Is the jury in yet?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Is the jury in yet?

Postby ReadyToPlay » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Just thought I would get some opinions on the rules we have had this past season. I did have some reservations initially on the mercy rule mainly because of playing time for the subs that have limited play time in either B-squad or A-squad. But witnessing some of these 67-8 games have convinced me that it is warranted. On the arc rule, it seems that referees are not confused at all now as they just simply call the defensive foul without hesitation and the coaches don't even question anymore as they were informed from day one what the call is going to be. IMO, these areas have been worked out....
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Re: Is the jury in yet?

Postby wem » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:44 am

For me the jury is in. This is the 3rd time I've chimed in on the no charge circle and its been horrible at class B level. These poor refs don't no how to call it, which without instant replay I wouldn't either. (primary defender vs non) Why do we need to have new rules every year? All this crap in the last few years has, and will continue to kill the sport. Why would any young kid want to ref with these extra rules. Class B region 1 Boys has always been the the greatest thing to watch. Not anymore thanks to NDHSAA and some Region 1 AD's. What a horrible thing if kids chant airball, yell during freethrows, cheer when the opposing team does something bad, run up and down the sideline in front of opposing team, etc. I've brought my kids up to have a spine and work through adversity. I must still be old fashioned, even though I'm not that old and still have a kid in HS. No, matter what he says; the coach, teacher, principle, etc. is still right in my view.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:18 am

I think the mercy rule needs to be tweaked a little, I would like to see it set at 35 points, but overall it did what it was intended to do. As for the charge circle, in the District 6 Tournament it was probably 50/50 charge/block and I thought the officials got it right the vast majority of the time. Give the officials one more year to get used to the rule and get a complete understanding of it and then we will see.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:52 pm

On a thread regarding the question whether or not the new arc protects the baseline as it doesn't go all the way down to baseline, I have not researched it but if the line quits, I would only think it's open game? That's a good question. Apparently since it doesn't continue down to the baseline, you probably can plow through and get the offensive foul as there is no arc to protect you. I guess now the defensive player will get his due as he is playing good old school defense of shuffling and protecting the baseline like we were taught in the 70's. I get a kick of how the majority of the players now a days just let them by the baseline and then try to manhandle them by blocking their shot when they come around. We would have been benched for giving them the baseline back the hey day. Since I am on my soapbox: Another irritating thing now a days, is on a out of bounds plays under the basket, I have seen time and time again, the defense (if playing man to man), has no sense to switch to a zone for the play to protect the basket----I guess they must like getting picked off on a elementary screen for an easy basket.
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 pm

It does not extend to the baseline. In play for secondary defenders only. Also, offensive charge fouls can still be called on offensive player against secondary defender if offensive player intentionally leads with knee or uses arm to swipe, etc.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ReadyToPlay » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Just saying that the offensive player has mental protection with the arc. "I don't have to control myself, the odds are on my side!"
ReadyToPlay
NDPreps Starter

Postby classB4ever » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:28 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:Just saying that the offensive player has mental protection with the arc. "I don't have to control myself, the odds are on my side!"

Very true.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:17 pm

ReadyToPlay wrote:Just saying that the offensive player has mental protection with the arc. "I don't have to control myself, the odds are on my side!"

An offensive player should have protection when they leave the ground and go to the rim. I have seen countless players slide underneath someone. One of the dirtiest plays in basketball.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:46 pm

mercy rule? not a place for it in Basketball.....you want to do continuous clock go play in a 3 on 3 tournament
many many reasons a Team could be losing by 30, other than lopsided talent
go to my topic "shine some light"
semi arc rule?
educate, educate, just like all rules....If you are going to slip on the stripes and black sneakers? show up prepared
players since the beginning of time will test their limits
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Seven districts are proposing changes to the mercy rule at the March NDHSAA District Chairperson's meeting, and six of them specifically call for the clock to stop during free throws in the 4th quarter. I predict that that's the one change that you'll see for 2017-18.

https://ndhsaa.com/board/meetings
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby classbman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Witnessed a game where the team that was up 30 at the end of 3Q came out in the 4Q fouling. Continuous clock during FT's so it was the best way to stop all scoring. Bet no one ever thought about that originally.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classbman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:45 am

scc wrote:
Bisonguy06 wrote:Seven districts are proposing changes to the mercy rule at the March NDHSAA District Chairperson's meeting, and six of them specifically call for the clock to stop during free throws in the 4th quarter. I predict that that's the one change that you'll see for 2017-18.

https://ndhsaa.com/board/meetings

Then get rid of the mercy rule. Nobody wants to watch a foul fest in a 30-point game.

I agree. Get rid of the mercy rule, please.
classbman
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys