NEW: 16-17 region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

NEW: 16-17 region 1

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Other topic is getting slightly hi-jacked...so for people who want to discuss the BBB in Region 1...it can continue here.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: NEW: 16-17 region 1

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Let me make this clear. I think Region 1 is a lot of fun. From top to bottom it is extremely competitive. It's very tough to get out of, because there are a lot of good teams. But, I have heard for years it is one of the best if not the state's best region. While it had a nice two-year run, historically it has struggled which you can see below. Do you think the region is starting to turn the corner as far as being competitive at state?
2016: 5th
2015: 3rd
2014: 1st
2013: 1st
2012: 6th
2011: 5th
2010: 5th
2009: 4th
2008: 8th
2007: 6th
2006: 8th
2005: 8th
2004: 2nd
2003: 8th
2002: 6th
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoophoophoop » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:33 pm

I was just talking about this year, I really don't care what happen in the past, Region 1 will fall off a lot next year. Region is loaded this year that's all was saying, just because some other region wins state doesn't mean its a better region.
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:41 pm

Surprise loss for Northern Cass today to an unranked New Rockford-Sheyenne team. And a tough loss for Kindred to Larimore. Not a great day for Region 1 at hillsboro-holiday hoops.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 pm

I see hankinson pumped Midway-Minto. That's a good win for the Pirates who may be looking at quite a few votes this week in the poll.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jack Squad » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Big Blue wrote:I see hankinson pumped Midway-Minto. That's a good win for the Pirates who may be looking at quite a few votes this week in the poll.

Hankinson won 66-28. They dominated the entire game. The Mauch combination is scary. They each have the potential to score 30 points on any given night. Hankinson has won 6 games straight now since their game 1 loss to Northern Cass by 7
Surprised to see Northern Cass lose. Anyone at this game?

Region 1 is stacked this year! It is gonna be an excited year in the SE corner of the state.
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Jack Squad wrote:
Big Blue wrote:I see hankinson pumped Midway-Minto. That's a good win for the Pirates who may be looking at quite a few votes this week in the poll.

Hankinson won 66-28. They dominated the entire game. The Mauch combination is scary. They each have the potential to score 30 points on any given night. Hankinson has won 6 games straight now since their game 1 loss to Northern Cass by 7
Surprised to see Northern Cass lose. Anyone at this game?

Region 1 is stacked this year! It is gonna be an excited year in the SE corner of the state.

Northern Cass was flat and in foul trouble all game...Schafer (NR-S) went for 42 points!! Logan Nelson had a quiet 26...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:34 am

Remember norhten cass is missing one stud and another good three point shooter
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:50 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Remember norhten cass is missing one stud and another good three point shooter

Who are they missing?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack Squad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:10 am

hoophoophoop wrote:Remember norhten cass is missing one stud and another good three point shooter

I've always been a believer in you have to play with what you got. Yes, Northern Cass is missing some guys, but it happens to every team.
Jack Squad
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:35 pm

Jack Squad wrote:

I've always been a believer in you have to play with what you got. Yes, Northern Cass is missing some guys, but it happens to every team.

Yep other teams in the region/state have players down that would be huge to the teams' success...but you have to move past that and work with what you got
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:12 pm

bohmert, who signed with the bison(football)
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:19 pm

hoophoophoop wrote:bohmert, who signed with the bison(football)

Were you at the game? Brant played, and has been playing. He sat out maybe their first two games of the season. He has been playing well for NC.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:28 pm

d_fense wrote:
hoophoophoop wrote:bohmert, who signed with the bison(football)

Were you at the game? Brant played, and has been playing. He sat out maybe their first two games of the season. He has been playing well for NC.

Was in attendance...Bohmert had 9 points (3 3's) and 5 fouls (N. Nelson fouled out in 3rd Q & Bohmert in early 4th).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby hoophoophoop » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:04 pm

I knew was coming back shortly, assuming not in basketball shape yet, good to hear he's back. If you could find a box score anywhere it would be nice, Fargo forum is a joke, any input where you can find box scores, thanks
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:22 pm

After getting a chance to watch all but 1 team in the region play, I have put together my top players in the region list with changes from the one earlier in the year. Some of the boys on the list I have only watched once this season, so I can and likely will change the list again!

1. Jake Hanson, Sr. MNS- 30.2 p/g, 7.2 r/g, 6.8 ast/g while shooting 71% from 2, 47% from 3, and 87% free throws. Probably his best stat is he is averaging 1.81 points for every shot he is taking.
2. Logan Nelson, Sr. N.Cass- Logan is continuing on where he left off last season. Still deadly from 12-17 feet and leading a strong NC team.
3. Cody Mauch, Sr. Hankinson- Man among boys in the paint. Had 25 points and 23 rebounds in a game vs MPCG in a holiday shootout.
4. Andrew Christianson, Jr. OG- Andrew is by far my biggest mover from my 1st rankings. 21.2p/g, 7.2r/g, with 3.0ast/g. Andrew is shooting 45% from the field and 91% free throws. OG’s loss of their point guard Slagle (acl tear) has put more pressure on him and he is doing very well.
5. Peter Lindgren, Sr. Enderlin- 20.8p/g, 10.0r/g, and 5.7ast/g. The Eagles are struggling this season and a lot is falling on his plate. Peter is doing well but is struggling shooting 31% from the field with defenses putting so much effort into stopping him.
6. Nick Mauch, Sr. Hankinson- Nick has lead his team to a 7-1 start from the point guard spot. He has scored as many as 32 points vs N.Cass and has a game or two where he isn’t aggressive enough shooting. However his defense, ball handling, and passing are always on display. I moved Nick up slightly because he is so critical to his teams success.
7. Ethan Lingen, Sr. Kindred- Ethan is a good shooter shooter with length. Kindred has yet to get things going but I think they will.
8. Cooper Lingen, Sr. Richland- I must confess Richland is the only team in the region I have not seen play this season. Cooper is their best player and with a 4-1 record and a 18 ranking in the lastest QRF, I’m putting him here.
9. Bryce Bakkegard, Sr. OG- Bryce is shooting well once again hitting 3’s at a 42% clip. He is also playing very well on the defensive end.
10. Brant Bohmert, Sr. N.Cass- Brant is playing well as he returned from injury. Brant is such a strong athlete that most kids just can’t do things that he can.
11. Alex Wisnewski, Sr. WL- Alex is the do it all guy for WL. He is strong, experienced, skilled, and makes good decisions.
12. Adam Sakry, Sr. MNS- 12.2p/g, 5.8r/g, and 5.0ast/g. Adam is shooting 61% from 2 and 87% free throws. If Adam played better defence I would probably rank in the 5-6 range.
13. Nic k Nelson, Sr. N.Cass- Nick is a very good player, but in the games I have seen him play this year he has struggled with foul trouble. It’s difficult to be a positive factor when on the bench in foul trouble.
14. Hunter Smith, Jr. MV- Nice athlete who is handling the ball, shooting and defending at a level that puts him on my top players list.
15. Brock Benson, Sr. Kindred- Brock is my biggest slider. I am probably just being stubborn with putting Bock here. He is one of the top athletes in the region, but hasn’t played well when I have watched Kindred this year. With their team struggling a bit I was tempted to move him off my list but I’ll put him here for now.
Just missing my list….
Michael Uland and Garrett Prante both C.C. seniors. Their team is struggling but has played a pretty tough schedule. Jimmy Slagle OG senior who suffered an ACL tear in the first game of the year. Devon Foster OG senior who has had big impacts on games and not so big in others. It seems to be a product of whether they get him the ball or not. Drew Asche and Blake Nelson MNS seniors. Both are double figure scorers shooting 38% from 3 and 57% and 60% from 2.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 am

Do you think Central Cass' win over Wyndmere-Lidgerwood is a sign that the team is on the right track? After beating Ellendale and playing with so tight with Thompson and Grafton, I thought Central Cass had a decent start. But they had some bad losses after.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:44 am

I was a little shocked that CC beat Wyndmere-Lidgerwood by that much, I really thought it would go down to the wire. CC is a decent team, and as was mentioned before, neither they nor Lisbon had any business receiving votes earlier in the year. Now, if they can beat a Northern Cass, Hankinson, Milnor North Sargent, Oak Grove, or even Kindred; then you might change some minds. But I really don't see that happening with any of the above.

Their previous loss to Kindred wasn't a "bad" loss. They got manhandled by a team that would beat them 9/10 times, & Kindred was simply better. CC does have a very tough schedule this year, and their AD has to be commended for that. Ellendale, Carrington, HCV, Thompson, Grafton, Linton, etc. are all challenging non-conference games and most of the other Region 1 teams have easier non-conference schedules.

CC isn't the same team without Bresnahan from the previous years. They have some decent pieces for an average class B team and they will likely finish in the middle of Region 1. Their big guy is athletic and he can score, but he struggles against physical play. Their guard play is very average, and most of the Region 1 teams simply have better athletes who get to the hoop. CC plays a home game against Carrington Friday and it should be competitive, but I would be shocked if they get more than 6 wins the rest of the year.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:19 pm

Big Blue wrote:Do you think Central Cass' win over Wyndmere-Lidgerwood is a sign that the team is on the right track? After beating Ellendale and playing with so tight with Thompson and Grafton, I thought Central Cass had a decent start. But they had some bad losses after.

I don't think I would say they have had bad losses. Falling to Richland by 17 did surprise me and may be considered a bad loss by some, but I would say they were the underdog in every other game they have played. I think they will likely look back at their season and the highlight will be the win vs Ellendale in game one. I thought siouxfan was stretching it a little to say they would be lucky to win 6 of their remaining games. After looking they will be pretty sizable underdogs in 8 of their last 13 games. That is giving them he benefit of the doubt in their last game where the opponents have not been announced yet.

As far as their games vs Grafton and Thompson go, I think it is tough to go by those games. You never seem to know what you'll get vs out of region teams. I also would like to think their decent showing against them speaks to region ones strength. I think their best chance to get a game that would surprise some people would be against Carrington. It's a home game vs what I think is a team that is overrated and may be a little over confident after seeing C.Cass's record.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby hoophoophoop » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:39 pm

So kindred beats central casts, wyndmere beats kindred, cc beats w-l, Richland beats cc by 18, and all Richland gets is bad loss for cc, rich lands three freshman are starting to make impact, should be fun season
hoophoophoop
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Cap'n Crunch » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:31 pm

At the start of the year I felt that MNS would be my pick to represent region 1 at state. I felt they have the best all-around player (and still do) and that they had even more length and athleticism despite all that they lost to graduation last year, but after watching their showing against Maple Valley in the BCT that pick feels much less safe to me. The zone MV ran disabled MNS's ability to get to basket and they responded by chucking up deep 3's ten seconds into the shot clock. Now a few of their players are capable of getting hot and hitting from behind the arch, but their game is to work inside-out. They also ran a zone for most of the game that I thought hurt their transition opportunities, but maybe there was something I wasn't seeing. Was anyone at this game that cares to comment and give another perspective?

As for the region as a whole I think it is pretty up for grabs with NCass, MNS, OG and Hank still as the favorites. I have been surprised with Kindred's season thus far, but I heard that they're coach has had some health issues within his family so I don't know how much he has been with them this year. Central Cass has played a tough schedule thus far, and if they don't allow the losses to break their confidence will be tournament ready. I have yet to see Richland and W/L play this year, but from the scores I have seen they must be playing pretty well. And finally the last team that I believe can make some noise come tournament time is Maple Valley. They outplayed MNS and I believe they are one of if not the best coached team in the region. A lot of season left though, I can't wait to see how the rest of it shakes out.
Cap'n Crunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wan2bqb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 am

Cap'n Crunch wrote:At the start of the year I felt that MNS would be my pick to represent region 1 at state. I felt they have the best all-around player (and still do) and that they had even more length and athleticism despite all that they lost to graduation last year, but after watching their showing against Maple Valley in the BCT that pick feels much less safe to me. The zone MV ran disabled MNS's ability to get to basket and they responded by chucking up deep 3's ten seconds into the shot clock. Now a few of their players are capable of getting hot and hitting from behind the arch, but their game is to work inside-out. They also ran a zone for most of the game that I thought hurt their transition opportunities, but maybe there was something I wasn't seeing. Was anyone at this game that cares to comment and give another perspective?

As for the region as a whole I think it is pretty up for grabs with NCass, MNS, OG and Hank still as the favorites. I have been surprised with Kindred's season thus far, but I heard that they're coach has had some health issues within his family so I don't know how much he has been with them this year. Central Cass has played a tough schedule thus far, and if they don't allow the losses to break their confidence will be tournament ready. I have yet to see Richland and W/L play this year, but from the scores I have seen they must be playing pretty well. And finally the last team that I believe can make some noise come tournament time is Maple Valley. They outplayed MNS and I believe they are one of if not the best coached team in the region. A lot of season left though, I can't wait to see how the rest of it shakes out.

Agree on the assessment on M-NS I think the lack of competition early may have caused them to become lackadaisical. And the loss last night to W-L in ot might be what the Dr. ordered. Or it could spell out the real issue which appears in my opinion to be the tendency to play soft, settle for shots outside instead of attacking the rim and getting to the line. I think they will correct that issue and they are still one of my top 4 in the region. Maple Valley is showing they are much better than I expected playing M-NS tough and Northern Cass tough last night. Hunter Smith is a very good shooter and Kasowski plays good D as does the rest of their team. W-L has played great in a couple of games and not so much in a couple. I think they can give anyone fits of you let them stick around. Right now based on what I have seen I put the region like this:
1. Northern Cass- until someone beats them.... which will happen
2. Hankinson- Best big in the region
3. Oak Grove- Good shooting but rely on perimeter shooting too much for my liking
4. M-NS- Need to attack the basket more
5. Kindred- This is on talent alone I haven't seen it on game day....yet
6. Maple Valley- only three losses to the teams above them on the list #1 and #4 twice
7-8. Tie Richland and Wyndmere- Lidgerwood- Richland is playing solid D and so is W-L....but I don't know if they score well enough to be farther up
9. Central Cass- Havent seen enough to know but too many losses to be much higher
10. Lisbon- Just not deep enough to be any higher
11. Sargent Central- See above Wittish is a nice talent
12. Tri- State-Pools getting shallower
13. Enderlin- only a couple drops in the pool and they are too reliant on those two. Stop them you shut down the team.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby wem » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Maple Valley is a scary team for anybody to play. They have a top notch coaching staff, and there youth is only getting better. Region 1's preseason favorites better be ready, or they will take it to ya.
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:09 am

I would add Wyndmere-Lidgerwood to the list of Region 1 favorites that can beat anyone on any night. In their last two games they've beaten Milnor-North Sargent and Hankinson.

W-L plays about as good of defense as I've seen in the entire Region and they are very well-coached. On Friday, I witnessed them beat Hankinson and W-L just seemed to be way more prepared in this game. I attribute a lot of this to coaching, they know how to get their best players (Wisniewski & Harles) the ball and they have very good role players who get their hands up on defense. They play 8-10 kids and there is not much drop off on their bench. On the other hand, Hankinson made no adjustments with W-L's pressure defense. When you have the top post in the region, and probably the state, you have to find ways to get him the ball. When a kid is triple-teamed, there should always be two open shooters and Hankinson will need to figure this out if they want to win Region 1 this year.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby d_fense » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:12 pm

wan2bqb wrote:
Cap'n Crunch wrote:At the start of the year I felt that MNS would be my pick to represent region 1 at state. I felt they have the best all-around player (and still do) and that they had even more length and athleticism despite all that they lost to graduation last year, but after watching their showing against Maple Valley in the BCT that pick feels much less safe to me. The zone MV ran disabled MNS's ability to get to basket and they responded by chucking up deep 3's ten seconds into the shot clock. Now a few of their players are capable of getting hot and hitting from behind the arch, but their game is to work inside-out. They also ran a zone for most of the game that I thought hurt their transition opportunities, but maybe there was something I wasn't seeing. Was anyone at this game that cares to comment and give another perspective?

Agree on the assessment on M-NS I think the lack of competition early may have caused them to become lackadaisical. And the loss last night to W-L in ot might be what the Dr. ordered. Or it could spell out the real issue which appears in my opinion to be the tendency to play soft, settle for shots outside instead of attacking the rim and getting to the line. I think they will correct that issue and they are still one of my top 4 in the region. Maple Valley is showing they are much better than I expected playing M-NS tough and Northern Cass tough last night. Hunter Smith is a very good shooter and Kasowski plays good D as does the rest of their team. W-L has played great in a couple of games and not so much in a couple. I think they can give anyone fits of you let them stick around. Right now based on what I have seen I put the region like this:
1. Northern Cass- until someone beats them.... which will happen
2. Hankinson- Best big in the region
3. Oak Grove- Good shooting but rely on perimeter shooting too much for my liking
4. M-NS- Need to attack the basket more
5. Kindred- This is on talent alone I haven't seen it on game day....yet
6. Maple Valley- only three losses to the teams above them on the list #1 and #4 twice
7-8. Tie Richland and Wyndmere- Lidgerwood- Richland is playing solid D and so is W-L....but I don't know if they score well enough to be farther up
9. Central Cass- Havent seen enough to know but too many losses to be much higher
10. Lisbon- Just not deep enough to be any higher
11. Sargent Central- See above Wittish is a nice talent
12. Tri- State-Pools getting shallower
13. Enderlin- only a couple drops in the pool and they are too reliant on those two. Stop them you shut down the team.

I agree with a lot of what you both say. The MNS game vs MV was not well played by MNS. You are right about their offense. MV chased Jake and it just didn't look like they were prepared for it. MV is better than many people are giving them credit for. They have lost only 3 games, twice to MNS and once to Northern Cass by 3pts.

W/L has put together back to back nice games. I haven't watched their win over Hankinson yet, but in their win over MNS they were well prepared and stuck to their game plan even after falling down by 11 in the first half. After watching them 3 times, they are a very good example of a team that can win or loose to any team in the region. With the possible exception of the bottom 2 teams.

Right now I'd rank them like this...
1. NC
2. OG
3. MNS
4. Hankinson
5. MV
6. CC
7. W/L
8. Richland
9. Kindred
10. Lisbon
11. Enderlin