Coaching Changes

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Coaching Changes

Postby Nodak Guy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:58 am

Quick question. What's up with schools canning coaches during the season? Larimore last week with the boys and now Richland with the girls. Does anyone have any insight on this? This isn't the pros or collegiate level, people. Seems odd to me. Anyone?????
Nodak Guy
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Coaching Changes

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Nodak Guy wrote:Quick question. What's up with schools canning coaches during the season? Larimore last week with the boys and now Richland with the girls. Does anyone have any insight on this? This isn't the pros or collegiate level, people. Seems odd to me. Anyone?????

Richland coach resigned on his own due to personal reasons
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:15 pm

Usually there are circumstances that are bad. Personal reasons can be due to health or family issues. But if the reasons are not stated it is usually a bad reason involving putting kids in danger, either physically or mentally. Most "Personal Reasons" resignations are done as a courtesy to the coach so that they can find another job and not have their resume tarnished. If you get fired because you struggle as a coach, odds are very slim anyone else will hire you. If you had to resign due to "Personal Reasons" it saves the administration from having to tell the next employer that you got canned because you sucked, or you were touching kids. The administration can legally only say you resigned due to "Personal Reasons".

Not saying that this is the case with either of these two coaches. I have no idea why they left.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bisonation6 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:30 am

This is interesting because it happened a few years ago at Bishop Ryan. The boys' coach was gone right before the district tournaments began. This was one of the first times, and since the last, I have heard of that in ND. It was likely a conduct/relationship issue at Ryan. You must remember how vicious some parents can get and demand a coach be shown the door and sometimes the outcry leaves the school with no choice. Sometimes, doesn't take much in this country these days either for a tiny issue to become a large one, I.e. Kid not getting to play, etc. Berthold's girls' coach got ran out a few years ago by the parents, but that wasn't in the middle of the season.
bisonation6
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:http://www.inforum.com/sports/high-school-sports/4202295-conklin-resigns-girls-basketball-coach-richland

Run, please don't tell me your buying this.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Big Blue wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:http://www.inforum.com/sports/high-school-sports/4202295-conklin-resigns-girls-basketball-coach-richland

Until I hear otherwise from a reliable source...this is what it is
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

Question: when they run a story about a college coach, after a tough season, resigning do you take it for what it is? Coaching changes are presented in the media in a way that shines both parties in the most positive light possible. Not saying this coach was forced out, but trust me there had to be more than a 30-minute commute that was behind the decision to leave his team mid-season.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Big Blue wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Big Blue wrote:

Question: when they run a story about a college coach, after a tough season, resigning do you take it for what it is? Coaching changes are presented in the media in a way that shines both parties in the most positive light possible. Not saying this coach was forced out, but trust me there had to be more than a 30-minute commute that was behind the decision to leave his team mid-season.

That's your opinion...and that's fine...I go with the story until I hear otherwise. If a source says something different on this subject then I'll change my stance...

HS & College resignations are not in the same boat as most college resignations are linked to poor performances by the team and recruiting...High school can be many different reasons...but they aren't (or shouldn't) be linked to poor performance.

Interestingly, Richland has one of the best group of starters in R1 GBB this season...they've played a tough schedule and lost a couple of close games. If Richland can transition through this they still will be a tough 'out' in R1.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:46 am

I know the hoopster picked Richland to win region 1, but was that maybe a bit unrealistic?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 am

Flip wrote:I know the hoopster picked Richland to win region 1, but was that maybe a bit unrealistic?

In my opinion, No...they've got the players to make that postseason run. I don't think the Hoopster will be too far off in Region 1...Richland will likely end in that 4-6 range after their Region losses vs. OG, Kindred & Enderlin...but they could run the table in their remaining ND games (1 non-ND game vs. high-ranked 14-0 Wheaton, MN team). R1's 2-7 spots could be anyone at this point...Kindred should be safe as #1 right now.

http://www.northdakota-scores.net/teams ... 2&tid=4414

Addition: Wynd-Lidg will be off from the Hoopster as they had a key player not come out to focus on college VB
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby airmail » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:40 am

Larimore seems to always be on a witch hunt. It's hardly a surprise anymore when there's a coaching change in that town.
airmail
NDPreps Starter

Postby Edger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:58 am

I was very surprised to find out that Parshall got rid of last year's coach after two winning season. The only thing wrong was that New Town was able to beat Parshall in a key regional game that prevented another state visit. Still, 2 winning seasons and they got rid of him? A hand full of disgruntled parents. The Coach's family wanted the politics of it known and she posted it all over social media. It was later confirmed by a member of the board.
Edger
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys