Senior Player of the Year from each District/Region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Senior Player of the Year from each District/Region

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Let's hear some potential candidates and favorites for the award from each district and region.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Senior Player of the Year from each District/Region

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Should be between McKay and Komrosky in region 4
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:46 pm

I agree, but wouldn't be shocked if somehow Jack Schaefer got the nod out of District 7.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:56 pm

scc wrote:Big Blue, what's your take on Region 2?

A little bit of a mess. I haven't seen stats, so it's tough to say. Going into the year, I would have said Reed, Henningsgaard or Schwabe. But by stats alone, I don't think any of those players are locks for the award in any way shape or form. Ethan Brown is definitely in the discussion and Ian Chandler has come on late. Those would be the five contenders in my opinion.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby radioman » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:49 pm

In Region 6 I would say Drew Pearson of DLB is the front runner. Garrett Hanson of L&C-Berthold would be the only other possibility.
radioman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Big Blue wrote:

A little bit of a mess. I haven't seen stats, so it's tough to say. Going into the year, I would have said Reed, Henningsgaard or Schwabe. But by stats alone, I don't think any of those players are locks for the award in any way shape or form. Ethan Brown is definitely in the discussion and Ian Chandler has come on late. Those would be the five contenders in my opinion.

If we are just looking at PPG (which I know is not what its all about...but its what I have available; I also don't know grades of these athletes):

1 Dalton Albrecht Graf 21.20
2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
3 Dominic Schuster MM 18.45
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
5 Ian Chandler MPCG 16.25
6 Connor Konschok HN 15.78
7 Cadyn Schwabe Thom 13.86
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67
10 Kyle Henningsgard HCV 12.60
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Region 1 is between Hanson (M-NS) & Nelson (NC); Mauch (Hankinson) is in consideration but a little behind those two right now.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

If we are just looking at PPG (which I know is not what its all about...but its what I have available; I also don't know grades of these athletes):

2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67

Thank you kind sir. It is interesting. The Spartans will need to win some more games for Brown to be a lock, but I believe he is deserving. Chandler is a good all-around player who probably has nice rebounds and assists average. I think he is a legitimate contender as well.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Ball4Him » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Big Blue wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67

Thank you kind sir. It is interesting. The Spartans will need to win some more games for Brown to be a lock, but I believe he is deserving. Chandler is a good all-around player who probably has nice rebounds and assists average. I think he is a legitimate contender as well.

I would say it is between those two as well. Especially since they usually like to "share the wealth" and Thomp and HCV have both been doing extremely well this season.
Ball4Him
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:21 am

Ball4Him wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67

I would say it is between those two as well. Especially since they usually like to "share the wealth" and Thomp and HCV have both been doing extremely well this season.

Region 2 will be henningsgard reed or schawbe personally I think it's more between henningasrs and schawbe with schawbe currently in the lead.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:40 am

packers21 wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67

Region 2 will be henningsgard reed or schawbe personally I think it's more between henningasrs and schawbe with schawbe currently in the lead.

I respect your opinion, but to me Calen Schwabe's lack of points will hurt him. I know it's not all about scoring, but how many times do you see senior player of the years putting up low single digit scoring performances quite often? He is a great Athlete and a good basketball player, but I think Brown's average gives him a slight edge over the field right now.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:07 am

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Ball4Him wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67

I respect your opinion, but to me Calen Schwabe's lack of points will hurt him. I know it's not all about scoring, but how many times do you see senior player of the years putting up low single digit scoring performances quite often? He is a great Athlete and a good basketball player, but I think Brown's average gives him a slight edge over the field right now.

Browns team has never had a winning record or made a regional tournament. Those 3 guys I mentioned could put up his numbers on that team, actually most of those guys on that list would. Don't get my wrong brown is a good player I just think the award needs to go to someone who's team has done something.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cmplx6 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:34 am

Region 8 could go to
1) Hunter Rodin, Kenmare
2) Deyondre Simpson, Parshall
3) Donavan Lopes, Lewis & Clark
4) Kolton Jesz, Kenmare
5) Beau Skurdal, Williston Trinity
6) Austin Smith, Williston Trinity
7) Jelani Foote, Parshall
8 ) Ryan Nesheim, Stanley
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:58 am

Senior Athlete of the Year is about the Senior Athlete...not necessarily the team. Brown is scoring over half of his team's points most nights and probably grabbing nearly every rebound possible but because he has little around him he doesn't deserve recognition...hmm...

Also, if there is a region that can look past just points for this award it is Region 2...evident on the girls side in this region. There's value in any player that contributes to the team's success night in and night out like Schwabe...you don't have to be scoring the ball a lot to be valuable.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Senior Athlete of the Year is about the Senior Athlete...not necessarily the team. Brown is scoring over half of his team's points most nights and probably grabbing nearly every rebound possible but because he has little around him he doesn't deserve recognition...hmm...

Also, if there is a region that can look past just points for this award it is Region 2...evident on the girls side in this region. There's value in any player that contributes to the team's success night in and night out like Schwabe...you don't have to be scoring the ball a lot to be valuable.

Never said anywhere he doesn't deserve recognition. He was voted all region last year and will be again this year. He deserves that's. My personally beliefs are the senior athlete should be playing in the regional tournament and have a .500 record. If he wins he wins won't Change my opionion on it, but don't put words in my mouth.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:58 am

packers21 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Senior Athlete of the Year is about the Senior Athlete...not necessarily the team. Brown is scoring over half of his team's points most nights and probably grabbing nearly every rebound possible but because he has little around him he doesn't deserve recognition...hmm...

Never said anywhere he doesn't deserve recognition. He was voted all region last year and will be again this year. He deserves that's. My personally beliefs are the senior athlete should be playing in the regional tournament and have a .500 record. If he wins he wins won't Change my opionion on it, but don't put words in my mouth.

Question, can the best player in the region come from a below average team?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:09 am

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I do not think he is the best senior player in the region.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

A player could play on an average to below average team but have great numbers, this doesn't necessarily make them the best senior player in the region. Like it or not, a teams performance should factor in to some degree. If a player is worthy of SPOY, their teams performance should reflect that to some degree.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am

packers21 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:

I do not think he is the best senior player in the region.

That's fine. That wasn't my question. You had said, my personally beliefs are the senior athlete should be playing in the regional tournament and have a .500 record. So your personal beliefs are that the best player in region can't come from a sub .500 team? Or that they don't deserve to get the award?
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:14 am

packers21 wrote:

Last thing, Brown was voted All-State last season on a team below .500.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:17 am

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Last thing all state is a media vote senior athlete is coaches.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 am

packers21 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Last thing all state is a media vote senior athlete is coaches.

The media gets a lot of feedback from coaches before nominating a player for all-state. While it's a media award, Brown wouldn't have gotten it if it weren't for coaches thinking he was deserving.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 am

Region 1 will be interesting with Hanson, Nelson and Mauch all excellent contenders.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:26 am

EHS1998 wrote:A player could play on an average to below average team but have great numbers, this doesn't necessarily make them the best senior player in the region. Like it or not, a teams performance should factor in to some degree. If a player is worthy of SPOY, their teams performance should reflect that to some degree.

Nope. One player's performance doesn't reflect a whole team. Especially when they aren't a guard. Tough for a post player to rebound the ball, bring it up and pass to himself. Here were this players' stats from last year. He's not just a scorer:
The 6-3 junior forward was the engine that made the Spartans tick. Brown ranked among the top scorers in Region 2 at 24.2 points per game. He also averaged 9.4 rebounds, 1.9 steals and 1.2 blocks while hitting just under 50 percent of his field-goal attempts.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:28 am

Big Blue wrote:Region 1 will be interesting with Hanson, Nelson and Mauch all excellent contenders.

Well atleast we agree here
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Next

Return to Boys