Shine some light

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Shine some light

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:51 pm

With the regular season over now and Tournament play about to begin, there is BIG (as always) focus on the teams with Zero losses or 1 loss maybe 2 losses....but lets shine some light on the teams that ended up with 3 wins or less....I am not familiar with many so I need your assistance...

and my question is:
When will these programs rebound or bounce back into lets say even .500 play?

my objective is to help get a grasp on demographics, and lets say ND Boys Class B in general...
and if consolidation or co-op is in the near future....etc etc
and like I said, just to "shine light" on the programs that are struggling....and not why they are struggling in a micro sense but more of a general consensus :)

Drayton/Valley-Edinburg 1-20...R 2
Midkota 2-18......................R 3
Lakota 3-18.......................R 4
Rolette-Wolford 3-17.............R 4
Grant County 2-18................R 5
Center-Stanton 1-19..............R 5
Max 1-20............................R 5
South Prairie 1-19.................R 6
Beach 1-18.........................R 7
Trenton 2-19.......................R 8
Alexander ??........................R 8
Divide County 3-18................R 8

Region 1 has none, closest to ND's biggest city, Fargo...is this part of it?
Region 2 has 1
Region 3 has 1
Region 4 has 2 yet also has #1 and #2 in State
Region 5 has 3
Region 6 has 1
Region 7 has 1
Region 8 has 3
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Shine some light

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Region 1 has the ability to schedule teams from MN & SD...I know that a few of the lower end record-wise R1 teams had lesser or smaller out-of-State opponents on schedule...R1 has two 5-15 teams in the region (that's their low records)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:18 pm

South Prairie is still a young and relatively new program playing in one of the toughest districts in the state.
Heard Beach was really young this year but they did play some close games
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1 has the ability to schedule teams from MN & SD...I know that a few of the lower end record-wise R1 teams had lesser or smaller out-of-State opponents on schedule...R1 has two 5-15 teams in the region (that's their low records)

Schoolwise?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Ball4Him » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:34 pm

DVE lost quite a few good seniors in a region that was very young overall. Based on DVE's size and the fact they decided to break up their football program between Grafton and Park River, they may be doing the same with their basketball soon. They do usually turn out decent numbers for basketball though, I still see a couple of down years for the program.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:45 pm

winner-within wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Region 1 has the ability to schedule teams from MN & SD...I know that a few of the lower end record-wise R1 teams had lesser or smaller out-of-State opponents on schedule...R1 has two 5-15 teams in the region (that's their low records)

Schoolwise?

Enrollment is what I was getting at, yes
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby stir the pot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Center/Stanton-- Has two wins, but a win tonight puts them in the region tournament with 3 wins.
They beat Max last Saturday. They beat Underwood during the season. Their opponent tonight is Underwood.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Schoolwise?

do you feel that (enrollment) plays a big part in whats happening in ND Run?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:25 pm

winner-within wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Schoolwise?

I'm sure it is a variable...but I'm sure there are several variables for each team listed above
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HONKER » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:43 pm

Enrollment is the largest reason. You have schools with only 28 boys in high school or less trying to compete with schools that have that many in a class. And not all 28 play basketball. It's like shopping at a C store compared to a Super Walmart. There are schools that cut more kids from their varsity teams than others have in the whole high school.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm

stir the pot wrote:Center/Stanton-- Has two wins, but a win tonight puts them in the region tournament with 3 wins.
They beat Max last Saturday. They beat Underwood during the season. Their opponent tonight is Underwood.

#SaveDistrictTournaments
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakQ2 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Looks like Midkota is going to start their "rebound" early. They are up 28 over Oakes in the 3rd quarter of the Regional Qualifier! Not many teams with 3 wins make it to the Regional! Kudos to them as they've played two really nice games in Districts, beating Barmes County and now potentially Oakes.
NodakQ2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 am

Of the lower teams from region 1, most do not go out of state for competition. Most go to regions 3 and 2. Tri State is the exception, which makes sense with communities in three different states. 5 teams had 4 wins or fewer in the region. MV 4-11, Lisbon 4-10, Enderlin 2-11, TriState 2-11, and Sargent Central 1-14. Only Tri State went out of ND to play. In out of region games these teams records are.... MV 5-0, Lisbon 2-3, Enderlin 3-4, Tri State 4-3, Sargent Central 4-1. These teams have an in region winning percentage of 18% (13-57), and an out of region winning percentage of 62% (18-11).
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:09 am

d_fense wrote:

Of the lower teams from region 1, most do not go out of state for competition. Most go to regions 3 and 2. Tri State is the exception, which makes sense with communities in three different states. 5 teams had 4 wins or fewer in the region. MV 4-11, Lisbon 4-10, Enderlin 2-11, TriState 2-11, and Sargent Central 1-14. Only Tri State went out of ND to play. In out of region games these teams records are.... MV 5-0, Lisbon 2-3, Enderlin 3-4, Tri State 4-3, Sargent Central 4-1. These teams have an in region winning percentage of 18% (13-57), and an out of region winning percentage of 62% (18-11).

Evidence of the strength of Region 1 this year.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 am

leroybla wrote:
d_fense wrote:

Evidence of the strength of Region 1 this year.

Like I've said before when it comes to R 1, you cant point to even the Parochial school....there is just the reality of the bedroom communities and the Metro effect on the entire Region....it is a good thing, don't get me wrong for the Class B Schools in the area but it is also reality in the strength of Sports and programs in Region 1.....don't get me wrong some Schools will fall off when it comes to student population (enrollment)
but more will grow.. like in Thompson's case to the North and even HCV...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:21 am

HONKER wrote:Enrollment is the largest reason. You have schools with only 28 boys in high school or less trying to compete with schools that have that many in a class. And not all 28 play basketball. It's like shopping at a C store compared to a Super Walmart. There are schools that cut more kids from their varsity teams than others have in the whole high school.

I would say a Four Winds program has a big advantage with drawing numbers (even though Class B) when the season rolls around and I would say that St. John has (in the last few years) had kids shifting their way also...my point being that in Region 4 you have #1 and #2 in the State and both of those schools have a great program with good numbers in the student body as alike with Region 1 for the most part....the diff being Region 4 still has 2 teams with less than 3 wins and region 1 has none

once a gain not a deterrent to anybody, but again a simple reality to a Schools makeup
which back to my topic is simply and never will be a reality to the Areas (certain regions) that are much more sparsely populated
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Schoolwise?

I'm sure it is a variable...but I'm sure there are several variables for each team listed above

It could be the main one running through all 12 above.......but there is more to it then just low numbers
some of these Schools won State Championships in the past and most may have even made it there
and class sizes (when you involve all the schools in the co-op) are just as many kids or close as when success was prevalent....
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:30 pm

When you get a hand full of young kids that want to play a game they get all their buds together so they can play. The older they get the better they get. Then they graduate, now what. Some of the younger kids don't have the same dedication. Problem when you don't have numbers the ability to compete is now on the down slide untill another group of young kids comes along starts it all over again.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:50 am

Its very simple. It all starts in the elementary, parent involvement, parent coaching, parents willing to give up weekends, and schools allowing all the above. This all happened for myself when my kids where there, don't see it happening anymore. Sad for what's happening with our kids.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys