mpcg or thompson

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Postby PA42 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:27 am

i was just wondering who everyone likes between thompson and mayville in district 3.  And i was wondering about who will go to state in region?
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:17 pm

thompson is a no brainer for the district
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndman11 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:29 pm

I saw Northern Cass played with Thompson and Justin Dunn NC best player only had 7pts and a off game, but it was the 1st game so who knows.
ndman11
NDPreps Starter

Postby PA42 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:15 am

don't believe the hoopster, they can tell you who retuirns but nothing else. You have to think about the tangibles. i just don't think thompson can win the big game. they missed their oppurtunity for a state title when they lost to mpcg when the nelsons were juniors.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:02 pm

thompson has the advantage because mpcg's team this year isn't even close to the team with the nelsons as juniors.  we won't know anything until regionals are here, everything leading up to it is just a reason for us to chatter about it
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:40 pm

Park Christian - 40

May-Port CG - 38

This is not a joke.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndfan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:42 pm

WHy would it be a joke??
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:01 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:This is not a joke.

??? First game of the year with one starter back, big deal.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby PA42 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:54 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:Park Christian - 40

May-Port CG - 38

This is not a joke.

park christian is an average, yet consistent team not a team i would want to play for my first game. the patriots will be fine if they can find a point guard. Maybe dustin klath or even luke lorenz may take over the point guard position. I applaud mpcg for doing what they always do try to set the tempo. It's just harder to win when you lose four starters and probably the most feared sixth man in the state(harpestad). This is no joke to me it is a joke getting beat and letting a team score sixty when they couldn't score thirty vrs. park river. CV's tallest guy is harldy six feet tall. How could they defeat a region favorite?
PA42

Postby PA42 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:59 am

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:thompson has the advantage because mpcg's team this year isn't even close to the team with the nelsons as juniors.  we won't know anything until regionals are here, everything leading up to it is just a reason for us to chatter about it

but this is'nt 2002. A different district. two different teams. i agre we are talking about this early but thompson just does'nt have the depth it needs to win the region.......oh yeah they do they just don't have the discipline.
PA42

Postby Wombat » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:00 am

Not to take anything away from the Assistant coach for May-port CG, but It may have been a different outcome if their head coach was there.
Mitch Greenwood

Some people say I don't have a life. They are wrong. Sports are my life!!!
Wombat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby basketballjones » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:57 am

I think May-Port CG will go to state this year, they are in a good region with some very tough teams but May-Port is more experienced and they have a good coach as well.
basketballjones

Postby PA42 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:58 am

SCC wrote:Park Christian was playing their fourth game of the year.  It was the first for MPCG.  Do you really think Park Christian isn't that good, north_border_eagles2106?

don't you know he's a little bitter about cv beating them. how? There is no way you could say a team that's played four games whos playing a team with one returning starter and the best coach in the state absent and playing there first game a joke?
PA42

Postby The Schwab » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:04 am

I was at the game last night, I personally thought that MPCG had a pretty good chance to go to state. I know it was their first game, I know that with Dave not being their that hurt, but they didnt play typical MPCG basketball....way to many turnovers. I know it's the first game of the year, but if they want to have any chance at contending for a state title they need to get ALOT more out of their players not named Lorenz. IMO what is going to hurt them this year is not having a 6'7 Center, if you think about it there's only been one year since 2002 that they havent had a tall post, that was in 2004 (the year sandwiched between their back to back titles and back to back state appearances).
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby PA42 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:52 am

who took the shots for the patriots?
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 am

horne98 wrote:
SCC wrote:Park Christian was playing their fourth game of the year.  It was the first for MPCG.  Do you really think Park Christian isn't that good, north_border_eagles2106?

don't you know he's a little bitter about cv beating them. how? There is no way you could say a team that's played four games whos playing a team with one returning starter and the best coach in the state absent and playing there first game a joke?

I see you guys can defend may port for losing players but  north border.  north border lost 6 players from last years team too.  trying to replace zak winkler who was the best scorer on the team for three years isn't an easy thing to do.  these guys have only been playing with each other in game situations for the two games they have played.  it was their second game of the year, an afternoon game after a road game the night before where they dind't get back until late.  that's no exscuse for losing to a team with no size at all.  I wouldn't say im bitter considering i don't play in HS right now.  I was at the game against central valley and heard about the park river/cv game.    basically delvo came to play against us and didn't against park river.  3 points against park river, 21 against us and made 6 or 7 free throws in a row in the fourth quarter when the eagles tried to make a run. 

I didn't think you guys would be so quick to defend may port after a loss, I guess i didn't keep up with park christians schedule like i should've.  I remember reading in the paper that they lost a game to egf senior high in a game where egf had 25+ turnovers and made 7 field goals in the entire second half.  I was just surprised that may port lost to them is all, you guys don't need to get all defensive about it.  I'm sure may port will be fine,  as will north border after they both get used to playing with their new teammates.
Last edited by north_border_eagles2106 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NATURAL TALENT » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:52 am

horne98 wrote:who took the shots for the patriots?

Lorenz had 19, nobody else had over 5.
NATURAL TALENT
NDPreps All-State

Postby Tigger » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:21 am

I don't think the District 3 race has any bearing on much of anything.  Either team could win it or both could be jumped by another district team.  It sounds like Thompson has tremendous team talent, and MPCG has Luke Lorenz and coach Dave Nelson.  Obviously both teams are going to lose games and already have.  The real question is which team will be peaking at the end of the season particularly Region tournament time.  The Hillsboro Burros were able to win a District title in the late 90's when MPCG had their juggernaut teams, but MPCG still went on to win the Region and State titles.  Coach Hegg in Thompson needs to prove that he can get results out of a talented team which he has been able to do at the district level in the past but not past that.  Coach Nelson needs to show us what he can do with one elite player and a good system.  Thompson could win the district in the regular season, MayPort in the tournament, and then both could get blown out of the water in the Region 2 tournament.  In the big picture this district race doesn't mean much more than pride, and I think you need to look at all the talented teams in the district/region not just these two programs.
Last edited by Tigger on Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tigger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:49 am

i disagree, whoever wins district three will go to state. no offense to district four, you have some great teams, i just think the tradition will stay.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:49 am

The Schwab wrote:I was at the game last night, I personally thought that MPCG had a pretty good chance to go to state. I know it was their first game, I know that with Dave not being their that hurt, but they didnt play typical MPCG basketball....way to many turnovers. I know it's the first game of the year, but if they want to have any chance at contending for a state title they need to get ALOT more out of their players not named Lorenz. IMO what is going to hurt them this year is not having a 6'7 Center, if you think about it there's only been one year since 2002 that they havent had a tall post, that was in 2004 (the year sandwiched between their back to back titles and back to back state appearances).

baldwin started in 2004 as a sophomore, but that team was freshmen/sophomores and one senior
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:39 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:I was at the game last night, I personally thought that MPCG had a pretty good chance to go to state. I know it was their first game, I know that with Dave not being their that hurt, but they didnt play typical MPCG basketball....way to many turnovers. I know it's the first game of the year, but if they want to have any chance at contending for a state title they need to get ALOT more out of their players not named Lorenz. IMO what is going to hurt them this year is not having a 6'7 Center, if you think about it there's only been one year since 2002 that they havent had a tall post, that was in 2004 (the year sandwiched between their back to back titles and back to back state appearances).

baldwin started in 2004 as a sophomore, but that team was freshmen/sophomores and one senior

actually there were five seniors that started the year, one quit and two came off the bench. The two starters were solid but might not have started last season. Every season since the early 1990's they have had big man. andrew leclair, chuck klabo, travis kraft, wes nelson, kyle nelson, and james baldwin. All but one have played or are playing college ball. But the tallest player this season is luke lorenz. The streak has ended. but next season baldwin's younger brother is 6'5" and will see some time next season.
PA42

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:11 pm

horne98 wrote:
north_border_eagles2106 wrote:

actually there were five seniors that started the year, one quit and two came off the bench. The two starters were solid but might not have started last season. Every season since the early 1990's they have had big man. andrew leclair, chuck klabo, travis kraft, wes nelson, kyle nelson, and james baldwin. All but one have played or are playing college ball. But the tallest player this season is luke lorenz. The streak has ended. but next season baldwin's younger brother is 6'5" and will see some time next season.

i remember playing them in regionals that year and i thought josh peterson was the only senior that was out.  jim noreen and michael jordan didn't go out their senior year i dont think.  lorenz, baldwin, and fyre were all starters and i think the tim gerzewski played a little bit but im not quite sure. 
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby PA42 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:39 pm

josh peterson and chad baldock both started. Jim Noreen was the second or third guy of the bench, and ryan docktor started at times because of the codination of baldwin at the time. Jake Flaten was a guard who quit after the first game and michael jordan quit in the middle of the second championship year. he would of really helped. fyre started the whole year, lorenz started midway through the year and didn't stop and both of the gerszewki's played some minutes.
PA42

Return to Boys