Region 8 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 8 16-17

Postby Jack8 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 am

New Town 80 Kenmare 66
New town came out flat in the first quarter with Kenmare scoring the first 14 or 16 points.
Kenmare 27 to 13 after the first quarter,tied at the half and end of 3rd the game was back and forth until the 4th.
This game just shows what New Town is capable of if they stay out of foul trouble.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:31 pm

It looks like Parshall and Stanley are rounding into shape as we get closer to tournament time. Here are my personal power rankings for Region 8 as of right now:

1. Parshall
2. Kenmare
3. Stanley
4. New Town
5. Powers Lake
6. North Shore-Plaza
7. Trinity Christian
8. Watford City
9. Burke County
10. Ray
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm

My ranking are a little different, but I would go like this.
1. Kenmare
2. Parshall
3.Stanley
4. Tcs
5. Newtown
6. North Shore
7. Powers lake
8. Burke County
9. Watford City
10. Mandree

I still think Newtown can win it all, but live by the 3 die by the 3, so also think they could be a quick out vs a good man to man defense.
Kenmare, Parshall, and Stanley I think are the 3 favs, and probably the most complete teams.
Tcs held powerslake to 39 pts and is playing good D as of late, so i feel they match up well vs teams like newtown, North shore, and powers lake.
I think there will be many close games in districts and regionals. A few could be surprising upsets. Thats why i dont think there is any team thats going to run away with it all during tournament time.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ninja_joe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 pm

As far as the top teams go in Region 8, after seeing everyone play this year...the first ball club that actually decided to buckle down & play with hustle on defense will probably come out on top. Not sure if hard nosed defense exists in Region 8 though. No evidence of it so far this year.

Stanley & Parshall -- by far -- have the most talented starting 5. However, neither of these teams plays defense with any sense of urgency & are content to allow lesser teams quality shots. As a fan, you get the sense that these two teams coast. That's a bad habit & you would think they both would learn after getting upset last year by teams with lesser talent in the regional. If they even gave a legit effort on the defensive side for 32 minutes, they would easily meet each other in the regional final...but they probably won't.

TCS & Kenmare --on paper -- not as talented as the above teams...however, they have some pieces and skill players. TCS is capable of beating someone in a regional, just not sure they can string 3 quality games together as they are real dependent on the Smith kid's outside shooting. Then again, if no one plays D, they will be in the hunt. Kenmare probably has the most grit out of all these teams. They have guard play with state tourney experience. That can really help them out. They too though are up & down...they tend to shoot quick & can have trouble with teams that run off of those quick shots. Regional match ups will be important to them.

New Town -- explosive but far too undisciplined with shot selection & sloppy defense on their presses. They give up alot of easy baskets with their style. If they played better defense throughout the game, they would be real tough. But they don't. And will not. Capable of knocking someone off because of getting hot from 3pt range--also capable of getting beat by someone lesser & more disciplined because of shot selection & indifference on defense, especially in the half court --and on the block. It's 2pts every time if you have a post game against these guys.

Sleeper teams = Powers Lake & Lewis-Clark North Shore -- and maybe Watford City(because of their difficult schedule--that experience might pay off this year with competing at tourney time) Powers Lake plays together on both ends. North Shore has the big man & a group of kids who play together too. These teams will beat someone in districts and regionals. Plus they are teams that casual fans will root for because their kids play with sportsmanship, team play, & act accordingly. The rest of the teams listed above all have some arrogance, attitude issues that tend to trigger problems within the teams from time to time and for the casual fan....you don't really pull for them because of that type of behavior displayed on the floor.

Region 8 will be interesting for sure
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:21 am

I could be wrong but if...
Watford looses to Parshall
Tcs beats manderee

District 15 tournament would be
1. Parshall vs 8. Trenton/alex
2. Tcs vs 7. White Shield
3. North Shore vs 6. Manderee
4. Newtown vs 5. Watford city

District 16 I believe is
1. Kenmare-Bye
2. Stanley vs 7. Divide County
3. PowersLake vs 6. Tioga
4. Burke County vs 5. Ray

I think district 15 could be interesting, many upsets could happen.
I think district 16 should be Kenmare/stanley 1 or 2 PL - 3 and Burke - 4....ray may uspet them again tho?
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bentpushrod » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:02 pm

I'd put Burke County above Powers Lake. Burke has beaten Powers Lake twice this season. If they are on their game they can play with anybody in the region. They lead by 12 at halftime against TCS, They couldn't shut Austin Smith down in the second half of that game, lost by about 12 if I remember right. Burke had a two point lead against North Shore with under 30 seconds in the game, but lost. Burke County's Josh Kihle completely shut down North Shore's big man Andes. They can look pretty bad at times as well, Kenmare blew them out, but when they are firing on all cylinders they can play with anyone. They have height, 6'8", 6'6", and a couple 6'3" guys. They only lose one senior after this year. I expect good things with this team.
Bentpushrod
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lakers24 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm

I agree Burke County has been a good team this year. I have seen them play a few times. I also saw them play Tcs and they looked good vs them. I would say the main problem with them is just like they have a couple real nice players, they also have a couple of really weak players. In my opinion they didn't lose to tcs because of Smith, but more because they could handle the pressure tcs put on them with their press. Lead to a lot of easy pts for smith.
Like you said though Khile and a a good player and also a good defender, he has shut down most big guys he has played against. Future is bright for next year!
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Thundersnow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 am

Really excited to watch the District 15 tournament. Other than the first round Parshall/Trenton matchup, every game has the potential to go right down to the wire. The way that Parshall is playing right now, they are the favorites. However, I can see any of the top 5 seeds putting together 3 good games and winning the tournament. The potential semifinals of New Town vs. Parshall and Trinity Christian vs. North Shore-Plaza could be instant classics. Such an even district, it's going to be a great tournament.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:08 am

Yup, cant wait to watch the games tonight! I would love to see another Parshall-Newtown matchup! Such an important district tournament for these teams. Being a top two seed in this district is crucial when it comes to regionals, helps you to avoid Stanley and Kenmare first round. Granted, Newtown was a 3 seed last year and almost pulled off a regional championship. But should be a fun time for class B fans.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:46 pm

After watching the games this weekend I would say I'm impressed with parshall the way they easily beat new town . New town looked like a bunch of individuals out there trying to play one on one. It could be a early region tournament for them IF they beat mandaree on Monday. NSP looked good as well as WTC . The best game on Monday will be NSP vs WC I have NSP by 4 , New Town over mandaree by 8 ,and Parshall over WTC by 25. All district should go to
Foote,Johnson and Simpson from parshall
Smith and Beau from WTC
Lebeau from new town
Andes and Lopez from NSP
Mcgorman from WC
Chase from mandaree
I might have misspelled a few names
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:34 am

Great district 15 tournament, a lot of fun games to watch. Watford City's hard season schedule seems to be paying off, they are playing some good hard basketball. I feel bad of North Shore, they had a great season, and those boys should be proud of what they accomplished this season, future is bright. Newtown had some highs and lows in this tournament, but at this stage it is about surviving and advancing. Trinity had a fine tournament, they should be proud considering they only have 1 starter from last years team that was still there, skurdal was injured last year and the rest were JV players. Parshall looked like a championship team. They were able to get a quick lead off of Foote's 3 pointers and after that held about a 10 pt lead throughout the game. I think TC got within 6, but that was the closest. The region tournament is looking like this...

Stanley vs Watford
Trinity vs Powerslake
Kenamre vs Newtown
Parshall vs Burke County

I think Kenmare/Newtown will be the game to watch opening night. Newtown beat Kenmare about a month ago, so it should be fun to see how that goes. I expect Kenmare to win by 10+ but you never know when it comes to Newtown.
Trinity/powerslake will be the next best game of the night. TC beat PL 54-39 earlier, but PL seems to be playing some good offense as of late. if its a low scoring game i expect TC to win, if it gets in the 60s-70s i would think PL would win.
Stanley and Parshall i think will win by 15+
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Previous

Return to Boys