Region 8 16-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 8 16-17

Postby Jack8 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:08 am

Top teams
1: New Town
2: Stanley
3: Parshall
4: Kenmare
5: Trinity Christian
6: Mandaree
7: White Shield
8: Powers Lake
9: North Shore
10: Burke County
Top players
Steele and Lebeau NT
Both Hanson's Stanley
Simpson and Johnson Parshall
Both Rodin's Kenmare
Smith and Beau from WTC
Chase from Mandaree
Andes from North Shore
Probably missing some just my opinions on players and teams
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Re: Region 8 16-17

Postby bandito380 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm

1. parshall
2. Stanley
3.kenmare
4 new town
5.powers lake
I think these top 4 can switch around depending on who is hot at the time.
Stanley..aadnes and w hanson
parshall simpson foote and Johnson
new town steele lebeau and brady
kenmare rodines and gesz
tc lost too much.
bandito380
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lakers24 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:08 am

I dont see Powers Lake being ahead of Tc. Dont have the height nor the skill players that Tc has. Tc lost to Kenmare by 6, but held the lead through a good portion of the game, including a 22-6 lead in the first and you could argue Kenmare should be a top 10 team in state right now. So I wouldnt be to shocked if trinity gets hot and beats a couple of these "top" teams.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cntrfthrs » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:55 pm

watched parshall play north star last night at the dome....the game was fairly close with north star leading most of the way....the heisler and farosky(?) kids are good players...I dont know what it is...parshalls got talent but just cant seem to get over the hump...played catch-up most of the game...parshalls big 3 of simpson, Moran (johnson) and foote wasnt enough although i will say simpson had an off night compared to other games I've seen him play...kudos to north star...
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:30 pm

Komrosky
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jack8 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:06 am

bandito380 wrote:1. parshall
2. Stanley
3.kenmare
4 new town
5.powers lake
I think these top 4 can switch around depending on who is hot at the time.
Stanley..aadnes and w hanson
parshall simpson foote and Johnson
new town steele lebeau and brady
kenmare rodines and gesz
tc lost too much.

New town does not have a kid name Brady on the varsity
And WTC has two potential all region players in Smith and Beau
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:15 am

Trinity Christian 89 Newtown 77, trinity can play with any team in the region. I wouldn't be so quick to count them out of contention. They lost alot compared to other teams but are still a good team, and have the talent to be competitive in any game. And there is no question that Newtown can beat anyone with the 3 point weapons that they have.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jack8 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:29 am

Powers Lake over Stanley 57 to 53!!
Can anyone at this game say how this game played out?
Foul trouble,hurt player,player out etc.
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Region 8 does not have the most talent in the state, but it may have the most parity. Here's my take on the top 9 teams in the region and I truly believe any of them could potentially get to the state tournament.

Parshall has gone through a coaching change and played a difficult schedule. If they get the ship righted, this slow start may be a distant memory by March.

Stanley probably has the most talented starting 5 in the region. Despite their recent loss to Powers Lake, I would make the Blue Jays the team to beat in District 16.

Trinity Christian is definitely a contender. Austin Smith and Beau Skurdal are the leaders of this energetic, tenacious bunch. They suffered some key injuries that held them back last year, but I would not be shocked if the Crusaders represent Region 8 at state this year.

Kenmare is the defending region champion and it seems like they get overlooked in most Region 8 discussions. They know how to win and are still dangerous.

New Town is built for a single-elimination tournament. We almost saw it last year when they sharp-shot their way past Stanley and Parshall into the region championship. They've already topped 100 points multiple times and always give fits to opposing defenses.

Powers Lake is a bit of an unknown to me as I haven't seen them play in person yet this year. But their recent win over Stanley proves that they are dangerous.

North Shore-Plaza opened eyes when they upset Watford City in a region qualifier last year. Andes and Lopez provide the Wildcats with a nice inside-outside dual threat. They already knocked off New Town and pushed Parshall to overtime.

Watford City will not have a good record when tournament time rolls around. However, the Wolves have some good offensive players and their extremely difficult schedule may pay dividends. The concern for them is that all of these early losses might take its toll psychologically.

Mandaree seems to have benefited from their short stint down in Region 7. The Warriors are exceptionally young, but if they peak at the right time they might scare a few teams during tournament time.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby OlMatt » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:16 am

Jack8 wrote:Powers Lake over Stanley 57 to 53!!
Can anyone at this game say how this game played out?
Foul trouble,hurt player,player out etc.

Wyatt Hanson was out with concussion. Turned into defensive battle from there.
OlMatt
NDPreps Rookie

Postby lakers24 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:04 pm

I agree with everything that thundersnow wrote. I would say only Stanley, kenmare, parshall, Trinity and newtown have a chance to go to state. I think the other teams that he mentioned are playing well and may upset a few teams during the season but would not have a chance come districts and regionals.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby cmplx6 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:32 am

I think we can say now that Kenmare is the top team in region 8.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby lakers24 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:49 pm

Kenmare is currently the top team, yes. Are the beatable? Also yes. Still a region up for grabs.
lakers24
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:57 pm

It does appear that Kenmare has separated itself from the rest of District 16 for now. However, District 15 continues to get more interesting all the time. I was surprised to see Watford City beat Trinity Christian on Saturday, but it does prove they are a contender. There's 3 huge games this week with Parshall at Trinity Christian, Watford City at North Shore-Plaza and New Town at Parshall. If my standings are accurate, all 5 of these teams still have a chance to achieve the #1 seed for the district tournament.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby cmplx6 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 am

Kenmare is dominating every team they are playing right now. Burke County just dropped Powers Lake by 3, they are the 2nd best team in District 16. I don't see any team in District 15 beating Kenmare this season. The two best teams Kenmare played this year were Our Redeemers who they beat by 1, and Bishop Ryan who the lost to by 3. I think that Region 8 will do better than they did last year at the state tournament, but I don't think they will have a top 3 finish. The top 3 Teams in the State this year should look the same as last year.

Northern Cass will win Region 1 again.
Region 2 will be different and will be either Thompson or Hillsboro.
Region 3 will be different and will probably be Carrington.
Region 4 will be won by Four Winds, who will probably win the State Again.
Region 5 Will be Shiloh Christian, again.
Region 6 could be Our Redeemers, Again.
Region 7 will be Trinity, Again.
Region 8 will be Kenmare, Again.

There might be a surprise in Region 1 or Region 6. But 6 of the 8 regions will have the same teams in the State Tournament.
I think if Region 8 gets matched up with Region 1, 2, 3, or 6 in the 1st round, they can advance to the next. But regions 4, 5, and 7 have the three best teams in the state built for a title.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 am

For...
Region 1 I would agree that NC is the favorite, I would put their chances of making it to state at about 25%.
Region 2 I would agree it is either Thompson or HCV. I would lean HCV.
Region 3 I would say is a coin flip between Ellendale and Carrington.
Region 4 is as close to a lock as we have with Four Winds.
Region 5 I think will go to Solen. I just think they are the best team in the region.
Region 6 I don't have a clue. I have not seen any of these teams play this year.
Region 7 DT or Beulah will likely come out on top.
Region 8 Same as region 6 for me.

I agree cmplx6 that Four Winds has a very good chance of taking home the title again, but I don't think any of the private schools will be playing in the evening bracket after the first night. Possible one may, depending on how seeding washes out.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Don't want to hi-jack Region 8 topic, but these are my opinions based on what I've seen and read.

Region 1- NC is the favorite, a lot of contenders though
Region 2- Thompson or HCV IMO
Region 3- I'm going with Linton-HMB, Carrington and Ellendale are contenders
Region 4- Four Winds Minnewauken
Region 5- Shiloh is the favorite, Solen will give them a run for their money
Region 6- Not very familiar with this region, I'll say Bishop Ryan, Our Reedemers, Berthold
Region 7- Trinity will be everyone's pick, but there are a number of teams that could challenge
Region 8- Kenmare is good, but I'm going to go with Stanley. Just my opinion
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 pm

The Schwab wrote:Region 3- I'm going with Linton-HMB, Carrington and Ellendale are contenders

I agree. Linton HMB playing very good ball at this point and Carrington continues to impress. Ellendale needs to keep getting better. Could be some dark horses in the mix.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:Region 3- I'm going with Linton-HMB, Carrington and Ellendale are contenders

I agree. Linton HMB playing very good ball at this point and Carrington continues to impress. Ellendale needs to keep getting better. Could be some dark horses in the mix.

Linton HMB could absolutely make it. The reason I didn't put them down is because i didn't want to go 3 deep. I think there are 3 real contenders in that region and LHMB has or likely will have the most difficult road. Because of the district format they likely will have to beat both Carrington and Ellendale to make it, while the other district winner in my opinion will only face one major test in the regional tourney.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby cmplx6 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:32 pm

The Schwab wrote:Don't want to hi-jack Region 8 topic, but these are my opinions based on what I've seen and read.

Region 1- NC is the favorite, a lot of contenders though
Region 2- Thompson or HCV IMO
Region 3- I'm going with Linton-HMB, Carrington and Ellendale are contenders
Region 4- Four Winds Minnewauken
Region 5- Shiloh is the favorite, Solen will give them a run for their money
Region 6- Not very familiar with this region, I'll say Bishop Ryan, Our Reedemers, Berthold
Region 7- Trinity will be everyone's pick, but there are a number of teams that could challenge
Region 8- Kenmare is good, but I'm going to go with Stanley. Just my opinion

Stanley? I'm going to say that Kenmare beats Stanley by 30 points.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Stranger things have happened.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Schwab you haven't liked Kenmare since football season.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:12 pm

cmplx6 wrote:Schwab you haven't liked Kenmare since football season.

G14: R6 #2 Kenmare-Bowbells (7-2) @ R5 #2 Richardton-Taylor-Hebron (6-2) I know Kenmare has a prolific passing game, but RTH is one of the best coached programs I've seen (not saying that Kenmare isn't, I'm just more familiar with RTH's program). RTH by 6

I could see any of the 8 teams winning this weekend:
Kenmare B BC/North Prairie- Kenmare like to chuck the rock, North Prairie has been pretty dominant. If the weather is good I'd expect a shootout. I'll take NP by 18

This is what I've said this year about Kenmare, don't know how that means I don't like them. Just making predictions. Didn't say anything negative about them
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby cmplx6 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:33 pm

The Schwab wrote:
cmplx6 wrote:Schwab you haven't liked Kenmare since football season.

G14: R6 #2 Kenmare-Bowbells (7-2) @ R5 #2 Richardton-Taylor-Hebron (6-2) I know Kenmare has a prolific passing game, but RTH is one of the best coached programs I've seen (not saying that Kenmare isn't, I'm just more familiar with RTH's program). RTH by 6

I could see any of the 8 teams winning this weekend:
Kenmare B BC/North Prairie- Kenmare like to chuck the rock, North Prairie has been pretty dominant. If the weather is good I'd expect a shootout. I'll take NP by 18

This is what I've said this year about Kenmare, don't know how that means I don't like them. Just making predictions. Didn't say anything negative about them

I'm just giving you a hard time. You are one of the only people on here that write up things worth reading. And you were very generous to Kenmare with that NP prediction, they got killed.

I think if any team in region 8 will beat them it will be New Town, maybe Parshall if they get hot.
cmplx6
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:55 pm

My prediction of Stanley was based on what I saw from them this summer. They have some big, athletic kids. Kenmare I know has a good PG. I saw New Town this summer and one game on BEK this year, they can flat out stroke. I have a tough time picking a team that relies so much on the "3" in a regional tournament, that's why I didn't pick New Town, but I know they can beat any team in region 8.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys