NEW: 16-17 region 1

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: NEW: 16-17 region 1

Postby Sparty48 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 am

WHO YOU GOT?
Today!!
Enderlin @ Oak Grove
Maple Valley @ Central Cass
Northern Cass @ Richland
Lisbon @ Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Hankinson @ Kindred
Sargent Central @ Tri-State
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby OKCfan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:58 am

OG over Enderlin 81-50
MV over CC 51-48
NC over Richland 71-62
W/L over Lisbon 55-47
Hankinson over Kindred 61-60
Tri-State over SC 56-50
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sparty48 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:11 am

OKCfan wrote:OG over Enderlin 81-50
MV over CC 51-48
NC over Richland 71-62
W/L over Lisbon 55-47
Tri-State over SC 56-50

Idk about MV over CC
and Hank over Kin, Hank has been struggling
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby OKCfan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:46 am

Sparty48 wrote:
MV over CC 51-48
NC over Richland 71-62
W/L over Lisbon 55-47
Tri-State over SC 56-50

Idk about MV over CC

No result other than Enderlin over OG tonight would be a surprise at this point the way Region 1 has been this season, right?
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Snoose84 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree with this being the most competitive region in the state but this weekends game between oak grove and northern Cass is a battle of the best horses in the region. NC has not lost in the region yet and they'll be the favorite at home. Top to bottom they have the best team!!
Snoose84
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sparty48 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 pm

OKCfan wrote:
Sparty48 wrote:
MV over CC 51-48
NC over Richland 71-62
W/L over Lisbon 55-47
Tri-State over SC 56-50

Idk about MV over CC

No result other than Enderlin over OG tonight would be a surprise at this point the way Region 1 has been this season, right?

Very True!! I mean Tri-state beat MV, and NC has been in some close games just found a way to win. Right now its a battle for 3rd place in the region. RHS,M/NS,Hank,W/L,Kind its anyones race.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 pm

Snoose84 wrote:I agree with this being the most competitive region in the state but this weekends game between oak grove and northern Cass is a battle of the best horses in the region. NC has not lost in the region yet and they'll be the favorite at home. Top to bottom they have the best team!!

I agree that these are the top 2 teams in the region right now. I do think that NC will win this game. I have watched NC play a number of times at home this year in person and on video. They are a much better shooting team at home than on the road. I have no stats to back this up, just the eye test. On the other hand I can say the same thing about Oak Grove. But, I do have stats to back that up. Oak Grove has shot an outstanding 56% on 3 point shots at home this season. That is the equivalent of shooting an unbelievable 84% from two point range. They have shot 69% vs M/NS and 67% vs Richland at home. It is not just a couple of games that have pushed their percentage up. In their poorest shooting 3 point effort at home they shot 45% (9-20) which is very good. On the road Oak Grove is shooting 34% from 3. That isn't a bad number. You can win a lot of games shooting 34% from 3. But, a 22% difference from playing at home to on the road or a neutral site is a huge number. The rest of the region should be happy that neither of these team will get to play the regional tournament at home. :)
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:26 pm

crazy stats
thanks for posting
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Central Cass 46, Maple Valley 31 at Casselton. CC led by double digits for 3 quarters
Richland 57, Northern Cass 43, at Richland.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:42 pm

I've noticed 2 or 3 Region 1 schools with the video scoreboards installed. How much do those cost?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby wem » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:39 am

Those are interesting stats defense. Thanks for the research. The 3 point shot has to be part of every teams offense now days, or you will not be successful. Old time basketball is over. The post is important, but needs to be played with the post feed, and kicking out for the 3. This also holds true for guard penetration and the kick out. The 3 is not part of the game, it is The Game!
wem
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sparty48 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 am

This region just got a whole lot more interesting with Richland beating Northern Cass, Richland must be the real deal. Plus heald NC to only 43pts? My god, it must have been a great game. NC needs to rebound from the loss quick, becuase a tough Oak Grove is coming into town on Friday..
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Hankinson's Cody Mauch had a nice stat sheet last night in Kindred... 34 pts, 18 rebounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, 1 steal.

In addition, the Pirates got some excellent contributions from their bench with Hayden Boll making three big 3's. Having an outside shooter really helps this team.

Last night was a great atmosphere for class B basketball and Kindred has a wonderful facility. This game could've went either way and these two are both pretty good teams. Benson from Kindred is a great athlete & Ethan Lingen is a very consistent player and a good shooter. Nick Mauch is Hankinson's floor general and he brings it every night. Cody is stronger than everyone else and he has very good ball skills for being 6'5".
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Big Blue » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:07 pm

To me, Tuesday evening showed what Region 1 is all about. A very competitive region with a lot of nice teams. On any given night a team in the lower middle part of the standings can beat anyone else. To me, it is the most competitive and deepest region. However, (cue the boos) it is not necessarily a very strong region as far as its top teams competing at the state tournament level. To be honest, I don't see a Region I team in the winner's bracket at the state. Because of how even everyone is, I think the teams will beat each other up pretty good. It will make for an exciting region tournament, but a letdown at state in my opinion.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:48 pm

UNDSiouxfan wrote:Hankinson's Cody Mauch had a nice stat sheet last night in Kindred... 34 pts, 18 rebounds, 6 blocks, 3 assists, 1 steal.

In addition, the Pirates got some excellent contributions from their bench with Hayden Boll making three big 3's. Having an outside shooter really helps this team.

Last night was a great atmosphere for class B basketball and Kindred has a wonderful facility. This game could've went either way and these two are both pretty good teams. Benson from Kindred is a great athlete & Ethan Lingen is a very consistent player and a good shooter. Nick Mauch is Hankinson's floor general and he brings it every night. Cody is stronger than everyone else and he has very good ball skills for being 6'5".

C. May have carried Hankinson the first 3 quarters and especially the 3rd quarter. N Mauch finally got going the end of the 4th and the 2ots. Kindred didn't do a good job keeping a body on Cody, I actually thought he was to unselfish at times with the ball. Impossible to tell who is gunna be in a winners bracket right now at state, all depends on seedings.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Big Blue wrote:To me, Tuesday evening showed what Region 1 is all about. A very competitive region with a lot of nice teams. On any given night a team in the lower middle part of the standings can beat anyone else. To me, it is the most competitive and deepest region. However, (cue the boos) it is not necessarily a very strong region as far as its top teams competing at the state tournament level. To be honest, I don't see a Region I team in the winner's bracket at the state. Because of how even everyone is, I think the teams will beat each other up pretty good. It will make for an exciting region tournament, but a letdown at state in my opinion.

Good point, Blue. R1 is full of good teams, but maybe, maybe none good enough to go all the way. R1 teams as a rule have the benefit of being challenged every time the take the court, unlike many other region powerhouses. From what I've seen in R1 (I have not seen Hankinson) I'd say Northern Cass and Oak Grove have what it takes to go the distance and win state. NC has the stars while OG has the depth. MNS will represent R1 well if they get there, but won't likely finish above 4th, IMO.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sparty48 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:12 am

In region 1 who do you think has the best Defense? W/L has always been a tough Defensive team, CC has very good man defense and a scary 5-11 team going into the region tourny. Richland is playing very solid defense, holding Logan Nelson and the rest of the power NC team under 14pts, and controling the Mauch boys pretty well. Kindred can play very good D as well, when they want to. Its a toss up really.
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:20 am

Sparty48 wrote:In region 1 who do you think has the best Defense? W/L has always been a tough Defensive team, CC has very good man defense and a scary 5-11 team going into the region tourny. Richland is playing very solid defense, holding Logan Nelson and the rest of the power NC team under 14pts, and controling the Mauch boys pretty well. Kindred can play very good D as well, when they want to. Its a toss up really.

My numbers include all games but here is the skinny that might explain more on who plays defense.

Northern Cass (9-1) over all (15-2) 1183 scored 1030 allowed 69.6 ppg 60.6 papg +9.0
Oak Grove (7-1) over all (11-4) 1125 scored 940 allowed 75 ppg 62.7 papg +12.3
Richland (6-2) over all (12-4) 974 scored 807 allowed 60.8 ppg 50.4 papg +10.4
Lidgerwood-Wyndmere (7-3) over all (13-4) 924 scored 851 allowed 54.4 ppg 50.1 papg +4.3
Milnor-North Sargent (7-3) over all (14-3) 1222 scored 919 allowed 71.8 ppg 54.1 papg +17.7
Hankinson (6-4) over all (12-4) 1008 scored 853 allowed 63 ppg 53.3 papg +12.7
Kindred (4-4) over all (8-7) 888 scored 838 allowed 59.2 ppg 55.9 papg +3.3
Central Cass (3-6) over all (5-11) 839 scored 911 allowed 52.4 ppg 56.9 papg -4.5
Maple Valley (2-6) over all (8-7) 832 scored 788 allowed 55.5 ppg 52.5 papg +3.0
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Sparty48 wrote:In region 1 who do you think has the best Defense? W/L has always been a tough Defensive team, CC has very good man defense and a scary 5-11 team going into the region tourny. Richland is playing very solid defense, holding Logan Nelson and the rest of the power NC team under 14pts, and controling the Mauch boys pretty well. Kindred can play very good D as well, when they want to. Its a toss up really.

You are right; CC is a scary 5-11 team. They give up a respectable 56.4p/g. However I can’t consider them a top defensive team when they give up 3.5p/g more than they score. I have only seen Richland twice. I think they are alright, but I honestly wasn’t overly impressed. 50.4p/g against is good. I talked to a fan that was at their Northern Cass game. He felt that they just sat in a zone and went with the theory, if you are going to beat us, make shots from outside. And it worked. My friend said NC just missed a lot of shots that they typically count on making. I’m hoping to watch the game later today. That site posted earlier in this topic to watch Richland games is pretty nice. I’ve watched Kindred play 3 times. 55.5p/g against is alright but they are a slower paced team, scoring under 60p/g themselves. I haven’t been impressed with their D personally. W/L has the region’s best points against average of 48.5. Their 55.9p/g offense scoring average is the lowest of what I would consider the region’s top teams. Are they not scoring a lot of points because they are so difficult to score on, teams just need a lot of time to find a shot? Or, are they not allowing a lot of points because they hold the ball to run down the shot clock while on offense? I think they are a pretty sound team. But, I don’t think their defensive numbers would look nearly as good if they got the ball up the court and played offensively like an Oak Grove (75p/g), M/NS (71.9p/g), or Northern Cass (69.6p/g).

What is the best way to judge a defense? Points against? Good teams that play with a fast pace would be penalized for getting up and down the court…. Plus minus? I like it better, but to me it favors the teams the teams that push the ball more than the ball control teams….
Here is what I have come up with. What percentage of the points that you score, do you allow? Here is how that list looks…

M/NS 75.2%
Richland 82.7%
Hankinson 83.5%
Oak Grove 83.6%
W/L 86.7%
N. Cass 87.0%
Kindred 94.0%
M/V 94.8%
C.Cass 106.6%
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sparty48 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:51 pm

d_fense wrote:

You are right; CC is a scary 5-11 team. They give up a respectable 56.4p/g. However I can’t consider them a top defensive team when they give up 3.5p/g more than they score. I have only seen Richland twice. I think they are alright, but I honestly wasn’t overly impressed. 50.4p/g against is good. I talked to a fan that was at their Northern Cass game. He felt that they just sat in a zone and went with the theory, if you are going to beat us, make shots from outside. And it worked. My friend said NC just missed a lot of shots that they typically count on making. I’m hoping to watch the game later today. That site posted earlier in this topic to watch Richland games is pretty nice. I’ve watched Kindred play 3 times. 55.5p/g against is alright but they are a slower paced team, scoring under 60p/g themselves. I haven’t been impressed with their D personally. W/L has the region’s best points against average of 48.5. Their 55.9p/g offense scoring average is the lowest of what I would consider the region’s top teams. Are they not scoring a lot of points because they are so difficult to score on, teams just need a lot of time to find a shot? Or, are they not allowing a lot of points because they hold the ball to run down the shot clock while on offense? I think they are a pretty sound team. But, I don’t think their defensive numbers would look nearly as good if they got the ball up the court and played offensively like an Oak Grove (75p/g), M/NS (71.9p/g), or Northern Cass (69.6p/g).

What is the best way to judge a defense? Points against? Good teams that play with a fast pace would be penalized for getting up and down the court…. Plus minus? I like it better, but to me it favors the teams the teams that push the ball more than the ball control teams….
Here is what I have come up with. What percentage of the points that you score, do you allow? Here is how that list looks…

M/NS 75.2%
Richland 82.7%
Hankinson 83.5%
Oak Grove 83.6%
W/L 86.7%
N. Cass 87.0%
Kindred 94.0%
M/V 94.8%
C.Cass 106.6%

Looks good to me! so top 3?
1.M/Ns
2.Richland
3.Hankinson
What about coaches of the region? M/NS up for coach of the region in your opinion?
Sparty48
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I like looking at the numbers that way using % of points you score yourself. But, one flaw in that is not everyone plays the same schedule. I would say that those are probably the top 3 teams as far as defense goes. Not sure if it is the correct order or not.

As far as coaches.... I don't think I would have M/NS's coach up for region's coach of the year. No question he has done a pretty good job with all the rigmarole that goes into new co-ops. I think they have a lot of talent, so a good record isn't a surprise. If I were going to narrow my guess down to 2 teams, I would have to go with W/L and Richland. Both teams are playing not only well, but better than most people, who aren't homers, thought that they would.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

d_fense wrote:I like looking at the numbers that way using % of points you score yourself. But, one flaw in that is not everyone plays the same schedule. I would say that those are probably the top 3 teams as far as defense goes. Not sure if it is the correct order or not.

As far as coaches.... I don't think I would have M/NS's coach up for region's coach of the year. No question he has done a pretty good job with all the rigmarole that goes into new co-ops. I think they have a lot of talent, so a good record isn't a surprise. If I were going to narrow my guess down to 2 teams, I would have to go with W/L and Richland. Both teams are playing not only well, but better than most people, who aren't homers, thought that they would.

Richland coach has my vote right now...they seem to have turned a corner after their loss to Oak Grove.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wan2bqb » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:58 pm

Hosford at W-L gets my vote. Done more with less.
wan2bqb
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 pm

I did mention after the post you sighted that different schedules should factor in. I have no seen a strength of schedule formula worth a darn. do you have one?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Strength of schedule formulas are not needed. I have a formula. Oh wait its just a combined opponents' record of 117-147. Says all you need.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys