2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who wins 2017 State Class B BBB

Poll ended at Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
22
44%
Dickinson Trinity
4
8%
Hillsboro-Central Valley
12
24%
Oak Grove
4
8%
Bishop Ryan
3
6%
Ellendale
2
4%
Stanley
1
2%
Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky
2
4%
 
Total votes : 50

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby Vikesfan27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 pm

scc wrote:There is no need for the extra bells and whistles before the title game. If that's what it takes to get you excited, you shouldn't be watching basketball.


IMO its not about that. It adds to the experience for the players and fans. Makes it more than just any other game, which it is bigger than any other game.
Vikesfan27
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:39 am

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby theallaroundballer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Big Blue wrote:
theallaroundballer wrote:Can we please talk about that final minute? Red Fox cans a 3 to make it 60-58 with a minute left. Baesler scores down low to tie it up with about 40 seconds. Then Red Fox fires a long, contested 3 with 25 on the shot clock. I understand trying to be a hero and he was feeling himself after his last make, but he's too good of player to fall for that. And so HCV gets the ball with 25 seconds left, Henningsgard makes a super savvy play with the wing hand off and then drifting to the corner. But I feel bad for Steve, he knew after that shot was a mistake but hats off to HCV for capitalizing. Henningsgard was absolutely fearless on those drives and never settled for jump shots even after all his misses at the rim in this game. Incredible player, what a shot and what a tournament!! The best B in a long, long time!


Not to take anything from Kyle. But that wasn't a super savvy handoff. Jacob Yankton poked the ball away and it popped into hands of Austin Reed.


Yeah my bad, I never noticed the poke right to Reed. But Henningsgard was completely unfazed by that and for him to have the awareness to get to the corner when he knew McKay would come up to trap Reed was a really underrated play. His basketball IQ is sensational, not to mention the resilience he showed in the 4th after struggling mightily for the first three quarters.
You play to win the game! -TX9
theallaroundballer
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:35 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby cntrfthrs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:12 pm

theallaroundballer wrote:Can we please talk about that final minute? Red Fox cans a 3 to make it 60-58 with a minute left. Baesler scores down low to tie it up with about 40 seconds. Then Red Fox fires a long, contested 3 with 25 on the shot clock. I understand trying to be a hero and he was feeling himself after his last make, but he's too good of player to fall for that. And so HCV gets the ball with 25 seconds left, Henningsgard makes a super savvy play with the wing hand off and then drifting to the corner. But I feel bad for Steve, he knew after that shot was a mistake but hats off to HCV for capitalizing. Henningsgard was absolutely fearless on those drives and never settled for jump shots even after all his misses at the rim in this game. Incredible player, what a shot and what a tournament!! The best B in a long, long time!


heartbreaker for redfox...i too felt he should have held the ball for the last shot because, if they make it, they win the game. a miss and there's always overtime...and just like fridley said, if it comes down to a close game, the team that wins is the team that makes its free throws...and FW's missed a ton down the stretch...A good championship game..for once i felt the officiating was fair...especially against this team known for being 'all hands' ...my favorite lost but HCV won it fair and square....hats off to the burro's...they played hard and deserve the championship trophy....
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:38 am

I didn't have a dog in this fight, but I am surprised not one person has talked about LaRock and his defense on Henningsgard. Besides the 4th quarter where HCV focused on getting him open, LaRock showed incredible defense and resiliency on Henn. IMHO he was the hidden player of the night. I don't think we give credit where it is due sometimes.

It was a good State B....even this old guy who loved the days of Newburg, Linton, and the Hillsboro's will rank this one up to just good basketball.
"Take the bull by the horns"
User avatar
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:01 am
Location: Middle of the Prairie

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:42 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:I didn't have a dog in this fight, but I am surprised not one person has talked about LaRock and his defense on Henningsgard. Besides the 4th quarter where HCV focused on getting him open, LaRock showed incredible defense and resiliency on Henn. IMHO he was the hidden player of the night. I don't think we give credit where it is due sometimes.

It was a good State B....even this old guy who loved the days of Newburg, Linton, and the Hillsboro's will rank this one up to just good basketball.


Larock did well on K. Henn but actually a few of Henn's layups should have fell prior to the 4th quarter

young Henn (#5 Carson) had 1 more point than older bro going into the 4th with 6 points...
and then we all know what happened in the 4th (older bro goes for 10 with 2 huge threes, I was sitting directly behind the buzzer beater one)....the one thing I will touch on is, FW's stall Offence vs their first 2 opponents Stanley and OG on Thursday and Friday....it didn't seem like four winds type of ball...I did hear from a few spectators that it was fun to watch, with the dribbling, although the ball was stolen a few times on both occasions but ultimately it led to 2 victories putting them into the ship on Sat. night....
I did tell a few Sat afternoon that I did not think we would see the stall again that night, for the simple fact it would not have worked well vs Reed and the 2 Henn's and Linnell and that the score would not uphold the opportunity (was pretty certain it would be close) given the 2 previous days.....with all that said Hats off to both teams for giving the 9,500 spectators a night they will never forget....

also, I honestly believe that #31 for HCV was the differense maker in the game with his low post play and huge boards helping out #44....every time #31 came in was when HCV would close the lead gap! :)

Great Game!!!..I liked the fact there was no TO called when Redfox missed and HCV got the ball back with 20 secs left.....Note: it was the year for the lefties, I counted 4 of them for HCV and 2 of them starters.. :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:52 pm

winner-within wrote:
Makotifarmguy wrote:I didn't have a dog in this fight, but I am surprised not one person has talked about LaRock and his defense on Henningsgard. Besides the 4th quarter where HCV focused on getting him open, LaRock showed incredible defense and resiliency on Henn. IMHO he was the hidden player of the night. I don't think we give credit where it is due sometimes.

It was a good State B....even this old guy who loved the days of Newburg, Linton, and the Hillsboro's will rank this one up to just good basketball.


Larock did well on K. Henn but actually a few of Henn's layups should have fell prior to the 4th quarter

young Henn (#5 Carson) had 1 more point than older bro going into the 4th with 6 points...
and then we all know what happened in the 4th (older bro goes for 10 with 2 huge threes, I was sitting directly behind the buzzer beater one)....the one thing I will touch on is, FW's stall Offence vs their first 2 opponents Stanley and OG on Thursday and Friday....it didn't seem like four winds type of ball...I did hear from a few spectators that it was fun to watch, with the dribbling, although the ball was stolen a few times on both occasions but ultimately it led to 2 victories putting them into the ship on Sat. night....
I did tell a few Sat afternoon that I did not think we would see the stall again that night, for the simple fact it would not have worked well vs Reed and the 2 Henn's and Linnell and that the score would not uphold the opportunity (was pretty certain it would be close) given the 2 previous days.....with all that said Hats off to both teams for giving the 9,500 spectators a night they will never forget....

also, I honestly believe that #31 for HCV was the differense maker in the game with his low post play and huge boards helping out #44....every time #31 came in was when HCV would close the lead gap! :)

Great Game!!!..I liked the fact there was no TO called when Redfox missed and HCV got the ball back with 20 secs left.....Note: it was the year for the lefties, I counted 4 of them for HCV and 2 of them starters.. :D

Hats off to you winner - I remember about a month ago you coming out and saying you thought HCV was going all the way - better change your name to "nostradomus"......
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 509
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby NDclassBdad » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:35 am

Makotifarmguy wrote:I didn't have a dog in this fight, but I am surprised not one person has talked about LaRock and his defense on Henningsgard. Besides the 4th quarter where HCV focused on getting him open, LaRock showed incredible defense and resiliency on Henn. IMHO he was the hidden player of the night. I don't think we give credit where it is due sometimes.

It was a good State B....even this old guy who loved the days of Newburg, Linton, and the Hillsboro's will rank this one up to just good basketball.


Couldn't agree more......I enjoyed watching him play defense nearly as much as I did watching the offensive play on. He may not put a ton of points on the board but he certainly keeps the opponent from putting points on the board. Hard working kid that appears to be very unselfish and about the team success.
NDclassBdad
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:51 am

Some closing comments and observations about the 2017 State B....
- Congratulations to the Champs HCV and FWM on a great championship game. It was a treat to watch, thank you.
- With Ellendale's performance, perhaps Region 3 is a little better than people thought. This is why the polls are meaningless, as proven in football as well. Also, knocking off 2 privates is quite an accomplishment for a non-cooped, small town B school.
- It was very classy of Coach Card to try to get Jimmy Slagle some points in the 3rd place game, given what he went through this year with the ACL. I was rooting for every shot to go in and it would have been a special moment for a fine young man. However, the push in the back from Foster on the Ellendale player who was defending Slagle at the end of the game was dirty, cowardly and really just sad. That kid was playing his only seconds of the entire weekend and you want him to play soft and back off? That seems like a perfect example of entitled vs not entitled. I'll leave it at that.
- I thought the officiating was generally solid and unremarkable throughout the weekend, exactly as it should be. Well done fellas.
- The crowds were awesome and absolutely electrified the atmosphere. Well worth the money spent by some communities.
- The pushing and hitting by fans coming in to student cheering section of fans exiting was just stupid and dangerous. Interestingly enough, it was clear from one night to the next that these same fans aren't as apt to push a State Champion football team as they are elementary kids. Regrettably, there were real injuries incurred in addition to loss of property as a result of this abhorrent, obnoxious and disrespectful behavior. MSU security were far from helpful, thankfully administration and parents intervened to protect students.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby scc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:20 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Some closing comments and observations about the 2017 State B....
- Congratulations to the Champs HCV and FWM on a great championship game. It was a treat to watch, thank you.
- With Ellendale's performance, perhaps Region 3 is a little better than people thought. This is why the polls are meaningless, as proven in football as well. Also, knocking off 2 privates is quite an accomplishment for a non-cooped, small town B school.
- It was very classy of Coach Card to try to get Jimmy Slagle some points in the 3rd place game, given what he went through this year with the ACL. I was rooting for every shot to go in and it would have been a special moment for a fine young man. However, the push in the back from Foster on the Ellendale player who was defending Slagle at the end of the game was dirty, cowardly and really just sad. That kid was playing his only seconds of the entire weekend and you want him to play soft and back off? That seems like a perfect example of entitled vs not entitled. I'll leave it at that.
- I thought the officiating was generally solid and unremarkable throughout the weekend, exactly as it should be. Well done fellas.
- The crowds were awesome and absolutely electrified the atmosphere. Well worth the money spent by some communities.
- The pushing and hitting by fans coming in to student cheering section of fans exiting was just stupid and dangerous. Interestingly enough, it was clear from one night to the next that these same fans aren't as apt to push a State Champion football team as they are elementary kids. Regrettably, there were real injuries incurred in addition to loss of property as a result of this abhorrent, obnoxious and disrespectful behavior. MSU security were far from helpful, thankfully administration and parents intervened to protect students.

Ellendale played well at the right time. Had they not lost the games they did earlier in the year, they'd have been a top 10 team more than one week this year. As it stands, they still finished 20th in RPI. They got hot at the right time.
scc
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2681
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:52 am
Location: East

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 pm

scc wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Some closing comments and observations about the 2017 State B....
- Congratulations to the Champs HCV and FWM on a great championship game. It was a treat to watch, thank you.
- With Ellendale's performance, perhaps Region 3 is a little better than people thought. This is why the polls are meaningless, as proven in football as well. Also, knocking off 2 privates is quite an accomplishment for a non-cooped, small town B school.
- It was very classy of Coach Card to try to get Jimmy Slagle some points in the 3rd place game, given what he went through this year with the ACL. I was rooting for every shot to go in and it would have been a special moment for a fine young man. However, the push in the back from Foster on the Ellendale player who was defending Slagle at the end of the game was dirty, cowardly and really just sad. That kid was playing his only seconds of the entire weekend and you want him to play soft and back off? That seems like a perfect example of entitled vs not entitled. I'll leave it at that.
- I thought the officiating was generally solid and unremarkable throughout the weekend, exactly as it should be. Well done fellas.
- The crowds were awesome and absolutely electrified the atmosphere. Well worth the money spent by some communities.
- The pushing and hitting by fans coming in to student cheering section of fans exiting was just stupid and dangerous. Interestingly enough, it was clear from one night to the next that these same fans aren't as apt to push a State Champion football team as they are elementary kids. Regrettably, there were real injuries incurred in addition to loss of property as a result of this abhorrent, obnoxious and disrespectful behavior. MSU security were far from helpful, thankfully administration and parents intervened to protect students.

Ellendale played well at the right time. Had they not lost the games they did earlier in the year, they'd have been a top 10 team more than one week this year. As it stands, they still finished 20th in RPI. They got hot at the right time.


I have zero argument with where they were ranked coming in and agree they played well at the right time but the three games they played at state weren't exactly an aberration. My point is that Region 3 is pretty good, although admittedly not as deep as say a Region 1. However, I'm confident Carrington or LHMB would have competed very well as well.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 2143
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:07 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 pm

EHS1998 wrote:...My point is that Region 3 is pretty good...


Ellendale had a great tournament, but I see zero evidence of this.
Flip
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby OldSchoolBaller » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Some closing comments and observations about the 2017 State B....
- Congratulations to the Champs HCV and FWM on a great championship game. It was a treat to watch, thank you.
- With Ellendale's performance, perhaps Region 3 is a little better than people thought. This is why the polls are meaningless, as proven in football as well. Also, knocking off 2 privates is quite an accomplishment for a non-cooped, small town B school.
- It was very classy of Coach Card to try to get Jimmy Slagle some points in the 3rd place game, given what he went through this year with the ACL. I was rooting for every shot to go in and it would have been a special moment for a fine young man. However, the push in the back from Foster on the Ellendale player who was defending Slagle at the end of the game was dirty, cowardly and really just sad. That kid was playing his only seconds of the entire weekend and you want him to play soft and back off? That seems like a perfect example of entitled vs not entitled. I'll leave it at that.
- I thought the officiating was generally solid and unremarkable throughout the weekend, exactly as it should be. Well done fellas.
- The crowds were awesome and absolutely electrified the atmosphere. Well worth the money spent by some communities.
- The pushing and hitting by fans coming in to student cheering section of fans exiting was just stupid and dangerous. Interestingly enough, it was clear from one night to the next that these same fans aren't as apt to push a State Champion football team as they are elementary kids. Regrettably, there were real injuries incurred in addition to loss of property as a result of this abhorrent, obnoxious and disrespectful behavior. MSU security were far from helpful, thankfully administration and parents intervened to protect students.

This was by far the saddest part and my only negative of the weekend. The part that put me over the edge was the tossing of garbage around the student section, and having it inevitably ending up on the court during the halftime show.

After this happened the camera crew starts to pick stuff up, and the security crew does nothing whatsoever.
“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has that. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.” - Paul "Bear" Bryant
OldSchoolBaller
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby mnnd » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:41 am

Would agree 100% on the comments on Larock....what a competitor and a hustler...would very much be interested in what he plans to do after high school. Our son who played for OG looked forward to playing against him but couldn't due to an injury...always complimented him on his tenacity and unselfishness. I actually took the time to meet his Dad and pass on my thoughts and encouragement for him prior to the championship game.....
Hope he has a successful post-high school career!
mnnd
NDPreps Rookie
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:24 pm

Re: 2017 STATE TOURNAMENT

Postby bingobangobongo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am

ReadyToPlay wrote:Lots of great players yesterday in quarter finals, but was truly impressed with Wyatt Hanson of Stanley. I haven't had the chance to see him play before, but IMO yesterday, he was my top player of the opening round yesterday. He has got something special I believe, or did I see him on his best game of his life?


NDSU is supposedly showing interest in Hanson.
bingobangobongo
NDPreps Reserve
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 am

Previous

Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests