No Charge Semi-Circle

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

No Charge Semi-Circle

Postby Rivershark » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:39 am

What is everyone's thoughts on the no charge semi-circle in high school basketball? I watched a game last night where the offensive player comes barreling into the lane out of control, runs into the guy that had one foot inside the semi-circle and ends up drawing the blocking foul. Do both feet have to be behind the circle or just one? Is this really necessary in high school basketball? What ever happened to pulling up and taking the jump shot?
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: No Charge Semi-Circle

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:59 am

A number of things coming to play. If the player that was run into by the offense of player in your situation was in a legal guarding position, but had a foot in the lane, it cannot be called a charge if it was a secondary defender, but also should not be called a blocking foul. It should have been a no call. If the player that was run into was the primary defender of the man with the ball, and was legal guardian position, it should've been a charge. The restricted arc only applies to secondary defenders. The primary defender may draw a charge call when standing in the restricted arc. A secondary defender cannot draw a charge when in the ark, but if in legal guardian position should not be called for a foul.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Rivershark, I think we were at the same game ;) It was a bang-bang play last night...secondary defender was barely inside arc. There was a lot of contact and a call had to be made
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Rivershark » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:13 pm

d_fense wrote:A number of things coming to play. If the player that was run into by the offense of player in your situation was in a legal guarding position, but had a foot in the lane, it cannot be called a charge if it was a secondary defender, but also should not be called a blocking foul. It should have been a no call. If the player that was run into was the primary defender of the man with the ball, and was legal guardian position, it should've been a charge. The restricted arc only applies to secondary defenders. The primary defender may draw a charge call when standing in the restricted arc. A secondary defender cannot draw a charge when in the ark, but if in legal guardian position should not be called for a foul.

I feel like I'm reading some tax code here. If that's the case, this ref was pretty sharp to make that call in a split second. It might be a good idea to share that information with fans. Maybe put something in the program explaining the rule, why the rule was needed and also the names and phone numbers of the individuals who vote these changes in.
Rivershark
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Rivershark wrote:What is everyone's thoughts on the no charge semi-circle in high school basketball? I watched a game last night where the offensive player comes barreling into the lane out of control, runs into the guy that had one foot inside the semi-circle and ends up drawing the blocking foul. Do both feet have to be behind the circle or just one? Is this really necessary in high school basketball? What ever happened to pulling up and taking the jump shot?

you dont want to pull up and take a jumper when you could literally get one of their players in foul trouble, knowing you have a foul to give, potentially getting a three point play if you make the layup....I like the circle if called right.....there were days when charging was called way to far under the basket giving a defender to much time to set when offensive player was already in the air.....the semi circle helps in that scenario.........last night Lebron had his left heal slightly on the line and it was a blocking foul after looking at tape it puts it in cut and dried mode in that league

in Class B its a little harder to know for sure (like a three or two pointer on that line) but at least it helps a lot I believe
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm

http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/2016_17_Spo ... a_Rule.pdf

Class A used it the past 2 seasons...and it cut down on the confusion of charges being called under the hoop...MN needs this change too!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wildcatfan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:08 pm

With the athletes that are playing today, totally agree with this rule! Seen way too many charges called the last few years where the help side defense stand UNDER the hoop or worse behind the basket and the officials call a charge. Seen a lot of athletes that can take off away from the basket and lay it in, but get called with a charging foul, I like the kids with the running floaters, but get punished then get a charging call with defenders under the basket. GOOD RULE change
wildcatfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wem » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:02 am

I couldn't disagree more judging from the season so far. Don't know how the quality of officials differ from class A n B, but at the B level the officials have no idea how to call this. Most of the calls ive seen they still call it wrong, even after huddling up. I'm not being critical of refs, I actually think they do a good job, but the rules continue to make things more complicated. They already have so much to watch for, Why make them decide if it was a primary or secondary defender. Get rid of that stupid little circle under the basket, and let them call it as they see it. Bad rule change. Whats next!
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:35 am

saw one friday night where the call was made as a blocking foul.... basket went in player was going to the line for an "and one" and the refs conversed and then reversed the call to a charge and no bucket....initial call was made by ref under the basket closest to the play and the ref out on parimeter changed the call.....very confusing
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:48 am

Trail guy sometimes will have a better angle on where the defender's feet are.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby wem » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:58 am

Seen it again tonight. The refs continue to be confused how to call this, which I am too until watching tape. Who and where this come from? Like I said before, save our refs from all the criticisiam and get rid of it.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 pm

wem wrote:Seen it again tonight. The refs continue to be confused how to call this, which I am too until watching tape. Who and where this come from? Like I said before, save our refs from all the criticisiam and get rid of it.

When this was implemented a long time official told me this just makes his job harder.

I don't have a strong opinion on it, if it went away I wouldn't care. I watch more girls than boys so it's less of an issue in girls.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys