Region 6 2016-17

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Region 6 2016-17

Postby RabidFan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:23 am

Region 6 will be very strong this season, but most of the strength will come from teams in District 12. The first poll of the year has two teams from District 12 in the top 10 (Ryan and D-L-B) and another on the received votes list (ORCS). It is very hard to say who will come out on top of District 12. In addition to those teams listed, Berthold should be strong this year. I don't believe they graduated any starters from last years team. They have an early season match up against Stanley (on the RV list in the first poll) and that should help judge how they will be this season. M-L-S is also in the mix in District 12 and they have one of the best young players in the state in Isaac Undlin. He had a good season last year and alot is expected of him this year. If he gets good support from the rest of his team, they could be a force in the district and region. I really think that it is possible that all five of these teams (Ryan / D-L-B / ORCS / Berthold / M-L-S) could end up in the top 10 poll at some time this season. I also think it will be very difficult to get through the district season undefeated for any of these teams. Picking who will win is very hard. There is no clear favorite as far as I can see. D-L-B lost the least to graduation (compared to Ryan graduating two all district players and ORCS losing 4 of their starters, three of whom were all district). D-L-B was playing very well at the end of their season last year. At present, I would call them the favorite to win the district. But, I am not confident enough to even bet a nickle on that at this point in the season.

District 11 will not be as strong. I think District 12 teams will dominate the region this season like they did last season. With that said, I think the newly co-oped Velva-Sawyer team will be interesting to watch. They have an early season tournament that should put them up against either Kenmare or ORCS. It will be interesting to see if they are competitive or can win against those tough opponents. If they develop player chemistry, they are my favorite in district 11. Rugby is a large school with an established program. They had a disappointing end of their season, both at the district tournament and region tournament, but they will always contend in the district. Drake-Anamoose lost their two best players to graduation so I do not think they will contend for the championship this season. To round out my top 4 in the district, I would put in Bottineau and TGU.

When the Region tournament rolls around, I expect the top three teams at the end to all be District 12 teams. I think it will be D-L-B, Ryan and ORCS. No idea who will actually win. That is my outlook. I am interested to hear what others think. What are some other guesses on who wins District 12? Does anyone else think I am being too hard on District 11?
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Region 6 2016-17

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:56 am

Definitely agree that in Region 6, District 12 will be stronger. I would say top 2 in district 12 being Ryan and DLB. ORCS not far behind there. It will be a fun region to watch this year. Like you said, Berthold and MLS could also make some noise. I don't think at any point all five of those teams will have a spot in the polls though. Just too many good teams around the state.
I don't think you're being too hard on District 11. Across the board, they've been down for a few years with the exception of Rugby and Drake-Anamoose. Bottineau is getting better and Velva-Sawyer could be decent. It'll be interesting to see when we move into February what the records and scores have been of a lot of these games.
Top Four:
District 11 - 1)Rugby 2)Velva-Sawyer 3)Bottineau 4)TGU
District 12 - 1)Ryan 2)DLB 3)ORCS 4)MLS
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:42 am

Winner of this region will be Ryan,DLB or Berhold.imo
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Now that we're into late January, what are people thinking about Region 6? Obv D12 is stronger. If I have to pick now, I'm still sticking with Rugby out of 11 and Ryan out of 12.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby RabidFan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:59 am

After the week that ORCS has had in District 12, they now look like a lock to win the regular season district title. They beat DLB earlier and just beat Ryan last night. That should give them the #1 seed in the District tournament. Ryan and DLB still have a regular season game against each other to determine who will get the #2 & #3 seed. This assumes that ORCS can defeat Glenburn, MLS and Berthold - their remaining district games.
Berthold could be a tough game for ORCS or for Ryan but I think they will lose both those games. If they can win both, there is still room for some surprises in District 12.

For District 11, I have no idea what is going on. I thought Rugby, but they just lost to Bottineau last night, making Bottineau the likely regular season District champ. At the beginning of the year, I thought Velva/Sawyer might be a good team, but they have come up short (currently second to last in the district).

That is just the regular season, when the District tournament comes, the D12 top teams have played so close during the regular season, there cannot be any certainty about who will emerge. For now, I'll pick ORCS since they have shown the ability to close out tough games with these last two wins over DLB and Ryan.
For D11, I still think it will be Rugby, even with their recent loss to Bottineau.
RabidFan
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys