Region 1 Top 5

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 1 Top 5

Postby Sparty48 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:19 am

Who you got? My Opinion.
1.Logan Nelson
2.Jake Hanson
3.Andrew Christionson
4.Cooper Lingen
5.Nick Mauch
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Re: Region 1 Top 5

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:58 am

Sparty48 wrote:Who you got? My Opinion.
1.Logan Nelson
2.Jake Hanson
3.Andrew Christionson
4.Cooper Lingen
5.Nick Mauch

C'mon Sparty. Ask any player. Ask any coach.

In Region 1 Cody Mauch is the toughest kid to game plan for. He constantly gets triple-teamed and he still puts up big numbers. The 5 guards you mentioned are all great players, but they are usually guarded by a sole player. Cody is the only kid in Region 1 who can dominate a middle if you don't have 3-4 guys collapsing on him. At the very least, he has to be on that list. I'd have Cody on that list instead of Christensen, I actually think Bakkegard is the best player for Oak Grove. If Bakkegard was on a different team he'd be putting up much bigger numbers but Christensen likes having the ball in his hands. After watching OG play, I don't think Bakkegard touches the ball enough.

With that said, I've mentioned before that Cooper Lingen is now deserving of being in the race for Region 1 P.O.Y. He is their best player by far, he's a tough defender, he's 90 percent of their offense, and they have beaten teams that many of us didn't think they could contend with.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sparty48 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:57 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:
1.Logan Nelson
2.Jake Hanson
3.Andrew Christionson
4.Cooper Lingen
5.Nick Mauch

In Region 1 Cody Mauch is the toughest kid to game plan for. He constantly gets triple-teamed and he still puts up big numbers. The 5 guards you mentioned are all great players, but they are usually guarded by a sole player. Cody is the only kid in Region 1 who can dominate a middle if you don't have 3-4 guys collapsing on him. At the very least, he has to be on that list. I'd have Cody on that list instead of Christensen, I actually think Bakkegard is the best player for Oak Grove. If Bakkegard was on a different team he'd be putting up much bigger numbers but Christensen likes having the ball in his hands. After watching OG play, I don't think Bakkegard touches the ball enough.

With that said, I've mentioned before that Cooper Lingen is now deserving of being in the race for Region 1 P.O.Y. He is their best player by far, he's a tough defender, he's 90 percent of their offense, and they have beaten teams that many of us didn't think they could contend with.

SO??
1.)Cody Mauch
2.)Cooper Lingen
3.)Jake Hanson
4.)Logan Nelson
5.)Andrew Christionson
6.)Bakkegard?
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:
1.Logan Nelson
2.Jake Hanson
3.Andrew Christionson
4.Cooper Lingen
5.Nick Mauch

C'mon UNDSiouxfan :) I think we tend to agree with each other on a lot more than we disagree. Cody is a load, but when talking about game planning for top players, IMO he is one of the easier ones to plan for. Reason being, there is only one area where he kills you on the offensive end. That is within 6 feet of the basket. He used to shoot baseline shots out to around 15 feet. I think most would agree that if he wants to take that shot, let him, it is not nearly as high of a percentage shot as he typically takes. And he will not rebound many of his own missed shots from the baseline, where he seems to get more of his own missed shots, when he misses, than the other 9 players on the floor combined. My main point here is it is easier to defend someone when you know where they will be and what they will do. Cody will be under the basket and he will field passes and shoot and rebound and shoot. Most coaches use the same game plan against him that a 5th grade coach uses against the other teams big kid who is a head and a half taller then his own players. Not always easy to accomplish, but none the less pretty simple.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:05 pm

I really think the top 4 of Cody, Cooper, Jake, & Logan are accurate, but they could go in any order. These would be my finalists for Region 1 POY. Cody is the toughest kid to defend, just ask any coach. At this point of the season, Cooper would get my vote for POY with what he has done with his team. I'd have Nick Mauch 5th overall on my list.

OG and W/L are the deepest teams I've seen this year, and W/L is the best defensive team IMO. But, any of the top 8-9 teams will be in the running for this region.

Generally speaking - the top 15-20 kids in Region 1 for 2017 are a very talented group. I also believe Region 1 will make some noise at state this year but we shall see.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:17 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:I really think the top 4 of Cody, Cooper, Jake, & Logan are accurate, but they could go in any order. These would be my finalists for Region 1 POY. Cody is the toughest kid to defend, just ask any coach. At this point of the season, Cooper would get my vote for POY with what he has done with his team. I'd have Nick Mauch 5th overall on my list.

OG and W/L are the deepest teams I've seen this year, and W/L is the best defensive team IMO. But, any of the top 8-9 teams will be in the running for this region.

Generally speaking - the top 15-20 kids in Region 1 for 2017 are a very talented group. I also believe Region 1 will make some noise at state this year but we shall see.

Nick and Cody both had quiet nights and M-NS played legit defense. Jake Hanson never shot from beyond 15 that o can remember. Showed why he gets my vote for SOY. He was the best player on the floor. And M-NS didn't seem to have any issues game planning for Cody most of his points were on outbacks. Not sure how many he had but didn't control the game.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sparty48 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:32 am

I was impressed with Logan Nelson, against Oak Grove. He started off slow but ended up with 42 points on the number 1 team in the region. He needed a big game because, he only had 13 or 14 against Richland, which Oak Grove has more star power and richland only has one, Cooper Lingen. But NC and OG dont play defense.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack Squad » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Cody Mauch scored 24 points and had 26 rebounds in a 69-58 victory over #8 Norhern Cass
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby underwater » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:21 am

Jack Squad wrote:Cody Mauch scored 24 points and had 26 rebounds in a 69-58 victory over #8 Norhern Cass

I'm starting to get into Class B ball, so I caught some games in Wahpeton today and this was one of them. Cody is a very good player. One thing I was disappointed in was his shooting. I have no doubt that he had 26 rebounds, but I'd guess that he took nearly 30 shots, if not more. I wouldn't be surprised if 16 or so were rebounds of his own missed shots. The NC coach will surely use some practice time on boxing out over the next couple of weeks.
underwater
NDPreps Rookie

Postby wem » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:12 am

Friday night will certainly play out to be one of the most interesting regions 1's in recent memory. It wil be fun.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:03 am

wem wrote:Friday night will certainly play out to be one of the most interesting regions 1's in recent memory. It wil be fun.

Agreed, lots of scenarios, Richland could be a 2 or a 5 depending on the results of one game. :shock:
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sparty48 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:14 am

wan2bqb wrote:
wem wrote:Friday night will certainly play out to be one of the most interesting regions 1's in recent memory. It wil be fun.

Agreed, lots of scenarios, Richland could be a 2 or a 5 depending on the results of one game. :shock:

You know its a crazy region if a team that is #2, can drop 3 spots because of one game, and that seeds 9-13 Can all change after friday.. What a great region..Gonna be a better tournament
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby ProudPirate » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm thinking it won't be any of the 'big guns' that wins the tournament, meaning most of the contenders have that 1 big gun that will need to do what they are capable of, having said that i believe its going to be the #2 & #3 that needs to have a big tournament to come out on top. C Mauch, Lingen, Hanson, Nelson & the list goes on, will all put on a show no doubt but who else can step up? Look what a cold night did to Oak Grove's Girls team. No matter who wins it all, this will be one of the better Region tournaments in recent memory. All those listed have the ability to score 40 plus but its going to take 60 plus to win, i think. How many sleepless nights will these head coaches get between tuesday & monday? There's going to be some strategy involved & which coach that makes the adjustments quickly to put their players in the position to make the plays will be the difference. Looking forward to it!!
ProudPirate
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:57 pm

Seeds for Regions
1. Oak Grove
8. Central Cass vs. 9. Maple Valley

4. Milnor-North Sargent vs. 13 Enderlin
5. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood vs. 12 Sargent Central

2. Richland
7. Kindred vs. 10. Lisbon

3. Northern Cass