NEW: 16-17 region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: NEW: 16-17 region 1

Postby ChickenWing » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:29 am

M/NS and Northern Cass this weekend. Any predictions? I got Northern Cass by 8. Big game from Logan Nelson.
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cmplx6 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:40 am

Milnor/North Sargent by 2 points. Northern Cass will attempt a 3 to win at the end instead of taking an easy two for the tie and OT.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 am

It should be a good game. Last year NC won on a pull up 15 footer with 4 or 5 seconds remaining. I do think MNS is better than last year, while NC isn't quite as good as last year at this point of the season. However, NC plays very well at home and this game will be a home contest for them... They have 3 common opponents this season. FSHP, Lisbon, and MV. MNS has played these teams 5 times while NC has played them 3. Vs MV both teams own a 3 point win and MNS has also won a game by 12 vs MV. NC's average margin of victory has been 10.6 points (73-62) while MNS's average victory has been by 17.2 (71-53) against these 3 teams.

This being said, I think NC will get this contest in a hard fought close game. I do think they will match up again in the regional tourney where the neutral court and larger floor may play in MNS's favor.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 pm

I like NC at home but it's razor close. Wish I could see Nelson and Hanson go at it. In a game this close, I usually go with the team with the best player, which to me is Jake Hanson. But I think the home court tilts this contest slightly in the Jaguars favor.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:24 pm

I've not seen NC but was underwhelmed with MNS and Hanson in particular, with all the accolades I've read here. I say NC by 10 at home.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:24 am

leroybla wrote:I've not seen NC but was underwhelmed with MNS and Hanson in particular, with all the accolades I've read here. I say NC by 10 at home.

Can you explain to me what about Hanson has underwhelmed you? He is point guard on a team that is 11-1 with 3 players averaging in double figures and one at just under 9ppg. Hanson's stat line goes like this 24.9ppg on 67% shooting and 40% from 3 point range. 7.8rpg, 5.8apg,2.3spg with 15 turnovers in 12 games for a 1.25tpg average on a team that is scoring just a shade under 72ppg. I would say those stats are fairly solid. Now don't get me wrong I think Logan Nelson is definitely a contender, as is Cody Mauch, and if Wyndmere- Lidgerwood continues to play world beater (they have a tough task with Northern Cass tonight) I think some consideration will have to be given to Alix Wisnewski because he is the glue that has that team playing way better than anyone expected. Also Hunter Smith from Maple Valley because without him I think they are not even a .500 team. There are many others but right now its Jake, Logan and Cody. And for me in that order.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:22 pm

IMO-top players in region 1
1.cody mauch
2.logan nelson
3.andrew christianson
4.nick mauch
5.maybe jacob hanson
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:31 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:IMO-top players in region 1
1.cody mauch
2.logan nelson
3.andrew christianson
4.nick mauch
5.maybe jacob hanson

Ok, with all due respect, I think we can fairly question the credibility of anyone who thinks Jake Hanson is MAYBE one of the top 5 kids in the region. He is one of the best 5 players in the STATE.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Well he struggled against a "bottom tier" central cass team earlier this week until he got to the line.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I will be watching tonight, then I will come back with my top five again tomorrow . Its not that I don't think Jacob is a good player I think he is very talented, I've been watching for years Region 1 players grow up, its just my opinion.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:13 pm

Big Blue wrote:Well he struggled against a "bottom tier" central cass team earlier this week until he got to the line.

I think you are off calling CC a “bottom tier” team. I had them ranked 6th in the region after last week, and I wouldn’t change that now. I really think they have a very good chance to beat Hankinson tonight.
CC has lost to Thompson when they were ranked at Thompson by 12.
They fell to Grafton at CC by 3 while Grafton was receiving votes.
They lost to Carrington by 8 while Carrington was undefeated and ranked 8th.
They lost to Linton HMB by 5 in Jamestown with is like a home game for LHMB (ranked 8th with 1 loss).
Now they lost to MNS at home by 11 while MNS is receiving votes.
That is 4 losses to teams that have been ranked in the top 10 and one loss to a team that has been receiving votes in every poll this year. Looking at scores, none of these teams had a better showing against the Squirrels than MNS. Thompson beat them by one more point, but that was a home game for Thompson.

As far as Jake struggling against CC, I am not sure I would say that either. He was 1 point shy of leading the team in scoring, while taking less than 1/5 of the shots attempted by MNS in the game. He lead the team in assists and was also second leading re-bounder with 1 fewer than the leader.

How often do you see a teams best player take less than 1/5th of a teams shots? It is pretty rare in my recollection. I think he just did what he thought he had to do. His teammates were playing well, why force things against a good team when you don't need to?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:15 pm

d_fense wrote:How often do you see a teams best player take less than 1/5th of a teams shots? It is pretty rare in my recollection. I think he just did what he thought he had to do. His teammates were playing well, why force things against a good team when you don't need to?

Sounds like a pretty savvy player to me, yet we want to hold that against him as a player?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:23 pm

d_fense wrote:
Big Blue wrote:Well he struggled against a "bottom tier" central cass team earlier this week until he got to the line.

I think you are off calling CC a “bottom tier” team. I had them ranked 6th in the region after last week, and I wouldn’t change that now. I really think they have a very good chance to beat Hankinson tonight.
CC has lost to Thompson when they were ranked at Thompson by 12.
They fell to Grafton at CC by 3 while Grafton was receiving votes.
They lost to Carrington by 8 while Carrington was undefeated and ranked 8th.
They lost to Linton HMB by 5 in Jamestown with is like a home game for LHMB (ranked 8th with 1 loss).
Now they lost to MNS at home by 11 while MNS is receiving votes.
That is 4 losses to teams that have been ranked in the top 10 and one loss to a team that has been receiving votes in every poll this year. Looking at scores, none of these teams had a better showing against the Squirrels than MNS. Thompson beat them by one more point, but that was a home game for Thompson.

As far as Jake struggling against CC, I am not sure I would say that either. He was 1 point shy of leading the team in scoring, while taking less than 1/5 of the shots attempted by MNS in the game. He lead the team in assists and was also second leading re-bounder with 1 fewer than the leader.

How often do you see a teams best player take less than 1/5th of a teams shots? It is pretty rare in my recollection. I think he just did what he thought he had to do. His teammates were playing well, why force things against a good team when you don't need to?

It was tongue in cheek. Mostly referring to the fact that I thought you were pretty harsh about Central Cass earlier in the season. I think they are going to be dangerous come tournament time. Jake is a very nice all-around player. There is no question about that.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:07 pm

1.cody mauch
2.logan nelson
3.andrew christianson
4.nick mauch
5.maybe jacob hanson

Jake Hanson
24.9ppg on 67% shooting and 40% from 3 point range. 7.8rpg, 5.8apg,2.3spg with 15 turnovers in 12 games for a 1.25tpg average on a team that is scoring just a shade under 72ppg. Is all I have to say to this. Find me one on the list above that beats those stats and I will not refer to you as ridiculous. Just making my point.

Cody is the best big man in the region bar none, and a man among boys out there, but needs someone to get him the ball. Cannot facilitate for himself.

Logan is a great scorer and can shoot and get to the rim. Not as effective in space on defense because of his length and maybe not as quick, but will get better in college. Maybe best college prospect of the group.

Andrew is a great shooter and will be a top player on my list next year, but this year I would say he wouldn't be higher than 7th or 8th on my list.

Nick is the best true point guard in the region because in my world I believe a point guard should distribute and drive and dish get to the rim and knock down the outside shot when needed. You won't find a kid with more heart and hustle but I think one on one against other top defenders, if they didn't have to worry about him passing, he would struggle.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:15 pm

I don't think I was harsh regarding CC. My opinion on them hasn't changed since before the season started. I have always felt they were a 6-7 team in the region. I thought, and still think it was wrong to have them ranked early in the season. Reason being, there were clearly teams that were starting the season returning more proven rosters. A team can absolutely go from a 6-7 in a strong region to the top of a region, especially a large school with a big talent pool. But, it takes time and experience that you gain through a season. That is why I thought it was dumb that they were receiving votes early. They still have time to get into the top 3-4 in the region. But I still consider them a dangerous 6.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby leroybla » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:25 pm

I've only seen one game (Central Cass) that Jake Hanson played this year. Hanson finished with 11 points on lackluster inside and outside shooting (1-2pt, 1- 3pt, and 6-10 from the line, nearly all in foul time near the end of the game). Was defended one on one. For me, the hype didn't measure up to this performance.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby leroybla » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:31 pm

d_fense wrote:I don't think I was harsh regarding CC. My opinion on them hasn't changed since before the season started. I have always felt they were a 6-7 team in the region. I thought, and still think it was wrong to have them ranked early in the season. Reason being, there were clearly teams that were starting the season returning more proven rosters. A team can absolutely go from a 6-7 in a strong region to the top of a region, especially a large school with a big talent pool. But, it takes time and experience that you gain through a season. That is why I thought it was dumb that they were receiving votes early. They still have time to get into the top 3-4 in the region. But I still consider them a dangerous 6.

CC has yet to play a team with a losing record. And still have Hankinson, Hillsboro CV, Maple Valley, Oak Grove and Northern Cass on their schedule. They have not been blown out yet this year. (Maybe Richland, I don't recall the score). It would be wrong to overlook CC in Region 1. There are no pushovers in Region 1 this year.
Last edited by leroybla on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:54 pm

wan2bqb wrote:
1.cody mauch
2.logan nelson
3.andrew christianson
4.nick mauch
5.maybe jacob hanson

Jake Hanson
24.9ppg on 67% shooting and 40% from 3 point range. 7.8rpg, 5.8apg,2.3spg with 15 turnovers in 12 games for a 1.25tpg average on a team that is scoring just a shade under 72ppg. Is all I have to say to this. Find me one on the list above that beats those stats and I will not refer to you as ridiculous. Just making my point.

Cody is the best big man in the region bar none, and a man among boys out there, but needs someone to get him the ball. Cannot facilitate for himself.

Logan is a great scorer and can shoot and get to the rim. Not as effective in space on defense because of his length and maybe not as quick, but will get better in college. Maybe best college prospect of the group.

Andrew is a great shooter and will be a top player on my list next year, but this year I would say he wouldn't be higher than 7th or 8th on my list.

Nick is the best true point guard in the region because in my world I believe a point guard should distribute and drive and dish get to the rim and knock down the outside shot when needed. You won't find a kid with more heart and hustle but I think one on one against other top defenders, if they didn't have to worry about him passing, he would struggle.

Maybe??? That is an absurd statement. One could put Nelson or C Mauch in front him in there rankings, but after that I don't know what you're watching. He has a stat line that very few can put up, but IMO still defers to much to his teammates.
And as for the CCass game I'm assuming Garrett Prante was guarding him, can't say for sure though as I wasn't there. In the games that I have watched of CCass though he is the player that has impressed me the most. You wouldn't think much of him by looking at him, but he is one of the better defenders I have seen, and can definitely surprise a team with offense as well.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:19 pm

Cap'n Crunch wrote:
wan2bqb wrote:
1.cody mauch
2.logan nelson
3.andrew christianson
4.nick mauch
5.maybe jacob hanson

Jake Hanson

Maybe??? That is an absurd statement. One could put Nelson or C Mauch in front him in there rankings, but after that I don't know what you're watching. He has a stat line that very few can put up, but IMO still defers to much to his teammates.
And as for the CCass game I'm assuming Garrett Prante was guarding him, can't say for sure though as I wasn't there. In the games that I have watched of CCass though he is the player that has impressed me the most. You wouldn't think much of him by looking at him, but he is one of the better defenders I have seen, and can definitely surprise a team with offense as well.

My point exactly. Find me another guy putting up his stats and I'll be impressed. Until then its a three man race and Jake is leading the way.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 am

cooper lingen averaging 25 pts in region play, out played Jacob last night but milnor won in a close one
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ChickenWing » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:51 am

Hanson was also out most of the game with foul trouble. Region is a mess. Lisbon took Maple Valley to OT. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood continues to play well losing to NC by one. Kindred took down Oak Grove. It's going to be a great tournament.
ChickenWing
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:14 am

How much did Hanson sit out? I saw on maxpreps he put up 21 pts (7-11 fg). Speaking of maxpreps, why doesn't every team in the state utilize this as a way to disseminate their stats and box scores?
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby leroybla » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:16 am

ChickenWing wrote:Hanson was also out most of the game with foul trouble. Region is a mess. Lisbon took Maple Valley to OT. Wyndmere-Lidgerwood continues to play well losing to NC by one. Kindred took down Oak Grove. It's going to be a great tournament.

CC lost at Hankinson by 3.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 am

Cap'n Crunch wrote:How much did Hanson sit out? I saw on maxpreps he put up 21 pts (7-11 fg). Speaking of maxpreps, why doesn't every team in the state utilize this as a way to disseminate their stats and box scores?

Because not every school has statisticians (or reliable ones) to post them...AND its not enforced to do so.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wan2bqb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 am

Cap'n Crunch wrote:How much did Hanson sit out? I saw on maxpreps he put up 21 pts (7-11 fg). Speaking of maxpreps, why doesn't every team in the state utilize this as a way to disseminate their stats and box scores?

I would wager that Hanson would be lucky to have played 15 minutes. 2 fouls in the first and out. 3rd foul early in the second sat out until half. Got one in the 3rd for four and back to the bench. And fouled out with about 4:30 to go in the game. Don't think I have ever seen fouls call called as inconsistently. Super touchy calls on both ends. I wont say if was worse one way or the other just inconsistent. Good win for M-NS without their field general on the court. Was a 12 point lead late in the fourth and Richland fought hard.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys