NEW: 16-17 region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: NEW: 16-17 region 1

Postby wan2bqb » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Sparty48 wrote:
wem wrote:WAN; I was at MNS-Hankinson game. MNS shouldn't get there hopes up defensively based on Hankinson game. The Pirates are probably the worst team in the region against a zone defense. They try and jam it inside at the cost of turning it over. This team is one of the disappointments in region 1 right now.

If Hankenson is the biggest disappointment what team is the greatest surprise?

Easily Wyndmere-Lidgerwood.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:44 pm

wan2bqb wrote:
Sparty48 wrote:
wem wrote:WAN; I was at MNS-Hankinson game. MNS shouldn't get there hopes up defensively based on Hankinson game. The Pirates are probably the worst team in the region against a zone defense. They try and jam it inside at the cost of turning it over. This team is one of the disappointments in region 1 right now.

If Hankenson is the biggest disappointment what team is the greatest surprise?

Easily Wyndmere-Lidgerwood.

W-L or Richland IMO...I didn't have either team in my Top 6 at beginning of season.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sparty48 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:55 pm

1.OG
2.Richland
3.NC
4.M/NS
5.W/L
That should be the top 5 right?
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Sparty48 wrote:1.OG
2.Richland
3.NC
4.M/NS
5.W/L
That should be the top 5 right?

Richland plays WL on 24th so that could shift this a bit
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Sparty48 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Who do you got for this Monday? IMO
Northern Cass @ Kindred= Kindred puts up a fight, but NC pulls away at end of the game.
Maple Valley @ Oak Grove= Oak Grove is on a hot streak, so OG by 20
Milnor-North Sargent @ Enderlin= M/NS to powerful against weak Enderlin
Lisbon @ Central Cass= Central Cass got 2 wins in a row make it 3
Wyndmere-LIdgerwood @ Tri-State= Tri state fights gets close and dies in 4th, W/L makes run wins by 14
Sargent Central @ Richland= Richland on a Hot streak, should win big tonight, for 6 in a row..
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 pm

OG def. MV 74-49
M-NS def. Enderlin 87-80
NC def. Kindred 67-57
W-L def. Tri-State 54-40
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby leroybla » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:OG def. MV 74-49
M-NS def. Enderlin 87-80
NC def. Kindred 67-57
W-L def. Tri-State 54-40

CC 46, Lisbon 31
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby imjustafan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 pm

leroybla wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:OG def. MV 74-49
M-NS def. Enderlin 87-80
NC def. Kindred 67-57
W-L def. Tri-State 54-40

CC 46, Lisbon 31

Richland 63-Sargent Central 41
imjustafan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:42 am

M-NS def. Enderlin 87-80

Lot of points....good game to watch?
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:58 pm

winner-within wrote:M-NS def. Enderlin 87-80

According to the box score online...LOTS of fouls were called!

Enderlin got out to a 22-9 lead after 1st Q and M-NS stormed back in Quarter 2 (27-14). M-NS pulled away in 4th Q!

http://www.maxpreps.com/games/basketbal ... HD0L5g.htm
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Horrible game to watch! Allowed the inside game to become a charge to the hoop throw you body into the defender and you'll get rewarded with free throws kind of game. But if your outside of 15ft don't put a hand on anyone. Tough game to enjoy, tough game to play I'm sure. Officials have a horrible job in that someone is going to be upset 60% of the time. I understand that and don't envy it. But consistency is the key, call it one way and stick with it, These kids are not in the NBA so a travel should be a travel, a carry should be a carry, and a foul is a foul, whether it gives you an advantage or not. To hear a ref say he didn't gain an advantage by it makes me think is it their job to be impartial enforcers of the rules, or to decide when the rules needs to be applied??? I have said it before and will again when we have three refs to often I hear a ref says its not my call. If you see it call it whether its someone else's area or not. Ok enough complaining. I thought Enderlin came out with nothing to lose and played loose to start the game. Peter is a load if he can bang inside, and Chance Bye can shoot the lights out if not challenged.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:05 pm

wan2bqb wrote:

These kids are not in the NBA so a travel should be a travel, a carry should be a carry, and a foul is a foul, whether it gives you an advantage or not. To hear a ref say he didn't gain an advantage by it makes me think is it their job to be impartial enforcers of the rules, or to decide when the rules needs to be applied??? I have said it before and will again when we have three refs to often I hear a ref says its not my call. If you see it call it whether its someone else's area or not.

I have heard so many officials say this as well, so I decided to do a little reading in the rule book. The only place I could find advantage or any form of the word was in the Intentional foul where it mentioned the word advantageous when describing a situation that would be an intentional foul. I don't know when officials decided that there has to be an advantage gained to be a foul. The rule book is pretty cut and dry when it comes to what is a foul and what isn't.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby wan2bqb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:55 pm

The Schwab wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:

These kids are not in the NBA so a travel should be a travel, a carry should be a carry, and a foul is a foul, whether it gives you an advantage or not. To hear a ref say he didn't gain an advantage by it makes me think is it their job to be impartial enforcers of the rules, or to decide when the rules needs to be applied??? I have said it before and will again when we have three refs to often I hear a ref says its not my call. If you see it call it whether its someone else's area or not.

I have heard so many officials say this as well, so I decided to do a little reading in the rule book. The only place I could find advantage or any form of the word was in the Intentional foul where it mentioned the word advantageous when describing a situation that would be an intentional foul. I don't know when officials decided that there has to be an advantage gained to be a foul. The rule book is pretty cut and dry when it comes to what is a foul and what isn't.

My thought exactly. I think when they start interpreting the rules to mean advantage it truly becomes a disadvantage to the stronger team. Stronger players start to not get some calls because they should be better and can handle that. Or get away with something because they must not have fouled because they are athletically superior. I don't think refs intentionally try sway the game one way or the other but I do think sometimes they say if I call this foul or that foul this game could get out of hand, or if I don't let him make some kind of contact this kid is gonna eat him alive. I will not say they are trying to sway the game in favor of one team or another. But I will say that sometimes the stronger team is held to a higher standard. Just my 2 cents.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:51 pm

I think there are a few things happening with officiating at high school level. With the lack of refs, the same ones see the same team way to often which leads to way to many anticipation fouls.
The big atheletic kid in the post is allowed to be held, bodied, spit on, stepped on etc. just because of who they are. (I'm stretching it but you get my point)
As for guards, if they are good defensively and refs have seen them a few times, they get penalized for aggressiveness and being in the face of the offense. To many ticky, tacky fouls.
Although what I will say is the real good referees are getting it right, so hopefully the region tournaments show this. I'm sure it will.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm

wan2bqb wrote:

Horrible game to watch! Allowed the inside game to become a charge to the hoop throw you body into the defender and you'll get rewarded with free throws kind of game. But if your outside of 15ft don't put a hand on anyone. Tough game to enjoy, tough game to play I'm sure. Officials have a horrible job in that someone is going to be upset 60% of the time. I understand that and don't envy it. But consistency is the key, call it one way and stick with it, These kids are not in the NBA so a travel should be a travel, a carry should be a carry, and a foul is a foul, whether it gives you an advantage or not. To hear a ref say he didn't gain an advantage by it makes me think is it their job to be impartial enforcers of the rules, or to decide when the rules needs to be applied??? I have said it before and will again when we have three refs to often I hear a ref says its not my call. If you see it call it whether its someone else's area or not. Ok enough complaining. I thought Enderlin came out with nothing to lose and played loose to start the game. Peter is a load if he can bang inside, and Chance Bye can shoot the lights out if not challenged.

I watched the game. I'm not sure what you mean in your second sentence. IMO this is what I saw and thought of the officials calls. I thought way to much contact was aloud on shooters after driving to the hoop. Chance was knocked to the ground twice on plays at the basket (I believe he made both shots) and fouls where not called on either play. On a third layup he made when he didn't go to the ground he was also fouled with no call being made. Jake was also the recipient of fouls on two shots after drives where he was knocked to the ground with no foul called, but he didn't make the shots. On the other hand in the post the offensive player was aloud to fake and fake and fake. When the defender wouldn't bite, fouls would be called when the offensive player would jump into the defender who was standing, 2 feet both on the ground, with their hands above their ears.

Following up on the piling up on officials. One "explanation" that drives me nuts is when officials make the motion of bringing vertical hands down. As if to say the defender put their hands forward to impede to offensive player. There is no question that this does happen sometimes. However, more often than not, defenders hands remain vertical until the offensive player jumps into the defender in the shoulder area, which dislodges the defender. This moves the defender back. Even if their hands remain in the same spot, they look like they have been brought down because their shoulders have been knocked back. It should be a no call or charge.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:27 pm

d_fense wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:

I watched the game. I'm not sure what you mean in your second sentence. IMO this is what I saw and thought of the officials calls. I thought way to much contact was aloud on shooters after driving to the hoop. Chance was knocked to the ground twice on plays at the basket (I believe he made both shots) and fouls where not called on either play. On a third layup he made when he didn't go to the ground he was also fouled with no call being made. Jake was also the recipient of fouls on two shots after drives where he was knocked to the ground with no foul called, but he didn't make the shots. On the other hand in the post the offensive player was aloud to fake and fake and fake. When the defender wouldn't bite, fouls would be called when the offensive player would jump into the defender who was standing, 2 feet both on the ground, with their hands above their ears.

Following up on the piling up on officials. One "explanation" that drives me nuts is when officials make the motion of bringing vertical hands down. As if to say the defender put their hands forward to impede to offensive player. There is no question that this does happen sometimes. However, more often than not, defenders hands remain vertical until the offensive player jumps into the defender in the shoulder area, which dislodges the defender. This moves the defender back. Even if their hands remain in the same spot, they look like they have been brought down because their shoulders have been knocked back. It should be a no call or charge.

Allowed the inside game to become a charge to the hoop throw you body into the defender and you'll get rewarded with free throws kind of game.
I guess my wording could have been better, as you can see I was referring to the INSIDE game. What I was referring to was allowing the offensive player to bull through a well positioned defender and draw contact. I probably could have worded better. On the plays with Chance you refer to I haven't watced on film but to me they appeared to be flops, looking for a call. As for Jake I think he was the recipient of my other issue, I believe the refs allowed more contact because if they called a real foul Jake could have went to the hole under control and ended up on the line all night. Another one of my complaints about how the game is called. If its a foul call it.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Remaining Schedule of Region 1 AND Standings - 02/17/17

STANDINGS
1. Oak Grove 10-1
Northern Cass 10-2
Richland 9-2
4. Milnor-North Sargent 9-3
Lidgerwood-Wyndmere 8-3
6. Hankinson 7-5
7. Kindred 6-5
8. Central Cass 5-6
Lisbon 3-8
Maple Valley 2-9
Tri-State 2-9
Sargent Central 1-10
Enderlin 1-10

Friday, February 24th
Lisbon @ Oak Grove
Tri-State @ Central Cass
Maple Valley @ Enderlin
Wyndmere-Lidgerwood @ Richland
Sargent Central @ Kindred
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ChickenWing » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 am

Some big games tonight. I have all the home teams winning. Maple Valley vs. Enderlin will be a good game, but I do not think Maple Valley will be able to stop Lingren. I saw them against Lisbon and it wasn't pretty. Richland vs. W-L is also a very interesting game. Richland either gets the 2 or 5 seed. W-L either gets 3 or 5 seed. I think Richland is just too hot right now. Either way you are in a tough bracket with M-NS or Northern Cass.
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby TheOneTheOnly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:09 am

REGION 1
@ NDSCS
February 28th; March 6th, 7th & 9th

Tuesday, February 28th
G1: #8 Central Cass (9-11) vs. #9 Maple Valley (9-11)
G2: #4 Milnor-North Sargent (17-3) vs. #13 Enderlin (5-15)
G3: #5 Lidgerwood-Wyndmere (14-6) vs. #12 Sargent Central (5-15)
G4: #7 Kindred (12-8) vs. #10 Lisbon (6-14)
G5: #6 Hankinson (15-5) vs. #11 Tri-State (6-14)

Monday, March 6th
G6: #1 (8) Oak Grove (16-4) vs. #8 Central Cass
G7: #4 Milnor-North Sargent vs. #5 Lidgerwood-Wyndmere
G8: #2 (RV) Richland (16-4) vs. #7 Kindred
G9: #3 (RV) Northern Cass (16-4) vs. #6 Hankinson

Tuesday, March 8th
G10: #1 (8) Oak Grove vs. #4 Milnor-North Sargent
G11:#2 (RV) Richland vs. #6 Hankinson

Thursday, March 9th
3rd Place: #6 Hankinson vs. #1 (8) Oak Grove
Championship: #2 (RV) Richland vs. #4 Milnor-North Sargent
TheOneTheOnly
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sparty48 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 am

TheOneTheOnly wrote:REGION 1
@ NDSCS
February 28th; March 6th, 7th & 9th

Tuesday, February 28th
G1: #8 Central Cass (9-11) vs. #9 Maple Valley (9-11)

Monday, March 6th
G6: #1 (8) Oak Grove (16-4) vs. #8 Central Cass

Tuesday, March 8th
G10: #1 (8) Oak Grove vs. #4 Milnor-North Sargent
G11:#2 (RV) Richland vs. #6 Hankinson

Thursday, March 9th
3rd Place: #6 Hankinson vs. #1 (8) Oak Grove
Championship: #2 (RV) Richland vs. #4 Milnor-North Sargent

Thats a Bold Prediction: I think Hankinson beats NC tho, then it will be a rematch of Hank and Richland, i would like to see that game.
Last edited by Sparty48 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Tuesday, February 28th
G1: #8 Central Cass (9-11) vs. #9 Maple Valley (9-11) (currently in progress)

Monday, March 6th
G6: #1 (8) Oak Grove (16-4) vs. winner of Central Cass/Maple Valley

Tuesday, March 8th
G10: #1 Oak Grove vs. #4 Milnor-North Sargent
G11: #7 Kindred vs. #6 Hankinson

Thursday, March 9th
3rd Place: #1 Oak Grove vs. #7 Kindred
Championship: #4 Milnor-North Sargent vs. #6 Hankinson

My bracket is a little wild, but I believe Hankinson has what it takes. There will be several upsets and this is going to be a great tournament - just look at GM 1 as it's going down to the wire.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sparty48 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:35 am

IMO
Monday, March 6th
G6: #1 (8) Oak Grove (16-4) vs. Maple Valley

Tuesday, March 8th
G11: #2 Richland vs. #6 Hankinson

Thursday, March 9th
3rd Place: #4 Milnor-North Sargent vs. #6 Hankinson
Championship: #1 Oak Grove vs. #2 Richland

I Think it will be a battle in the Championship game but Richland loses by 4. Oak Grove to powerful
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 am

Monday, March 6th
G6: #1 (8) Oak Grove (16-4) vs. #9 Maple Valley

Tuesday, March 8th
G11: #3 Northern Cass vs. #7 Kindred

Thursday, March 9th
3rd Place: #1 Oak Grove vs. #7 Kindred
Championship: #4 Milnor-North Sargent vs. #3 Northern Cass
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:44 pm

G6: #1 (8) Oak Grove (16-4) vs. Maple Valley
Oak Grove will likely win handily. OG beat MV by 25 in their regular season match up. I consider MV to be very well coached. It may keep them in the game for a time. But, OG should be pulling away before halftime.

WL won the regular season overtime matchup in a low scoring affair, 37 all after 4 quarters. MNS moved Hanson off the point in the game which contributed to the low score. WL has lost 2 of their last 3, and didn’t look very good against Sargent Central in their 1st regional game. I expect a close game through the first half with MNS pulling away for a double digit victory.

Richland owns a 54-52 home victory over Kindred in the regular season. A number of people have predicted Richland winning the region. I would be shocked if that were to happen. I think this is the game that is most likely to have the lower seed get the victory. Richland has been on a nice roll, but in watching them play, IMO some of it is playing people at the right time/luck. In what I see as the best game of the day, I’ll go with Kindred in a close one.

There are reasons to go with each team. NC has lost 3 of their last 4, including a 11 point loss to Hankinson on this floor 17 days earlier. Hankinson has also has played 2 games since their win over NC, while this will be NC’s first game since their loss to Hankinson. On the other hand, NC’s team is much more talented when just looking at individual players. Nearly all NC’s players were instrumental in their state playoff run last year, while Hankinson’s team plays only 2 players that their team counted on last year. I typically cheer for the underdog and like to see different teams make it to state. My head says NC while my heart is saying Hankinson. I’m going with my head in a close game.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:35 am

d_fense, what games did you watch that Richland got lucky at, I seen every game, they have three freshman that play a big role, they have grew up through the year, plus a sophomore.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys