Rule Book

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Rule Book

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 am

Saw something happen I've never seen before. Block/Charge situation, one ref had block, one ref had charge. Basket was made on the play. They talked about it, ruled a double foul on the same block/charge, defender got a blocking foul, offensive player got a charge, didn't award the basket. Possession was awarded based on the arrow. This happened at a crucial point in the game, offensive team was down 2 with 1:30 left. Thoughts?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Re: Rule Book

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:54 am

Certainly don't seen how you can call a double foul in that situation. It's one or the other
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

I have never seen it as a potential shooting foul, but I have seen it a few times, although never in HS.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:41 pm

The Schwab wrote:Saw something happen I've never seen before. Block/Charge situation, one ref had block, one ref had charge. Basket was made on the play. They talked about it, ruled a double foul on the same block/charge, defender got a blocking foul, offensive player got a charge, didn't award the basket. Possession was awarded based on the arrow. This happened at a crucial point in the game, offensive team was down 2 with 1:30 left. Thoughts?

where was the third ref?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm

Eating popcorn!! Haha, he was trailing the play on the opposite side of the floor.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:Eating popcorn!! Haha, he was trailing the play on the opposite side of the floor.

well heck, thats the one (trailing) that usually makes the call :D

I would say hands down they would have to say either or......
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby hawk41 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:00 pm

That type of indecisive ruling should never be called, let alone at a crucial point in the game. After the two officials discussed the play, one should have deferred.
hawk41
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 pm

hawk41 wrote:That type of indecisive ruling should never be called, let alone at a crucial point in the game. After the two officials discussed the play, one should have deferred.

Right, officials should not follow the rules when it might confuse the fans.

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:20 pm

The play above could be a double foul, due to the offensive player dropping his shoulder and running through the player, even though the defensive player was sliding into position.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:53 pm

Flip wrote:
hawk41 wrote:That type of indecisive ruling should never be called, let alone at a crucial point in the game. After the two officials discussed the play, one should have deferred.

Right, officials should not follow the rules when it might confuse the fans.

8 times out of ten thats a blocking foul in D1 ball....even with the aggressive and indecisiveness of the offensive player.....defenders legs were spread way to wide and he leans in way to much....
I understand the double foul called and I don't know how long it took to decide that in that particular game
but I say that 8 out of ten just like plays, its called a blocking foul....I know it would be 10 out of 10 blocking in the NBA
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:12 am

Definitely a block in that video if you ask me. My point is if one official calls a block and another calls a charge the correct call is a double foul.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 am

IMHO, either the defender is in a legal position or not. Officials should get together and at that point if no consensus, lead official makes the final decision.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:27 am

Flip wrote:Definitely a block in that video if you ask me. My point is if one official calls a block and another calls a charge the correct call is a double foul.

I would agree, but the problem is (in this vid) and most of the time, that a charge is called first (easier call to make if you will) then comes the conferring and confuting between officials and the double foul is applied..

my point is, if the first call made was charge, before the other called block then it should stick with charge

now, if it was simultaneously (or close to) then confer and make the call one way or the other........not a fan of double foul even though obviously it is in the rules :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 am

winner-within wrote:now, if it was simultaneously (or close to) then confer and make the call one way or the other........not a fan of double foul even though obviously it is in the rules :)

Agreed. About the only time a double foul needs to be called is when 2 players are aggressively battling one another for position, etc. and the situation is getting out of hand.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:02 am

classB4ever wrote:
winner-within wrote:now, if it was simultaneously (or close to) then confer and make the call one way or the other........not a fan of double foul even though obviously it is in the rules :)

Agreed. About the only time a double foul needs to be called is when 2 players are aggressively battling one another for position, etc. and the situation is getting out of hand.

right, and definitely if points are involved....and also a double foul involves the possession arrow as would a no call (after conferring) I assume.....best if you keep the possession arrow out of it IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys