Senior Player of the Year from each District/Region

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Senior Player of the Year from each District/Region

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:35 am

packers21 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:Region 1 will be interesting with Hanson, Nelson and Mauch all excellent contenders.

Well atleast we agree here

Agreeing is overrated. This would be a boring site if everyone agreed all the time.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lamontcranston » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Big Blue - Making Preps Great Again
lamontcranston
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Here's how I've always looked at All-District/Region/State teams and Mr. Bball/SAOY

All-District/Region- If I were to make a team of 12 (or however many you vote for) who would be on my team? Those would be the ones I would vote for. I am 100% against how some areas do it where everyone has to have a player on the team. I have heard of people not voting for a kid because he/she is a sophomore or younger, in favor of a senior. That is terrible IMO. I don't care if a player is a 4th grader, if they are in the top 12 of the region they should be on the team

All State- Media award, If the player puts up crazy numbers (even on a bad team) and would be in the top 40 players across the state I have no problem with them being on the team.

SAOTY/Mr. Bball- I view these as a career award, but people tell me that they are a year award (if that's the case then every player in the state should be eligible to win them, not just seniors)

In the case of Region 2 if the player from FSHP is worthy of being in consideration for Senior Athlete. If you were to make a starting lineup of the best players in the region, would he be in it? Would he be in the top 7? If you answered yes to the first one, he's SAOTY just based on numbers and the fact he's a top 5 player in the region. If you answered no to the first, but yes to the second, he's in the discussion and it would be a coin flip IMO. If you answered no to both questions then I wouldn't vote for him. From what I have heard and observed he is absolutely deserving of being in the discussion and probably should win it.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:59 pm

IMHO, team records should have nothing to do with it. For example, Hazen is having a down year record wise, but nobody will convince me that Wyatt Carr is not one of the best bb players in the state. Also, good players on good teams will have their numbers go down due to distribution of stats just as good players on down teams will be double teamed. One other thing I watch for is if these players are guarding the opposing teams best player. Some teams have the luxury to use other defenders on the best player allowing their star to save energy to use for offense. I am glad the coaches make the decisions on this as they are the best qualified to select these players. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:03 pm

classB4ever wrote:IMHO, team records should have nothing to do with it. For example, Hazen is having a down year record wise, but nobody will convince me that Wyatt Carr is not one of the best bb players in the state. Also, good players on good teams will have their numbers go down due to distribution of stats just as good players on down teams will be double teamed. One other thing I watch for is if these players are guarding the opposing teams best player. Some teams have the luxury to use other defenders on the best player allowing their star to save energy to use for offense. I am glad the coaches make the decisions on this as they are the best qualified to select these players. 2 cents.

Hazen was very competitive before Carr went down with the injury
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:06 pm

The Schwab wrote:Here's how I've always looked at All-District/Region/State teams and Mr. Bball/SAOY

All-District/Region- If I were to make a team of 12 (or however many you vote for) who would be on my team? Those would be the ones I would vote for. I am 100% against how some areas do it where everyone has to have a player on the team. I have heard of people not voting for a kid because he/she is a sophomore or younger, in favor of a senior. That is terrible IMO. I don't care if a player is a 4th grader, if they are in the top 12 of the region they should be on the team

All State- Media award, If the player puts up crazy numbers (even on a bad team) and would be in the top 40 players across the state I have no problem with them being on the team.

SAOTY/Mr. Bball- I view these as a career award, but people tell me that they are a year award (if that's the case then every player in the state should be eligible to win them, not just seniors)

In the case of Region 2 if the player from FSHP is worthy of being in consideration for Senior Athlete. If you were to make a starting lineup of the best players in the region, would he be in it? Would he be in the top 7? If you answered yes to the first one, he's SAOTY just based on numbers and the fact he's a top 5 player in the region. If you answered no to the first, but yes to the second, he's in the discussion and it would be a coin flip IMO. If you answered no to both questions then I wouldn't vote for him. From what I have heard and observed he is absolutely deserving of being in the discussion and probably should win it.

Good post

The Schwab wrote:Hazen was very competitive before Carr went down with the injury

True.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:08 pm

The Schwab wrote:
classB4ever wrote:IMHO, team records should have nothing to do with it. For example, Hazen is having a down year record wise, but nobody will convince me that Wyatt Carr is not one of the best bb players in the state. Also, good players on good teams will have their numbers go down due to distribution of stats just as good players on down teams will be double teamed. One other thing I watch for is if these players are guarding the opposing teams best player. Some teams have the luxury to use other defenders on the best player allowing their star to save energy to use for offense. I am glad the coaches make the decisions on this as they are the best qualified to select these players. 2 cents.

Carr is a different story and arguement. He was a no doubter, one of the best in the state and like schab said he's team was competitive and he's played on good teams.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 pm

packers21 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Carr is a different story and arguement. He was a no doubter, one of the best in the state and like schab said he's team was competitive and he's played on good teams.

packers21 you should ask The Schwab about a guy named Christopher Reinhart from Finley-Sharon. He didn't play on winning teams either. But trust me (and The Schwab I'm sure) that he was indeed one of the state's best player (if not THE best player) despite his team not winning many games. Team success and individual ability are often 1000% unrelated.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

packers21 you should ask The Schwab about a guy named Christopher Reinhart from Finley-Sharon. He didn't play on winning teams either. But trust me (and The Schwab I'm sure) that he was indeed one of the state's best player (if not THE best player) despite his team not winning many games. Team success and individual ability are often 1000% unrelated.

I don't need anyone to tell me how good of a player Buddy was in HS and in college. What I can tell you about Brown is he wouldn't be in my top 5 in the region, he would be top 7. Buddy was much more comparable to Carr that he is to Brown. You're making it sound like I don't respect and admire Browns game. I think he's a good player, not a senior athlete of the region tho.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:40 pm

I think the reason they started this award is to give recognition to a player that is now no longer going to play in HS?
is the award related to did he do good in football or any other sports too? because I've seen this Bias per say in previous years

but I think the award is cool, prob not as cool as "All-Region" IMO, but cool

but if its Basketball SPOY than the award has to be based on the athlete from November to March on the hard court and not just PPG....because PPG doesn't tell how many SPG
Last edited by winner-within on Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Top three IMO for region 5 (random order):
Montel Carlow - Solen
Brayden Uses Arrow - Solen
Connor Marion - Flasher
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm

packers21 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I don't need anyone to tell me how good of a player Buddy was in HS and in college. What I can tell you about Brown is he wouldn't be in my top 5 in the region, he would be top 7. Buddy was much more comparable to Carr that he is to Brown. You're making it sound like I don't respect and admire Browns game. I think he's a good player, not a senior athlete of the region tho.

Dude you don't get it!!! I have no problem that Brown isn't your pick. I don't know if he's mine. Still a littleearly. I wasn't comparing him to Reinhart either. I was responding to your ridiculous comment about how players who aren't on winning teams shouldn't be considered for the senior player of the year award.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

Dude you don't get it!!! I have no problem that Brown isn't your pick. I don't know if he's mine. Still a littleearly. I wasn't comparing him to Reinhart either. I was responding to your ridiculous comment about how players who aren't on winning teams shouldn't be considered for the senior player of the year award.

No dude you don't get it. I said at some point the should be able to lift their teams to a .500 record or a regional appearance over 4 years, which brown still has a chance to do. I also was referring only to the region 2 senior athlete this year, although most years I feel this way. There are some exceptions Carr is an example those types of players, which brown isn't.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:32 pm

packers21 wrote:No dude you don't get it. I said at some point the should be able to lift their teams to a .500 record or a regional appearance over 4 years, which brown still has a chance to do. I also was referring only to the region 2 senior athlete this year, although most years I feel this way. There are some exceptions Carr is an example those types of players, which brown isn't.

Look at your statement about it. It seems pretty clear.
"My personally beliefs are the senior athlete should be playing in the regional tournament and have a .500 record."
That's what you said. Period. I disagree with it. Which is fine.
The ENTIRE reason for this site is to debate...one of the reasons everyone has stopped posting on here and its been so slow is everyone is so scared to debate anything.
Oh wait those aren't my words. They're yours. Do you remember how you ended that statement last year?
"And I would love to argue your point of Brown being the best playing in region 2.. that to me is almost laughable."
So yes, I do doubt how much admire his ability. Be accountable for what you say on hear. I say stupid things all the time, but I admit when I am wrong.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Here's a debate question for you. Should Carr be the SAOTY for region 7? I believe he played in one region game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Big Blue wrote:
packers21 wrote:No dude you don't get it. I said at some point the should be able to lift their teams to a .500 record or a regional appearance over 4 years, which brown still has a chance to do. I also was referring only to the region 2 senior athlete this year, although most years I feel this way. There are some exceptions Carr is an example those types of players, which brown isn't.

Look at your statement about it. It seems pretty clear.
"My personally beliefs are the senior athlete should be playing in the regional tournament and have a .500 record."
That's what you said. Period. I disagree with it. Which is fine.
The ENTIRE reason for this site is to debate...one of the reasons everyone has stopped posting on here and its been so slow is everyone is so scared to debate anything.
Oh wait those aren't my words. They're yours. Do you remember how you ended that statement last year?
"And I would love to argue your point of Brown being the best playing in region 2.. that to me is almost laughable."
So yes, I do doubt how much admire his ability. Be accountable for what you say on hear. I say stupid things all the time, but I admit when I am wrong.

Still is laughable to me to me. If you wanna argue with me about best players in the region start a new thread bc that's a completely different topic and irrelevant. I do think someone needs to be able to make their team better and win a few games. Not like FSHP is playing a killer schedule. That comment I made about him being the best player in region 2 was referring to him making all-state last year which to me is still a joke.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:51 pm

scc wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:
scc wrote:Big Blue, what's your take on Region 2?

A little bit of a mess. I haven't seen stats, so it's tough to say. Going into the year, I would have said Reed, Henningsgaard or Schwabe. But by stats alone, I don't think any of those players are locks for the award in any way shape or form. Ethan Brown is definitely in the discussion and Ian Chandler has come on late. Those would be the five contenders in my opinion.

If we are just looking at PPG (which I know is not what its all about...but its what I have available; I also don't know grades of these athletes):

1 Dalton Albrecht Graf 21.20
2 Ethan Brown FSHP 21.14
3 Dominic Schuster MM 18.45
4 Ben Johnson HN 16.33
5 Ian Chandler MPCG 16.25
6 Connor Konschok HN 15.78
7 Cadyn Schwabe Thom 13.86
8 Andy Rintala Cav 13.75
9 Austin Reed HCV 13.67
10 Kyle Henningsgard HCV 12.60

These numbers only include region games, right?

That's possible, I just went with what was sent to me
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:42 pm

The Schwab wrote:Here's a debate question for you. Should Carr be the SAOTY for region 7? I believe he played in one region game.

Great question Schwab, and I believe the answer to this question is how you view the award; as a commendation on a player's career or his senior season. Personally I view the award as is written and base it mostly off their performance their senior year so by that logic I probably wouldn't include Carr. I know that there are others who think the other way, and if it were based on career it would be a tragedy not to include someone with a resume like his.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:10 am

District 6:

Cole VanderLaan - Linton-HMB
Tristan Lippert - South Border
Hunter Huziengea (SP?) - Strasburg
Brighton Fallgatter - Kidder County
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wem » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 am

Senior athlete of the year and All-state has premeditated names that have been thrown around by the media and coaches ever since last March. Name recognition from previous years puts you in the running. Very rarely is there a player that gets either one of these awards if they haven't put up the numbers previously. I don't think having a great senior year is enough, unless you were mentioned previous years. I'm not from Alex Wisnewski's town of Lidg., but you talk about a great season he's having, and I haven't heard his name even part of any discussion for anything.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:25 am

scc; Are you talking March of 16 or 17. I'm fairly sure you are talking 17. If that the case, your living under a rock. Most of the names discussed previous in this forum are athletes who have had good years prior to their senior year. They can have a subpar senior, but still will be considered for these awards.(Its theres to lose) I,ll even throw ya an example of this, Carter Kretchman was named Region 1 senior of the year and he wasn't even the most valuable on his own team. Christian Adams way clearcut choice over Kretchman. Name recognition and perception on who should get it from previous year.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 am

Coaches vote on SAOTY. Media does not. SCC is a media voter. So, yeah.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:54 am

balla45 wrote:Coaches vote on SAOTY. Media does not. SCC is a media voter. So, yeah.

All-State was mentioned in previous post...I think that's what scc was talking about...that's voted on by the media.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Previous

Return to Boys