8 Championship: 52 points - Trenton DEF. Tioga 91-39 ??
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys