Next Division 1 player

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Next Division 1 player

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 am

packers21 wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:
leroybla wrote:
packers21 wrote:I don’t think they go anywhere together. I also think Joe plays basketball professionally.

Not in the NBA, IMO.
He's a big fish in a small pond now, and surrounded by other fairly large fish.Though young yet, they have a long way to go to impress me. Gotta win R1 first. Shoulda been able to do that last year but didn't.

This is a GREAT point leroybla.

Let's punch the brakes just a bit here. Do not forget, these are 2, 16 year old boys. Let them be kids and enjoy this ride. What a great experience for these kids. As a lifelong ND Class B Boys BB fan, I am happy for and proud of them for the opportunities they are granted.

Before we anoint anyone as a professional basketball player, NBA or otherwise, remember, these enormously talented kids got beat by the #7 seed in the Region 1 tournament. They have not made an appearance in the North Dakota Class B Boys Basketball tournament, although a mecca in our state, certainly not a nationwide hotbed for Division 1 or NBA talent. They continue to develop and hone their skills in high school and the AAU circuit, and still have incredible up side. However, life with be different at ANY college, say nothing about the talent rich Power 5 Division 1 level. Life is a proving ground from birth. These 2 have made great strides. Things will only get tougher. Let's be proud of them, but temper the expectations and pressure, while letting them ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!

They don’t need to win Region 1 to go on and be successful. I am letting them enjoy the ride, anyone who has the opportunity should be going to watch them play.

Agree with much of the above. Especially about putting undue pressure on kids who are just trying to enjoy their high school years.

Addressing the bold above: Although I agree with you, one must also believe 1 + 1 + 1 = 3.
6'-6", 6'-8", 6'-10" lineup + arguably best player in state + playing class b = ?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:27 pm

classB4ever wrote:
packers21 wrote:
ND Sports Fan wrote:
leroybla wrote:
packers21 wrote:I don’t think they go anywhere together. I also think Joe plays basketball professionally.

Not in the NBA, IMO.
He's a big fish in a small pond now, and surrounded by other fairly large fish.Though young yet, they have a long way to go to impress me. Gotta win R1 first. Shoulda been able to do that last year but didn't.

This is a GREAT point leroybla.

Let's punch the brakes just a bit here. Do not forget, these are 2, 16 year old boys. Let them be kids and enjoy this ride. What a great experience for these kids. As a lifelong ND Class B Boys BB fan, I am happy for and proud of them for the opportunities they are granted.

Before we anoint anyone as a professional basketball player, NBA or otherwise, remember, these enormously talented kids got beat by the #7 seed in the Region 1 tournament. They have not made an appearance in the North Dakota Class B Boys Basketball tournament, although a mecca in our state, certainly not a nationwide hotbed for Division 1 or NBA talent. They continue to develop and hone their skills in high school and the AAU circuit, and still have incredible up side. However, life with be different at ANY college, say nothing about the talent rich Power 5 Division 1 level. Life is a proving ground from birth. These 2 have made great strides. Things will only get tougher. Let's be proud of them, but temper the expectations and pressure, while letting them ENJOY THE RIDE!!!!

They don’t need to win Region 1 to go on and be successful. I am letting them enjoy the ride, anyone who has the opportunity should be going to watch them play.

Agree with much of the above. Especially about putting undue pressure on kids who are just trying to enjoy their high school years.

Addressing the bold above: Although I agree with you, one must also believe 1 + 1 + 1 = 3.
6'-6", 6'-8", 6'-10" lineup + arguably best player in state + playing class b = ?

Read the thread above. I was replying to a comment above.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:42 am

"Undo pressure" in a young (high school, if you will) Athlete, that has inspirations of the next level, comes from Within the Athlete him/herself...these athletes are usually a Cog off of just thinking they will go thru HS "having fun" playing sports, they have FUN playing Sports but they "have" an inner goal also and that is part of what a good Scout (recruiter) also recognizes, just in their play of Sports that they play....and reality is, that a High School extracurricular Sport, is part of where this mentality has to be groomed....
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:35 am

packers21 wrote:
classB4ever wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I did read it and was responding to it. The point: They don't need to win state or R1 to be successful, but with that lineup and talent and playing in class b, shouldn't they? We all know things happen and nothing is for sure, but they will be very, very good.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm

classB4ever wrote:
packers21 wrote:
classB4ever wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I did read it and was responding to it. The point: They don't need to win state or R1 to be successful, but with that lineup and talent and playing in class b, shouldn't they? We all know things happen and nothing is for sure, but they will be very, very good.

Ok.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:39 am

Ryan Sletten (Larimore) is on the roster at NDSU.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:39 pm

Flip wrote:Ryan Sletten (Larimore) is on the roster at NDSU.

That is wild, good for him!
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:52 am

Are Joe and Gus injured? neither of them has played a minute.

Even Sletten who is an end-of-the-bench guy at NDSU got into nine games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:14 am

Flip wrote:Are Joe and Gus injured? neither of them has played a minute.

Joe is taking a redshirt, not sure on Gus. He was going to be end of the bench guy anyways but they could still redshirt him. Isn't Sletten a soph or jr? There's a significant difference between NDSU and Northwestern.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:41 pm

packers21 wrote:

Joe is taking a redshirt, not sure on Gus. He was going to be end of the bench guy anyways but they could still redshirt him. Isn't Sletten a soph or jr? There's a significant difference between NDSU and Northwestern.

Can't you play a certain amount of games and still redshirt? In football, you can still play four games and keep your redshirt. I'm not suggesting NDSU=Big 10 school, I'm saying even end-of-the-bench guys get to play occasionally. Athletically, Sletten is a freshman.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:35 pm

Flip wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Can't you play a certain amount of games and still redshirt? In football, you can still play four games and keep your redshirt. I'm not suggesting NDSU=Big 10 school, I'm saying even end-of-the-bench guys get to play occasionally. Athletically, Sletten is a freshman.

In basketball you cannot play in games and still redshirt like you can in football. Joe and Gus are red-shirting for their respective schools. Here is a good article from the Denver Post a couple weeks ago on Joe and his progression.
https://www.denverpost.com/2023/02/28/j ... asketball/
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys